• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 54.

thats 38 years driving

been riding a motorcycle since 17, had two crashes, both my fault, one time I hit a turning car as I was passing, the other time lost control doing a burnout

I also drove trucks, taxi's and cars across the country,

the last accident I was in, I plowed into a van because I wasnt paying attention, each time my fault,

in all my years of driving, I have never seen anything as unsafe as omne day in Bangkok, where just crossing a small street is life risking

on top of that, you will bleed to death waiting for an ambulance, whereas in florida, it will be there in less than 5 min, day or night

Thailand driving?

no thanks

To me, your experience is Zero, you are right, don't drive in Thailand, one less Farang who don't know what the heck he is doing is one less I have to worry about !

I could drive in thailand, any day, day or night,

but there would be a trail of dead motor bike riders in my wake

I am 54.

thats 38 years driving

been riding a motorcycle since 17, had two crashes, both my fault, one time I hit a turning car as I was passing, the other time lost control doing a burnout

the last accident I was in, I plowed into a van because I wasnt paying attention, each time my fault,

in all my years of driving, I have never seen anything as unsafe as omne day in Bangkok, where just crossing a small street is life risking

on top of that, you will bleed to death waiting for an ambulance, whereas in florida, it will be there in less than 5 min, day or night

Thailand driving?

no thanks

Wow sounds like you're a real shit driver/rider, anyway, you choose to live in Florida, with your driving skills, I don't blame you, please stay away from Thailand. You're an obvious danger to the general population and you should never be in control of a motorized vehicle.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 2

I am 54.

thats 38 years driving

Thailand driving?

no thanks

Wow sounds like you're a real shit driver/rider, anyway, you choose to live in Florida, with your driving skills, I don't blame you, please stay away from Thailand.

having accidents is a numbers game,

surviving big one's, also, dumb luck,

learning to avoid them, especially the fatals ones, comes from experience

post-192707-0-84782100-1398446432_thumb.

post-192707-0-55018300-1398446437_thumb.

post-192707-0-79866600-1398446441_thumb.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thing is, most of you guys don't live in Thailand, I do.

nahny nahny nah nah....

sorry mate, I let that go what does it mean, nahny nahny nah nah..............honestly, I ain't got a clue.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thing is, most of you guys don't live in Thailand, I do.

nahny nahny nah nah....

sorry mate, I let that go what does it mean, nahny nahny nah nah..............honestly, I ain't got a clue.

I'll get my 9yo to explain...

119 deaths in Thailand per 100,000 vehicles per Wikipedia.

5 deaths in the UK per 100,000 vehicles per Wikipedia.

Enough said.

These figures mean nothing if you don't consider the type of vehicle.

100,000 vehicles in UK less than 2% motorbikes

100,000 vehicles in Thailand over 60% motorbikes

Of course people on motorbikes are more likely to be injured, even in relatively minor incidents, than with other types of transport.

It would be better to compare Thailand to Vietnam or Malaysia or Philippines but nobody ever does cuz they just want to Thai bash.

"the real"

'nuff said

~

Well done , Enough Said .

Although you have stopped the Thai bashing in it's tracks with simple statistics, the old men will always think they know best, Thai bad, Farang good.

It's pathetic !

I have spent 14 years on the road in Thailand on a motorcycle. Have seen countless accidents, and avoided a few myself with heads up riding. Most of the motorcycle accidents I have seen involved a car , hard to say who was at fault, since all you see is a stopped car partly dented, and a smashed rider laying on the pavement... How does that fit in with your statistics ??

Well, single vehicle crashes are far and away more prevalent than 2 vehicle ones. That doesn't include heavy trucking.

So your anecdotal observations don't support the facts.

~

This OP is dyer, 23 years driving and has to ask..... I'm lost? Perhaps you need to go home times up.

Sorry mate, in English please.

Read his posts

Yea! haz noder 1 run 2dy bout y pep bash thai pep. Imajin dat... Vitreeoolic wortless fesses skum! No giv fre thinglish lezzon to rasit but whipe pigs! annoyed.gif

What an inane OP. No one is suggesting all traffic fatalities in Thailand are as you describe or that fatalities don't happen in other countries but the statistics speak for themselves. Thailand has one of the worst records in the world for traffic fatalities and it makes sense to be aware of this if you don't want to be added to those statistics.

