Another populist setback may be looming

Lite Beer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the horrendous traffic and polution

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Bangkok this is not a problem, since no more cars will fit onto the small amount of available roadway.

• Like 2

"...to bear the negative impact of political populism"

It is one thing to discuss the pro's and con's of Govt. programs, another to advance political theory while doing so.

Left unchallenged, such negating of political theory and underlying principles, could be viewed as gospel....Left unchallenged, the self-serving motives would be obscured....Puts into context, over-the-top denigration of such programs by the PAD-Dem's, and why you see them seeking out each and every possible program hitch, and magnifying them.

The Ammart is opposed to what the above quote calls "political populism"...Let's be sure we know what that means.....

Populism refers to "programs for ordinary people"...So in the context of this quote, the statement actually says that "Political programs for ordinary people is a bad thing"

And that is the mantra of BKK. centered political circles, who decry what they see as national financial wherewithal being wasted on ordinary folks not of their station.

Does that give you a clue as to their electoral futility? Does that give you an inkling about all the furor and noise they generate against Govt. programs designed to 'spread the wealth'.

It is why the Lumpini crowd wants to establish a Civilian Dictatorship of their own kind, to put an end to such programming which does not cater to them exclusively....

The only way they can do that is non-electorally.

Furor?

Haha!!!

Another populist setback may be looming

The huge demand for vehicles resulting from the first-car policy was an "artificial demand", economists have said. Meanwhile many who claimed to be "first-car" buyers already owned cars but signed up with relatives' or friends' names.

Owwwwwwwwwwwww!

I am shocked that Thai people would 'scam' the system; but I am Farang. How naive is the government, who is Thai, to not think the Rice Support Scheme and the First Car Buyers's Scheme would not be 'scammed'.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We were only talking about this yesterday, I suggested the good CTPM Yingluck should have gone for gas rebate fitted to cars, much more sensible idea and pollution friendly than Gasoline, probably not a vote buyer though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We were only talking about this yesterday, I suggested the good CTPM Yingluck should have gone for gas rebate fitted to cars, much more sensible idea and pollution friendly than Gasoline, probably not a vote buyer though.

Gas is already indirectly subsidized.

This Scheme was designed to hurt Bangkokians. The well-off in Bangkok may own cars but they can't use them now as the traffic is so bad. Clever. The rural folk must be having a good laugh at how PTP made the city people suffer.

• Like 1

"probably not a vote buyer though"

Anyone got a Hi-Liter pen?

This artcle is a crock and is BS. The money that was promised as a rebate to 1st time car buyers is in fact actually paid by the car manufacturers in taxes. That money is sent to the finance ministry until the excise dept request it sent to the individual who putchased the car. So basically all it is is a rebate from the manufacturer.

So what happened to this money?

By the way, the details for all mentioned above were told to my wife by the excise dept so it is true.

If the car manufacturers sent the rebates to the finance ministry (which is most certain) then how can they not have the money to pay these car buyers?

By the way, this is not about rich and elite and ammart as that previous poster always claims. This rebate was intended to help those who never owned a car obtain one. It put the nee owner in serious debt. In some cases money was borrowed simply because of the rebate promised and people are counting on that money to reducr their debts which were incurred to purchase the car. For this article to say its not that important is irresponsible. But even more so it is filled with holes as to what happened to the money that the manuafacturer sent to the finance ministry. The excise dept only job was to qualify participants and forward payment amounts due to the finance ministry.

Is this another example of corruption and laying blame?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would add that part of the process in getting a proper number plate for the car is that the tax has been paid in full to the government.

This Scheme was designed to hurt Bangkokians. The well-off in Bangkok may own cars but they can't use them now as the traffic is so bad. Clever. The rural folk must be having a good laugh at how PTP made the city people suffer.

Haha!

Its true that around half of those cars ended up in Bangkok where the roads are already both insufficient and poorly managed from a traffic perspective.

The thing is that at this time of year we also see how the additional cars put the entire nation's road system to a halt.

Wife drove up to Udon yesterday. 14 hours!!!!!