Colorado unveils pot-vending machines

webfact

Colorado unveils pot-vending machines
Jenny Deam

Littleton, Colorado: -- In the posh resorts of Vail Valley, where celebrities are as common as the paparazzi who stalk them, a machine has suddenly stolen the limelight.

Meet Zazzz, thought to be America's first identity-verifying marijuana vending machine. Unveiled at an invitation-only party in Avon, Colorado, last weekend, it has become another first in a state that has seen its share since recreational marijuana was legalised.

At first glance the lime-green contraption looks like any that might spit out soft drinks or snacks, only this one comes equipped with state-of-the-art technology to check a user's identity and can dispense a full array of marijuana products, including edibles and pre-rolled joints.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/colorado-unveils-potvending-machines-20140418-zqw5c.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-04-18

It's dangerous for youth to use chronically as the modern version is so POTENT. It may cause permanent brain damage in youthful users. But people shouldn't go to jail for it. I understand why governments will want to legalize it more to TAX it, but that doesn't change its potential to damage people, especially youth.

But bottom line, she said, the results show “cannabis use, marijuana use, in adolescence is not healthy. It’s harmful.”

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/teenage-marijuana-use-may-permanently-reduce-iq/

Edited by Jingthing

It's dangerous for youth to use chronically as the modern version is so POTENT. It may cause permanent brain damage in youthful users. But people shouldn't go to jail for it. I understand why governments will want to legalize it more to TAX it, but that doesn't change its potential to damage people, especially youth.

But bottom line, she said, the results show “cannabis use, marijuana use, in adolescence is not healthy. It’s harmful.”

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/teenage-marijuana-use-may-permanently-reduce-iq/

The OP says "this one comes equipped with state-of-the-art technology to check a user's identity". Guess that could be crossed with age to limit purchase options. Then again, won't be long before kids will learn to bypass this control, and there's always the handy thump on the side of the machine.

Kids can get their hands on quite a bit of things more harmful than that - glue, air con liquid, alcohol...

The OP says "this one comes equipped with state-of-the-art technology to check a user's identity". Guess that could be crossed with age to limit purchase options. Then again, won't be long before kids will learn to bypass this control, and there's always the handy thump on the side of the machine.

Kids can get their hands on quite a bit of things more harmful than that - glue, air con liquid, alcohol...

Or a homeless guy nearby looking for a free spliff.

Obviously with legalization (and taxation) there is going to be MUCH more marijuana in circulation for all. Since this is the trend, I would suggest public service campaigns such as have been so very successful in reducing the incidence of cigarette smoking in the USA. I think at the very least people need to be educated that there really are health concerns for chronic use by youth. Of course the public health dangers are minor compared to alcohol.

Edited by Jingthing

Obviously with legalization (and taxation) there is going to be MUCH more marijuana in circulation for all. Since this is the trend, I would suggest public service campaigns such as have been so very successful in reducing the incidence of cigarette smoking in the USA. I think at the very least people need to be educated that there really are health concerns for chronic use by youth. Of course the public health dangers are minor compared to alcohol.

No person is chronically young....whistling.gif

• Like 1

Dunno why they don't globally legalise it.

In all the years it has been used, there has not been a single death attributed to its use.

Most health organisations and police forces worldwide have given legality its endorsement.

It is just stupid politicians that have suppressed its use thus far.

I don't use it any more myself, but I used to many years ago. I have also consumed alcohol for years, and I have seen many ill effects at the hands of alcohol and not a single problem with pot.

It would certainly chill out a lot of hot heads and probably make societies all over the world much better places to live.

Follow the link and read the article. One student went over the balcony 2 weeks ago and 2 days ago a man shot his wife to death just down the street from me.

Now that it's legal in a couple of states, several medical studies have been started. In a few years we will start getting more accurate stats on the subject. Every legal drug we take has it's "side effects", even aspirin taken in excess can cause excessive bleeding and several other issues.

These dispensing machines may or may not survive public opinion even in the legal states because of it's accessibility. As of now they have strict control laws in its use. Time will tell.

Seems that Colorado passed two laws at a similar time. One for pot and another for homosexuality.

Both met the biblical requirement "Man shall not lay down with man....lest they be stoned"

• Like 2

In all the years it has been used, there has not been a single death attributed to its use.

Most health organisations and police forces worldwide have given legality its endorsement.

I don't use it any more myself, but I used to many years ago. I have also consumed alcohol for years, and I have seen many ill effects at the hands of alcohol and not a single problem with pot.

It would certainly chill out a lot of hot heads and probably make societies all over the world much better places to live.

Never a death attributable to it? I had a close friend a telephone in his motorcycle after getting toasted. He died instantly.

• Like 1

Dying while stoned and dying because you are stoned are two different things.

A lot of people die on prescription medication, they probably lived longer because of them, though.

Driving while on any mind altering substance is usually against the law.

• Like 2

Dying while stoned and dying because you are stoned are two different things.

A lot of people die on prescription medication, they probably lived longer because of them, though.

Driving while on any mind altering substance is usually against the law.

Two Denver deaths tied to recreational marijuana use
DENVER - This week, two Denver deaths were linked to marijuana use, and while some details of the deaths have yet to emerge, they are the first ones on record to be associated with a once-illegal drug that Colorado voters legalized for recreational use, as of January 1, 2014.
One man jumped to his death after consuming a large amount of marijuana contained in a cookie, and in the other case, a man allegedly shot and killed his wife after eating marijuana candy.

...From the article...