Inane ?

I have been living and driving here for over 23 years, and have driven and Biked hundreds of thousands of Kms, how about you ?

What I wanna know is this, why are the deaths in Thailand down to being stupid, and the over 1.2 Million deaths elsewhere down to accidents ?

Just remember, old men are <deleted> drivers anywhere in the world, that especially includes old Farangs who are too old to adapt to a different system in Thailand, they are a menace to society and should never get behind the wheel or sit astride a Bike again.

How many "old Farangs" are in the Thai road death statistics? About 90% of Thai drivers are stupid ( I don't like Thai bashing but the truth has to be told here) How many drive or ride on the wrong side of the road? How many hog the outside lanes on motorways? How many don't know they should give way to oncoming traffic when there is an obstruction on their side of the road? I could go on and on.

• Like 1

^ Allow me then .

Thailand is unsafe due to a selfish, greedy, mentality that has most drivers incapapable if thinking of other's safety before their own need to get somewhere 20 seconds earlier . Me first me first me first sums it up.

Rather absurd to compare stats of 200 + million to 60 million It's called apples and oranges.

So. I'm absurd, explain to me in simple terms.....................

If Thais are stupid when they have accidents, how about the rest of the world, are they having intelligent accidents ?

And the 1.4 Million DUI arrests in USA, is that intelligence, or stupidity, or just a bad luck percentage that are caught, you guys should really research more, the West is bad!!!!!

So Bad, you choose to live in Thailand.

RETARD, simple enough?

• Like 1

I am 54.

thats 38 years driving

Thailand driving?

no thanks

To me, your experience is Zero, you are right, don't drive in Thailand, one less Farang who don't know what the heck he is doing is one less I have to worry about !

Im surprised you can drive at all with that huge chip on your shoulders

• Like 1

If Thais are stupid when they have accidents, how about the rest of the world, are they having intelligent accidents ?

And the 1.4 Million DUI arrests in USA, is that intelligence, or stupidity, or just a bad luck percentage that are caught, you guys should really research more, the West is bad!!!!!

You are insulting and not really worth an answer, but here goes anyway.

The US has 5x the population of Thailand. It is 330 million. It is the third largest country in the world behind China and India.

You need to state your "facts" per capita.

In the US, if you are driving drunk you will be arrested and thrown in jail. No buying your way out with a few hundred baht. I see so many drunks including professional drivers in Thailand it boggles my mind.

It is the law that you be immediately incarcerated in the US if caught driving drunk, and your car is also impounded. So of course there are a lot of people jailed in the US for DUI.

Thailand has almost 4 times the number of highway deaths per capita as the US has. Link

Now, while at that link, click on the bold type at the top of the second column. It will change the sorting from alphabetical to numbers. Wikipedia says that Thailand has the 5th highest number of road deaths per capita in the world I have seen other such lists that say Thailand is number 3.

Thailand is FAR more dangerous for drivers than any Western country, and you could see that if you had brains.

^ Allow me then .

Thailand is unsafe due to a selfish, greedy, mentality that has most drivers incapapable if thinking of other's safety before their own need to get somewhere 20 seconds earlier . Me first me first me first sums it up.

Rather absurd to compare stats of 200 + million to 60 million It's called apples and oranges.

The fast driving is not the problem.....its the slow and insecure drivers that cause the biggest problems.

Correct, if fast driving is the problem then Germany should have very high accident rates

Germans don't drive fast - indeed, they are spectacular in their courtesy and respect for pedestrians and cyclists. I was there yesterday.

Germans drive sensibly, within their limits of their ability and the conditions around them, if my taxi drivers and the other motorists on the road are to be taken as typical of Germans.

To be fair to the Thais, a large part of the discrepancy in road accidents is due to the far higher proportion of motorcycles. If you were to measure fatalities per motorcycle, you would get a slightly different impression

SC

more traffic fatalities in Thailand, per capita,

any comparison to the US should be limited to one state, because Thailand is the same size as florida, give or take

per capita is a scaling factor so that differences in the size of the population are taken out.

• Like 1

119 deaths in Thailand per 100,000 vehicles per Wikipedia.

5 deaths in the UK per 100,000 vehicles per Wikipedia.

Enough said.

These figures mean nothing if you don't consider the type of vehicle.

