Duke's still coming to Maya?

roger1999

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great taking the kids to Maya tomorrow, burgers for them and fine Japanese cuisine for me

hope you won't be disappointed.

Thanks it's quite an amusing story, I asked my Thai son where he wanted to go for his 11th Birthday Father/son outing and he said Maya. I said sure what do you want to do there, his response was "I want to go to see the toilets" TIT!!

The toilets weren't disappointing but the meal was one of the most toilet worthy experiences I've had here. Service was absolute crap! Food sh#@!

Be sure to tell NancyL who should really start posting some ratings, as with stars on Chiang Mai toilet facilities from "Where can I go if I am desperate?" to more prosaic mall options.. She is really a self-professed (and generally recognized expert on Chiang Mai TV) expert on area toilets. This is not meant to be insulting! This is really an area of expertise, especially valuable to women, in particular, in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some of us have figured out how to use the toilets at Maya mall to great advantage. I rather like them.

And yes, Mapguy, others have noticed how I maintain a great mental catalog of fine public toilet facilities. It's been suggested I should develop a map, similar to the Nancy Chandler map, of the great public toilets of Chiang Mai. Maybe it will be the "Nancy L map"

Well, some of us have figured out how to use the toilets at Maya mall to great advantage. I rather like them.

And yes, Mapguy, others have noticed how I maintain a great mental catalog of fine public toilet facilities. It's been suggested I should develop a map, similar to the Nancy Chandler map, of the great public toilets of Chiang Mai. Maybe it will be the "Nancy L map"

Use a pen name, maybe Nancy P?

It's probably a map that many would be grateful of, especially if they are new here.

Rimpings Aji Restaurant just fell thru to basement level in the food ratings :( Went for a second try and the food was reheated pre-cooked and or stale.

They got off to a good start but ....

Might do back to Maya for a dump after NancyP's rap, otherwise Promenada and the Dukes gets my business.

Rimpings Aji Restaurant just fell thru to basement level in the food ratings sad.png Went for a second try and the food was reheated pre-cooked and or stale.

They got off to a good start but ....

Might do back to Maya for a dump after NancyP's rap, otherwise Promenada and the Dukes gets my business.

thanks for the warning. it's been about 3 weeks since i was there. yes they did get off to a good start. went 3-4 times and it was good. oh well.....

• 1 year later...

The Duke's at Maya - tomorrow (30th July) grand opening. Level 4.

Really? On a no-alcohol Buddhist holiday at the start of Buddhist Lent, when many will be abstaining from meat?

I realize there are enough non-Buddhist carnivores to fill the place up, but many might choose to wait until they can have a drink with their meal.

happened to pass by today and saw them putting the finishing touches on the place. very impressive, people wiping down EVERY centimeter of the place with disinfectant, cleaning glass like i've never seen in T'land, and polishing all the woodwork with imported oils. 1st-class operation as Dukes is known for.

We should probably open a new topic -- Duke's Now Open at Maya Mall!

Yes, it's definite. Open today, July 30. Sure it's a no alcohol day, but who needs that when you can have pizza, ribs and lasagna? It's a great way for Duke's to have a "soft" opening.

I was there yesterday, Wednesday, July 29 as they cleaned and polished everything and checked out all the equipment. They had a little party for the staff and others who helped to make the restaurant a reality in the evening (just to check out the equipment, mind you) everything worked well and many mall customers stopped by to inquire when they'd be open.

It's a beautiful space, much like the the Duke's at Promenada, but with a view of bustling Huey Kaew Rd.

Time for a movie and dinner at Maya Mall. Check it out -- just perfect for a long holiday weekend.

I understand that the Duke's owners/investors are stretched a bit thin at the moment.

Best support them by taking all family and friends for a big buddha day lunch then, eh?

You'd be stretched a bit thin also if you'd just completed an extensive new restaurant fitout.

I think the term I'd use to describe the owners, investors and staff of Duke's right now is tired but happy! They have a beautiful restaurant. It was a small party last night, not a big Grand Opening. Just something to reward everyone for working so hard and to test out the equipment. They were turning away potential customers in droves, so it looks like it's going to be a popular place -- right by the escalator coming down from the cinema.

post-68373-0-43938900-1438228192_thumb.j

More photos on CityNow! http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/dukes-at-maya-pre-opening-night/

I was told earlier this year by another restauranteur at Maya that their lease and others in the Mall prohibited the sale of alcohol and that sales were restricted to the bars on the roof, although on what grounds I'm not sure. If true, I imagine that Dave has negotiated his way around this - anyone seen a menu yet?

I was told earlier this year by another restauranteur at Maya that their lease and others in the Mall prohibited the sale of alcohol and that sales were restricted to the bars on the roof, although on what grounds I'm not sure. If true, I imagine that Dave has negotiated his way around this - anyone seen a menu yet?

That's silly. Duke's certainly will be selling alcohol, although not on Buddhist holidays like today.

Here's the bar area of the new Duke's at Maya Mall from the CityNow website photos:

post-68373-0-71374200-1438241021_thumb.j

The Aji Restaurant that's part of the Rim Ping in the basement does a brisk business in alcohol with meals with their 80 baht glass of house wine and small beer at something like 40 or 50 baht. Just had wine and beer with dinner there less than a week ago. And I'm pretty sure we've ordered beer with our meals the time or two Hubby and I have dined at Black Canyon Coffee at Maya

Edited by NancyL

Again form CityNow. I distaste bar rumors.

DSC021541-1354x900.jpg

Enjoyed a very nice dinner this evening. Girlfriend and I split a "small" pepperoni pizza. It was more than enough for the two of us. A table next to us had some questions about their meal and a very nice manager speaking fluent English came over and thanked them for pointing something out and immediately took it back to the kitchen. Impressive service. Since it was a Buddha day we just had water.

Bill came to 208 baht.

Dined at The Duke's today in Maya. Small mushroom and sausage pizza was excellent. Ate half and took the other half home so now I've got lunch already planned for tomorrow. Also ordered a dinner salad with bleu cheese dressing which was nice and chunky. Service was superb with lots of smiling faces and servers coming by often to fill my water glass which I like since I can chug 3-4 glasses of water per meal. They have Thai assistant manager named Jack who came over while I waited for my pizza and salad and made small talk with me. A very personable young fellow with a positive attitude and a good command of English language, and a sense of humor to boot. Hats off to the staff and the chefs. Handsome looking restaurant inside, too. I will be returning for sure.