Why doesn't Thailand offer naturalization to alien married with Thai?

Rimbuman

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais are taught in school... and at home, one supposes, that "Thais" are a race of people (homogeneous, which is nonsense of course - probably propagated by Chinese Thais in the first place), therefore, the idea of you ever being Thai - as in a passport holder - is simply absurd. You also haven't undergone the correct socialization process.

Actually, up until the very xenophobic military governments of the 70s changed the rules (that nobody has dared to demand be changed back) it was very easy to get citizenship.

Thais are taught in school... and at home, one supposes, that "Thais" are a race of people (homogeneous, which is nonsense of course - probably propagated by Chinese Thais in the first place), therefore, the idea of you ever being Thai - as in a passport holder - is simply absurd. You also haven't undergone the correct socialization process.

Actually, up until the very xenophobic military governments of the 70s changed the rules (that nobody has dared to demand be changed back) it was very easy to get citizenship.

Quite a few farang not born in Thailand are (legal) Thai passport holders.

Post #124

Edited by Rimbuman

In my observation, Thai people are generally selfish, so look after number one, so, as is often said "its our country", and can only be owned by thais,(generally) if you allow naturalisation, where is the money in that ? Nothing to be earned from it, no more visa money etc.

It would be interesting to know the actual amount of money earned every year from retirees paying for annual visa and re-entry permits. To say nothing of the loss of money to neighbouring countries for those that have to do 20 minute border crossings every 90 days etc.

As said before, we are tolerated nothing more. If we didnt supply a source of income then it would change for the worse rapidly in my opinion.

Don't know how many countries are similiar to Canada's policy of shutting down Gov't pensions if you remain outside of the country more than 6 months or if you advise the Gov't you will be residing in Thailand they quickly grab 40% claw back on the pensions. Honesty=40% clawback deceit= 100% pension loss.

But the other way round Mrs.Trans can in the UK.

I am confused, British, Scottish, UK. What Nationality are you?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For people who don't know how someone that is Scottish is also British, but is a citizen of the UK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10&list=PLqs5ohhass_QZtSkX06DmWOaEaadwmw_D

And if you think it's confusing now, there's a referendum later this year where Scotland can vote to leave the UK. At which point, Scots would still be Scottish and British (in geographical terms as those born on the mainland would still be from the island of Great Britain), but would cease to be from the UK. (although unless we give up our UK nationality, those of us born in Scotland while it was still in the UK would effectively be dual nationals of the UK and Scotland).

• Like 1

I guess it is psychological but it is very easy for me to look at a Thai person and say "Oh they are also American" but to look at a farang and say "Oh he is also a Thai citizen"... and the idea of giving every farang who manages to live in Thailand on a perpetual vacation and gets married to a Thai woman which could be done in 24 hours upon arrival if necessary a Thai passport also seems a bit silly to me in practice although the same thing happening in the USA does not seem silly to me... I guess there is just a certain "silliness" to farang in Thailand in general.

It is like the Western world is the "real world" and Thailand is some sort of fantasy land... where marriages in the West are real marriages and marriages in Thailand are kind of, well you know what I mean... and I really can't blame the Thai government for not making it easy for farang to gain Thai citizenship.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its the old saga. They don'want western foreigners, they want our money only.

So, rent and not buy.
We can never know what will be next in this country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fact is, you can.

The caveat is that you have to have been working with work permits and paying tax continually for three years to be eligible to apply under the Thai spouse category (as well as few other things like charitable donations).

I'm not trying to justify the existing state of play - I think spouses should be given automatic work rights and a predictable path to citizenship. But the Thai rules of residency and citizenship seem heavily skewed in favour of those who work and contribute in Thailand, rather than say investors.

However, as a result, many Thai are descendants of foreigners.

ASEAN may change the law, as the Philippines readily provide a residence permit to a foreign spouse.

Edited by dighambara

i cant see there would be anything that one would gain,???

apart from not having to do visa/imigration,

the only thing i can see is people who are short of money,and im not being cleaver here,

if they didnt have to show money in the bank they could live here,,on there state pentions,

i just cant see the advantage,,,

but each to there own

jake

What to gain,

I bought my own house, on my own, nobody else involved.

I can come and go from the country as I like, no permission to ask, don't need to pay to leave, don't need to pay to enter.

Can stay as long as I like without seeking permission from anyone.

