Gecko sounds

Sydneycraig

The gecko (I think) that makes the call like "uh uhh" 7 times... down south in Phuket it's always 7 times without fail but in chiang Mai it's often 5..... Why?! And yes it's sad asking such a question on a Friday night but I'm saving myself for tomorrow's entertainment ...

• Like 2

Never thought of that, I'll have to count next time.

I literally just heard one of the small geckos chirp. It was 7 times.

Edit add: Very exciting Friday night here as well. tongue.png

Edited by 55Jay

It's the tokay gecko and the call is to attract females of course as well as manliness to warn other prospective males in the vicinity. Age and density in a given area are likely also factors on how long and hard they go off as opposed to region-specific, though I spose humidity could also play a role.

• Like 1

Geckos in poor Isan seldom do more than 4 tmes.

I once heard a rumour that 7 times gives good fortune, so I always count biggrin.png

Consider yourself lucky.

Assume you are writing about "tukkae"/"tokay" the big ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

Like this sweety (from WiKi):

250px-Tokay_Gecko.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Is there a way to get rid of these creatures, poison or something? There is one of them just outside the bedroom window that wakes me up every night. Daytime he's always quiet xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png , so I can't go hunting for him.

Go home and live in a concrete monstrosity.

7 is common, also the 'nature' number, the other day i counted 14 chirps, it might be how hot it is, someone ought to google it

Then we are talking about different sound/animals.

Never will you hear 14 calls from the beast seen in my previous post.

The sound file from the WiKi comes close to what I hear about every night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mating_call_of_a_male_Tokay_gecko_(Gekko_gecko).ogg

5 calls to be heard.

And I do NOT mean the "chirps" at the start and end but the "tokay" calls after which the Thais name this gecko.

6 (!) calls, 4 calls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg49csCR_Ts

Edited by KhunBENQ

Does this mean the possibility of a new hit song "What does the Gecko say ?"

Many music videos with the gecko sound in the Thai internet.

Like this tokay remix biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

cooked, on 13 Apr 2014 - 13:17, said:cooked, on 13 Apr 2014 - 13:17, said:
Vacuum, on 12 Apr 2014 - 08:32, said:Vacuum, on 12 Apr 2014 - 08:32, said:

Is there a way to get rid of these creatures, poison or something? There is one of them just outside the bedroom window that wakes me up every night. Daytime he's always quiet xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png , so I can't go hunting for him.

Go home and live in a concrete monstrosity.

I am at home, hence my question. Any other suggestions?

Edited by Vacuum

regarding to your question i would like to know if your user name similar to your brain?

no offence intented just enjoy the litle buggers

If it's always in the same spot, that's where he's living. If you can access the area, run him out of there. Open the window and bang around with a stick. Might take a few times before he gets the idea. He might piss you off but killing him would be a bit low brow IMO. FYI, I've read they are territorial and will bite if you try to grab them. Most seem to run if you get too close though.

I had a pretty big one inside my kitchen for about 6 months, living in the gap between the wall and the stove. He would make his calls at night and it was really loud inside. He finally moved on, haven't seen him in a few months.

If it's always in the same spot, that's where he's living. If you can access the area, run him out of there. Open the window and bang around with a stick. Might take a few times before he gets the idea. He might piss you off but killing him would be a bit low brow IMO. FYI, I've read they are territorial and will bite if you try to grab them. Most seem to run if you get too close though.

I had a pretty big one inside my kitchen for about 6 months, living in the gap between the wall and the stove. He would make his calls at night and it was really loud inside. He finally moved on, haven't seen him in a few months.

Of course you're right. Kill the gecko and that mosquito that he would have eaten for lunch might bite and give the person bitten dengue fever. But that's not all bad as they might realize what Karma means.