Investment 101 for Dummies

Just trying to keep some real guy with a few bucks away from the likes of you.

And just for the record I think you and your little troll-baiter buddy should take your forking dog-and-dance scam to some other website.

Get a job.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Gold-i-locks meets Mother Theresa.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had experience with gold. I must say to begin with, I never wanted to hold much, or any gold, it is more my better half that is into it. I will say at this point, I never want to see another piece of gold again, for the rest if my life. I believe in buying equities for the long term, and also think any prudent investor, who for the most part does not know what they are doing (like me:)), should do the same. I may not be able to articulate this thought so much, but for me looking at the 20 year charts on gold and the set is enough. You want to invest in potential growth. Gold just seems like such a crap shoot of emotion, manipulation, and god know what else. My novice thoughts on gold anyway ie stay the heck away smile.png tucking away a little of the stuff is obviously not a problem, even recommended.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 2

I have had experience with gold. I must say to begin with, I never wanted to hold much, or any gold, it is more my better half that is into it. I will say at this point, I never want to see another piece of gold again, for the rest if my life. I believe in buying equities for the long term, and also think any prudent investor, who for the most part does not know what they are doing (like me:)), should do the same. I may not be able to articulate this thought so much, but for me looking at the 20 year charts on gold and the set is enough. You want to invest in potential growth. Gold just seems like such a crap shoot of emotion, manipulation, and god know what else. My novice thoughts on gold anyway ie stay the heck away smile.png tucking away a little of the stuff is obviously not a problem, even recommended.

Agreed.

Many thanks Donnie Brasco for your advices. However, I think I prefer to buy equities than gold. Each of us has our own opinion on what to do with our money and I respect your view but I don't think putting all my money into gold or silver is what I want to do. I will use 10% of my portfolio to buy gold but just as an insurance in case everything else falls.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Many thanks Donnie Brasco for your advices. However, I think I prefer to buy equities than gold. Each of us has our own opinion on what to do with our money and I respect your view but I don't think putting all my money into gold or silver is what I want to do. I will use 10% of my portfolio to buy gold but just as an insurance in case everything else falls.

And I have often thought, that 10% can be used to invest in equities when they reach levels that appear undervalued. The recent dip of the set into the mid 1200's and below comes to mind. Get the gold in there, time it as best you can, regain your 10% position later, repeat :)

Agreed.

I went with about twenty percent for gold at one point but then I just sold it to pay for the initial buy in.

Property, commodities, land, houses.

I am a great believer in utility.

I'm just doing my level best to keep anyone who may be paying attentions away from such an obvious troll/marketing thread as you have orchestrated here.

My motives are altruistic . . . . Yours have an obvious end for yourself.

Your suggestions do NOTHING but make commissions for the broker (and I suspect that this broker might very well be YOU ;-)

OP if you are indeed looking for a safe haven and risking and locking up your little nest egg makes sense just buy some gold from a reputable shop in Yaowarat

You can always use it for Sinsot

But that's another troll thread ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well I guess we have progress of sorts (maybe) and moved on from the big 'I am', but unfortunately segued into bogus moral high ground wearing a neon 'altruistic' hat (give us a break!). All the while dragging our new investor into the brave new world of zero dividend returns. Planet Gold has some weird inhabitants.

Hey Sheungwan

It's pretty clear that all you have left after your hysterical paper-hanger manifesto is the smearing of those who are wary of your "Magic Beans" three card monte, commissions in and out, scam.

Your thinly veiled self promotion on Thai Visa as an investment strategist and wealth manager is painfully apparent to anyone smart enough to have acquired a bit of a pile.

You guys are always on about this kind of paper play but at the end of the day you are just cranking it out.

Your "end" and the objective ends of your ilk are obvious as a self-serving commission generating scheme. You're hoping to scoop a few more marks in this forum, I guess. Most people here see right through you.

Go try to sell your "services" somewhere else.

Like I said, I just want to keep your hands out of the pockets of TV members who might feel a little confused about all this.

So just where is the benefit for me in doing that ?

Surely you're not suggesting that by driving the OP to the gold safe haven that I am pumping a market play.

You, on the other hand are bald-facedly dialling for dollars

I'm just doing my level best to keep anyone who may be paying attentions away from such an obvious troll/marketing thread as you have orchestrated here.

Your suggestions do NOTHING but make commissions for the broker (and I suspect that this broker might very well be YOU ;-)

OP if you are indeed looking for a safe haven and risking and locking up your little nest egg makes sense just buy some gold from a reputable shop in Yaowarat

Well I guess we have progress of sorts (maybe) and moved on from the big 'I am', but unfortunately segued into bogus moral high ground wearing a neon 'altruistic' hat (give us a break!). All the while dragging our new investor into the brave new world of zero dividend returns. Planet Gold has some weird inhabitants.

Hey Sheungwan

It's pretty clear that all you have left after your hysterical paper-hanger manifesto is the smearing of those who are wary of your "Magic Beans" three card monte, commissions in and out, scam.

Your thinly veiled self promotion on Thai Visa as an investment strategist and wealth manager is painfully apparent to anyone smart enough to have acquired a bit of a pile.