Can live where I like without anyone reporting me, or me reporting to anyone.

Can buy a car or bike whenever I feel like it, no planning required.

Can open a bank account without any hassle, just try that as an American citizen in Thailand.

I have loads of money, and let me tell you, the more money you have, the less tolerant you become of the BS immigration want to put you through.

i cant see there would be anything that one would gain,???

apart from not having to do visa/imigration,

the only thing i can see is people who are short of money,and im not being cleaver here,

if they didnt have to show money in the bank they could live here,,on there state pentions,

i just cant see the advantage,,,

but each to there own

jake

What to gain,

I bought my own house, on my own, nobody else involved.

I can come and go from the country as I like, no permission to ask, don't need to pay to leave, don't need to pay to enter.

Can stay as long as I like without seeking permission from anyone.

Can live where I like without anyone reporting me, or me reporting to anyone.

Can buy a car or bike whenever I feel like it, no planning required.

Can open a bank account without any hassle, just try that as an American citizen in Thailand.

I have loads of money, and let me tell you, the more money you have, the less tolerant you become of the BS immigration want to put you through.

AOA - I may have missed it, but when did you get your Thai citizenship?

Stop thinking about the almighty farang for a second and think of the billion Chinese and hundreds of millions of Burmese, Cambodians, Laos, Indians, Iranians, Nigerians, and everyone else who would completely decimate this country if the government gave a passport no questions asked and with no hurdles if they simply found a Noi to sign a marriage paper.

It is NOT ALL ABOUT FARANGS, people. Use your heads for once.

exactly what i stated in post #90. alas, too many farang (the mighty farang) on TV think they are the epicentre of the universe and know everything about anything.

If "Thailand" is reading this topic I'm sure it won't change its policy any soon. A policy which btw is not just applicable to farang but also to several million of Chinese who'd love to come here (their backyard), buy land, start a business, etc. Ask Burma or Laos............................

I won't have to give up my British(soon to be Scottish) nationality. Most countries allow dual.

Yes but that 'British' bit opens many doors. What country in their right mind would let in a jock from a sovereign jockland? biggrin.png

There are some very well loved Scots in Thailand - Willie McIntosh, P Bird Thongchai McIntyre, and even govt. ministers like Mechai Viravaidya.

I might soon apply for Thai citizenship as Germany is currently discussing dual nationality for German's. When the law is passed in Germany I will surely apply for Thai citizenship.

Have paid huge taxes (income taxes) for the past 23 years in this country.

The Citizenship "you must have" questions..........Why don't they include "OR" questions..................

1. Has your alien cash taken care of a Thai national over a period of over xxx number of years..........YES

2. Has your alien cash taken care of Thai children because their father doesn't want to spend his Thai cash..............YES

3. Do Thai authorities make it difficult for you as an alien because you spend your alien cash on providing for Thai citizens...........YES

Just a thought..........smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Sure you are right, this happened and happens to many of us. This is the way it is, but no reason to do nothing because "we can't change our position and place in the Thai society anyway so why bother"

To do nothing keeps us exactly where we are and keeps us there for a long time to come, good excuse to grab another beer and winning on about these selfish unjust Thai.

In most countries we come from, people or groups of people who have problems with unfair rules and indifference unite and form a pressure

group to expose and fight this.

Why can't we do this here?

Actually the timing to do this would be perfect now, because of the already contaminated political situation in Thailand we could benefit from a hitch on the ride of the global media attention Thailand has.

In your home country, have you noticed the changes these so called pressure groups have caused to the social systems of that country? Are you happy with the immigration issues that are occurring in said home country through the influence of these groups?

The above may be an insight into the viewpoint of the Thais. I realize the topic is based on being married to a national, but this would be the starting point, IMHO. That said, if a foreign woman marries a Thai, there is no need to show financial details for them. Whether this helps them with citizenship, I'm not sure.

The above is not intended to be racial, just observation from my home country. As much as it can be a pain, being married to a Thai (from the visa side anyway) I think Thailand has it right with their policies; I would like to see it the same or similar implemented where I am from.

• Like 1

The Citizenship "you must have" questions..........Why don't they include "OR" questions..................

