Is the Shingles Vaccine now available in Thailand?

bonzersmom

I was just in California last week and enquired at a Walgreens. The pharmacist told me their price was $230, and only available without a physician's prescription to those under 60 yo. Younger than 60, they need a prescription.

She also went on to explain that this is a very delicate vaccine. It comes on two components - one is a powder that must be kept frozen at all times, and then carefully mixed with a diluent just before injection. This all sort of makes me wonder whether the bargain price vaccination clinics in Thailand are handling the vaccine properly. Or worse yet, that they are genuine.

There are two components on the vaccine and both should be kept at 4-8 degree Celsius. No freezer required. Surely you can check out http://www.merck.ca/assets/en/pdf/products/ci/ZOSTAVAX_II-CI_E.pdf

I don't know where the pharmacist get the wrong information from.

Well, she was a qualified pharmacist and was the person giving the Zostavax vaccines, so I took what she said as accurate. I dunno, maybe she got her information here, where it says:

To maintain potency, ZOSTAVAX must be stored frozen between -58°F and +5°F (-50°C and -15°C).

Or maybe here, where it says:

Lyophilized zoster vaccine must be kept frozen at -50 to -15°C.1 (See Storage under Stability.) Reconstitute immediately following removal from the freezer.1

Surely you can check those as well, and then reply with your own professional judgement.

You are right, and it was instructed on the website, my apologies to you and your pharmacist. Will attached the photo of the instruction on the Zostavax imported by MDS thailand where I have the information from. It says to keep at 2-8 C or colder so I guess colder could be at the temperature mentioned on the Merck website.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Just went to Chiang Mai Ram to see the dermatologist about a spot on my chest. Asked her about the vaccine and she didn't think it was available there. She contacted the hospital pharmacy after I mentioned other places have it and they came back saying they now have it but so new that it wasn't in the records yet. 8,000 Baht was the quote. So appears it is slowly becoming more available.

I got the vaccine in the US 2 years ago.

Developed shingles a few days back but compared to what shingles usually is, a very mild case.

I am in the middle of a very intensive work assignment, 16 hour days , tight deadlines and no possibility of taking time off. As my case is unusually mild I can manage but I don't know what I would have done had it been a "typical" case as that is not something one can forego strong pain killers for. Thank goodness I had the vaccine. It does not always prevent an outbreak (as I am living proof) but if there is one it will be much milder, as I can now also testify to.

Indeed it appears to help most people even if it does not prevent entirely - well worth the relatively high price in my view but until now not an option for those not making trips outside Thailand so very happy to hear some actual reports of it becoming available.

I had shingles( Herpes Zoster ) just two months ago, not too severe, treated by the doctor for about 4wks, no after affects. What the doctor did tell me, that once you have had shingles as a over 55 that you will not get the shingle virus again, is this correct?.

I had shingles( Herpes Zoster ) just two months ago, not too severe, treated by the doctor for about 4wks, no after affects. What the doctor did tell me, that once you have had shingles as a over 55 that you will not get the shingle virus again, is this correct?.

Not entirely correct but the percentage of re-occurrence is reduced considerably.

For the new study on shingles recurrence, researchers at the Olmsted Medical Center in Rochester, Minn., examined medical records of nearly 1,700 patients who had a documented case of shingles between 1996 and 2001. They found that more than 5% of them were treated for a second episode within an average of eight years—about the same rate as would typically experience a first case.

Harvard Medical

• Your short-term chances of getting shingles again are very low. One study of people over age 60 found that only 1% got shingles again within about 3 years. Having shingles once lowers your chances of getting it a second time, at least for a while.
  • Over time, your chances of a second bout go up. Another study found that within 7 years, the odds of getting it again may be almost 6% in people 22 and older. That's about the same as the odds of getting shingles the first time.

WebMed

Shingles is not an old people's disease. Anyone under a lot of stress OR who has had chicken pox in the past can get this. The chicken pox goes away but leaves a residual that lays dorment in your system that can come back at any time...even yeras later as in my husband's case.. My husband got it last year. Over his head and one eye....a very unusual place. He still has severe pain in the eye and head after all this time. We ar also looking for a vaxcine for this so if enyone can find one, please let us know...we cannot travel to Sikngapore...lol

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, this just in. That's a good price, I paid $207 in the U.S. four years ago, about baht 6,600.

Mac

Good morning.We would like to inform you that we already have Zostazax(Shingles) vaccine in Vibhavadi hospital.
The cost is Baht 6,820(medicine only)&Doctor fee and service charge (about Baht 700-800).
Best regards,
International Service Department
Vibhavadi Hospital
Bangkok, Thailand.
Tel + 66 2 9412800 ext 1242
Fax +66 2 9412169

Email 07 JAN 2015 Re: Zostavax for Shingles

Thank you for sending us an email but I'm sorry to tell you that we do not have this kind of vaccine in our hospital.

Best regards,

(name)

International Coordinator
International Service Department
Vibhavadi Hospital
Bangkok, Thailand

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the middle of an attack right now of Herpes Zoster started about 3 weeks ago no rash but my left side became sore to touch and was burning like sunburn.

A week ago sores started to bust out on the same side, I can tell you they are very very painful, was quick to the doc and prescribed Falerm 400 two tabs every 4 hours, this seems to be the drug of choice these days

I must admit today I am a little optimistic as they have gone a deep red colour and the new spots don't appear to be developing, and the pain is not so bad

Not had a drink this year, that's painful also.

P.S Edit

No internet over the new year, thanks Sophon, and a/c packed up NYE needs new part still waiting for (just when I really need to keep cool)

So I feel pretty peeded off right now

Edited by bartender100

If you have ever had shingles then you would know that even if the odds are against a reoccurrence, hedge your bets with the vaccine, no matter what it costs

Have been told by female sufferers that childbirth was a walk in the park compared to the pain of shingles

It is so painful because, unlike other viruses, the shingles virus is trying to get out of the body via the nerves that lead to the skin and those nerves can be damaged so you can suffer long term pain even after your shingles symptoms go away. Especially dangerous in the neck area since it can travel to your eye via the facial nerves

Mine was on the left knee and it took almost ten years for the nerve pain to go away completely

• 6 months later...

Zostavax is AFAIK is not yet available/authorised for use in Thailand

My Doctor's surgery in Chiang Mai has had a poster on her walls for a year or more, recommending that us oldies have shingles vaccinations.

Yes, it has been available for 2 or more years.

I went to Mission Hospital today in the Ratchathewi area of BKK, and the pharmacist there checked and quoted me 5,300 baht for the Zostavax vaccine.

That's their fee for the vaccine itself, not including the related doctor visit that would be required to obtain it, though at Mission, the doctor fee is going to be less than 1,000 baht for sure.

• 3 months later...

Vaccine to late for me as I am in the middle of an outbreak.   Treatment is Falerm 400 ,  I just started the second week. Cost for 1 week was 735 baht from Fascino in Pattaya . Also there is a Falerm 400 cream for the sores applied at the same time you take the tablets .  If I had known earlier about the availability of the vaccine I certainly would have gotten the shot .