Vendor Killed By Drunk-Driving MBK Manager

Lite Beer

In Thai thinking, he only killed a street vendor and injured a garbage collector. No big deal for a mall manager with a famous family name driving a Mercedes.

Wanna bet, he never actually serves any time in jail as a result of any court sentencing, if even the case ever makes it to any court, which it probably won't.

I'd be very surprised if the guy ever has any need to leave the country. After all, it wasn't like he killed a policeman or anyone like that!

There are plenty of legal precedents for vehicular homicide in Thailand that indicate if the defendant shows remorse and makes a substantial attempt to rectify the wrong he has done through voluntary compensation for the victims' families then the punishment may be reduced to just the fine (up to 20,000 baht) or if jail time is prescribed, that it is suspended.

That is common law, it is not a special law available only to wealthy people - it's available to anyone who has enough basic decency to take responsibility for their mistakes.

Wonder if you or I would get the same treatment if we were the driver in the same circumstances. I'm thinking likely not.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Difficult to say from a photo, but even if they scrapped it for parts he'll still get around 500,000 baht for it so considering the car's value of 1.1M that's only 600,000 baht of damages.

I'm curious as to what parts you think are worth 500k on this vehicle?

You'll be amazed at the prices in Thailand. Used parts, particularly for older German cars are far more expensive than they would be in your home country as a lot of the shops use them in their repairs as new parts can be prohibitively expensive.

Also the article states he was charged with reckless driving,is there no driving whilst intoxicated charge?

In most countries if you kill someone unintentionally, it is considered manslaughter. Most countries also have a stricter standard for DUI/DWI and it is considered reckless homicide or negligent homicide. Either way, the minimum sentence in the US is about seven years.

As his niece said he was tired from hard work. She and family will jump at an offer to not rock the boat. It is a big thing here for the family not to push the issue.

Everyone will get some money and it will buried, maybe a fine and suspended sentence. As noted they have already forgotten to add drunk driving.

If the money goes to educate some family members not so bad.

In Thai thinking, he only killed a street vendor and injured a garbage collector. No big deal for a mall manager with a famous family name driving a Mercedes.

Wanna bet, he never actually serves any time in jail as a result of any court sentencing, if even the case ever makes it to any court, which it probably won't.

I'd be very surprised if the guy ever has any need to leave the country. After all, it wasn't like he killed a policeman or anyone like that!

There are plenty of legal precedents for vehicular homicide in Thailand that indicate if the defendant shows remorse and makes a substantial attempt to rectify the wrong he has done through voluntary compensation for the victims' families then the punishment may be reduced to just the fine (up to 20,000 baht) or if jail time is prescribed, that it is suspended.

That is common law, it is not a special law available only to wealthy people - it's available to anyone who has enough basic decency to take responsibility for their mistakes.

This is exactly why jails are littered with the poor - they are not able to pay for their misdeeds, even if remorse is shown.

• Like 1

One thing I don't understand about Thailand is how civil and criminal matters are merged into one court case. In the US, compensation for the death of an individual would be matter for a civil court while criminal charges would be handled separately. Taking responsibility for one's actions is laudable but it still does not excuse a criminal act.

• Like 2

wprime post # 4

It's an old (03-09) CLK 200. They're cheaper than a new Camry.

Having assessed the value and worth of the vehicle what do you estimate the value and the worth of the deceased is to their surviving family.

Those deceased are irreplaceable hence we must surely be thinking exotic car price for a human life say 50,000,000. baht?

First RIP the victim, condolences to the family and friends,

It's not often siampolee, that I agree with you, but in this YES you are quite right, The life of a person far exceeds any tangible thing in this world, This is something we all need to remember, NOT your station NOT your wealth NOT your connections in this life, BMW or Buffalo, It matters not.

BMW, Buffalo or MBK it matters not.

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

If it was in the west you'd be right. He'd never forget but TIT and Thais DO forget.

They have this uncanny gift to block bad things out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The "gift to be able to block" things out is part of basic Buddhist training. A bad hash-up by some one who is not qualified to talk about Buddha Dhamma would be something like - don't dwell on the past you can not change it, don't dwell on the future because you are not able to predict it - dwell in the present so that you can be mindful of what you do. Understand the senses and the sense gates, be aware of inputs from the senses, address and understand, control the sense gates and return to a state of mindfulness in the present, Add in the 4 Noble truths, 8 Fold path and the 4 sublime states and you would have a basic understanding.

Thai people deal with death not because they are any less than human, rather that they understand their "humanity" better than most westerners. If the drunk actually remembers his precepts then he would be able to apply this - the family of the deceased will have no choice but to deal with the ramification.

Having said that family (with a broad definition) is more important to most Thai people and the culture than it is to most westerners. Remember that this is not the west, where the family would have support and assistance from the government

The trouble is most Thais aren't really Buddhists they just hang around temples and give things to monks which isn't the same thing. The monks and temples arrived in the same way as most religions. A group of men (it's always men) realise if they convince people that only they really understand whichever religion it is they can sit around giving advice and telling people what to do and they'll get respect and people will do things for them. I'm not saying many don't do good things as well but they would probably do that anyway.

