Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be very wary, if the Tricity is anything like the Fino where depreciation is concerned, don't buy one unless you know you are going to keep it for years.

Hardly a life changing investment............

OK, but a loss of about 37000 Baht, only had it two years, 9000 Ks, still under warranty. As I said, be wary.

Be very wary, if the Tricity is anything like the Fino where depreciation is concerned, don't buy one unless you know you are going to keep it for years.

OK, but a loss of about 37000 Baht, only had it two years, 9000 Ks, still under warranty. As I said, be wary.

THB 50 a day!

Did you sell it to a dealer? we sold ours after app 3 years use and 11K km for app 18 k baht if I recall correct.

No matter the No's it's still a very cheap way of transportation compared to buying a new big bike or car.

Did you sell it to a dealer? we sold ours after app 3 years use and 11K km for app 18 k baht if I recall correct.

No matter the No's it's still a very cheap way of transportation compared to buying a new big bike or car.

No a dealer offered me 17000 Baht for it and I said no, I sold it privately for 22000 Baht. The bike was under warranty, so the dealer would not have to check the bike over, and he would easily sell it for about 30000 Baht. That same dealer gave me 10000 Baht for my 8 year old Wave.

No a dealer offered me 17000 Baht for it and I said no, I sold it privately for 22000 Baht. The bike was under warranty, so the dealer would not have to check the bike over, and he would easily sell it for about 30000 Baht. That same dealer gave me 10000 Baht for my 8 year old Wave.

That dealer is sure a greedy one or they have seen a farang coming or a combination of them. Not sure.

But yamaha tricity looks like it will lose its value less than a Yamaha fino to be frank.

possum1931:

"Fino where depreciation is concerned...be wary"

"I sold it privately for 22000 Baht."

"a loss of about 37000 Baht"

Then you paid 57,000 baht for a Fino?

Shrewd!

I bought a nice new one for the GF 2 years ago for 46,000baht

If we sold it now for 22,000 that would be 33baht(=~$1)/day depreciation.

What are we supposed to be wary of again?

You sold a good Wave for 10,000baht = ~$300.

Shrewd, shrewd.

post-174911-0-96605600-1398088596_thumb.

He actually paid 59,000 new for a Fino, according to what he posted. Unless the dealer dipped it in gold before giving it to him, he paid a lot over retail. And most 2 year old low km finos sell for mid to upper 20s (from the few transactions I've seen, but I don't pretend to be an expert). So perhaps the depreciation is being exaggerated a bit in this one example.

I went to Phanonyothin and that Yamaha Square is gone.

So I went to 2 on Lat Phrao and one on Rama 9.

Each only had one white Tricity and you couldn't test ride it.

Although the previous video is promising, I am really concerned with the bike's width in traffic.

Almost no traffic situation makes me wait on my old Nouvo Elegance.

So I am trying to weigh the safety/handling benefits of this vs. its potential to make me wait in BKK traffic.

I didn't have a ruler but used a box as a ruler.

The fairing of the Tricity might be 100mm wider than the Nouvo SX but the bars are only slightly wider.

So the body of the bike is much wider; but not sure if it would really affect traffic weave ability.

I was told the factory in Bang Na does test rides but the guy one should contact was not around.

So Yamaha really needs to do a better job letting people test ride.

I kinda want one now but won't buy it without a test ride.

I was quoted 10K baht for my 2009 Elegance with only 13K km on the odometer and it cost me 55K back then. You have to think of these small bikes as laptop computers. In 2 years they are worthless.

Test rides are not easy to come by in Thailand, of all the scooters I owned here, only way to test ride was to rent one but that will most likely be impossible in this case.

Hell I could not even test ride a +850K baht pick-up truck I wanted to buy, in the end I had to rely on on-line tests and I bought one in the end.

10k baht for a 2009 Elegance eh? You can sell it privately for much more than that, you have to remember that the dealer basically only exists for making money.

I still haven't figured out what the purpose is with this Tricity Yamaha? Will it be standing on its own "feet" at red lights? If yes okay then handicapped persons can benefit from owning one.

Test rides are not easy to come by in Thailand, of all the scooters I owned here, only way to test ride was to rent one but that will most likely be impossible in this case.

Hell I could not even test ride a +850K baht pick-up truck I wanted to buy, in the end I had to rely on on-line tests and I bought one in the end.

10k baht for a 2009 Elegance eh? You can sell it privately for much more than that, you have to remember that the dealer basically only exists for making money.

I still haven't figured out what the purpose is with this Tricity Yamaha? Will it be standing on its own "feet" at red lights? If yes okay then handicapped persons can benefit from owning one.

Right. A friend of mine was offered 30,000B for his nice 2011 CBR250 with 23,500km.

As for test rides on new vehicles: What's the point. All new vehicles will drive/ride/perform as well as expected during a short test ride, right?

