How do other nationalities view Thais and Thailand

laolover88

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The myth of "Thailand never being colonised" is an interesting one. As several posters have pointed out Thailand effectively in WW2 sided with the Japanese. Historically it was the decision of the French and British to use Thailand as a 'buffer state' between India/Burma and Indo-China that resulted in the land of Thailand not being annexed by either party nor "colonised". The Thais had little say in the matter. Later of course Thailand was economically colonised by Japan. Thais of course are no bunnies. They have been busy over 100+ years annexing land. Have you asked a Hmong or a Lisu person what they think of Thailand? Cover your ears......I should guess that what is going on in the Southern provinces will eventually fracture Thailand. Of course thewe centgral question is: Who exactly are Thais?: People from SipsongPanna, Hokkien Chinese, Lao, Mon, Khmer, Chao Talay. Thailand is a country forged by force from hugely disparate groups of people. Of course just like many countries!

That is a great question, who are the Thai's?

After reading their history, I am still confused

• Like 1

The myth of "Thailand never being colonised" is an interesting one. As several posters have pointed out Thailand effectively in WW2 sided with the Japanese. Historically it was the decision of the French and British to use Thailand as a 'buffer state' between India/Burma and Indo-China that resulted in the land of Thailand not being annexed by either party nor "colonised". The Thais had little say in the matter. Later of course Thailand was economically colonised by Japan. Thais of course are no bunnies. They have been busy over 100+ years annexing land. Have you asked a Hmong or a Lisu person what they think of Thailand? Cover your ears......I should guess that what is going on in the Southern provinces will eventually fracture Thailand. Of course thewe centgral question is: Who exactly are Thais?: People from SipsongPanna, Hokkien Chinese, Lao, Mon, Khmer, Chao Talay. Thailand is a country forged by force from hugely disparate groups of people. Of course just like many countries!

That is a great question, who are the Thai's?

After reading their history, I am still confused

My understanding is that the royal families of japan and thailand are somewhat related and thailand only allowed japan to pass through but not invade or colonise. U can say both are semi allies. Maybe this is why many neighboring countries are not on good terms with thailand.

Have been quizzing my Asian friends further ....is no point in asking Europeans/Americans/Russians as they are not really 'engaged' unless they are among the few who take trouble to learn!

Latest views from China are not complimentary!

1. Tough at business! Well the Chinese should know about that

2. Sort of sub species of Chinese! Ouch

3. Humourless, unless within well defined TV or performance parameters.

4. Apparently totally anal. ie appear composed, repressed etc but explode if in any way confronted!

4. Now this I find interesting. "Totally lacking in creativity in any of the Arts and in imagination, Endless copying, repetition. Even in handicrafts from Chiang Mai, nothing original, nothing inspiring, Nothing to compare with Korean Fashion, Japanese Art, Literature and Film, Chinese calligraphy, film, painting and music; "apart from a few evanescent flower floats and a bit of fruit carving!!"

Edited by laolover88

My understanding is that the royal families of japan and thailand are somewhat related and thailand only allowed japan to pass through but not invade or colonise. U can say both are semi allies. Maybe this is why many neighboring countries are not on good terms with thailand.

Before the Japanese came to Thailand they had won (agreed to) from Phibun (PM) a secret verbal promise to support them in an attack on Malaya and Burma.

A Treaty of alliance was signed between Thailand and Japan on December 21, 1941, and on January 25, 1942 Thailand declared war on the United States and Great Britain.

(There was a propaganda campaign having to do with the Thai Ambassador not giving the declaration of war to the US state department but as any one knows an ambassador cannot declare war or not declare war as a matter of personal choice.

America and Thailand were at war and America bombed Thailand and Thailand shot down American planes.)

Meanwhile, Japan stationed (not troops of occupation) 150,000 troops on Thai soil.

(The difference between stationed and occupied is Thailand had an armed and active army when the Japanese were stationed in Thailand and the British troops when they occupied Thailand disarmed the Thais and Japanese and shipped many off to war trials (including the PM Phibun) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan%E2%80%93Thailand_relations

As to why the immediate countries don't like Thailand. Thai troops fought against Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the Vietnam war and (Franco Thai war) before that against Burma during WWII.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Before the Japanese came to Thailand they had won (agreed to) from Phibun (PM) a secret verbal promise to support them in an attack on Malaya and Burma.

A Treaty of alliance was signed between Thailand and Japan on December 21, 1941, and on January 25, 1942 Thailand declared war on the United States and Great Britain.

