It's begun! Wet today!

FolkGuitar

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit daft, I hope it's not big buckets, or I hope they're being very selective, because people aren't dressed or prepared for it. Even the Thais are complaining about the lack of respect or consideration being shown at this time of year.

I was lucky. I wasn't dressed for getting yet yet. When the Thai fellow saw me coming, he scrambled to fill his water canon and started to aim. I waved him off and he smiled, gave me a wave, and didn't fire. The next bunch, at a different location, was a Thai family with pre-teen kids armed with water canons, but I squeaked through as they were reloading. But they were shooting at everyone who passed by. Tomorrow I'll dress for the party, put my camera in a scuba housing, and go get wet!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

Two years ago I was walking down a street on the tenth when I saw two kids across the street with a bucket of water. They saw me and proceeded to cross the street. I just stood there and put my hand out for them to pour water on and they did. That was it.wai.gif

• Like 1

Songkran is only 2 days away, usually it start 1 week a head in the remote area

Yep! Remote parts of Loi Khraw road and Huay Kaew Rd. had water throwers today... the 10th. I'm guessing it will go on until at least Tuesday.

Think of the evolution of Koh Phangan's Full Moon Party... now there is a big Half Moon Party and in some parts of the island Quarter Moon Parties! People come to Thailand just for the Full Moon Party just as they do for Songkran in Chiang Mai. Who knows? Perhaps in a few years Songkran water throwing will last all month!

• Like 1

IMO, there was not enough water throwing to make this an official "day." I road around the tourist area on my bicycle a little later in the day with no incidents at all and no one was playing at Thapae Gate. There are always a few morons that start early, but it would have just been bad luck getting hit today. However, I know that is no consolation if you are the one that gets soaked with all your documents and such.

• Like 1

Saw nothing on Huay Gaew but there was one kid with one of those water sticks at Thapae Gate. Nothing to get concerned about....but maybe I'll take a plastic baggie with me tomorrow to protect the phone.

12yrs ago was a happy event thai people splashing little water on shoulders for luck everyone enjoyed now the stupid brainless farang have no life in on country come here and try to ruin thai ways because have money to put ice in water drums and big water guns to make songkran a misery for everyone only druken bar girls with there stupid young and old hasbeens trying to impress there hookers i talk about cm maybe yl and clan can fix problem in cm cheers happy songkran stay home

Five years ago as now I had only arrived in Thailand a few days before and had never heard of Songkran. One morning I went out to get some breakfast and as I was walking along I saw some kids playing with water outside their home. That looks fun I thought. Then, as I passed, they threw buckets of water at ME. That's not nice I thought, thinking maybe it was maybe because I was a foreigner. I smiled and crossed the road to make my back home and change and then bugger me the same thing happened again from another lot. Then I saw I was not the only one getting the treatment so it dawned on me maybe this was some kind of ritual. So I joined in the fun and had a good time.

Three years ago I was walking along with the crowd near Thaepae (CM) when the biggest Thai guy I ever did see suddenly stepped out in front of me and threw a massive bucket of water at me with such force it literally knocked me backwards off my feet. That DID seem to be deliberately aimed at a farang. (My girlfriend gave him such a telling off I don't know what she said but whatever it was he looked shamefaced and actually apologised).

Two years ago, at about the same place, out of the corner of my eye I saw this little weedy guy swinging a full bucket round his head and launch it quite purposefully directly at me. No doubt about intent this time but the little weed ran away before I could gather myself. (It hit my leg and I was badly bruised and in pain for quite some days afterwards while I thought about how he would be feeling if only I could have got my hands on him). I have to say my Thai friends were genuinely concerned not only for what had happened to me but also for the way Songkran seems to be getting out of hand these days and they thought also that Songkran these days is taken as an opportunity for some farang bashing by some Thais.

Last year I ran the gauntlet only so far as a roadside bar and from there sat watching the fun although still got soaked but in safety with good music and good company and a cool beer or three. Looking forward to something similar this year.

Take care ...

