How/when did songkran evolve from a respectful holiday to the rude mayhem that it is today?

jaideeguy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously population density, traffic density and much lower number of tourists then but images in the 1950's show a pretty active party then too.

At Nawarat bridge - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/detail_picturelanna.php?picture_id=583

More archive photos at cmu library - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/picture_trails_cate.php?cate_id=15

Songkran then and now - Songkran myths

It was a quiet and respectful celebration!

Yes, it sure was quiet back then. smile.png

Just look at this absolutely beautiful picture; brings a tear to your eyes doesn't it..!

Grandma and granddad having a go at each other, 50 years on you can almost still hear the noise of that scene!

Elegantly done.

• Like 1

There are two aspects of songkran. The family oriented religious ceremony. lotnamdamhua which includes making merit at the temple, and honoring the eldest members of the family by gently pouring scented water on them and the lively street party. The first time that people started being over enthusiastic with throwing water was probably with the invention of alcohol. It is a drunkard's holiday now. Most people in general are still respectful throwing water. I can usually make it through the streets to the market and back without getting wet. Usually people will respect you if you make eye contact. Even the wild drunkards still usually just gently splash water on my daughter but usually soak me wicked.

Go to Dihwali and see if it is any different.

• Like 2

I think a better more accurate question would be when did a Ex Pat decide that there was some thing wrong with what has obviously been going on for years and as the population and tourism grow it has grown.smile.png

So it was an expat, was it, who extended Songkran in Pattaya to 11th - 19th April ?

I learn something new every day.

Just wondering how and when songkran evolved from a gentle sprinkling to show respect to the elders to the rude, insane, dangerous holiday that it is now??

It's obvious that it is being promoted by TAT, but who threw the first bucket of water and when??

Has anyone been here long enough to remember the original celebration??

We had the old style celebration first where we showered the wifes granny. All family members present and before a prayer.

After into town for the modern Songkran. No farangs at all but some fun and the kids loved it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmm didn't realise one had to be a member for a minimum period before expressing distaste at the sense of entitlement displayed by some of our more curmudgeonly members.

I mean, what could be more annoying than the old "cold towel" lament?

You know the one. When the sweaty hippo in safari shorts and sandals would enter a bar and expect to be waited on hand and foot by a young nubile who would wipe the sweat off the pock-marked, blubbery expanse that was his back with an ice-cold flannel before massaging his shoulders and his ego in return for the princely sum of 50 baht. laugh.png Fat chance of that these days.

All I can say is "Roll on, progress".

I support anything that gets these people into better jobs away from the "industry"

.... and you needed a Songkran thread to make that rant ?

Hmm didn't realise one had to be a member for a minimum period before expressing distaste at the sense of entitlement displayed by some of our more curmudgeonly members.

You know the one. When the sweaty hippo in safari shorts and sandals would enter a bar and expect to be waited on hand and foot by a young nubile who would wipe the sweat off the pock-marked, blubbery expanse that was his back with an ice-cold flannel before massaging his shoulders and his ego in return for the princely sum of 50 baht. laugh.png Fat chance of that these days.

I support anything that gets these people into better jobs away from the "industry"

Wouldn't it have been worse to actually create an entirely new thread about it?

• Like 1

Wouldn't it have been worse to actually create an entirely new thread about it?

Unnecessary - there are plenty of ongoing threads where the rant would/could have applied smile.png

Obviously population density, traffic density and much lower number of tourists then but images in the 1950's show a pretty active party then too.

At Nawarat bridge - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/detail_picturelanna.php?picture_id=583

More archive photos at cmu library - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/picture_trails_cate.php?cate_id=15

Just look at this absolutely beautiful picture; brings a tear to your eyes doesn't it..!

Grandma and granddad having a go at each other, 50 years on you can almost still hear the noise of that scene!

This post and the photos linked to therein should be pinned as a lesson to all the whinging grumps who bitch about a tradition that - in stark contrast to what these clowns have read - evidently was NOT limited to the respectful pouring of water over the hands.

I think much of the hostility towards Songkran on TV forums is lies in the mentality these people have

For them, it's far less about the road fatalities and "lack of respect" than it is about "I've retired; I want peace and quiet"

No.

it is about excesses.

Excesses for us non naitives or for Thai people?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This post and the photos linked to therein should be pinned as a lesson to all the whinging grumps who bitch about a tradition that - in stark contrast to what these clowns have read - evidently was NOT limited to the respectful pouring of water over the hands.

I think much of the hostility towards Songkran on TV forums is lies in the mentality these people have

For them, it's far less about the road fatalities and "lack of respect" than it is about "I've retired; I want peace and quiet"

+1

Ran out of likes yours is so good it deserved a repeat showing.

• Like 1