Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha will regret not using a 150 engine.

Viewing the video of the guy rodding it through BKK traffic, it seems plenty peppy enough.

Supposedly it tops @ 110.

I'm expecting few regrets.

It will sell.

Riders will like it.

Thanks.

I was thinking it stays upright without holding it. My dreams shattered. So it can fell down like any other scooter then if you dont be careful with front brake while riding/cornering.

It doesn't stay upright by itself,but it should not fell down to easy,like any other scooter....that will be no sense of making/buying one,if it was not superior in traffic...IMO

Is it a fact that two wheels in front are safer for cornering? It may just be the brain fooling you thinking "it has to be safer". The weight in the front is distributed to two wheels, so much less "grip" on each of these two wheels, or am i wrong? Of course the danger of hitting a patch of sand/oil with both wheels is lower and it may feels more stable. Maybe someone who is more into these kind of bike physics can enlighten me?

Yep, imo it looks cool.

Is it a fact that two wheels in front are safer for cornering? It may just be the brain fooling you thinking "it has to be safer". The weight in the front is distributed to two wheels, so much less "grip" on each of these two wheels, or am i wrong? Of course the danger of hitting a patch of sand/oil with both wheels is lower and it may feels more stable. Maybe someone who is more into these kind of bike physics can enlighten me?

Yep, imo it looks cool.

I'm a bit torn on the 'safer for cornering'. If the wheels are solidly linked disturbance on one could upset the other. At extreme lean angles the skip could be worst than a single wheel in that upon at least one of them finding traction again it could upset the ride enough for an over-correction.

Each wheel will have less weight. However, considering the heft of the bike, it may not actually be a concern. Assuming equal tyre pressure (35 psi?), the 150kg weight of the Tricity should have 3.14 in2 (20.26 cm2) of contact per tyre. The 111kg Nuovo would have 3.49 in2 (22.52 cm2) of contact per tyre. The difference being that I have seen on the web Yamaha boasting of 50/50 weight distribution on the Tricity; I would imagine that it's not that good on a Nuovo. This means that more of the mass of the Tricity will be shifted forward upon braking (even disregarding the mass of the front assembly) and load the tyres to give even better contact patches upon braking or loading the front before a corner.

The Nuovo was picked as it is from the same manufacturer and I lazily assumed it may share a few components.

Yep, imo it looks cool.

I feel the same. During cornering what I understand only one tire hold the asphalt properly so anything that can happen to a normal bike can happen to tricity too.

But sure while going straight it provides safety as harder to lose the front end.

I am sure it handles more confidently and is safer just by looking at the picture of the Thai guy (page 2) almost (or is) scraping his muffler.

He's in a parking lot so I assume he is riding at a relatively slow speed which I think is impossible on a Nouvo to lean that far over.

I tried at BRC one time to see if I could scrape something on my Nouvo, but couldn't get the balls to do it.

I could get my DTracker250 pegs to scrape and that is a far taller and narrower bike.

So the steeper scrape angle of the Dtracker was easier to achieve than the lower scrape angle of a Nouvo.

It could be all in my head but if the bikes had the same power to weight ratios; I bet on a racetrack a Tricity would allow a faster lap time because you have the confidence to lean further and take a tighter line.

The front wheels are totally independent in suspension, they are only linked in steering and lean angles.

So even if one wheel was completely off the ground you still have a high chance of having front wheel grip and that one front tire would bear more of the bike's weight which is more grip still.

Both front tires would have to hit an obstacle at the exact same time to upset the bike.

Each front wheel has 2 shocks so I doubt one rebounding wheel would be so harsh to upset the other wheel.

Tricity has wider tires (90mm x 14" x 2 tires in front/ and 110mm x 12" rear) vs. the Nouvo SX (70mm x16" front and 80mm x 16" rear).

It's questionable if the shorter/fatter rear tire has more air volume than the taller/thinner rear of the SX, but surely the 2 wheels and 4 shocks in the front of the Tricity gives a better ride.

I am still up in the air on this bike so appreciate everyone bringing up new concerns about the bike and it's untested by Bangkok Farang design.

I am sure I will like the Tricity's ride but when I think of splitting lanes with a 4-6" wider body than a Nouvo, I hesitate.

Ignoring mirrors, as long as the widest part (handlebars) gets through you are fine, but I think its a subconscious thing splitting lanes.

If I think I have a wide bike, I will hesitate splitting because if I am wrong and get stuck, there are a dozen other bikers behind waiting.