(There was a propaganda campaign having to do with the Thai Ambassador not giving the declaration of war to the US state department but as any one knows an ambassador cannot declare war or not declare war as a matter of personal choice.

America and Thailand were at war and America bombed Thailand and Thailand shot down American planes.)

Meanwhile, Japan stationed (not troops of occupation) 150,000 troops on Thai soil.

(The difference between stationed and occupied is Thailand had an armed and active army when the Japanese were stationed in Thailand and the British troops when they occupied Thailand disarmed the Thais and Japanese and shipped many off to war trials (including the PM Phibun) )

As to why the immediate countries don't like Thailand. Thai troops fought against Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the Vietnam war and (Franco Thai war) before that against Burma during WWII.

Wow thanks ! Looks like I need to read wide. But isn't religion a role as well? Coz both thailand and japan are buddhist countries.

Wow thanks ! Looks like I need to read wide. But isn't religion a role as well? Coz both thailand and japan are buddhist countries.

There are many Buddhist countries in the World (Buddha was from India). Thailand was Japan's only voluntary ally during WWII. Indian troops were instrumental in fighting Japan at many battles during the war. I doubt you could say Buddhism had anything to do with the Second World War except to say a lot of Buddhists died on both sides.

There are many Buddhist countries in the World (Buddha was from India). Thailand was Japan's only voluntary ally during WWII. Indian troops were instrumental in fighting Japan at many battles during the war. I doubt you could say Buddhism had anything to do with the Second World War except to say a lot of Buddhists died on both sides.

Is that the reason why many countries dislike thailand ? Coz they sided with japan ?

Is that the reason why many countries dislike thailand ? Coz they sided with japan ?

What countries don't want to trade with Thailand? What countries don't want to be involved with Thailand by treaty and trade agreements? What countries don't want to build factories in Thailand? What countries don't want to vacation in Thailand?

The only people I know that dislike Thailand are those that can't come back and are stuck in their own little room with a computer and a keyboard to whine.

What countries don't want to trade with Thailand? What countries don't want to be involved with Thailand by treaty and trade agreements? What countries don't want to build factories in Thailand? What countries don't want to vacation in Thailand?

The only people I know that dislike Thailand are those that can't come back and are stuck in their own little room with a computer and a keyboard to whine.

As in stuck in thailand and cannot go back to their own country ?

A common derogatory comment made to me by citizens of Korea ,China Vietnam,Malaysia,Singapore,Taiwan,Indonesia ,Burma ,Cambodia and India is that Thai's are known as the ''Jackals of S E Asia'' mainly its about the business ethics of Thailand but also based on mai pen rai attitudes and ignorance and xenophobia of other peoples cultures among many Thai,s

The only places I never heard this expression was Phillipines

comment made by those named citizens or by yourself or other long timer's....?

By ethnic citizens of those named countries ,not western expats or longtimers , I amazed me at first but i have heard it so often it makes me wonder .

As in stuck in thailand and cannot go back to their own country ?

No as in stuck in London, NYC, Ft. Lauderdale or Sydney and can't get back to Thailand.

I noticed you didn't list any of the countries that didn't want to trade with Thailand, be involved with Thailand by treaty and trade agreements, build factories in Thailand or what countries don't want to vacation in Thailand?

I've never met a Farang who was stuck in Thailand. Every country has an emergency repatriation program of some kind. So no, that is a myth.

back home in the Uk most people think that all thai girls are prostitutes

we can not say all thai girls are prostitutes, however it's quite understanding people from other countries have this perception about thailand because there are many people in thailand who are accepting, promoting and making business with prostitution, and milions of the girls willing to get easy and fast cash

Otherwise, it's always easier for a tourist or expat to be meeting a prostitute than a decent thai girl, usually thai decent girls are not interested in foreigners so much, unless they are from a poor family looking to find a papa who support them and all family ( can this be called prostitution? ) because they know that it's difficult to have a real and long term relationship due to the cultural differences, relatives relation, language, religiion, way of thinking, etc

back home in the Uk most people think that all thai girls are prostitutes

we can not say all thai girls are prostitutes, however it's quite understanding people from other countries have this perception about thailand because there are many people in thailand who are accepting, promoting and making business with prostitution, and milions of the girls willing to get easy and fast cash

Otherwise, it's always easier for a tourist or expat to be meeting a prostitute than a decent thai girl, usually thai decent girls are not interested in foreigners so much, unless they are from a poor family looking to find a papa who support them and all family ( can this be called prostitution? ) because they know that it's difficult to have a real and long term relationship due to the cultural differences, relatives relation, language, religiion, way of thinking, etc

yes, that is also called prostitution,