flying out of bangkok internt'l, do they ask for credit card w eticket

bina

If you book online Thai and Singapore Airlines at check in will need to see the cc used and you must be travelling - but this is only for the check in at the first departure location. SQ will allow you to use your cc to pay for another passenger and if you are not travelling on that flight you can submit an indemnity form on line - not sure what Thai do. This has always worked OK with SQ.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easiest way to get around this is to contact airline and send then photocopy of your credit card, passport and the person who is flying ID card and write ob the one pager photocopy the booking ref number and fact that you have paid for the person whose ID is there and approve use of your credit card for this and sign it and send I do it with Bangkok Airways all the time and simply submit the photocopy electronicaly by email to them and they pre approve the use of my credit card for a person who is not travelling with me at the time.

Trust that makes sense

cheers

heres a suggestion -- call the airline.

each has its own policy

in my experience bkk air wants to see the card, but arrangements can be made at the time of purchase and signed photocopies of the card can be presented at check in.

I stopped booking on line if I am not travelling with my wife and we have used my credit card for the booking. Now I go to the local travel agent and get the booking done there, does not matter if I use a credit card as it is an agent issued ticket.

Options...

1. Try contacting the airline in advance to let them know that your husband does not have a credit card.

2. If he has a smartphone, take pictures of the front & back of the card & save the pictures on his phone.

3. If he has no smartphone, give him a photocopy of the card.

4. He can check-in online or through a kiosk terminal if available.

I doubt any airline check in will accept a photocopy.

A colleague in the Philippines purchased a ticket via the internet for me to fly from Bangkok to Doha on Qatar Air. She used her personal credit card to pay. I was refused check-in as I did not have the credit card. The only option they gave me was to pay again on my credit card and then claim the second payment back! After a lot of arguing they moved me from the early morning flight. I had to telephone my friend in Manila and she had to go to the Qatar Air office there and get a signed form validating the credit card that had been used. I had to print this and show them when checking in. Being Thailand, they still had a 15 minute debate about it and all looked confused. Eventually a Qatar airways non Thai said o k.

I just booked an eticket to KL and the airline website makes it very clear that I will need to produce the credit card used as well as my passport when checking in.

If your husband is travelling on his own, and you have the credit card I would advise you contact the airline and check their procedure. They may require you to go to their office with the card.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was about 4 years back when I had that issue with AA, if I recall it correct, they only required to present a CC if the name on the card didn't match the passenger's name. If I also recall it right, there was an option with AA to book your etickets online with a CC and then change the payment to a cash at the ticket counter at the airport... Something along these lines. It was mean to prevent the use of stolen CC, definitely nothing to do with any traffickers...

Best is to call the airline in question and find out.

It was originally brought in because you wouldn't believe what the ticket counter operators where letting through on international flights , out of Asia , since then it is pretty much the norm for cross check passenger list etc.

Bina,

I've always been asked at check in for the credit card used for purchase on both domestic and international flights with pretty much all airlines. The easiest solution for you concerning this is book using a local travel agent.

Kurt

Most airlines will only let you purchase online with a credit card that is in the name of one of the travelers and you then have to show it on check in. However there are exceptions. the one that I know of for sure is Air Asia, as I often buy tickets for my niece online for trips she takes without me (international) and thus far never a problem. But Thai, Bkk Air, Korean Air, Asiana all disallow this.

Have you already tried to make the purchase and been able to, without getting as message that says that the card must be in the name of one of the passengers? As that is what usually happens, again Air Asia being the only exception I have experienced.

If purchased through a travel agent then no need to show the credit card at check in, only need to have satisfied the travel agent in terms of mode of payment. The issue is only for online purchases.

I would say that if the online purchase at no point states that the credit card must belong to one of the travellers nor that it must be shown prior to boarding you are fine but otherwise it is a risk and better to purchase either from a travel agent or an airline ticket office.

As for the poster who asked about not having a credit card: cash is of course accepted in person at a travel agent or airline ticket office. Some may also accept payment by ATM and you email the scanned ATM receipt but have to ask - more likely to be agreeable to a travel agent than an airline.

forgot to ask, if the ticket was purchased thru a travel agent, is the credit card then needed? as his ticket was purchased thru a travel agent here.

mine is from directly on line.

If the ticket was purchased through a travel agent then no need for the credit card. The travel agent is responsible for the payment to the airline not the passenger.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

On April 9th I flew from BKK to Phnom Penh on Bangkok Air. The agent at the airport only asked for my passport. I had checked in electronically the night before and was not asked for anything else. Hope this helps.

As a rule of thumb, IATA Airlines may demand presentation of the card whereas Low-Cost's won't. Why that is I don't know but I suspect that it has to do with whether or not the online purchase was completed via a 3-D Secure process e.g. "verified by visa" whereby the cardholder is redirected to their own banks website for verification using (usually) a OTP sent by SMS. In this case the merchant or Airline is indemnified against fraudulent use of the card.

Certainly in the case of domestic travel in Thailand, THAI & Bangkok Airways don't use 3-D Secure and will (almost certainly) ask for the card. Air Asia and NOK do use 3-D Secure and so never ask. I often book for others on AA & NOK and always use a VISA web-card where no actual card exists.

Having said the above, I have only ever used Thai and HK bank issued credit cards for online purchasing so it could be that using cards from other countries is different.

