Possible to arrange a Van or Pickup truck to collect me from the airport?

davidjg

Any licensed and legal company can do airport transfers, and there are many of those. Nothing to do with 'registered in krabi', 'flying under the radar', 'not hanging around at the airport' 'being part of a kartel' and all that kind of non-information sprouted here on a regular basis.

As has been shown in the past and will be the case in the future, if a company started picking up passengers on a regular basis with clearly marked company logo, there WILL BE A PROBLEM. I wonder why certain posters that always bicker with other members refuse to accept reality instead of what the law actually says?

Exactly, and what's wrong with warning someone who starts a thread on this forum that transport out of Phuket Airport "operates" differently to other places in Thailand????

We all know, what should happen there, doesn't.

It is a fact, not an opinion.

28 posts in this thread, 8 of those yours, none of them answering the OP.

I cast my vote for Phuket Shuttle back in Post No. 8. Quite a clear reply to the OP.

You posts, however, have been a personal attack upon myself, and would have the OP believe all is well and as it should be at the Phuket Airport by way of transport, which, we all know is inaccurate.

You are Allowed to take passengers and for those passengers to share fuel costs, it is against the law to take money from someone for anything other than shared fuel costs, this is about someone wanting to be kind and offer another person a lift, in my case I have time on my hands, I don't work and I personally would not have wanted any money for fuel as I have my own money and do not need to earn extra!!

The op did not ask for any information regarding corruption, he was asking about a way to get from the airport to Chalong, start a new thread on corruption where you can complain as much as you want!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 1

You are Allowed to take passengers and for those passengers to share fuel costs, it is against the law to take money from someone for anything other than shared fuel costs, this is about someone wanting to be kind and offer another person a lift, in my case I have time on my hands, I don't work and I personally would not have wanted any money for fuel as I have my own money and do not need to earn extra!!

The op did not ask for any information regarding corruption, he was asking about a way to get from the airport to Chalong, start a new thread on corruption where you complain as much as you want!!

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the abnormalities of Phuket Airport transport to the OP.

If his new friend is unable to pick him up, I would say his next best option is the van from Phuket Shuttle.

In reality, we could easily have several threads, everyday, of people flying into Phuket for a holiday, and wanting to be picked up, for fuel costs, to avoid all transport options out of Phuket Airport, but we all know it would be more than just "fuel costs" exchanging hands, then, as another member states, there would be a problem.

We wouldn't want the OP to be picked up by someone who is on the boarder of working illegally in airport transport. There could be a nasty scene.

As it is, there are already many transport threads on this forum, some containing video. The OP can see what a mess it is, so, I would suggest, the safest option would be the Phuket Shuttle, especially with the wife and kids.

The op did not ask for any information regarding corruption, he was asking about a way to get from the airport to Chalong, start a new thread on corruption where you complain as much as you want!!

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the abnormalities of Phuket Airport transport to the OP.

If his new friend is unable to pick him up, I would say his next best option is the van from Phuket Shuttle.

In reality, we could easily have several threads, everyday, of people flying into Phuket for a holiday, and wanting to be picked up, for fuel costs, to avoid all transport options out of Phuket Airport, but we all know it would be more than just "fuel costs" exchanging hands, then, as another member states, there would be a problem.

We wouldn't want the OP to be picked up by someone who is on the boarder of working illegally in airport transport. There could be a nasty scene.

As it is, there are already many transport threads on this forum, some containing video. The OP can see what a mess it is, so, I would suggest, the safest option would be the Phuket Shuttle, especially with the wife and kids.

It's not a problem now as someone has been kind enough to offer the op assistance, what is wrong with offering help to people in a one off situation.

We all know there is a lot wrong with Phuket, if the op had wanted specific advice on corruption I'm sure he would have mentioned it within his first post.

It's not a problem now as someone has been kind enough to offer the op assistance, what is wrong with offering help to people in a one off situation.

