To the Farang, I met in Tesco.

Costas2008

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I have noticed. In the gym there are Thais and farangs, 50% of each. Try saying hello, good morning or anything else to a farang and most times you are ignored. And yet many will go out of their way to catch the eye of a Thai and smile at them, and say a few words in the local language.

This also happens in shops, trains, planes. Maybe farangs are rude to each other but are trying to ingratiate themselves with the locals.

• Like 2

I think we all have the right to decide who we feel inclined to acknowledge or disregard.

There could be a myriad of reasons why the 'khong kaen kad' chose to blank you.

You clearly have a thin skin if this trivial little matter has irked you enough to start a thread.

I 've read many of your posts and you strike me has a self absorbed, pompous, right wing tosspot, however it now transpires you have an over inflated opinion of your 'likability'.

For myself, I avoid the vast majority of 'farangs' (I encounter in Thailand) like the proverbial plague.

I'm sure many of you are decent well meaning people, however my experience is the majority fall into one or more of the following categories

• <deleted>mongers
  • Racists ( incessant bleating about how their home country has been overrun by immigrants )
  • Witterers ( not a skerrick of interesting conversation in their bodies )
  • 'Show Offs' ( cant resist letting you know they are worth a few bob and how they made it )
  • Like 1

From OP:

"Yes, to you, Sir.

This morning at Tesco, Khon Kaen.

I said to you, Hello, and you, not only ignored me, but you turned your face the other way.

At the same time your Thai wife/gf, waied and smiled at me.

Just want to tell you, You are a Miserable git."

Well at least you got the wai and smile from his Thai wife.

That usually does not happen either.

Ok JL ... you got your I am famous I met John Lennon sermon out of the way lol
No -- I'm just getting started.

What I learned in NYC applies here: There are some people I encounter to whom I will give a nod or say hello or even exchange a few pleasantries ... and there are some guys when I see them I know to keep my head down and just keep walking.

they all look alike, but al dont speak english,

he may have thought OP was an old prison crony, and he didnt want to get outted

5555, ' an old prison crony', I bet the OP hadn't considered this angle-'Parkhurst, 84 or 85 wasn't it.'555

Personally I find it more natural to strike up conversations with strangers when you've got something in common, ie both have been waiting in the queue at Immigration for a long time, or it turns out you're both into farming or whatever.

In Issan these days farangs are 2 a penny, I had to wait in the passport office in Khon Kaen the other day and it struck me how many of the farangs were talking to their wives in their own language- Swedish, German, etc, presumably their wives had been living abroad for a while and had come back to renew their passport or get one for their kids.

Hurrying down a Bangkok street, I once witnessed a farang smile at an Indian. The farang said, "namasté". The Indian said, "g'day, mate".

I was confused and walked into a lamp post and said, "ouch!" with an Indian accent.

T

:cheesy:

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Im confused as to why the bon vivant bubble in the OP, sucked up the perceived sleight in the supermarket with n'ery a squeak of remonstration

yet

goes into keyboard warrior mode over every little comment here

• Like 2

i can empathize with the OP's feelings

i had a similar experience of being ignored (by a super hot latina girl in siam paragon) last week

some people are just so miserable

Go the Garrett Popcorn stall downstairs in Paragon. Queue there and get to chat to lots of super hot girls while waiting...

• Like 1

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

The guy was John Lennon with Yoko and a young Sean.

Imagine ...giving peace a chance

"Instant Karma's gonna get you.....gonna knock you off your feet"

Is this someone you know?

Or do you assume that simply because he is a foreigner, you have some sort of empathy or connection?

Exactly.

When I go to Tesco I walk past scores of people I don't know, and none of them feel compelled to strike up conversations with me--or I with them. Most of us are there to buy what we need and get out. We don't consider shopping at Tesco to be an opportunity for social interaction. It's a chore that needs to be completed.

Just because two people were born in countries other than Thailand doesn't require them to interact any more than anyone else.

• Like 2

<p>

I think we all have the right to decide who we feel inclined to acknowledge or disregard.

There could be a myriad of reasons why the 'khong kaen kad' chose to blank you.

You clearly have a thin skin if this trivial little matter has irked you enough to start a thread.

I 've read many of your posts and you strike me has a self absorbed, pompous, right wing tosspot, however it now transpires you have an over inflated opinion of your 'likability'.

For myself, I avoid the vast majority of 'farangs' (I encounter in Thailand) like the proverbial plague.

I'm sure many of you are decent well meaning people, however my experience is the majority fall into one or more of the following categories

• <deleted>mongers
  • Racists ( incessant bleating about how their home country has been overrun by immigrants )
  • Witterers ( not a skerrick of interesting conversation in their bodies )
  • 'Show Offs' ( cant resist letting you know they are worth a few bob and how they made it )

Let me guess your either from UK or New York City....self-centered SOB's from both

Bit of an over generilastion

i had a similar experience of being ignored (by a super hot latina girl in siam paragon) last week

Go the Garrett Popcorn stall downstairs in Paragon. Queue there and get to chat to lots of super hot girls while waiting...

are you sure they will chat back to me?

i'm not sure i can handle more rejection

Their are some people including me who don't care what you are saying and/or think, What do expect that every one has to acknowledge you where ever you go?

