Badly needed in Thailand

oldsailor35

New traffic cameras introduced in Queensland Australia, can detect mobile phone users and non seat belt users 700mtrs away. Not only will offenders loose 3 demerit points from their licence, but will get a fine of BHT 13,000.

Something like this is needed here regarding mobile phones as idiot drivers still do it, even m/c riders, txt'ing and riding one handed.

• Like 1

Who will police it, nobody does anything here, waste of time.....................coffee1.gif ................food, booze reins......................thumbsup.gif

This is not the point. The question should be: who is going to pay for it?

The police in Thailand do not have anywhere near the budgets and resources as allocated to police in Western countries.

Even if all the corruption of public funded projects was taken out of the equation, there would still need to be substantial increases in taxes to pay for the equipment, the maintenance and for the extra staff required to enforce and police it.

The problem is you can`t have your cake and eat it, meaning, have first world country standards and infrastructural systems and still have a lifestyle based on Thai economics.

So the main issues here is not who, but how? And before anyone can answer these questions, they must have at least some basic knowledge of Thailand`s infrastructural and economic situations, which obviously you do not otherwise you would not make such outlandish statements.

I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Your worried about the mobile phone users and non-seat belt wearer's, which i agree isn't safe driving, but there's loads of other worse traffic violations in my opinion. Maybe some of those that you mention can actually drive and have a license!

But i think the traffic law enforcement should start the crackdown with looking at themselves

post-62796-0-46177500-1397562990_thumb.j

Always wear a helmet!

• Like 2

Who will police it, nobody does anything here, waste of time.....................coffee1.gif ................food, booze reins......................thumbsup.gif

The police in Thailand do not have anywhere near the budgets and resources as allocated to police in Western countries.

Even if all the corruption of public funded projects was taken out of the equation, there would still need to be substantial increases in taxes to pay for the equipment, the maintenance and for the extra staff required to enforce and police it.

The problem is you can`t have your cake and eat it, meaning, have first world country standards and infrastructural systems and still have a lifestyle based on Thai economics.

So the main issues here is not who, but how? And before anyone can answer these questions, they must have at least some basic knowledge of Thailand`s infrastructural and economic situations, which obviously you do not otherwise you would not make such outlandish statements.

Please post the days you ever saw a traffic cop doing his stuff to earn bundles of fine cash. Nooooooooo, just this year...coffee1.gif

You will only need one line or less............sad.png .

OP has chosen the wrong spot on this planet (Thailand.): Try London. Every corner to take a discreet piss is a matter of video-recording.

This is called progress and helps to catch occasional pick-pockets. Major terrorist networks have not been deactivated by such measures. Correct me if I am wrong.

May this sort of progress never reach the shores of Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Interesting from what I have read it is a test over the next two weeks in Victoria - with one camera.....

It would be of little benefit (over current tech) in cities as not many places you would have nearly half a mile of unobstructed viewing to make the most of the 700 meter range.

Please post the days you ever saw a traffic cop doing his stuff to earn bundles of fine cash. Nooooooooo, just this year...coffee1.gif

Yes, on this point I absolutely agree and not arguing about that.

But this is only a part of the problem (although it is a big one), as the systems here, not only law enforcement practices, regarding the extreme problems with corruption, funding and organisation, needs to come under review.

This is something Mr Thaksin tried to accomplish before he was ousted out, whether his methods were liked or not and before anyone mentions it, I am not a fan of either one side of the other. what I am saying is that it would take a leader of outstanding strength and quality to jump in at the deep end and carry Thailand into a true democratic society, to change it`s whole attitudes and ways of thinking on par with that of Australia, America, some other European countries and even Japan, in fact I think it would take a revolution to implement these changes and enforce them. Thailand is still based on a very ancient culture, which many Westerners may consider as outdated and can hinder Thailand`s lack of progress, that is if you believe following Western standards is progress, in which personally I don`t.

I very much doubt that this will happen in our lifetimes and certainly as foreigners only considered as glorified visitors here, we have no say in the running of this country, even the suggestion box is locked away from us. So what I said previous still stands, it`s not just a matter of who, but how?

• Like 1

Yes, on this point I absolutely agree and not arguing about that.

But this is only a part of the problem (although it is a big one), as the systems here, not only law enforcement practices, regarding the extreme problems with corruption, funding and organisation, needs to come under review.

This is something Mr Thaksin tried to accomplish before he was ousted out, whether his methods were liked or not and before anyone mentions it, I am not a fan of either one side of the other. what I am saying is that it would take a leader of outstanding strength and quality to jump in at the deep end and carry Thailand into a true democratic society, to change it`s whole attitudes and ways of thinking on par with that of Australia, America, some other European countries and even Japan, in fact I think it would take a revolution to implement these changes and enforce them. Thailand is still based on a very ancient culture, which many Westerners may consider as outdated and can hinder Thailand`s lack of progress, that is if you believe following Western standards is progress, in which personally I don`t.

I very much doubt that this will happen in our lifetimes and certainly as foreigners only considered as glorified visitors here, we have no say in the running of this country, even the suggestion box is locked away from us. So what I said previous still stands, it`s not just a matter of who, but how?

A righteous, emphatic leader who has no vested interests, has no desire to want more and who is consistent, reliable and human oriented with the main focus on equality combined with charisma, vision and possesing a huge sense of empathy and accountability. How difficult can it be find some one like that ?

[ " benalibina ' said ]

A righteous, emphatic leader who has no vested interests, has no desire to want more and who is consistent, reliable and human oriented with the main focus on equality combined with charisma, vision and possesing a huge sense of empathy and accountability. How difficult can it be find some one like that ?

I hope you're being ironic, that's the opposite of any politician.