As for not dwelling in the past stuff that's partly true but just because you can't change it doesn't mean you can't learn from it which this man needs to do but if he's of the opinion that he's very important he likely won't without some judicial help. Remember Buddha died a long time ago. As for the future I might die tonight but I probably won't and there are many things I can predict with reasonable certainty and things I know I should prepare for so it doesn't make much sense.

If the drunk had remembered his precepts he wouldn't be in this situation and the actions of the his relative shows little understanding of humanity in my view.

Basically he's a well off guy who was drunk, and probably often is but hasn't killed anyone up to now. His luck ran out and instead of money being given to the family to help them deal with the financial loss it will be given to shut them up. The family should get money but it shouldn't affect what happens to the driver.

• Like 2

The vendor is a street vendor ordinary Thai - the drunk driver killing him is a big cheese Thai manager working for MBK driving a Mercedes and his wife is a military officer. We all know where this is going. Thai justice on drunk driving killings will follow. Sayonara to this news.

• Like 1

Absolutely riveting and useful less information. Well done.

I was hoping to make a point about how this guy is not upper class before the anti-elite TV brigade use this to attack the wealthy. It didn't seem to work.

This is exactly why jails are littered with the poor - they are not able to pay for their misdeeds, even if remorse is shown.

Actually lack of remorse is seen more often than not in similar cases to these as a lot of Thai people have the view that if they didn't intend to cause harm, it's not their fault. They often fail to make a connection between actions and the outcome and put it down to bad luck.

One thing I don't understand about Thailand is how civil and criminal matters are merged into one court case. In the US, compensation for the death of an individual would be matter for a civil court while criminal charges would be handled separately. Taking responsibility for one's actions is laudable but it still does not excuse a criminal act.

They are separate issues. The victims' families can sue for compensation but if the person is worth suing, then chances are they will make a voluntary offer which would greatly exceed anything they could win in court.

• Like 2

Difficult to say from a photo, but even if they scrapped it for parts he'll still get around 500,000 baht for it so considering the car's value of 1.1M that's only 600,000 baht of damages.

You'll be amazed at the prices in Thailand. Used parts, particularly for older German cars are far more expensive than they would be in your home country as a lot of the shops use them in their repairs as new parts can be prohibitively expensive.

Boy Oh boy, your posts get more interesting the more you post. Now waiting for the next really interesting snippet of garbage.

Boy Oh boy, your posts get more interesting the more you post. Now waiting for the next really interesting snippet of garbage.

I suggest doing some research before critising others, all you're doing is attempting to cause a fight through unbased insults like an upset child. Head over to the junkyards in Phrapadaeng, Bang Na or maybe Kanchanaphisek W and note the prices, then come back here with some real evidence, otherwise keep your crap to yourself.

• Like 1

Prison for a long time, a hefty fine and financial restitution to the deceased's family, especially the disabled brother. That's the least that should happen and it would in the UK.

However, TiT, and as people have said, a long holiday in Singapore will probably be all that comes off.

But to be more worried about your car (aka penis length) than the person you killed ... Throw the book at him.

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

The insurance won't pay as he was over the legal alcohol limit, also I can't believe your attitude... it stinks!!!!

• Like 2

He should pay for the disabled family member's needs for the rest of that person's life from his undoubted vast fortune. He should also serve jail time for being a dumb ass. I doubt sadly that either will happen. But best of luck to the family of the poor person who shouldn't have died and I dearly hope they see some kind of justice...

• Like 1

Thai Benz driver has a major accident.

Jumps out of the crashed Benz shouting that's its ruined.

Passerby shouts in disgust, all you care about is your car, you haven't even noticed that your arm has been ripped off.

The driver looks down,

'Oh my God my Rolex!'.

RIP to the deceased. I suspect a lumpsum of cash will appear and pay them off, charges minimized, fine, and off you go.

• Like 2

wprime post # 4

Having assessed the value and worth of the vehicle what do you estimate the value and the worth of the deceased is to their surviving family.

Those deceased are irreplaceable hence we must surely be thinking exotic car price for a human life say 50,000,000. baht?

Based on Thai common law he'll probably be worth from 30,000 to 100,000. The car looks to have at least 500,000 baht of damages and considering he was drunk, he will probably get the maximum fine for vehicular homicide of 20,000 baht.

Looks like it will be a very costly night of drinking for him.

500,000 of damage to the car? Please tell me you're joking. That car is a total write-off!

• Like 1

RIP the deceased and condolences to his family.

The statement that " The insurance company will pay and it will all blow over."

I am not so sure about that, most insurance policies are voided by illegal acts. I am not sure about Thailand but I would be surprised if they pay out under those circumstances.

The third party personal injury insurance may pay the family but I would expect them to then sue the perpetrator who has probably got a bob or two.

I hope his penalty is harsh and he is left destitute. My gut feeling is that with suitable connections and sufficient money in the right or wrong places it will all blow over.

Can we ask Thai Visa to follow this case up and see exactly what does or does not happen to this Richard cranium??

wprime post # 4

B...t

Every car insurance provider in Thailand will tell you that if someone is hit by a car and die, the family will be paid a maximum of 300,000 Baht.