You guys are always on about this kind of paper play but at the end of the day you are just cranking it out.

Your "end" and the objective ends of your ilk are obvious as a self-serving commission generating scheme. You're hoping to scoop a few more marks in this forum, I guess. Most people here see right through you.

Like I said, I just want to keep your hands out of the pockets of TV members who might feel a little confused about all this.

Surely you're not suggesting that by driving the OP to the gold safe haven that I am pumping a market play.

There's no benefit for any new investor following gold trinket nostrums. Its as simple as that. However it is a fact of life that certain gold bugs tend to throw a hissy fit when anybody challenges their view of things. One sign of this is a descent into double-spacing :-( ..... I'm not selling anything right now (apart from the idea of the primacy of income) but a new investor wanting to purchase a blue-chip income stock can do this simply by opening a trading account through their bank.

Edited by SheungWan

Please keep the topic friendly, name calling, snidey remarks etc will result in closure.

You are all offering opinions, not hard fact so Please respect others posters opinions.

thanks

Boo

Hey Sheungwan

There's no benefit for any new investor following gold trinket nostrums. Its as simple as that. However it is a fact of life that certain gold bugs tend to throw a hissy fit when anybody challenges their view of things. One sign of this is a descent into double-spacing :-( ..... I'm not selling anything right now (apart from the idea of the primacy of income) but a new investor wanting to purchase a blue-chip income stock can do this simply by opening a trading account through their bank.[/quote

So my fifth attempt to reiterate facts and information which you repeatedly chose to ignore is now a hissy fit. My formatting (the only new criticism you can cobble together at this last late desperate stage of getting your "wealth manager" ass kicked on the very troll thread you cranked up with your dual ID or all by yourself.

You're repeated assertions like the one above are like a tape loop or a broken record or some defrocked evangelist quoting scripture in hopes of building up his very own cult.

You have to go on and on about your precious "gold bugs."

You need to "effeminate" anyone who has had a positive experience with precious metals as hissy.

Your refusal to accept that people invest in gold for different reasons than they hand thousands of dollars over to some internet troll with the cyber equivalent of a frayed collar and a soup-spotted necktie.

They see through the stale, shop-worn "Magic Beans" incantations, of "take-a-cut-goin'-in . . . . . "take-a-cut-goin'-out" wealth managers" like yourself

Most pathetically of all, I think, when in view of your obtuseness and all your ooga-booga, bible-thumping, a successful investor/wealth creator takes pity on you and tries to help you by parsing his explanation . . . . . you criticize his efforts.

I was being charitable.

Formerly I had assumed that you weren't to bright and facts and argument needed parsing.

Now I assume that you have clients that follow your bottom-feeding antics and you simply cannot afford to appear defeated.

Go back to the part about over a hundred grand sitting in a savings account.

I probably won't do it just now but it might be fun to buy 1.8 million baht 23 kt local gold wafers and sell it back to the shop upon my return to Bkk a few months from now. . . . . tax free capital gains.

What will you do with your $50,000 ?

Oh, yeah . . . . . you'll, um, like, "take a position" ;)))))))

Given that our fundamental objective is to generate income particularly for someone either approaching or already in retirement, one can immediately rule out PM trinkets, rare wines, art and so on. For someone paying UK taxes, the first thing to do is put the maximum 15000 pounds into a tax-free ISA. Whether it is used to buy individual blue-chip income stocks or a fund generating a dividend between 4.5% to 5% is up to personal preference, but is a no-brainer. What we are looking for overall is a return on 50k of between 2000-2500 pounds per year, but allowing for one step at a time don't be in a hurry. Resist hot tips promising big returns and above all stay away from the end of the world guys. They would have lost you a fortune the last two years. It may be the case that you already have some cash ISAs, in which case you could convert them to stocks which you can now and use some of the cash you may separately have to put in a term deposit ready to top up the ISA next year.

Edited by SheungWan

Given that our fundamental objective is to generate income particularly for someone either approaching or already in retirement, one can immediately rule out PM trinkets, rare wines, art and so on. For someone paying UK taxes, the first thing to do is put the maximum 15000 pounds into a tax-free ISA. Whether it is used to buy individual blue-chip income stocks or a fund generating a dividend between 4.5% to 5% is up to personal preference, but is a no-brainer. What we are looking for overall is a return on 50k of between 2000-2500 pounds per year, but allowing for one step at a time don't be in a hurry. Resist hot tips promising big returns and above all stay away from the end of the world guys. They would have lost you a fortune the last two years. It may be the case that you already have some cash ISAs, in which case I would convert them to stocks which you can now and use some of the cash you may separatlt have to put in a term deposit ready to top up the ISA next year.

Apologies if this is pedantic but I don't think you can actually switch from cash to shares and vice versa until July? Likewise the higher limit £15k comes into effect from July 1st. Up to then it is only £11,880 - from the start of the current tax year.

• Like 1

Is it possible to buy blue chip stocks through a Thai bank?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

No, it's not. It's not possible to buy any stocks through a Thai bank - you have to use a brokerage for that. Fortunately, many Thai banks have an associated brokerage.

What do you mean by "blue chip stocks"? Which country/exchange?