Are you better than us? It is a free choice to do or not to do ,Who is the GIT, (meaning stupid or worthless person) ?? bah.gif

@ Costas2008

Kalispera...

apparently you did not speak with this person ?

so how you could determine he's a git ?

git [countable] British English spoken not polite
an offensive word for an unpleasant and annoying person, especially a man:
Maybe this person was non english speaking or just busy with his mind somewhere ?
Publishing such profanity on an public forum as TVF is, is opening the door towards yourself for the return...
I always make the same remark to Thai people... why you think i understand english ? coz i speak german with my wife ? coz i speak german does not mean i am from germany or that i can't speak Thai.
Same goes for the guy who called me "malakka" i asked him very polite if his mama knew he was behaving as an "kolopedo" towards strangers...
So Costas " mi kanis ma-la-ki-es"

Their are some people including me who don't care what you are saying and/or think, What do expect that every one has to acknowledge you where ever you go?

Are you better than us? It is a free choice to do or not to do ,Who is the GIT, (meaning stupid or worthless person) ?? bah.gif

Git means a pregnant camel in Arabic, hence someone being called a git is or looks like a....................laugh.png

Git means a pregnant camel in Arabic, hence someone being called a git is or looks like a....................laugh.png

looks like a pregnant g***k with his boobs on the back ?....

are you sure they will chat back to me?

i'm not sure i can handle more rejection

I'm sure girls will talk to you. But one shouldn't let a rejection effect self-esteem; it can also be a blessing if a girl doesn't want anything from you, she'll probably not be an interesting person for you any way. If in doubt re-affirm to yourself what matters in your life and how it shows up in what you do. Try to relax...

I'm not a provincial hillbilly, so I don't say hello to every stranger I meet.

If a farang says hello to me, I assume he either:

1. wants to sell me something.

2. just wants money.

3. wants to whinge.

4. wants to brag and pontificate.

What a waste of my time. So I turn around and walk away.

• Like 1

One in tesco here tried to crack onto my missus.....

Two tried to crack onto her at the zoo the other day.....made her uncomfortable and she said hurry lets go.

Mind your own business you pervs.

Is that not "sore face" time?

I've been to at least 8 Tescos in Khon Kaen.

Did you wai the guy and his wife whilst saying 'hello'?

What did he look like?

I spoke to a guy at Khon Kaen immigration yesterday. I asked where he was from and he said he said Baan Pai and he'd lived there for 5 years - now that was funny.

As everybody seems to be so interested to know which Khon Kaen, Tesco I was, here you are:

New, Tesco Extra, 1.5 km from KKU on the left hand side of the main road going to Udon Thani.

The time was 10:49:15

I was in a "polite attire" with a big smile on my face.

As about the guy you met in immigration, sorry wasn't me, I only do visa runs every 3 months to Vientiene.

Anyway, you can't miss me, because of my strong Greek/English accent.

Happy everybody now?

There is another thread about farangs snubbing other farangs.

I guess the threat of not being unique is just too much. Somebody said it right..it takes away from the "Thai Experience".

They would not smile back or nod at you in New York either...if that helps.

We don't have the right to be grumpy ? Why should he greet you, because you have a white face perhaps. He doesn't want to know you,get over it maybe he thought you were gay.

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

He isn't smiling anymore...

To be honest, I was never a Lennon fan and found his politics obnoxious, but that comment was tacky.

You may have been in NYC but John Lennon was not a native New Yorker. Would not have upset me to post on a site if someone did not relpy , just figured they did not understand or chose not to reply,no big deal.

@ Costas2008

Kalispera...

apparently you did not speak with this person ?

so how you could determine he's a git ?

git [countable] British English spoken not polite
an offensive word for an unpleasant and annoying person, especially a man:
Maybe this person was non english speaking or just busy with his mind somewhere ?
Publishing such profanity on an public forum as TVF is, is opening the door towards yourself for the return...
I always make the same remark to Thai people... why you think i understand english ? coz i speak german with my wife ? coz i speak german does not mean i am from germany or that i can't speak Thai.
Same goes for the guy who called me "malakka" i asked him very polite if his mama knew he was behaving as an "kolopedo" towards strangers...
So Costas " mi kanis ma-la-ki-es"

Hey, Kovaltech, doesn't matter about the "malakies" you write on your post.

I'm impressed with your knowledge of the Greek language.

Where did you learn Greek?

Love to hear from you again.

I like this, I shall now call more people git's and think of camels wondering across the deserts, maybe a few pyramids in the background,

exotic music, yes I like this.

From reading all of costas' comments he sounds like a real uptight and arrogant man. I have lived in a few countries in asia. My experience being the same in all the countries is that the only race that generally does not like to greet strangers, and for the most part tries tonavoid them in public, is caucasians. Blacks tend to welcome eaxh other easily, asians tend to group together quickly. But whites try to avoid each other. For the most part as my experience. This is not 100% but it is surely a majority of the time. My friend and i were talking the other day about people who try to force other paople to talk to them. Our thinking was if u need so much for someone else to talk to u, more matter their own personality or the fact they dont know u, then u r way to aggressive and uptight and insecjre about urself. Just coz they dont talk to u does not mean they hate u orhave negative feelings towards u, but ifnu keep pushing them to talknand complain coz they dont talk, then they will hate u sure. These people say it is rude to not reply when spoken to, well maybe the other people dont want u to talk tonthem so dont intrude on their life. In a rude situationgenerally both parties can b viewed as being rude by different standpoints. Think about hownthe other person feelings about what u did or r doing before shoutjng off about them when u dont know them at all. He apparently want ur friend sonhe has no need to reply or acknowledge u

• Like 1