The Tricity may be the exception though, with its radical design who knows what to expect.

I think its main purpose is the 'hey, look at me' factor.

Right. A friend of mine was offered 30,000B for his nice 2011 CBR250 with 23,500km.

As for test rides on new vehicles: What's the point. All new vehicles will drive/ride/perform as well as expected during a short test ride, right?

The Tricity may be the exception though, with its radical design who knows what to expect.

I think its main purpose is the 'hey, look at me' factor.

friend of mine was offered 48k for a 2011 cbr 250 with 18,500km on it yesterday

dealer said the 300cc will be here next week so the 250 is now worthless

we just smiled and said thx anyway ,but hes not selling it for 48k

two or three more years and it might still be worth 40k ..........

depreciation is a bitch .......but all you can do is your best to stay on the right side of it ....

The purpose for it is the safety,IMO...double the braking power,double the traction,stability and it's all in front,where you need it...but I don't think it has anything to do with helping the disable people to go 'ridin'... smile.png

...I'm looking forward for the test ride...

Yeah, I'll sell my old bike privately.

Although this won't be fast, this image is reassuring.

VJWpPy.jpg

I tried to ride my Nouvo aggressively like this once and hit an oil patch mid turn.

Of course the bike had the crappy stock tires and I lowsided.

It was a relatively slow crash so the bike and I were fine, but maybe a second front tire could have helped me avoid a crash.

Riding is fun but I find 1+ hour long rides in BKK mentally exhausting since I always have to scan the road for a smooth surface.

I have hit some big bumps/ruts/potholes over the year's in an effort to avoid traffic and pedestrians.

I think another front wheel will allow you to be a little lazier picking lines.

Easily takes the title of "heaviest 125cc bike". Gotta wonder why they didn't at least put a 150 in it... everything else about it is cool...

Cost & fuel economy?

Probably has ample power & torque for city driving.

Yamaha engineers & designers rarely miss.

My SX hauls me (80kg) and 1 or 2 medium (50-55kg) Thai ladies well enough.

Remember that the SX was the 135CC YNE. The performance changed little on the SX when they went to the smaller 125CC fuel injected engine. That engine with some improvements now powers the Tricity. I expect the Tricity to have all the power it needs.

I hope to do a video review soon.

Hey Pinot, if you get to ride the bike in your review can you test the turning radius?

I often have to pull an illegal U turn as I'm sure many in BKK traffic do.

I pulled the dimensions off the Yamaha website.
They list the Nouvo SX's turning radius but not the Tricity which is concerning.
Backing that thing up at a U-turn point would be a pain if not dangerous since you're feet are spread wider and the bike is 50kg heavier than a Nouvo.
FYI, I had a Thai guy call the Yamaha factory guy about test rides.
He said that he might stop by and let me test ride the bike, but made no mention of being able to test ride at the Yamaha factory on Bang Na Trat.

@takata (the quote system is broken)

no more wheels means more holes to hit and that single line between pot holes, etc will not be possible

I rarely post on this commercial site anymore as I don't get paid to provide info or be bossed around by the lords and their personal biases

but I do for bike stuff

Good point, I understand your logic about hitting potholes.

So far I think as long as both front wheels don't hit the same obstacle simultaneously, the bike won't be upset since the other front wheel is stable.

You can see in the previous video that the bike's body is stable as the front wheels work independently over bumps.

I wonder if the brain will be taxed more trying to read 2 or 3 different riding lines (one line for each wheel) or if the bike is stable enough you just disregard all riding lines like in a car.

I have owned bikes by Honda, Kawasaki, Chinese pocketbikes, DM Telai, and MV Agusta so am not favoring this brand and have no commercial ties to Yamaha.

I am just a nerd about technology.

If I could get a Piaggio MP3 for ~80K, this thread would be titled differently.

Actually I am pretty sure I will get a Suzuki Raider as it is one of the narrowest and fastest small bikes available, but is a full 6 speed clutch commitment.

Most of the time I just want an easy automatic and you can't go grocery shopping on a Raider, it has storage for a candy bar only.

I am thinking the Tricity with a top box will allow me and the girlfriend ample room to buy stuff and store our helmets.

Also the bigger fairing would give decent wind/rain protection if I ever want to tour Thailand slowly.

Can you guys notice a trend?

I am slowly talking myself into buying one.

I was hoping someone else could just give us the answers already; but it seems no one here has bought one or cares to share their experience.

I found this Thai forum, but these wacky things are so new, there is little content to read (OK, Google translate).

http://www.tricitythai.com

One note, the prices here are 79,500 baht, but the Yamaha Squares I checked quoted 84,000 as mentioned before.

I wonder if they are screwing everyone or just Farangs, probably everyone.

