Why We Ride

seedy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It Is that you RIDE.

Well said and that's the crux of bike ownership for many but not all. For some it seems to be just about ownership.

As far as the "why" goes. I ride because I like to. It doesn't matter what I'm riding at any particular time; whether it's a small bike locally or a bigger bike on longer trips. I enjoy the experience every time.

If some-one had reason to ask 'why I enjoy it' they would never understand the answer.

Jerry

"Biking and motorcycles in Thailand forum. Post and read here about trips, modifications and accessories for motorbikes, questions about anything motorbike related."

Thanks.I see on this forum a great variety of posts - riding Honda Waves, Chinese bikes. No one style over another in my mind.

Brings to mind the old adage ...

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

• Like 2

I have a pretty good idea of what you ride, and what your own prejudices are.

You are assuming that I have a prejudice against sportbike Riders - not so.

You state that this is primarily a sportbike forum - it is not.

I have a prejudice - as I stated in my post - against people who have the attitude that anyone who does not think as they do is an idiot.

The a** in the air comment was an attempt to inject some levity into the post. I have owned that style of bike.

Edited by seedy

I have a pretty good idea of what you ride, and what your own prejudices are.

You are assuming that I have a prejudice against sportbike Riders - not so.

You state that this is primarily a sportbike forum - it is not.

I have a prejudice - as I stated in my post - against people who have the attitude that anyone who does not think as they do is an idiot.

The a** in the air comment was an attempt to inject some levity into the post. I have owned that style of bike.

It came across as an attempt to differentiate yourself from a particular group (which is fine- I did the same thing- when it comes to motorcycles, that's a natural thing to do considering that the niches available to us are very specific).

If you want to cast your net wide enough you can find a lot of commonality, but considering that bikes are more-or-less purpose-built (of course with some overlap), you're also going to to find a lot of differences, and those differences are magnified in the anonymous fishbowl of a forum.

We're never all going to gather around a campfire and sing 'Kumbaya', but we're not going to leave each other stranded on the side of the road either (at least I hope not).;)

I see this as primarily a sportbike forum as a lot of members ride them, and that's what I take notice of- certainly it's meant to be a rider's forum regardless of bike type, and there's room for everybody- I didn't mean the forum's specific purpose was to be a sportbike community.

That said no one who likes cruising is ever going to see the real point of a sportbike, and someone who loves tight twisties is never going to intrinsically get the desire for a large cruiser- on a discussion forum, people tend to defend their choices, and things often get heated in a way they never would face-to-face.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I agree Seedy...100%.

RSD states Yes,this is predominantly a sportbike board, and that's where the bias will always lie- frankly, if I owned an HD, I wouldn't post here nearly as often- I'd find a board with more like-minded riders. So the simple answer is, if you are not interested in a particular thread because it is about HD's or scooters, simply ignore it. We don't have to have your opinion about everything.

When I have asked for help, the vast majority of posters have been very helpful, but as you say there are a few that think they know everything and get upset if they feel you are not taking their "expert advice" as gospel, and of course the trolls.

I think many of these Soi Dogs do think this forum is exclusively for them and their own particular interests. They rarely reason their views logically, preferring instead to brag about their vast and extensive experience as a hard-ass biker.

I guess I am fortunate that I own a sports/cruiser cross ( I guess) and have no particular axe to grind with either, or indeed any camp. I have a friend who has a Harley, not my choice, but obviously his, but most importantly he a good bloke, at any rate I would happily ride with anyone and anytime.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 2

OK, i eat the bait and lets say i am what OP describes as soi dog here!!!

OP, this is a free forum man, we have a chance to post whatever we like.

And it is all about a ride for a honda wave owner but for me it is a combination of what i ride, how i ride, when i ride, where i ride, which gear, physics of a ride, track, thrill, fun, blood, tears and many more!

You are swimming in the shallow waters if riding is just riding for you!

Edited by ll2

I met a fellow called John (now sadly deceased) from the GT-Rider Forum at Chumphon Bike Week in 2007 I think it was. He had ridden to Chumphon from Phuket on a Honda Wave. Well-impressed!

'Real Bike' = my Schwinn, 0 cc.

It's more of a real bike than what some here (Lifan etc.) are 'riding'.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

OK, i eat the bait and lets say i am what OP describes as soi dog here!!!

OP, this is a free forum man, we have a chance to post whatever we like.

And it is all about a ride for a honda wave owner but for me it is a combination of what i ride, how i ride, when i ride, where i ride, which gear, physics of a ride, track, thrill, fun, blood, tears and many more!

You are swimming in the shallow waters if riding is just riding for you!

See, you have just clarified the OPs comments...

I'm sure your smile is no bigger than mine after a few hours in the saddle, so shallow water ?? Mate I'm swallow diving into the deep blue :)

I once rode my PCX from Bangkok to Yasothon. Took me over 10 hrs (including stops for fuel, food, coffee, cigarettes etc). I was fully geared up with a full face helmet, Komine mesh jacket and trousers, proper riding boots, gloves etc. It was fun if a bit scary at times when going over 100 km/h. Somehow, scooters are not that stable when going fast.

• Like 1

Cornishcarlos You are a brave man, riding a Wave to Surathani. Dont the big trucks and buses almost blow you off the road as they pass.

Yup..... Got run off the road by a small truck in Phuket, on the last 10km of my trip over last month :)

I knew it was coming though, so had an escape route planned.. Waves can handle a little off road now and again !!

OP is angry for being classified, in the meantime he has no problems on classifying people as soi dogs.

You now, some chase and some get their ass bitten. Rule of the world. Which one you are OP?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same same for the scooter category. The PCX contingent really has some attitude. No?

What do we call them? Soi puppies?

Especially the guys riding the RED ones !!!

Soi Puppies 555

I've ridden all over Thailand (north of Samui) and Cambodia on bikes 100-135 cc.

Fun mak mak.

I recently went over to the "other side" a bit and purchased a CBR250.

We'll see how that works out.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

Might be of interest to some. Years ago I imported a Kenny Roberts Replica 500.When I paid my Life Insurance some Jobsworth noticed the payment came from BKK Bank. They did their homework, found out I no longer lived in an E.U Country, and sent me a list of Tings that would increase my premiums. I found Sky Diving, Base Jumping,rather easy to give up,but Sell Me Bike, well, I did, as back was killing me anyway, just a heads up.Get a Mate at home to pay the Premiums .

Same same for the scooter category. The PCX contingent really has some attitude. No?

What do we call them? Soi puppies?

What's wrong with the PCX contingent? Have not read many controversial posts from PCX owners.

Most of the questionable posts are from posters who don't actually say what bikes they are riding, just what they USED to ride.

• Like 2