OP has chosen the wrong spot on this planet (Thailand.): Try London. Every corner to take a discreet piss is a matter of video-recording.

This is called progress and helps to catch occasional pick-pockets. Major terrorist networks have not been deactivated by such measures. Correct me if I am wrong.

May this sort of progress never reach the shores of Thailand.

Cheers.

Here is a fact that many may not be aware of and has been given a low profile and little publicity over the years.

The tunnels of London’s tube and underground networks are lined with cancer causing asbestos that was built into the system almost from the beginnings of London’s underground network back in the Victorian era. Everyday commuters using the system are breathing in deadly asbestos dust, perhaps over the course of a year in the tons? It was estimated several years ago that to strip all the lethal asbestos from the tunnels would cause long term travel chaos for London, cost £ billions and increase the price of fares and London Tube services substantially, therefore it was concluded that the less said about the problem, the better. The passenger advisory groups were content to play down this problem and the commuters decided not a great idea to complain too much, as all this would archive is total disruption, increased costs and at the end of it, no improvements to the overall services. The bottom line being, people expect safer, better and more but don`t want the incurred costs involved passed onto them. The very same principles also apply in Thailand and one of the major problems politicians have to face.

In all these cases there is a lot more to it than just making rules and telling whoever it is they employ to run these systems to just get on with it and do their best.

There are many improvements I would like see here, better road networks, bypasses, underpasses, traffic systems, more qualified police and ambulance staff given more resources at their disposal, higher food and consumer goods hygiene standards, consumer protection agencies, better and safer public transport services, faster more reliable Internet and so on. I could probably fill another 20 pages of this thread or write a book with my wish list of what I would like to see improved in Thailand, but again, would any of you be prepared to have your cost of living expenditures increase by maybe three or more fold to have these improvements implemented here? As I said previous, you can`t have it all ways.

And last but not least, as rightly mentioned by our swissie, do you really want to have the big brother is watching you syndrome that has affected Britain and other Western countries? Personally I don`t and prefer to live my life as a private living individual where my every movement and actions are not logged, tagged and listed in some database somewhere.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

[ " benalibina ' said ]

I hope you're being ironic, that's the opposite of any politician.

Hmmm sorry....am somewhat naive and like to dream...

• Like 1

carry Thailand into a true democratic society, to change it`s whole attitudes and ways of thinking on par with that of Australia, America, some other European countries and even Japan,

Surely You Jest ...

To think that the USA and Australia are democratic countries ??

The Status Quo remains -

Get the money, get elected. Now spend all your time passing bills/laws that the people who paid for your campaign desire, along with getting more money so you can get re-elected.

Repeat. This is the system as it now stands.

More Big Government invading our freedoms! I don't won't cameras anywhere! Thailand will never have a professional police force because the country does not want it! Most Thais and expats, are happy to pay a little Tea money, if it means there trip will not be delayed. When I was in the states last year, a camera caught me taking a left turn on a red light after I stopped. My brother got the ticket, so I emailed him a copy of my Thai license and expalined this was legal in Thailand. No problem, the ticket was cancelled! Just enjoy our way of life here and drive carefully! Governments are trying to control our lives more and more, that's why I like Thailand. America in the 60's and 70's was great. The police left you alone. Now there are police and cameras around every corner in the US! Less Government is better government! Enjoy Thailand too it's fullest!!! I'm happy too pay the Tea money, which isn't very often! I have been here 12 years! No cameras in Thailand!

My gps warns me of speed camera's every time i look hard for them ,but i have not spotted one yet,they must be very small or well hidden,unlike the ones in Australia,sometimes i wonder if they actually exist at all,once only have i seen a mobile speed camera in use,since i stick to the speed limit i have not had a problem,but agree when i see people texting or talking on mobiles on bikes this is madness,often they have their heads down to sheild the phone from the wind,so are not looking where they are going.

As difficult as finding a virgin on Soi 6 in Pattaya

If Thailand could put up more cameras in time and a very short time the speeding would stop , as everyone in the world does not like getting speeding tickets.

Victoria's fixed speed cameras are snaring a record number of motorists, pumping an unprecedented amount of revenue into state government coffers.

Justice Department figures show that in the past financial year fixed cameras throughout the state issued a record number of fines, generating $166 million in revenue.

In 2011-12 there were 674,399 infringements, up more than 10 per cent from 603,931 the previous year.

The Keilor Park Drive Bridge site in Keilor East, despite its cameras being active for just three months last financial year, was the source of the most money in 2011-2012, with motorists racking up 49,748 infringements and $9,289,000 in fines at the location. Fines totalling $14.8 million were issued from the cameras at the site over a six-month period that took in part of this financial year.There are 22 cameras on western ring road .

speed camera locations in Melbourne suburbs and surrounding areas.

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/index.php/en/australian-speed-camera-locations/australian-fixed-and-mobile-speed-camera-locations-list/77-vic-speed-camera-locations.html

Kevvy

• Like 1

Well, if the RTP are using the gun, they will have to pull the offending driver over............that is policing ! thumbsup.gif

Think you are getting yourself 'carried away' You are correct, not all could pay those fines, but many could and the fine could be adjusted, am not expecting Australian levels of fine. I am just hoping to get into some "thick skulls" ( how's yours) that something needs to be done, especially with such actions as txt'ing when driving. However with such attitudes as yours, things will never change will they Beetle.

Oh! and thanks for your "obvious" highly qualified assessment of my understanding of Thailand's economic situations, it is so good to know that we have such wonderfully knowledgeable persons out there to correct us.

Edited by oldsailor35

With all due respect, I am involved with the BiB and I know how things work. You can give all the money in the world and it will still remain the same. Sorry...