Good point, I understand your logic about hitting potholes.

So far I think as long as both front wheels don't hit the same obstacle simultaneously, the bike won't be upset since the other front wheel is stable.

You can see in the previous video that the bike's body is stable as the front wheels work independently over bumps.

I wonder if the brain will be taxed more trying to read 2 or 3 different riding lines (one line for each wheel) or if the bike is stable enough you just disregard all riding lines like in a car.

I have owned bikes by Honda, Kawasaki, Chinese pocketbikes, DM Telai, and MV Agusta so am not favoring this brand and have no commercial ties to Yamaha.

I am just a nerd about technology.

If I could get a Piaggio MP3 for ~80K, this thread would be titled differently.

Actually I am pretty sure I will get a Suzuki Raider as it is one of the narrowest and fastest small bikes available, but is a full 6 speed clutch commitment.

Most of the time I just want an easy automatic and you can't go grocery shopping on a Raider, it has storage for a candy bar only.

I am thinking the Tricity with a top box will allow me and the girlfriend ample room to buy stuff and store our helmets.

Also the bigger fairing would give decent wind/rain protection if I ever want to tour Thailand slowly.

Can you guys notice a trend?

I am slowly talking myself into buying one.

I was hoping someone else could just give us the answers already; but it seems no one here has bought one or cares to share their experience.

I found this Thai forum, but these wacky things are so new, there is little content to read (OK, Google translate).

http://www.tricitythai.com

One note, the prices here are 79,500 baht, but the Yamaha Squares I checked quoted 84,000 as mentioned before.

I wonder if they are screwing everyone or just Farangs, probably everyone.

Yeah....I'm slowly coming around to my daughter's point of view also. I just have my own personal biases that should be overcome (lack of a Wing on the tank excludes most bikes). If you happen to get one before middle of June be sure to post your thoughts.

It looks like givi thai already has a rack for it...but definitely encroaches on the pillion's space especially with that back rest.

10246429_611970388894050_213889618217010

I wonder if the brain will be taxed more trying to read 2 or 3 different riding lines (one line for each wheel)

Just thinking although it probably wouldn't effect anyone posting here but there are lots of places in the hinterland of Bangkok where there are thinks like small gaps in speed-bumps or small ramps leading to bridges which would preclude the Tricity. Not to mention the corners on klong paths etc. So I think the market will be limited to city centre dwellers.

Drove a rented Tricity back and forth to Patong from Kamala and I have it for the day. It drives like any other scooter with counter-steering. It doesn't stand up on it's own. It will fall over if you don't put your foot out to hold it up. It's fun to drive, no doubt about that. Cornering is better than a typical scooter.

It is wider in the front. I'd say anothe 4-6" over a PCX. U-turns are easy and more stable, probably about the same radius as any other bike. It has adequate power, could use some more.

There is the "Wow Factor". The scooter turns heads. People are pointing at you.

At 84k, I think it tough to justify over a Honda PCX, but it is cool.

Youtube review below.

http://youtu.be/Zc9sd2ULSv4

Drove a rented Tricity back and forth to Patong from Kamala and I have it for the day. It drives like any other scooter with counter-steering. It doesn't stand up on it's own. It will fall over if you don't put your foot out to hold it up. It's fun to drive, no doubt about that. Cornering is better than a typical scooter.

It is wider in the front. I'd say anothe 4-6" over a PCX. U-turns are easy and more stable, probably about the same radius as any other bike. It has adequate power, could use some more.

There is the "Wow Factor". The scooter turns heads. People are pointing at you.

At 84k, I think it tough to justify over a Honda PCX, but it is cool.

Youtube review below.

http://youtu.be/Zc9sd2ULSv4

Thanks.

I was thinking it stays upright without holding it. My dreams shattered. So it can fell down like any other scooter then if you dont be careful with front brake while riding/cornering.

Thanks for the honest review Pinot.

I also had a closer look at it at the big Mityon shop on south pattaya road and was quoted 82.5 k baht.

Luggage space under the seat is much smaller than PCX but there is a hook on the steering column and due to the flat board you can carry a lot of stuff there.

I would like to try one but are not very interested in buying one to be honest but would still like to try.

It has adequate power, could use some more.

It is also out in Spain so I am on J Costa's case to get a variator developed for it tout suite ( sorry for the mangled languages).

That will solve the power problem, then at least the it will run away from your Elegance on those Kamala hills.

Yamaha will regret not using a 150 engine.

It has adequate power. Riding around my beach community, it doesn't need any more power. There are trade-offs here.

I've driven it all day and the gas gauge hasn't gone down. I won't know what the MPG will be, but there could be a trade off on fuel consumption.

The YNE is thirsty. I mean, it's a scooter and economical, but the Click before, was much better. The trade off for power is economy.

Economy could be the long suit here.

Archived