Duke's still coming to Maya?

roger1999

I was at the Maya Mall yesterday and the large poster saying "Duke's" opening soon is now gone. There is now a large blank sheet covering the storefront that I hoped would become Duke's. Does anyone know if they have changed their plans about opening at Maya?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Airport Plaza any day of the week over Maya. The best thing about KSK is that you can be at the nice hardware store near IKON in 10 minutes. I will do a 9 thb cone at DQ, but am beginning to wonder if the no chocolate is a conspiracy, because it has been like that for a month or more.

Dave has made other plans.

He just yesterday opened an Italian restaurant and Deli in the Promenada. I am highly interested in seeing what the Deli is like. So far have seen nothing to compare with what I had back home. a 20 foot long display counter full of cheeses and sausages. I mean cheese blocks and whole sausages. nothing precut pick the one you wanted and they would slice of as much as you wanted plus they would make subs out of any thing you wanted.

I believe he has plans for one more restaurant and it is defiantly not in the Maya.

Edited by northernjohn

The movie theater at Maya is very, very nice and they're doing a good job of showing the English-language movies that come to Thailand. That theater at Airport plaza always gives me a headache -- the lobby is like a carnival -- noisy, crowded, reeking of rancid squid-flavored popcorn. The theater at Maya is much more upscale.

It's very pleasant to go see a movie at Maya. Now all we need is a nice place to have dinner before or after a show at Maya. Please, please Dave. There really is NO place to have dinner at Maya. Walk around look at the restaurant options. I'm not going to pluck raw fish from a conveyor belt or cook my own dinner over a steaming pot in the middle of the table. I go out to have someone else cook my dinner. So far, the only two options we've found where you can sit in a comfortable table and have something sort-of recognizable brought to you are the restaurant in the Rim Ping grocery store and the Black Canyon coffee. That's pretty pathetic, isn't it? Dave, we need you at Maya.

Edited by NancyL

The movie theater at Maya is very, very nice and they're doing a good job of showing the English-language movies that come to Thailand. That theater at Airport plaza always gives me a headache -- the lobby is like a carnival -- noisy, crowded, reeking of rancid squid-flavored popcorn. The theater at Maya is much more upscale.

It's very pleasant to go see a movie at Maya. Now all we need is a nice place to have dinner before or after a show at Maya. Please, please Dave. There really is NO place to have dinner at Maya. Walk around look at the restaurant options. I'm not going to pluck raw fish from a conveyor belt or cook my own dinner over a steaming pot in the middle of the table. I go out to have someone else cook my dinner. So far, the only two options we've found where you can sit in a comfortable table and have something sort-of recognizable brought to you are the restaurant in the Rim Ping grocery store and the Black Canyon coffee. That's pretty pathetic, isn't it? Dave, we need you at Maya.

Maybe if they gave a discount equivalent to the wage the cook would receive when cooking one's own dinner tongue.png . Couldn't agree more that I'd rather have someone else prepare my meal when dining out but I see the attraction for those who enjoy it.

I have been to Dukes several times and never been much impressed with the food or the high prices. Mr.Chan and Paulines on Canal Rd. beat it hands down in both categories. But to each his own.

i love it when jealous competitors who seldom ever post come and make outlandish comments like that.rolleyes.gif i mean, come on... the family are good people and they have a number of places in town but the food......basically for the Thai audience.

Try the cafe in 'Camp' on the top floor - my favourite place in Maya - really quiet even when it's full ;)

Will do. Didn't know they served food in 'Camp'. Figured it was just a place to hang out, glued to your "device". Always looks pretty busy. Hope people are allowed to have conversations with their fellow diners in there. Hubby and I only have one Smart Phone between the two of us -- guess we'll just have to pass it back-and-forth across the table!

Edited by NancyL

You know, Dave2, I'm looking at that menu and thinking -- this is a serious contender, given what's on offer for food at the Black Canyon coffee and Rim Ping supermarket restaurant. There's a little more variety, at least. Various fried rice AND noodle dishes. What a concept.

Dave, come on, can't you feel our pain? Is this what we're suppose to enjoy for a nice evening out -- dinner and a movie? Maya Mall definitely has the movie part of the equation figured out. Now if they'd just get the dinner part right.

After all, isn't Maya Mall suppose to be in the trendy, growing, what's-happening-now section of Chiang Mai? Dave, how can you afford not to be on that side of town?

re

Didn't know they served food in 'Camp'

they do smile.png .. snacks !

dave2

Don't want to get in the middle of a good ole' fashioned CM food fight!!! tongue.png

But, that menu assortment is pretty UN-inspiring. The food may be perfectly fine (or not).