We all know there is a lot wrong with Phuket, if the op had wanted specific advice on corruption I'm sure he would have mentioned it within his first post.

I am gathering whoever has offered to "help" is unknown to the OP.

If that person, who I gather is also a foreigner, does a lot of "airport runs" because he is so kind, the OP and his family may be involved in a nasty incident, not to mention there simply are a lot of foreigners on Phuket who are dodgy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is bound to happen. I'm not saying the foreigner offering his "help" is dodgy. I'm only saying that something could happen, or the foreigner could be dodgy.

We even have Thai drivers operating as black taxis being volved in incidents at the Phuket Airport.

If it was the just the OP and his dogs and luggage, no problem, roll the dice, but, if something was to happen, would you really want your kids to witness it?

So, my "specific advice" to the OP is to be completely legal on this occasion and go with the Phuket Shuttle van.

I really don't think an angry mob of Phuket Airport taxi drivers could care less if it's only for "fuel costs." They know full well what is going on, and considering the OP is looking to transport several people, a lot of luggage and some dogs, these drivers would see they are missing out on a big fare, which touches on the corruption issue, because they miss out on the opportunity to rip off the OP, big time.

A foreigner picking up a lot of people, luggage and dogs would certainly draw attention.

<snip>

A foreigner picking up a lot of people, luggage and dogs would certainly draw attention.

Yes, and that happens all the time without problems.

You're muddling and looking for problems, even when there are none.

<snip>

Maybe the OP might be lucky to get this guy "help" him. :) :)

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Aussie-taxi-driver-intimidates-other-drivers-with-gun-blade/22393#ad-image-0

Sorry but are you happy here in Phuket? you seem a very angry man and have lots and lots to say about corruption!

I'm very happy here, and there really is no corruption, it's just a myth. cheesy.gif

Brilliant, we don't need to here any more about corruption then!!

<snip>

Here's the video of the "muddling." :)

Sorry but are you happy here in Phuket? you seem a very angry man and have lots and lots to say about corruption!

I'm very happy here, and there really is no corruption, it's just a myth. cheesy.gif

Brilliant, we don't need to here any more about corruption then!!

I think there should be a pinned topic for everyone flying into Phuket to arrange some "help" and of course, only for "fuel costs" from a foreign driver to get to their hotel. cheesy.gif

Don't understand why you have posted this video? I'm fed up reading all about so called corruption, if I ever come across any I will post to discuss it!!

I posted the video to show how quick a nasty incident can happen when a bunch of taxi drivers think they are losing a fare. Would you want your wife and kids involved in something like that?

Of course, the video could have been staged. These things don't really happen on Phuket, especially in the transport industry.

Probably just another Phuket myth. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

The op did not ask for any information regarding corruption, he was asking about a way to get from the airport to Chalong, start a new thread on corruption where you can complain as much as you want!!

I am sure if you bought a van or pickup and offered on this forum to pickup people from the airport you do not know

for fuel cost only there would be lots of freeloads who would take up your offer and you would have no time on your hands

The OP has already been told of a service which would only cost him 1300 baht and as they are flying their dogs here i am sure they can afford it

I for one would not go out of my way to pick someone up i did not know just because they post on a forum, could be jack the ripper

I am sure if you bought a van or pickup and offered on this forum to pickup people from the airport you do not know

for fuel cost only there would be lots of freeloads who would take up your offer and you would have no time on your hands

The OP has already been told of a service which would only cost him 1300 baht and as they are flying their dogs here i am sure they can afford it

I for one would not go out of my way to pick someone up i did not know just because they post on a forum, could be jack the ripper

Well, that's one of the points I'm making. The other is, rather than being "Jack th Ripper" he could be working illegally as a driver, like the guy in the video I posted, and you run the risk of the Thai drivers noticing him jut one too many times at the airport, and you could be caught up in something nasty.

I agree with you. For 1300 baht, with the wife and kids around - I would suggest to do this run legally.