• Like 1

It's a bit daft, I hope it's not big buckets, or I hope they're being very selective, because people aren't dressed or prepared for it. Even the Thais are complaining about the lack of respect or consideration being shown at this time of year.

I was lucky. I wasn't dressed for getting yet yet. When the Thai fellow saw me coming, he scrambled to fill his water canon and started to aim. I waved him off and he smiled, gave me a wave, and didn't fire. The next bunch, at a different location, was a Thai family with pre-teen kids armed with water canons, but I squeaked through as they were reloading. But they were shooting at everyone who passed by. Tomorrow I'll dress for the party, put my camera in a scuba housing, and go get wet!

Whatever turns yr crank, dude...

Songkran is only 2 days away, usually it start 1 week a head in the remote area

Yep! Remote parts of Loi Khraw road and Huay Kaew Rd. had water throwers today... the 10th. I'm guessing it will go on until at least Tuesday.

Think of the evolution of Koh Phangan's Full Moon Party... now there is a big Half Moon Party and in some parts of the island Quarter Moon Parties! People come to Thailand just for the Full Moon Party just as they do for Songkran in Chiang Mai. Who knows? Perhaps in a few years Songkran water throwing will last all month!

This is "evolution"???????? Darwin would be intrigued...

And they wonder why people get irritable about having water thrown over their business attire.

Ehm, this is the Chiang Mai subforum. We go months here without even seeing someone in business attire.

And the odd ones you do spot would be in cars or minivans.

Even so.. it's 40 degrees out. It cools you down. And within 20 minutes you're dry again.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

12yrs ago was a happy event thai people splashing little water on shoulders for luck everyone enjoyed now the stupid brainless farang have no life in on country come here and try to ruin thai ways because have money to put ice in water drums and big water guns to make songkran a misery for everyone only druken bar girls with there stupid young and old hasbeens trying to impress there hookers i talk about cm maybe yl and clan can fix problem in cm cheers happy songkran stay home

My first songkran was 23 years ago. It was mayhem just as it is now. Are you sure you were downtown Chiang Mai, around the moat?

Yeah. :) I love these kinds of statements and the people who actually believe them. :)

And you can go back a lot further than 23 years and it was still mayhem. It was mayhem in the 1950's, looking at the photos!

And they wonder why people get irritable about having water thrown over their business attire.

Ehm, this is the Chiang Mai subforum. We go months here without even seeing someone in business attire.

And the odd ones you do spot would be in cars or minivans.

Even so.. it's 40 degrees out. It cools you down. And within 20 minutes you're dry again.

It's not just a case of how you're dressed but maybe what you're doing, where your going. I've heard of people being soaked on the way to the airport. They arrive at the terminal wet through and aren't going to get dry very quick in an air conditioned airport. Similarly, I've seen hotel receptionists on the way to work, dressed in their beautiful Thai silk outfits with their hair beautifully done. Turning up looking like a drowned rat wasn't on their agenda and although they accept the water, you can see they'd rather not have it. Maybe they accept it less when it is 2 or 3 days before.

It also started 'officially' today on the Nawarat bridge, when the high-powered minsters were opened. My Thai wife certainly wasn't expecting it, and was a bit miffed at turning up for work wet. My point is that if some people want to start it early, then those who don't should have an option of opting out. The days before Songkran plenty of people are trying to get things done before everywhere shuts down, like paying bills, going to the bank, stocking up at the stores. If you're soaked on the way to Big C , or any of the big aircon places most people would rather notbe soaked, business attire or not.

As I've said, I mostly enjoy Songkran, but a bit more consideration for people who have other things to do would be nice. If I'm with the kids, dressed for a water fight, I'm fair game, if I'm on my way to the hospital to visit a sick friend, leave me alone! Before anyone comes out with the "it's their holiday, if you don't like it... " routine, I'm not a tourist, I'm not a guest in their country, I live here and my view is the view of plenty of Thais too. There was an editorial along these lines from a Thai lady in the Bangkok Post. Respect is what a lot of the ritual of Songkran is about.

• Like 1