But it's not like I'm going to go rushing out the door for an evening dinner out of pedestrian Thai dishes and equally pedestrian farang snacks.

Geez! With all the great restaurants within a five minute walk of Maya, I can't see why this is an issue.

there is nothing of interest within a 5 minute walk of Maya. 15-20 maybe...in the heat??? it would take about 10 minutes just to cross the intersection and be over on the Nimmanhaeman side.

I visited the Maya mall once and wasn`t very impressed with it at all.

The whole place is like a shopping mall after thought. Nothing in there that you can`t get bigger and better elsewhere.

I don`t blame the Dukes for not opening in there, as that mall will never really take off, just somewhere to go for those who live close by. If you have not visited the Maya shopping mall yet, you haven`t missed anything.

There are no good restaurants on Nimmanhaeman Soi 1, 2, 3? I guess it depends on what your're looking for. For me it's usually an evening meal when it's cooler to be out and about. As for the Maya, you can get a nice pair of Birkenstocks for about 3500 baht.clap2.gif

i'm beginning to think that the Maya will fail and that the Promenade will perhaps make it thanks to the Dukes and their businesses. although i could see one of the buildings being used for something else or sold outright as the cost of electricity alone has to be a killer.

Where I'm from restaurants liked the other restaurants as we knew people didn't want to eat at the same place all the time and we joined forces and made dining streets. We helped each other, shared staff and parking areas and lent a case of lettuce at 6 pm on a Friday night if needed. Also competing with oneself is self defeating.

I have been to Dukes several times and never been much impressed with the food or the high prices. Mr.Chan and Paulines on Canal Rd. beat it hands down in both categories. But to each his own.

i love it when jealous competitors who seldom ever post come and make outlandish comments like that.rolleyes.gif i mean, come on... the family are good people and they have a number of places in town but the food......basically for the Thai audience.

Jealous? Your joking. I don't care how nice a guy Duke is . I think his food is ordinary. So What? Some people like MaCDonalds. I don't own anything but I I have been around the traps in my time and I know value when I see it. I truly hope his other venues are better as I am sure he his doing his best. Like I said . To each his own. I for one will not go there again.Isn't nice to have so many choices available in Chiangmai ?

Been meaning to get over there and try out a movie. Sounds to me like the place is still dead no people there to make noise.

The movie schedule on the internet sucks. It is the same company as the Promenada yet they make it a project to find out what is playing. Most of them you can see at the airport or central also the Promenada. The selection here in Chiang Mai is pretty slim for the number of theaters they have.

Dave has a Dukes at the Promenada plus an Italian one and the movies are the same. If you want to go to the Maya well I looked around and settled for Jeffers. The best of a bad lot.

I haven't had any problems finding the Maya movie schedule on the internet. Most of the time, I can purchase tickets on-line OK, too, although that function didn't work this weekend. No big problem, there was no one ahead of us at the ticket purchase line. But, you're right -- they are showing the same films at Maya as at the other malls. It's just we can walk to this one. Sure, there are shuttles to the other malls, but who wants to sit in the back of a pick-up truck for 45 minutes in this heat, even if it is a free ride?

http://www.sfcinemacity.com/index.php/en/timetable/lookup/cinema/MAYA-Lifestyle-Shoping-Center

Edited by NancyL

I haven't had any problems finding the Maya movie schedule on the internet. Most of the time, I can purchase tickets on-line OK, too, although that function didn't work this weekend. No big problem, there was no one ahead of us at the ticket purchase line. But, you're right -- they are showing the same films at Maya as at the other malls. It's just we can walk to this one. Sure, there are shuttles to the other malls, but who wants to sit in the back of a pick-up truck for 45 minutes in this heat, even if it is a free ride?

http://www.sfcinemacity.com/index.php/en/timetable/lookup/cinema/MAYA-Lifestyle-Shoping-Center

The answer is the people who want to see a movie and eat at Dukes. LOL

Yes I get the schedule on line most of the time but it is hard to plan for tomorrow. First I have to find the location then pick the movie I want to see and it only shows the remaining times for that day. I miss what we had in the states you got a movie schedule that was good all week.

One other thing Nancy not suggesting any thing but at the Movie Cineplex for people my age if you get a ticket there you can get a big discount if you show your passport or a copy of it. Not sure if that works for holders of thai driver licenses. Can't get that on line.

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for some "Western lifestyle" restaurant choices....Dukes, Sizzler, New York Pizza, Riverside at the Maya, Irish Exchange, Au Bon Pain....maybe even a Thai restaurant that uses white meat chicken in their chicken curry, like Whole Earth. With all the Western Expats living within 2 km of The Maya,....go figure!