Being stuck in traffic in a car doesn't bother me, but seeing other bikes pass me as I cook in traffic would drive me nuts.

I never rode my DTracker in BKK because of this.

I think I will take a tape measure to the dealer and measure the widest parts of the Tricity.

Then I can tape foam on my Nouvo to the same width and see how it affects my riding.

If I still ride as usual, I will buy the bike next month.

If I'm stuck in traffic and scraping car bodies, I am getting a Suzuki Raider as a second bike.

Yep, imo it looks cool.

Yup, per freshman physics: tractive force = weight x coefficient of friction, or more succinctly:

0c02725f116ef3cad99527413171d4bb.png

where

• 7d5fa5091b7927fa18cb549fe4743bcc.png is the force of friction exerted by each surface on the other. It is parallel to the surface, in a direction opposite to the net applied force.
  • 939974a71dda1b83cce5ab82a2d2cec1.png is the coefficient of friction, which is an empirical property of the contacting materials,
  • b91f0b6f4061e59d0249f5a42902b107.png is the normal force exerted by each surface on the other, directed perpendicular (normal) to the surface.

Notice that area of contact is not a factor.

Go.

I gave the bike back today. I was thinking about taking it for another day, but I'm keenio.

Dropped off the Tricity and got on the YNE. The YNE suddenly felt skiddish. It took me a minute to get orientated to the old bike.

That's how differnet driving the Tricity is. I'll probably buy a PCX in the next few weeks but I'm still thinking about that bike.

Crashing is a very good point.

1. I was concerned with this bike doing an endo in severe dry braking but since I don't ride too fast in BKK, it's not a huge concern. I only ride ~10kmh faster than surrounding traffic.

2. I think this might be more dangerous in a crash because the bike can't fall to one side as easy? I clipped the back corner of a tuktuk on the scooter one time at slow speed. One second I am looking in the other lane transitioning, the tuktuk stopped and I didn't see it so I hit it with my right hand, the next second I am standing in the road looking down at the scooter on the ground. I never fell down, but the bike dropped out underneath me in a fraction of a second. If I hit the tutktuk with the Tricity, maybe it would throw me up & forward over the front of the bike. I might be completely wrong since the bike has no self righting and is only as wide as a PCX; maybe it will just fall down.

There are 2 ideas on crashing and I have done both on and off road but no recommendations.

1. Stay with the bike to avoid being tossed around. I lowsided a Ninja250 at BRC and stayed with the bike and also many pocketbike crashes. Although I was fine, the weight of the Ninja ground my pants through. I think if you lowside, being with the bike might help at slow speeds because the bike dragging slows you down but it might help destroy your clothes. I think MotoGP riders let go to avoid the bikes crushing ability and grinding through leathers, but they are going mach 10. Another time I fell over with my dirtbike and it pinned me down to the ground against a tree. If I didn't have a Leatt neckbrace and full length boots, it would have probably broken my leg and definitely snapped my neck.

2. Let go of the bike. When dirtbiking, I would get bucked off the bike like a bullrider. This hurt even at walking speed. Imagine falling 2 meters onto hard dirt or rocks and you get the idea. Still, no bike will crush you but you tend to fly further.

So I have no preferred way of crashing a bike, just stating my experiences.

I gave the bike back today. I was thinking about taking it for another day, but I'm keenio.

Dropped off the Tricity and got on the YNE. The YNE suddenly felt skiddish. It took me a minute to get orientated to the old bike.

That's how differnet driving the Tricity is. I'll probably buy a PCX in the next few weeks but I'm still thinking about that bike.

I don't think you can go wrong with a PCX150. I've clocked 24k on mine now and it's running as good now as it did in the first year.

I don't think you can go wrong with a PCX150. I've clocked 24k on mine now and it's running as good now as it did in the first year.

Nah, go for the trike!

I got the short test ride today...whatever you say--don't...till you ride it yourself...

It's a heavy feeling first...well,it is a heavy bike,but it feels good in it....just got a few minutes on the parking lot,big turns,sharp turns...very sharp turns---no problem...this bike just feels like on rails!! well,just try it yourself...

...and for all you 'racers'...it may not be for your enjoyment...it's only a 125cc scooter tongue.pngbiggrin.png I'm getting one...smile.png

It doesn't stay upright by itself,but it should not fell down to easy,like any other scooter....that will be no sense of making/buying one,if it was not superior in traffic...IMO

Piaggio MP3 stands upright by itself. It has now widened front track (to be ridden w/o a bike license), 500cc and 125 hybrid engines. The future is bright for these, I hope Yamaha can do good as well and introduce a bigger engine ASAP.