We had a salesman in our company and one day he hit a man with his car and the man died.

My boss went instantly to the family of the deceased and together with a policeman he offered 300,000 baht to the family to withdraw their case.

They accepted and the case was closed.

TIT

• Like 1

And what about the future when he does it again which I'm fairly certain is a possibility. From what I've seen a lot of Thais don't seem very good at learning from mistakes. He could kill someone else remember. I doubt this was the first time he'd driven under the influence.

If like most Thais he claims to be a Buddhist then maybe some time in a cell reading the five precepts.

1) To undertake the training to avoid taking the life of beings. This precept applies to all living beings not just humans. All beings have a right to their lives and that right should be respected.

2) To undertake the training to avoid taking things not given. This precept goes further than mere stealing. One should avoid taking anything unless one can be sure that is intended that it is for you.

3) To undertake the training to avoid sensual misconduct. This precept is often mistranslated or misinterpreted as relating only to sexual misconduct but it covers any overindulgence in any sensual pleasure such as gluttony as well as misconduct of a sexual nature.

4) To undertake the training to refrain from false speech. As well as avoiding lying and deceiving, this precept covers slander as well as speech which is not beneficial to the welfare of others.

5) To undertake the training to abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness. This precept is in a special category as it does not infer any intrinsic evil in, say, alcohol itself but indulgence in such a substance could be the cause of breaking the other four precepts.

From http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/budethics.htm

1 and 5 are particularly appropriate.

but he is hi so so none of the above apply.

• Like 1

Black Mercedes = @#$hole. Add a red plate and means huge @#$hole. Every close call I have had in driving in BKK has been with Rich jerks in German cars. No matter. The rich can still kill whoever they want in Thailand. Hope some day people driving cars that could pay for 500 medical operations for the poor will become targets.

I resent that you judge rich people and Mercedes drivers as being jerks just because one poor person in an old Mercedes crashed while drunk.

not just one... tons and tons and tons of incidents with cars, motorbikes, guns etc. where the rich Ammart's kids stomp all over Thailand like some Roman General uninterested in their carnage because of WHO they are

THIS is Thailand's problem "krenge jai" your 'betters' and if you can't see that then you are amazingly naive - his relatives COMMENT was:

"explaining that she does not want the incident to make it to the news as she is a high-ranking military officer"

as for your:

"just because one poor person in an old Mercedes crashed while drunk"

I am SPEECHLESS

I'm sorry but if you think the driver is upper class them you're amazingly naive. His car can be obtained with a 10,000 baht/month loan + service, insurance, etc, 25,000 baht tops per month, his job would pay around 150k/month and his highest connection is an non-specific "high" ranking military officer.

Tons and tons? We're talking about 3-5 incidents per year, out of 25,000 road casualties per year, or 0.016%. There are problem people in all classes of society, based on statistics, wealthy people are greatly underrepresented as the cause of road casualties. Why? Of course they are, they have more to lose.

The media selectively publishes when wealthy people are at fault because it makes sales, poor people love reading this stuff. Your lack of critical reading skills combined with your obvious jealousy of the wealthy are the root of your beliefs. They are not backed with facts.

hang on wprime he is manager of mbk shopping mall,don't tell me he is skint.

• Like 1

And what about the future when he does it again which I'm fairly certain is a possibility. From what I've seen a lot of Thais don't seem very good at learning from mistakes. He could kill someone else remember. I doubt this was the first time he'd driven under the influence.

If like most Thais he claims to be a Buddhist then maybe some time in a cell reading the five precepts.

1) To undertake the training to avoid taking the life of beings. This precept applies to all living beings not just humans. All beings have a right to their lives and that right should be respected.

2) To undertake the training to avoid taking things not given. This precept goes further than mere stealing. One should avoid taking anything unless one can be sure that is intended that it is for you.

3) To undertake the training to avoid sensual misconduct. This precept is often mistranslated or misinterpreted as relating only to sexual misconduct but it covers any overindulgence in any sensual pleasure such as gluttony as well as misconduct of a sexual nature.

4) To undertake the training to refrain from false speech. As well as avoiding lying and deceiving, this precept covers slander as well as speech which is not beneficial to the welfare of others.

5) To undertake the training to abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness. This precept is in a special category as it does not infer any intrinsic evil in, say, alcohol itself but indulgence in such a substance could be the cause of breaking the other four precepts.

As relevant as quoting from the 10 commandments if one were to post on a thread about a 'farang' up to no good. I think we should leave the religious cliches in the drawer, we've seen it all before.

As relevant as quoting from the 10 commandments if one were to post on a thread about a 'farang' up to no good. I think we should leave the religious cliches in the drawer, we've seen it all before.

I'm not sure if there's anything about drinking in the 10 commandments but if there were it might be relevant if the driver were religious.

Most Thais claim to be Buddhists and most show little regard for the 5 precepts which is why this happened.

That's a fact regardless of whether it's a clichés or not. The fact that we've seen it all before doesn't make it any less of a fact.

• Like 1