Broken tree at hotel and now manager wants money

ghworker2010

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have just asked. Although, it only takes a month or so for a new frond to appear but if it were my place I wouldn't be too happy either.

its also possible that, a nicely worded offer to trim it himself, if provided the proper cutting tool, would have resulted in a smile and a discount on his dinner

I found the hotel and guest house people among the friendliest

Edited by Scarpolo

It's a fricking tree ,they grow back .Tell her to get lost .

It's still criminal damage! Just as shaving someone's head (hair grows back too) is still assault.

Would have been better to have simply asked to change rooms - best way to do that, in my experience, is via the bell hop with promise of a 500 baht tip - they can arrange almost anything without the hassle of dealing with the manager directly.

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Yep. British for sure.

But But But, I neeeeeeeever rip up the trees at a hotel, I just drink their beer.................burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

yep - every beer drinking Englishman knows trees are too useful for peeing up/behind :)

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Australia, France, New Zealand, UK, USA, Philippines, Malaysia ??

Or is it a sad attempt at bashing either the UK or US?

Or he's taking a swing at the fine people of Norway, Dominican republic, Faroe islands and Iceland. Unless he is hating on the Russians, North Koreans or Laotian

He really made his point with that post

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It's still criminal damage! Just as shaving someone's head (hair grows back too) is still assault.

Would have been better to have simply asked to change rooms - best way to do that, in my experience, is via the bell hop with promise of a 500 baht tip - they can arrange almost anything without the hassle of dealing with the manager directly.

It's a tree not a human .How anyone can associate this with vandalism ,assault (on a <deleted> tree lol) is beyond me .

I wouldn't give the manager bellboy a bean .

It's a tree not a human .How anyone can associate this with vandalism ,assault (on a <deleted> tree lol) is beyond me .

I wouldn't give the manager bellboy a bean .

vandalism and property damage, is what it is.

there is protections in place, just for people like OP, and the poor struggling hotel owner, oppressed by the evil man from Isaan, whom she will never see again

Why are you picking on people from Iceland?

Looking at it from the OP's perspective....he did pay extra for a sea view....and didn't get one.The obvious thing to do was point it out to the owner and ask her to either sort the problem out or move him to a different bungalow. As said earlier....you cannot take these things into your own hands without consulting someone.

• Like 1

To the OP ....

After consultation with my associates here it has been determined that you are liable for willful damage to the owners property. As such you are liable to pay restitution for the said damage caused.

You don't have the right to destroy other peoples property to benefit your own situation... even a tree.

I would go and front the owner , appoligize and offer to pay a reasonable amount to cover the damage. wai2.gif

With all due respect I disagree Mary, that isn't the point

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So, what is the point?

OP booked a sea-view room, with obviously a little help from his side to make that come true.

The owner lied about this, when advertised.

While making your own landscaping isnt the best solution, i would bet the house the owner wouldnt want to give discount/refund due her misquiding advertising.

(What would you think if instead of a jaccuzzi you find a tub?, would you think it is right when you paid for jaccuzzi?...that sea-view came with extra price, for sure!)

I would say you bring the police on, let them know that the owner lie about the place, and threatening you about a f.cking tree. Not that OP cut the whole thing, anyway.

It's a palm tree or two, not a condo building or brick wall.

I bet he could view the sea, and had the idyllic view of palm trees in the foreground too..... until he turned vandal.

A jacuzzi isn't the same thing........

Rather arrogant to go around hacking pieces off someone else's trees.

Offer her 1000 baht, if that isn't accepted tell her to call the police and get ready to do a scathing review on Agoda and trip advisor.

too bad you didn't get some string and tie up the 3 you broke... so what is the going price for a palm tree frond these days at a hotel? 1000 bt each - 500bt or 2000bt? maybe better to pay a fine or barter it down 50% of what she says... or call the cops... forget the lawyer thing tho... jeez.... if thai gf try to have her talk to hotel lady...and the red white and blue flag thing would be brit not yank right? yanks don't say "small spot of bother" 5 5 5 good luck for finding out what a palm tree frond costs this Songkran...

lots of red white and blue country flags tho...

http://www.flags.net/indexa.htm

Looking at it from the OP's perspective....he did pay extra for a sea view....and didn't get one.The obvious thing to do was point it out to the owner and ask her to either sort the problem out or move him to a different bungalow. As said earlier....you cannot take these things into your own hands without consulting someone.

by now, this should have resulted in either an arrest, a payment, or a vamoos

As does, THAILAND, as well as MANY OTHER counties,,, idiot's speak before thinking,,,, LOLOLOL

• Like 1

The best thing you can do it write a review on trip advisor, explaining how unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, and disrespectful the manager was. Call her out by name. Defame the place as much as you can. It does have an impact. It will be read. Sounds like she could have handled things a bit better. Or you could have complained about the blocked view and waited to see if there would be a response?

As does, THAILAND, as well as MANY OTHER counties,,, idiot's speak before thinking,,,, LOLOLOL

Not at all. I presented my post in such a manner so as not to be directly assuming the OP is a loud mouth arrogant seppo.......those lot get a bit touchy feely sometimes.

I was reading my visa stamp in my passport and in broken english it says, "minor property damage to hard working Thai's, trying to better themselves and supporting family, totally acceptable by forang. Amazing Thailand, please come enjoy our woman and destroy our property. Keep smiling".

Thanks to your post, now I understand what the stamped message in my passport means.

thumbsup.gif wai.gif

• Like 1

It wasn't your property and technically you have no rights to alter it regardless of the Palm leaves will eventually grow back. It shows disrespect and a lack of consideration on your part. You apparently never went to the management or owner letting them know that their tree was blocking your view..

You took it on yourself to do what you wanted to do.

If I was the owner I would request you pay too.

Advise... Keep your hands off of things that don't belong to you.

I know someone who did this on a grand scale on his property in Sydney while everyone was asleep. I think it's hilarious.

His Property..... not really the same as someone elses property is it.

I wasn't clear was I? His property overlooked water, or would if not for trees surrounding his building. Which he lopped.