New car on road at night

seajae

Get the new car in the next 2 weeks and my wife has just informed me that for some reason new cars are not allowed to be driven on the road at night, she cant elaborate but surely this cant be a fact. Can anyone shed any light on this as I have never heard of it beforem she said her last new car years ago was not allowed on the roads at night something to do with red plates?

Thanks in advance.

I was going to drive to bangkok(700 klm) to run it in, why in the hell would they make some stupid law like this or is it because they dony know how to handle a new car themsleves??????????

I was going to drive to bangkok(700 klm) to run it in, why in the hell would they make some stupid law like this or is it because they dony know how to handle a new car themsleves??????????

Confirm what ' crossy ' says is the requirement, either go along with it or pay fines.

Just drive the car around your own district until the first sheduled oil change.

You should have your official new car plates for get out of jail card within 30 days.

• Like 1

Yes, its correct. Not always enforced, but I was stopped once in BKK and bought the BiB a cuppa.

Actually I was stopped twice, the 2nd time tho it was daylight and I was in BKK - should have been ok....

I was coming through a toll gate and the traffic police pulled me in, told me my red plate was a 'fake'

1000b fine for that, which I passed on to the dealer.

Apparantly the transport office issue limited amounts of red plates to dealers, so if they (Ford, in my case) run out, they stick there own on, illegally.

The whole red plate thing is a joke really, they should pull their fingers out and get the car registered fully before you collect it.

Edited by jonw8uk
  • Like 1

Think it is for before 6 or 7am and after 6 or 7 pm...something like that.

Also you have to fill out your log book EVERYWHERE you drive, cops at checks will ask for it as it is an easy forget and pay a wittle fine......why, no idea, just another pissant excuse for funds.

As for driving at night, copper told us its because more cars get stolen at night, so they want us tucked up safely at home....go figure.

• Like 1

thanks guys, pretty bullshit though, I have to go to Bangkok and it cant be put off and I will need the car while I am there, car has been on order for 4 weeks(wanted manual and they had to order it from Bangkok), buggers could organize a piss up in a brewery.

Yes it is true. I think it is after 6pm and probably because of vision problems. I drove mine around for a few days and then a cop politely informed me of the law but let me go without a penalty (of any kind). Having said this, you see red plate cars all the time so it is pot luck I guess. Like riding a bike without a helmet.

If the car has been on order for weeks then they have time to register it and get a plate. Just tell the salesman that you don't want a red plate.

Problem is that to get the white plates the registration fee has to be paid by the seller. And they want to keep that in their pockets as long as possible.

• Like 1

Driving at night time is illegal as others say but you are just unlucky if stopped ... I never have been. Now when driving out of the province where the red plates are from just make sure that you fill in the log book (it comes with the red plates) before you start your journey and you should be okay.

The dealer asked us to write the log in pencil so it could be rubbed out later!!

Just don't worry ... enjoy

• Like 2

But don't be too worried about it...we drove ours everywhere and any time, only got done a few times and couple hundred baht each time....so if you have to, just do it.

Often my hire car has red plates but never been stopped. However a friend got stopped for the illegal red plate provided by the garage. Guess one just has to travel around with a few extra notes in one's wallet for emergencies

• Like 1

Cum on guys, look at it realistically. You have an accident after 7pm in your new vehicle when it's on red plates and the only think that will happen is your going to feel a world of grief! The police will want to charge you with everything they can. Your insurance company will disown you. The people you injured will want your blood.

Don't be a risk taker, it's just not worth the risk.

Note also when driving outside your district, you need to fill in the log book, on where your going, etc, kilometer when you started and WHY your going to where ever

:)

My wife got very angry about this so just said

"On a tour of THailand"

Wasn't deemed enough information

Could possibly be the dumbest rule / law in Thailand.

I think not buying booze 2-5pm beats it hands down:) And you can't take your red plate car to buy it at 6pm lol

is it legal to drive a red plate car to go do your 90 day report in the morning and then grab some beer between 2-5 pm in your own province as long as you are home before 6pm? lol

all 3 covered in one go.

Could possibly be the dumbest rule / law in Thailand.

I think not buying booze 2-5pm beats it hands down:) And you can't take your red plate car to buy it at 6pm lol

Being in the overtaking lane when passing a u-turn. The cops who stopped me kept going on about Leo before handing 100 Baht to them.

thanks guys, pretty bullshit though, I have to go to Bangkok and it cant be put off and I will need the car while I am there, car has been on order for 4 weeks(wanted manual and they had to order it from Bangkok), buggers could organize a piss up in a brewery.

Tell the dealer prior to delivery that you won't accept it unless the red plates come with the corresponding log book. This will ensure (as sure as you can be) that they are supplying you with genuine red plates as opposed to fakes. This should at least help you avoid some tea contributions.

Then as other posters mention, just fill in the log book before you depart for Bangkok and you will have no issues with driving outside of your home district. On most occasions when they see you have the book they wave you off.

Entrances to the expressways are the favorite place for BiB to look for cars with red plates for contributions to their pension funds, so try to avoid them as much as possible after 6pm, or at a minimum enter at the extreme right gate.

No reason not to drive to Bangkok if you have the log book and fill it out.

Tell the dealer prior to delivery that you won't accept it unless the red plates come with the corresponding log book. This will ensure (as sure as you can be) that they are supplying you with genuine red plates as opposed to fakes. This should at least help you avoid some tea contributions.

Then as other posters mention, just fill in the log book before you depart for Bangkok and you will have no issues with driving outside of your home district. On most occasions when they see you have the book they wave you off.

Entrances to the expressways are the favorite place for BiB to look for cars with red plates for contributions to their pension funds, so try to avoid them as much as possible after 6pm, or at a minimum enter at the extreme right gate.

No reason not to drive to bangkok, except that it is illegal.

Would I do it myself, sure, but don't give false information please. Even with logbook and real red plates driving at night and out of province is illegal.

Would I do it myself, sure, but don't give false information please. Even with logbook and real red plates driving at night and out of province is illegal.

Driving outside of the province is perfectly legal as long as you have filled out the log book prior to departure. Nothing false about that information!!

• Like 1

Driving outside of the province is perfectly legal as long as you have filled out the log book prior to departure. Nothing false about that information!!

I thought otherwise. But if true, I stand corrected and thanks for the information.

I thought otherwise. But if true, I stand corrected and thanks for the information.

According to this thread, and a reliable poster, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656592-red-licence-plate-restrictions/, they can not be used out of province unless special permission is given.