100,000 vehicles in UK less than 2% motorbikes

100,000 vehicles in Thailand over 60% motorbikes

Of course people on motorbikes are more likely to be injured, even in relatively minor incidents, than with other types of transport.

It would be better to compare Thailand to Vietnam or Malaysia or Philippines but nobody ever does cuz they just want to Thai bash.

"the real"

'nuff said

~

So why didn't you compare Thailand to Vietnam or Philippines or Malaysia?

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2014/02/22/nations-with-deadliest-roads-malaysia-17th/

The first two figures below are fatalities per 100,000 inhabitamts, and per 100,000 motor vehicles:
Malaysia 25.0 36.5 (6745 2009 end[38]/[39])
Thailand 38.1 118.8*

(from Wikipedia, reformatted)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

...they are under policed and get away with all sorts of things

Thais don't get away with things. You can't bribe you're way out of "Splat"

We in the west get away with things - specifically, we get away with stupid ignorance. Our police force encourages us to wear safety belts and crash helmets even though we are too stupid to take heed of the risk assessments.

SC

^ Allow me then .

You seem to be on a racist rant.

In the west, or the US, which, incidentally, has given this country almost a billion dollars when the tsunami in a decade ago, has many more police officers on the street actively looking for drunk drivers.

That means, they pull up behind you if they suspect you of being drunk, and they are highly trained in making this analysis. They don't set up pointless check points where a taxi driver can drive you through for 200 baht.

The numbers will seem to indicate that the US is worse, but it's not. In the US the police don't take payoffs.

I can name names of people here who have paid off the police here so they can go free. These are Thai people.

Get off of your racist rant, crawl back under your rock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami

Most Farangs I know drink and Drive.

Yup.

I remember coming out of an Issan bar following the local police force on my scooter one night. I fell off I was so drunk (still get a click in my left shoulder) and the police officer driving the pick-up I was following was so drunk he fell out of the drivers door unto to the road beneath.

Then we decided it was safer to hold up in the next bar.

^ Allow me then .

The fast driving is not the problem.....its the slow and insecure drivers that cause the biggest problems.
Correct, if fast driving is the problem then Germany should have very high accident rates

Germans don't drive fast - indeed, they are spectacular in their courtesy and respect for pedestrians and cyclists. I was there yesterday.

Germans drive sensibly, within their limits of their ability and the conditions around them, if my taxi drivers and the other motorists on the road are to be taken as typical of Germans.

To be fair to the Thais, a large part of the discrepancy in road accidents is due to the far higher proportion of motorcycles. If you were to measure fatalities per motorcycle, you would get a slightly different impression

SC

My comment referred to the autobahn's where there speed is unrestricted (not all ) Fritz does drive very quickly if they can

I was driving during songkran, and I noticed that you simply could not make something more dangerous if you tried. You literally could not make it more dangerous if danger was your objective.

I have done my fair share of driving here, and here is what I think (I don't really understand the op's point about intelligence): the design of the roads is just abominable. You can have an area where cars are turning out into traffic all day, and the view of oncoming traffic is completely blocked, and nobody seems to think this is a problem! Also, I don't have stats in front of me or anything, but when you are driving out of Bangkok on highway 1, those U-turn designs implemented into the middle of highways are just the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. Again, you could not make it more dangerous if you tried. I suppose to circumvent this with overpasses would be too expensive, or someone does not care about how dangerous the roads are. Anyway, the design of the roads is just abominable.

Then we get to the drivers. You have these terribly designed roads, and then you have some of the worst drivers in the world on them. I actually think there are a lot of good drivers in Thailand. They know very well the parameters of their cars and in general a fairly skilled. But, there is that about 10 or 15% of them that are just so bad it is scary. Many times the bad driving will be related to the vehicle, and not the driver. People driving too slow is just a killer, there is no denying it. You have got an emergency lane used as a "motorbike lane", which, I am sorry, but I just find this almost comical. I had drivers coming at me during songkran passing on two lane highways, and they actually just expect you to get into the emergency lane so you can pass. Well, what about the motorbikes?! lol.

To sum up, I blame most of the bad driving on the government. I think Thais do a pretty darned good job with their vehicles in general. It is the roads, the lack of training and the complete lack of enforcement of the rules that is the problem. Those are all the government's fault, and it will never change of course.