Today I taped foam on my YNE to widen it like a Tricity and see if it hindered my riding in BKK.

Look at this pretty thing smile.png

2014-04-25093351.jpg

2014-04-25093342.jpg

I rode down Ratchada to Rama 4 and stopped by the Vespa dealer.

I tested a LXV125 and GTS300 which were clearly designed for Farangs, they are overbuilt since the bodies are made of steel like a car.

I really liked the ful' helmet under seat storage and locking gloveboxes.

The brakes worked well and had stiff suspensions.

The GTS 300 was alarmingly fast, too fast for Bangkok and at 300K, you may as well buy a real motorcycle.

I think the smaller bikes are made in Vietnam, but they still seemed nice.

Are they worth 2 or 3 times more than a Japanese bike?...meh.

If I was rich I would buy one, but I am not, so back on topic.

I later rode up to Lat Prao and also rode on Rama 9 with all the foam on my YNE, probably 3+ hours of riding today.

I rode like usual and hit nothing all day; so I think a Tricity won't limit you too much in BKK traffic.

The only time it might be bad is when you are squeezing between a car and the curb of the road.

Many times I have scrapped my center stand on the curb, but the wheels of my YNE aren't close to the curb

The left wheel of a Tricity might scrape a curb or even try riding on top of it in this situation.

I measured a Tricity at the dealer with a tape ruler, here are my approximate width dimensions.

Handlebars: 28.5"/72cm

Front fairing: 22"/56cm

Rear fairing: 19"/48cm

So I am ready to buy this bike, but now I'm looking for a decent deal.

They advertised this for 79500 originally but now I've been to 5 dealers and they generally want 84K and then 1.5K for tax/registration.

3 dealers tell me they have a 7 person wait list, maybe a month to fullfill.

Both dealers on Lat Phrao don't have any to sell and don't know when they will get more to sell because they have wait lists.

Anyone recall how long it took for dealers to stop gouging the PCX or any other new bikes?

The dealer on Rama 4 (English speaking guy named Bert) oddly has a gray and red one for 82K+1.5K, but I want a white bike.

Bert also has a Limited black & gold, but I didn't ask how much; it looks 1990's ghetto fabulous to me.

The dealer way out on Nawamin Rd has none.

If any of you see a white one anywhere, can you pop in and ask how much it is including tax and registration?
I'm thinking 83.5K all in is a fair price, but prefer not to get fully bent over at 85.5K since I am in no hurry to get this bike anyway.

I'll probably check a few more dealers tomorrow, but you know it takes so long to get anywhere in town; I'd be surprised if I see more than 3 dealers.

Well when the PCX 150 was launched back in 2012 the prices in Pattaya was something like 5000 baht more that it should be due to greedy dealers.

I bought mine some 25 km from Pattaya for the right price and they even bough the scooter to my house for free as it was not practical for me at the time to ride it home myself.

The prices dropped gradually in Pattaya over the next 3 month or so.

I seen the Tricity in Pattaya for 82.5K baht and also at 84K baht, depending of dealer.

I don't think the Tricity will drop much below 80K baht to be honest and I don't see it to be a as popular as the PCX, it's just too special and I am not really interested myself, I like my PCX 150.

Many are willing to pay the high price for the Vespa's, I see quite a lot of them here in Pattaya (the small cc's ones) and mostly Thais on them so there is a market for something special, which is good.

If you want a Tricity go for it man, it's what you want that matters and not others opinion, Yamaha have always made good bikes and they still do.

I am myself waiting impatiently for the MT09 to arrive in June and I am sooo tempted to buy one man when it does, LOL.

If you want a Tricity go for it man, it's what you want that matters and not others opinion, Yamaha have always made good bikes and they still do.

Very True !!!

So many a**holes speak down to people who make choices they do not agree with.

Go your own way !!

..and of the a**holes speak down to people who make choices they do not agree with.

Some don't ride, some don't even live full time in Thailand etc., etc.

Pay too much? Those you comment on that? Some can't afford one, etc., etc.

Most people who buy a Tricity will simply buy one at whatever the price is and ....

Of course you have to go your own way.

Oh and Vespa is more than a scooter it islike harley it is a lifestyle choice. Clubs, riders, etc.