Pongi began shaking, screaming and throwing things around a hotel room before he jumped over a fourth-floor railing into the hotel lobby March 11. An autopsy report listed marijuana intoxication as a "significant contributing factor" in the death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-denver-deaths-tied-to-recreational-marijuana-use/

"Linked to" sounds pretty tenuous as does "significant contributing factor"

They might want to check their blood and find out what else was they were taking.

They were probably uptight republicans and could stand the thrill.

At first glance the lime-green contraption looks like any that might spit out soft drinks or snacks, only this one comes equipped with state-of-the-art technology to check a user's identity and can dispense a full array of marijuana products, including edibles and pre-rolled joints.

Not a patch on the one I use in Nana. Voice activated and gives correct change.

Talk about tenuous...

Let's look at this part of your earlier post:

"Dying while stoned and dying because you are stoned are two different things."

For example, Mr. Pongi jumped to his death "while stoned" and died "because he was stoned".

Seems to be one and the same to me.

Edited by chuckd

It's hard to explain some concepts unless people either have a good knowledge of the language being used or a good understanding of science and logic. Here's an example:

I know a guy who was a diabetic and died after taking insulin. He was killed in a bus accident.

So being diabetic didn't cause the accident and neither did insulin.

So if someone gets all hopped up on meth and decides to smoke some weed and jumps off a balcony, what should we blame?

They might want to check their blood and find out what else was they were taking.

You are just in denial or being obstinate. Amazing how you know what caused my friend to drive into a telephone pole back in the 80s while he was stoned.

I have no issues with drug use. You can shoot heroine if you want provided my tax dollars does not have to be used to pay for your treatment, food or living expenses because you cannot hold a job or be a responsible member of society.

I partied with best of them when younger. Thank God I made it out. I lost many friends in their teens in early 20s. One died in a car seat next to me when 19 and I was 20 and I spent 3 months in hospital.

You are kidding yourself if you think weed does not have negative life consequences and impair one's ability to drive. Weed today is much stronger. Different strands have an upper, aggressive effect. I imagine we are going to start seeing a surge in traffic related deaths caused by weed now that it is being better tracked.

---------

Pot Fuels Surge in Drugged Driving Deaths

During each shift at her drive-through window, once an hour, Cordelia Cordova sees people rolling joints in their cars. Some blow smoke in her face and smile.

Cordova, who lost a 23-year-old niece and her 1-month-old son to a driver who admitted he smoked pot that day, never smiles back. She thinks legal marijuana in Colorado, where she works, is making the problem of drugged driving worse and now new research supports her claim.

As medical marijuana sales expanded into 20 states, legal weed was detected in the bodies of dead drivers three times more often during 2010 when compared to those who died behind the wheel in 1999, according to a new study from Columbia University published in the American Journal of Epidemiology

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pot-fuels-surge-drugged-driving-deaths-n22991

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

I agree with your post but it makes people think deeper and look into things they would possibly normally ignore.

Governments don't want their citizens to have a broad mind and think deeply as it makes their whitewash harder to put across to the masses.

Obviously with legalization (and taxation) there is going to be MUCH more marijuana in circulation for all. Since this is the trend, I would suggest public service campaigns such as have been so very successful in reducing the incidence of cigarette smoking in the USA. I think at the very least people need to be educated that there really are health concerns for chronic use by youth.

This is exactly what Bill O'Reilly has been promoting. I never thought that I would see you two on the same page.

I agree with your post but it makes people think deeper and look into things they would possibly normally ignore.

Governments don't want their citizens to have a broad mind and think deeply as it makes their whitewash harder to put across to the masses.

Hilarious. Pot makes you stupid and irresponsible! If government was a afraid of clear thinking, they would put THC in our water supply.

I fully abide by one's right to be stupid and irresponsible, party and escape provided they are not causing harm to others.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

You are just in denial or being obstinate. Amazing how you know what caused my friend to drive into a telephone pole back in the 80s while he was stoned.

I have no issues with drug use. You can shoot heroine if you want provided my tax dollars does not have to be used to pay for your treatment, food or living expenses because you cannot hold a job or be a responsible member of society.

I partied with best of them when younger. Thank God I made it out. I lost many friends in their teens in early 20s. One died in a car seat next to me when 19 and I was 20 and I spent 3 months in hospital.

You are kidding yourself if you think weed does not have negative life consequences and impair one's ability to drive. Weed today is much stronger. Different strands have an upper, aggressive effect. I imagine we are going to start seeing a surge in traffic related deaths caused by weed now that it is being better tracked.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pot-fuels-surge-drugged-driving-deaths-n22991

I am neither in denial nor am I obstinate. I believe that there is an entire host of pharmaceuticals that are not to be used when operating any type of machinery. These include some over-the-counter cold medications.

Most states have laws covering these, as you well know, and many states cover this in the driving examination.

Pot contains a psycho-active chemical that has varying effects on different people. Look at the list of side-effects on most medication. There is no reason to believe that Pot is any different.

Obviously with legalization (and taxation) there is going to be MUCH more marijuana in circulation for all. Since this is the trend, I would suggest public service campaigns such as have been so very successful in reducing the incidence of cigarette smoking in the USA. I think at the very least people need to be educated that there really are health concerns for chronic use by youth.

This is exactly what Bill O'Reilly has been promoting. I never thought that I would see you two on the same page.

Education is indeed important, for example, the effects of space cake can indeed be frightening and disorientating, especially to someone who has no experience with ingesting pot. Amsterdam coffee shops often have two rooms, one where alcohol is served, the other where pot and only pot is available - the two drugs don't mix well, this should be common knowledge.