Another solution, at least for THAI Airways domestic, is to use their "counter service"

In that case you make the reservation by phoning THAI and you will be given a reference number and a time limit after which you can pay by cash at any 7-11 shop.

If you book Thai air flight with a credit card you have to present the credit card at the check in. The credit card holder must be the passenger. If I book a flight for my son and I pay with my credit card (online) I have to go to a Thai Airways office

with my passsport and cc present it and sign a document. Thats it and my son can fly without showing the card.

Emirates, Etihad, Air Asia, Bangkok Air, Air Berlin do not ask for a credit card at the check in.

Edited by skiller

Once again if you have booked through a travel agent or booking engine like expedia for example then there is no way the passenger has to show the credit card used for booking.

How is the airline to know by which means you paid (cc, debit card, cash etc.).

So it's only airlines that ask for the credit card if you have booked online with the airline itself. Some do some don't.

Yermanee wai.gif

Once again if you have booked through a travel agent or booking engine like expedia for example then there is no way the passenger has to show the credit card used for booking.

How is the airline to know by which means you paid (cc, debit card, cash etc.).

So it's only airlines that ask for the credit card if you have booked online with the airline itself. Some do some don't.

Yermanee wai.gif

That´s right. I can confirm it.

If you book Thai air flight with a credit card you have to present the credit card at the check in. The credit card holder must be the passenger. If I book a flight for my son and I pay with my credit card (online) I have to go to a Thai Airways office

with my passsport and cc present it and sign a document. Thats it and my son can fly without showing the card.

Emirates, Etihad, Air Asia, Bangkok Air, Air Berlin do not ask for a credit card at the check in.

At least in the case of Bangkok Airways, this is not correct. I've had a direct experience where they absolutely insisted on seeing the credit card. It was that or no boarding pass.

I was asked for sight of my credit card used to book Emirates flights to the UK from BKK a few weeks ago and to HKG in December.

Likewise I had to produce my card for Bangkok Airways flight to Samui.

It depends on which airline you take, can be based on the fare too (if web-specific), your ticket can bear the "present credit card" indicator, which will require to show the CCard having been used for the purchase at check-in. THAI typically requests it for online bookings almost systematically if not always. To avoid that, you pay in cash or you get the bearer to come to the airport or you borrow the card (danger! ;-) ).

I don't have knowledge about a way to present it before, it is quite common in countries with a lot of fraud on cards, countries with cards having no PIN and with online sales...

Apart from that you do not have to present anything else than your passport, as since 99.99% of transactions are e-tickets outside the US, the paper you may have is only a receipt, not the actual ticket.

Edited by GaiUan

It is quite common now that most airlines check the credit card used is yours. Over the years so many stolen credit cards being used for many things and the airlines that accept card payment over the Internet would have to pay if found to be booked with stolen card.

One way to have this cleared is, most airlines allow you to go to one of their local booking offices and fill form out confirming you are paying for another person. Or you can down load the form from their site fill it in and send it back.

Passports are all you need no need for foreign ID cards.

One more time and to be perfectly clear :

The ticket is booked through a travel agent.

The travel agent is responsible for the payment of the ticket to the airline NOT the passenger.

So airline will NOT ask for the credit card since they have been paid by the travel agent (who has not paid the airline with passengers credit card).

Hope it is clear now for all.

Yermanee wai.gif

The travel agent is responsible for the payment of the ticket to the airline NOT the passenger.

So airline will NOT ask for the credit card since they have been paid by the travel agent (who has not paid the airline with passengers credit card).

Yermanee wai.gif

Not sure why you think this is not clear to everyone.

Probably it's because most people know that using a credit card with a travel agent in Thailand invariably incurs a 3% surcharge so few people would do that.

Yermanee wai.gif

Not sure why you think this is not clear to everyone.

Probably it's because most people know that using a credit card with a travel agent in Thailand invariably incurs a 3% surcharge so few people would do that.

So it wasn't clear for you.

It doesn't matter how you paid the travel agent be it by credit card, debit card, cash or even free sex, fact is the financial agreement concerning the airline is with the travel agent NOT the passenger.

Furthermore I have posted that information three times in this topic, but we keep getting posts that have nothing to do with OP's query that are only confusing her.

BTW I'm only trying to help Bina.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Hi thanx...si husband is fine as uts thru sn agent. My booking is thru kayak ir something like thst do that dhould be good. Ths chiang mai flight I will need the credit card...However my credit card is on my previosarried name which I think is in my passport on a name change slip...when I changed last names.

Ive learned a lot from here. Keeps reminding me how up country we are.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi thanx...si husband is fine as uts thru sn agent. My booking is thru kayak ir something like thst do that dhould be good. Ths chiang mai flight I will need the credit card...However my credit card is on my previosarried name which I think is in my passport on a name change slip...when I changed last names.

Ive learned a lot from here. Keeps reminding me how up country we are.

Hi Bina,

If you booked your flight through Kayak then the same principle applies.

The airline gets paid by Kayak, NOT by you.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

Great to know...so essentially only if someone books straight thru the airlines company there could be a problem. ...gottit

Great to know...so essentially only if someone books straight thru the airlines company there could be a problem. ...gottit

Only if you paid the airline directly by credit card do they have the right to check this card.

How you paid your travel agent and/or booking engine like Kayak, Expedia etc. is none of their business to put it bluntly,

Yermanee wai.gif