Today I taped foam on my YNE to widen it like a Tricity and see if it hindered my riding in BKK.

Look at this pretty thing smile.png

2014-04-25093351.jpg

2014-04-25093342.jpg

I rode down Ratchada to Rama 4 and stopped by the Vespa dealer.

I tested a LXV125 and GTS300 which were clearly designed for Farangs, they are overbuilt since the bodies are made of steel like a car.

I really liked the ful' helmet under seat storage and locking gloveboxes.

The brakes worked well and had stiff suspensions.

The GTS 300 was alarmingly fast, too fast for Bangkok and at 300K, you may as well buy a real motorcycle.

I think the smaller bikes are made in Vietnam, but they still seemed nice.

Are they worth 2 or 3 times more than a Japanese bike?...meh.

If I was rich I would buy one, but I am not, so back on topic.

I later rode up to Lat Prao and also rode on Rama 9 with all the foam on my YNE, probably 3+ hours of riding today.

I rode like usual and hit nothing all day; so I think a Tricity won't limit you too much in BKK traffic.

The only time it might be bad is when you are squeezing between a car and the curb of the road.

Many times I have scrapped my center stand on the curb, but the wheels of my YNE aren't close to the curb

The left wheel of a Tricity might scrape a curb or even try riding on top of it in this situation.

I measured a Tricity at the dealer with a tape ruler, here are my approximate width dimensions.

Handlebars: 28.5"/72cm

Front fairing: 22"/56cm

Rear fairing: 19"/48cm

So I am ready to buy this bike, but now I'm looking for a decent deal.

They advertised this for 79500 originally but now I've been to 5 dealers and they generally want 84K and then 1.5K for tax/registration.

3 dealers tell me they have a 7 person wait list, maybe a month to fullfill.

Both dealers on Lat Phrao don't have any to sell and don't know when they will get more to sell because they have wait lists.

Anyone recall how long it took for dealers to stop gouging the PCX or any other new bikes?

The dealer on Rama 4 (English speaking guy named Bert) oddly has a gray and red one for 82K+1.5K, but I want a white bike.

Bert also has a Limited black & gold, but I didn't ask how much; it looks 1990's ghetto fabulous to me.

The dealer way out on Nawamin Rd has none.

If any of you see a white one anywhere, can you pop in and ask how much it is including tax and registration?

I'm thinking 83.5K all in is a fair price, but prefer not to get fully bent over at 85.5K since I am in no hurry to get this bike anyway.

I'll probably check a few more dealers tomorrow, but you know it takes so long to get anywhere in town; I'd be surprised if I see more than 3 dealers.

perfect man!

just get that tricity, you want it hundred percent and it is fine for city according to the videos. Side fairing does nto matter for bangkok lane splitting.

Handlebar and mirrors are the parts you need to worry about.

Yamaha's website lists their dealers with maps so I called the 8 closest to me and asked how much for their white one. The Chinatown one quoted me the intro price so I went and then she said she had none to sell.

I then had the dealer on Lat Pla Kao soi 40 match the Rama4 price of 82K. He gave me 2 crap helmets for free too. I will be riding it home in an hour and will report on it later.

Yesterday I went to the Rama 9 dealer near Ratchada and he wouldn't budge off 84.5k. This Lat Pla Kao dealer is his father and he seemed eager to sell at 82k. T.i.T

It definitely helps to know basic Thai, I saved some money and hours of travel time.

I get no impression these are in high demand because the dealers that have none were getting more today or Monday. The line of a 7 person wait list is just sales BS. Rama 4 had the 3 other colors so I doubt they had a 7 people waiting to get a white one.

Yamaha's website lists their dealers with maps so I called the 8 closest to me and asked how much for their white one. The Chinatown one quoted me the intro price so I went and then she said she had none to sell.

I then had the dealer on Lat Pla Kao soi 40 match the Rama4 price of 82K. He gave me 2 crap helmets for free too. I will be riding it home in an hour and will report on it later.

Yesterday I went to the Rama 9 dealer near Ratchada and he wouldn't budge off 84.5k. This Lat Pla Kao dealer is his father and he seemed eager to sell at 82k. T.i.T

It definitely helps to know basic Thai, I saved some money and hours of travel time.

I get no impression these are in high demand because the dealers that have none were getting more today or Monday. The line of a 7 person wait list is just sales BS. Rama 4 had the 3 other colors so I doubt they had a 7 people waiting to get a white one.

Congrats!

Please post your impressions here.

Archived