1. Has your alien cash taken care of a Thai national over a period of over xxx number of years..........YES

2. Has your alien cash taken care of Thai children because their father doesn't want to spend his Thai cash..............YES

3. Do Thai authorities make it difficult for you as an alien because you spend your alien cash on providing for Thai citizens...........YES

Just a thought..........smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Sure you are right, this happened and happens to many of us. This is the way it is, but no reason to do nothing because "we can't change our position and place in the Thai society anyway so why bother"

To do nothing keeps us exactly where we are and keeps us there for a long time to come, good excuse to grab another beer and winning on about these selfish unjust Thai.

In most countries we come from, people or groups of people who have problems with unfair rules and indifference unite and form a pressure

Actually the timing to do this would be perfect now, because of the already contaminated political situation in Thailand we could benefit from a hitch on the ride of the global media attention Thailand has.

In your home country, have you noticed the changes these so called pressure groups have caused to the social systems of that country? Are you happy with the immigration issues that are occurring in said home country through the influence of these groups?

The above may be an insight into the viewpoint of the Thais. I realize the topic is based on being married to a national, but this would be the starting point, IMHO. That said, if a foreign woman marries a Thai, there is no need to show financial details for them. Whether this helps them with citizenship, I'm not sure.

The above is not intended to be racial, just observation from my home country. As much as it can be a pain, being married to a Thai (from the visa side anyway) I think Thailand has it right with their policies; I would like to see it the same or similar implemented where I am from.

Most of us living here in the kingdom have brought substantial amounts of money in and have done a lot to improve the lives of their family (in law) in the kingdom.

I have the feeling (I could be wrong) that the pressure groups you are referring to haven't really done anything like this and were and are

economical opportunity seeking immigrants who came with only the shirt they were wearing.

It's not quite the same is it? And that is why I don't understand posts like this at all.

If this would be a good orientation point for the Thai to base their immigration policies on according to what you state, we'd do ourselves short.

In that respect I believe we(Farang in Thailand) deserve a little better than that.

Edited by Rimbuman
  • Like 1

So, maybe there should be a law that says farang spouses get Thai citizenship but not Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Chinese, Iranian, Nigerian, or other non-farang foreign spouses.

Yes, that would be nice. Farangs are a special, superior class of foreigner after all...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Just a thought..........smile.png

Most of us living here in the kingdom have brought substantial amounts of money in and have done a lot to improve the lives of their family (in law) in the kingdom.

I have the feeling (I could be wrong) that the pressure groups you are referring to haven't really done anything like this and were and are

economical opportunity seeking immigrants who came with only the shirt they were wearing.

It's not quite the same is it? And that is why I don't understand posts like this at all.

If this would be a good orientation point for the Thai to base their immigration policies on according to what you state, we'd do ourselves short.

In that respect I believe we deserve a little better than that.

Sorry, perhaps it was written wrongly.

What I should have asked was what do you think would give you the right to organize a pressure group in a different country other than your own for the purpose of bettering your chances of remaining in the country based on marriage to a Thai national?

My response in the earlier post was pointing out that Thailand wouldn't allow this, and that I thought this was a better policy that the one adopted from where I am from.

Please don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, but you have to look at it from the Thai side as well. Providing income and finance for the family, whether it be one, five, ten, twenty million baht annually, the tax on this is minimal in the big picture and won't make much of an impact to the coffers of the country.

I've been married and living here for the last 15 years, so yes, it would be beneficial to me as well...................wink.png

• Like 1

So, maybe there should be a law that says farang spouses get Thai citizenship but not Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Chinese, Iranian, Nigerian, or other non-farang foreign spouses.

Yes, that would be nice. Farangs are a special, superior class of foreigner after all...

Reading your post it seems you aren't aware that there are different rules and regulations in place here in Thailand for certain foreigners.

You'd be aware of this if you had go through what they have to go through mate.

And do you really believe there is no discrimination against certain nationalities in this country? I know it is still early, have some coffee coffee1.gif

Also in many Farang countries you'd be welcome if you bring money or have skills that benefits the nation.

• Like 2

Also in many Farang countries you'd be welcome if you bring money or have skills that benefits the nation.

maybe, but how many farang here do actually bring benefit for the nation except for supporting a wife/family which is considered "evident/normal" according to thai customs ? your definition of benefit is not the thai definition of benefit.

When we go to Lao it costs me 1500bht, my wife 20/40bht (not sure) to enter. Perhaps you can tell me your point of view on this then ?

What I should have asked was what do you think would give you the right to organize a pressure group in a different country other than your own for the purpose of bettering your chances of remaining in the country based on marriage to a Thai national?

