Surapong wrong to ask for ICC involvement: Prasarn

webfact

POLITICS
Surapong wrong to ask for ICC involvement: Prasarn

BANGKOK: -- Senator Prasarn Marukpitak on Monday criticised caretaker Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul's bid to engage an international court to pass judgement on the 2010 bloody crackdown.

Prasarn said that the crackdown ordered by Abhisit Vejjajiva government does not meet the criteria for cases handled by the International Criminal Court (ICC).

He and other senators travelled to the Hague in April last year and met ICC's President Song Sang Hyun. Song was asked about the reports that red shirts leaders intended to submit a petition to the ICC against Abhisit government concerning the 2010 crackdown.

Prasarn quoted Song as saying that he had not yet received any petition concerning the issue. However, he said, if the petition came in, it would not fall under the jurisdiction of the ICC as his agency considers only cases involving genocide, crimes against humanity, war criminal and criminal invasion.

Moreover the allegations have already been considered in the Thai Court, Song said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-07

Surapong may go down in history as the ''runt'' of the Shinawat family llitter. He is like a 2 year old kid trying to walk/run in a adults boots, he lacks a decade or so of knowing that the boots are made for different feet, much less how to navigate with the load he assumed.

To give him credit, he does seem clueless to thr responsibilities of all the tasks he has been assigned, after his deliverly boy initation.

• Like 2

Surapong.

You are a disgrace, and are no different than a school bully running around the playground pushing people around, and then when you get your butt kicked, you run crying to not the headmaster, but instead to the minister of trade and commerce....... of Latvia.

Doesn't make sense does it?..... and neither do you.

Little point in going to the ICC, when the military have already been given a free-pass, plus it looks like an clear attempt to pressure PTP's political opposition, the sort of thing which usually happens in Cambodia, perhaps that's where the Big Boss got the idea from ?

The caretaker-FM should stop posturing for foreign governments, nobody really swallows it anyway IMO, and help his caretaker-PM/DM find a way out of the mess instead.

Little point in going to the ICC, when the military have already been given a free-pass, plus it looks like an clear attempt to pressure PTP's political opposition, the sort of thing which usually happens in Cambodia, perhaps that's where the Big Boss got the idea from ?

The caretaker-FM should stop posturing for foreign governments, nobody really swallows it anyway IMO, and help his caretaker-PM/DM find a way out of the mess instead.

Without trying to sound unPC,look at the guy,remember what he has done and said,I have seen chimps look more intelligent. and do more intelligent things than this moron ( no insult intended towards morons ).

I know "saving face" is a big topic in Thailand but I think the public worldwide has a interest to know who is responsible for the death of 89 people. Relax people (specially falang) just take as a history lesson.

Someone has something to hide and it´s interesting to look behind the curtain.

I know "saving face" is a big topic in Thailand but I think the public worldwide has a interest to know who is responsible for the death of 89 people. Relax people (specially falang) just take as a history lesson.

If you read the OP you'll see why people are right to say Surapong has made a fool of himself yet again. If the public worldwide is interested then they should ask why it is taking so long for the alleged guilty parties to be brought to face charges by the DSI. They aren't going to flee the scene like the DSI's boss so why the delay?

The words glasshouses, throw and stones come to mind.

• Like 1

I would be pleased, if international courts start looking at Thailand: 2005, 2010, 2013/14 and the killings of thousands 2001-4 too.

You may ask your self, who is in power?

I would be pleased, if international courts start looking at Thailand: 2005, 2010, 2013/14 and the killings of thousands 2001-4 too.

Correct in every instance Thaksin was the driving reason.

Had he left Yingluck alone she might I say might have had a chance at doing a passable job.

I take Surapongs request as a sign of desperation. He knows full good and well that there are no grounds for the charges against Abhist and Suthep. They were and are just red herrings to take the spot light off of the corruption of the PTP and violence created by the red shirts in 2010.

They have no legal support what so ever in Thailand and he is just grabbing at straws.

• Like 1

Yes both Thaksins WOD 2718 people dead and Tak Bai 78 people dead.

• Like 1

With all the killing, murder, death in the world, currently, do you really think there is much 'worldwide' interest in 89 deaths that happened four years ago? Compare them to the deaths i Central Africa Republic, South Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, etc. that are ongoing NOW. Even if there was interest in what happened four years ago, is the ICC really the best venue? The ICC's President Song Sang Hyun said it would not fall under the jurisdiction of the ICC as his agency considers only cases involving genocide, crimes against humanity, war criminal and criminal invasion. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, when he was first appointed by Ms Yingluck to the post, publicly stated he had no experience in this field. That inexperience didn't stop him, in the face of opposition from all his senior, career diplomats, from following orders from a convicted felon in Dubai and sending the controversial letter. They call people like him an apparatchik. He is an embarrassment to the diplomatic profession and really an embarrassment to Thailand. Talk about 'face'. He lost it.

I'll bet you're one of those guys always talking about the mysterious, nefarious 'third hand'.

• Like 1

Correct in every instance Thaksin was the driving reason.

Had he left Yingluck alone she might I say might have had a chance at doing a passable job.

I take Surapongs request as a sign of desperation. He knows full good and well that there are no grounds for the charges against Abhist and Suthep. They were and are just red herrings to take the spot light off of the corruption of the PTP and violence created by the red shirts in 2010.

They have no legal support what so ever in Thailand and he is just grabbing at straws.

So a minister of a government who has tried to bring in an Amnesty Bill that would have covered these events, is trying to get an international court to look at those very same events. That Bill was not only clearly rejected by a lot of people (probably the majority of the entitled voter) as well as the very people that that would have been covered by the Amnesty Bill.

Hypocritical?

• Like 1

Without trying to sound unPC,look at the guy,remember what he has done and said,I have seen chimps look more intelligent. and do more intelligent things than this moron ( no insult intended towards morons ).

I think it's probably more productive to discuss the caretaker-FM's actions, pronouncements & policies, rather than his personal appearance, unless of course there's a caption-competition seeking for humour resulting from an especially fine photograph ? wai2.gif

There have been cases of very fine minds, coming in odd-looking bodies, then again there's Surapong.

Surapong, this shining example of clueless ineptitude tried to involve the UN Secretary General, Barack Obama and now the International Criminal Court, who all tell him it's not their business to meddle in Thai affairs...Wonder who is next on his list: Santa Klaus? Al Qaeda? NASA? Barney the Purple Dinosaur? Jet Li?

Can't wait for Yingluck's removal and this fellow then becoming caretaker PM...