Phuket gibbon rehabilitation center

keestha

Does anybody have information about the Phuket gibbon rehabilitation center, where gibbons living in captivity are supposed to be rehabilitated so they can live as wild animals in the natural habitat? It is close to Bang Pae waterfall in the northern part of the island.

Is it worth going to, and do they charge an admission price?

I went a few years back, its in the national park so you pay a entrance about 200 baht from memory

Supposed to be a waterfall, all i saw were rapids,the gibbons are kept in a couple of small cages under

the tree's like a zoo, just a cash cow unless things have changed, which they may have

I would not go back, much better national parks in Khao lak and more to see at the zoo including gibbons

The Gibbon project education/rehabilitation center is located just before the way to the waterfall. To get to the waterfall itself (about 7m high, not very large) you need to walk about 100 meters up to the path.

There is not too much to see, but you can get an introduction to the project and gibbons at the center.

The project itself is larger. They keep the hepatitis etc infected gibbons at Bang Rong compound, which is not available for public. These animals are the ones, which can not be released to the wild or new to the project and therefore kept under keepers eyes.

The gibbons which are at the rehabilitation center are planned to be released to the national park mountain, west of the center. It's also restricted area.

To hear gibbons sing, I think the best time is to visit the center late afternoon.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Namtok+Bang+Toei/@8.0429641,98.3941527,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x30503600d6cd103f:0xc1715c5a20c5fb9a

http://www.gibbonproject.org/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297937-d553534-Reviews-Gibbon_Rehabilitation_Project-Thalang_District_Phuket.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GRP-Gibbon-Rehabilitation-Project/320420134665959

It's a farce.

First off you will be chased by the gatekeeper to pay the ridiculous National Park fee. Why should anyone be paying a park fee when just over the mountain at Naithon and Layan hundreds of rai of National Park forest are being clear felled for development?

Secondly, the caged gibbons are nothing short of depressing.

Thirdly, the water in the waterfall is not fit for swimming in.

Go to the Phuket Aquarium instead. It is ok...not great...but ok...and if you have a Thai drivers licence you can get in for 50THB.

I think within the context of what's trying to be achieved, it's OK. However, the ever increasing pressure on natural habitats anywhere in Phuket is exactly that, ever increasing with seemingly no likelihood of sincere and sustainable environmental management. Regretably, animal welfare and government land husbandry is secondary to the need for a red plated Mercedes.

The debate on farang fees for National Park entry has been done to death. In the larger scheme of things, it's not that big a deal, annoying though it is. The areas and hillside of the rehabilitation centre are quite tranquill (note that the 'waterfall' is currently dry), and I would certainly recommend having a lunch at Peang Prai (the nearby restaurant - check out a post I have in the recommended local restaurants thread on the 13th February this year).

For somebody coming from Khao Lak, I'd say not worth a specific visit, only if you happened to be in the area and could be included in an itinerary of other things to see/do.

Thirdly, the water in the waterfall is not fit for swimming in.

Why, what happened to the water?

BTW, I have never paid to get access to the Gibbon center. I just ignore any park keeper because both the Gibbon center and the commercial restaurants are strictly outside the national park area, (commercial ventures are not allowed in national parks, are they?)

The park keeper should collect fees at the start of the steps that lead to the waterfall. Of course, then he wouldn't be able to fleece unsuspecting tourists would he.

In general, when trying to avoid payment of an unjustified fee, it helps if people think you are mad.... I avoid many such fees by scaring peope with my wild and crazy looks.... :)

• Like 1

Hmmm...animals kept in cages...a waterfall with no water...and a rainforest that has no old growth whatsoever and is comprised almost entirely of feral flora...

And a 200THB admission fee, that is collected under false pretenses...and of which, not a satang goes to the preservation or upkeep of the NP.

Like I said the first time...

A farce.

1. The gibbons are kept in cages as they are prepared for re-introduction to the wild. This is mainly for their protection as they would otherwise end up back with the photographers. In any event these cages are 5 star accommodation compared to what they came from.

2. There is water in the waterfall, especially now after the recent rains. I grant you it is not Niagara but a nice spot none-the-less

3. Have you hiked right up into the forest? I suggest you do before making uninformed comments about the presence of old growth.

4. Likewise, do you have detailed knowledge of the NP finances? If "not a satang goes to the preservation or upkeep of the NP" who is paying for the rangers that patrol the forest and help protect the gibbons that have been released there? Or the workers sweeping the leaves at the entrance and clearing the garbage? Or the upkeep of the car park?

Edited by LivinginKata
insult removed