My response in the earlier post was pointing out that Thailand wouldn't allow this, and that I thought this was a better policy that the one adopted from where I am from.

Please don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, but you have to look at it from the Thai side as well. Providing income and finance for the family, whether it be one, five, ten, twenty million baht annually, the tax on this is minimal in the big picture and won't make much of an impact to the coffers of the country.

I've been married and living here for the last 15 years, so yes, it would be beneficial to me as well...................wink.png

I also support a pressure group, but it has to be Thai wives who campaign as I posted before.

It's about reciprocal fairness but I would like to see a special status created Foreigners Residence ID rather than going for easy citizenship or similar. I don't want the right to vote for example.

About ownership of land, a vexed question. Under Franco in Spain, only the Spanish could own land. Prices were low. After Franco foreigners could buy land and the prices rocketed out of all proportion. Perhaps a new ID could allow joint ownership of a single property that is to be the main residence? Maybe even locked against sale for a period of years? Maybe a new, punitive tax on any profits from sale? Care must be taken not to destabilise the housing market, but these things need to be worked out in advance.

This is a super thread by the way. Is it time to start a new thread and gather the names of those who would take part in a group?

Their first task would be to draft out exactly what was required as benefits and taking care not to open the floodgates to the ruination of Thailand.

While the rest of you are having a good gripe on your barstools, I actually went out and got Thai nationality. I didn't even have to marry a Noi to do it. And I had a much easier time of it than my non-Anerican brother-in-law did acquiring Anerican citizenship after marrying my sister.

...and that is the issue isn't it? It really isn't THAT hard...

He stated Thai Nationality, not Thai Citizenship.

And the difference would be...?

Voting rights and the right to hold any job. NO matter what flaming hoop a foreigner leaps through, she will never have be able to vote or perform in the job as accountant, among any other " service" job ( as written in FBA )

The Chinese have a lot more money than the average farang these days. So do the Arabs and Russians.

Let them all in and give them the keys to the Kingdom after they pay Pussycat Noi 5,000 baht to marry them?

Let's face the facts. The average farang spouse is no great shakes when it comes to benefit to the Kingdom. Just take a look at the misfits knocking around Isan and Pattaya. They should feel privileged to be tolerated at all.

• Like 2

When we go to Lao it costs me 1500bht, my wife 20/40bht (not sure) to enter. Perhaps you can tell me your point of view on this then ?

What the heck does Lao immigration rules have to do with this thread?

Voting rights and the right to hold any job. NO matter what flaming hoop a foreigner leaps through, she will never have be able to vote or perform in the job as accountant, among any other " service" job ( as written in FBA )

I have both voting rights and the right to work at any job in Thailand, because I bothered to apply for citizenship and go through the process.

A US green card does not give you voting rights, by the way. It DOES give you the "right" to be taxed by the US government on all your income worldwide. Bonus!

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

While the rest of you are having a good gripe on your barstools, I actually went out and got Thai nationality. I didn't even have to marry a Noi to do it. And I had a much easier time of it than my non-Anerican brother-in-law did acquiring Anerican citizenship after marrying my sister.

...and that is the issue isn't it? It really isn't THAT hard...

He stated Thai Nationality, not Thai Citizenship.

And the difference would be...?

Your post makes no sense. Thai law makes no distinction between national and citizenship status, unlike say the US which does.

A naturalised Thai citizen can vote and can work in any occupation they are qualified for.

They are unfortunately not allowed to run for political office.

I also support a pressure group, but it has to be Thai wives who campaign as I posted before.

It's about reciprocal fairness but I would like to see a special status created Foreigners Residence ID rather than going for easy citizenship or similar. I don't want the right to vote for example.

About ownership of land, a vexed question. Under Franco in Spain, only the Spanish could own land. Prices were low. After Franco foreigners could buy land and the prices rocketed out of all proportion. Perhaps a new ID could allow joint ownership of a single property that is to be the main residence? Maybe even locked against sale for a period of years? Maybe a new, punitive tax on any profits from sale? Care must be taken not to destabilise the housing market, but these things need to be worked out in advance.

This is a super thread by the way. Is it time to start a new thread and gather the names of those who would take part in a group?

Their first task would be to draft out exactly what was required as benefits and taking care not to open the floodgates to the ruination of Thailand.

Ride on mate, I'm in thumbsup.gif