Duke's still coming to Maya?

roger1999

It seems to me that the majority of people that sing the praises of Dukes are Americans, personally I've been there twice, first time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because of all the reviews I'd read, second time confirmed that the food is over-rated, over-priced.

Sure beats bangers and mash and your ham that you call baccon.tongue.png

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the majority of people that sing the praises of Dukes are Americans, personally I've been there twice, first time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because of all the reviews I'd read, second time confirmed that the food is over-rated, over-priced.

Sure beats bangers and mash and your ham that you call baccon.tongue.png

Yeah, I was going to mention the great "deal" that is the Sunday Roast, found at every faux pub that fleeces homesick Brits.

From the Telegraph a BRITISH newspaper. Top 50 restaurants in the world for 2014. USA has 7 the UK only 2.

The top 50 restaurants

1. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark

2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain

3. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy

4. Eleven Madison Park, New York, USA

5. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK

6. Mugaritz, San Sebastián, Spain

7. D.O.M, Sao Paulo, Brazil

8. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain

9. Alinea, Chicago, USA

10. The Ledbury, London, UK

11. Mirazur, Menton, France

12. Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany

13. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand

14. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan

15. Central, Lima, Peru

16. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria

17. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand

18. Astrid y Gastón, Lima, Peru

19. Fäviken Järpen, Sweden

20. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico

21. Le Bernardin, New York, USA

22. Vila Joya, Albufeira, Portugal

23. Restaurant Frantzén, Stockholm, Sweden

24. Amber, Hong Kong, China

25. L’Arpège, Paris, France

26. Azuermendi, Larrabetzu, Spain

27. Le Chateaubriand, Paris, France

28. Aqua, Wolfsburg, Germany

29. De Libreije, Zwolle, Netherlands

30. Per Se, New York, USA

31. L’Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon, Paris, France

32. Attica, Melbourne, Australia

33. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan

34. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain

35. Martin Beragategui, San Sebastian, Spain

36. Mani, Sao Paolo, Brazil

37. Restaurant Andrew, Singapore

38. L’Astrance, Paris, France

39. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy

40. Daniel, New York, USA

41. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain

42. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark

43. Schloss Schauenstein, Furstenau, Switzerland

44. The French Laundry, Yountville, USA

45. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium

46. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy

47. The Fat Duck, Bray, UK

48. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town, South Africa

49. Coi, San Francisco, USA

50. Waku Ghin, Singapore

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/10793325/Worlds-Best-Restaurants-2014-the-top-50-in-full.html

Thats not what you said in your original quote You said. " think you would have to long and hard to find a US$5 lunch in the U.S. anymore. Dukes prices are reasonable for what they offer. " Trying to move the goal post hey.facepalm.gifNo body in there right mind expects Dave to have a 5 dollar lunch but by your on post you insist that a 5 dollar lunch was not to be found in the US and you have been proven wrong.tongue.png

Huh, lol. Are you the restaurant police? Wow, I have "been proven wrong." Good for you.

On a happier note, I had lunch today at Dukes in the Maya Mall. Lunch was excellent and there were a lot of people there. Dave's restaurants seems to be popular with the Thai's too.

One thing about Dave, he knows the restaurant business better than anyone else in CM, and has good food at reasonable prices along with excellent service. Thanks Dave for opening up at Maya.

I think you are right that the Americans are the ones who appreciate Dukes the most. Apparently, Dukes is popular with the Thai's too. I assume you are from the UK. Dukes doesn't serve Marmite, haggis, or black or blood pudding, so eating at Dukes probably isn't as appealing to the Brits as it is to the Americans. The first and last time I ate Marmite, it almost made me vomit but good for you guys if this is what you enjoy eating.

Go into any branch of The Dukes on any day and count nationalities, eight years ago it would have been Americans 60%, other westerners 30%, locals 10%.

Today it's more like 30%, 15% and 55% respectively (or there abouts) - there's a message in there somewhere!

Perhaps Dave would care to refine the numbers, just out of interest.

From the Telegraph a BRITISH newspaper. Top 50 restaurants in the world for 2014. USA has 7 the UK only 2.

The top 50 restaurants

9. Alinea, Chicago, USA

15. Central, Lima, Peru

50. Waku Ghin, Singapore

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/10793325/Worlds-Best-Restaurants-2014-the-top-50-in-full.html

Top 50 Universities in the world, by a UK organization: US 28, UK 7

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/world-ranking#/sort/0/direction/asc

Edited by bangmai

The top 50 restaurants

9. Alinea, Chicago, USA

15. Central, Lima, Peru

50. Waku Ghin, Singapore

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/world-ranking#/sort/0/direction/asc

Probably difficult for you to comprehend but compare the size of the UK and USA.

I think you are right that the Americans are the ones who appreciate Dukes the most. Apparently, Dukes is popular with the Thai's too. I assume you are from the UK. Dukes doesn't serve Marmite, haggis, or black or blood pudding, so eating at Dukes probably isn't as appealing to the Brits as it is to the Americans. The first and last time I ate Marmite, it almost made me vomit but good for you guys if this is what you enjoy eating.

Wow, there's no flies on you!!

Many fine restaurants in the list but one thing about the likes of celebrity Chefs like Robuchon and Gagnaire who in their greed, pimp their brand around the world opening dozens of restaurants. There is no way their honest standards of excellence can be maintained this way and quality suffers. I don't want to name and shame but let's say my last experience in Asia at one of these establishments sucked. It was like sitting in an art gallery for three hours being served visually attractive morsels on smart plates. Completely tasteless and half warmed in a microwave.

The desserts and beverages were just fine.

Edited by arunsakda

The top 50 restaurants

9. Alinea, Chicago, USA

15. Central, Lima, Peru

50. Waku Ghin, Singapore

Probably difficult for you to comprehend but compare the size of the UK and USA.

Was not difficult for a British Rag to comprehend.laugh.png

I doubt if the popularity of the Duke's has much to do with nationality. The owner is one of the few professional, foreign restaurateurs in Thailand. The food is simply better than most other places.

When I first came to Thailand, there was a great British restaurant in a big car garage near Patpong soi 2. The place was great and most of the customers were American.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I always thought Number1 was the Chiangmai version of Hooters'. A professional establishment with bargirls, but not at all sleazy. Quite decent enough to bring children along. I had not been in about three years but I recently had a friend in town first time in Thailand. Surprised to see they apparently hire ladyboys now, like just about every other place on LK road.

Edited by arunsakda

Many fine restaurants in the list but one thing about the likes of celebrity Chefs like Robuchon and Gagnaire who in their greed, pimp their brand around the world opening dozens of restaurants. There is no way their honest standards of excellence can be maintained this way and quality suffers. I don't want to name and shame but let's say my last experience in Asia at one of these establishments sucked. It was like sitting in an art gallery for three hours being served visually attractive morsels on smart plates. Completely tasteless and half warmed in a microwave.

The desserts and beverages were just fine.

Excellent point. Just about everyone I know, who has been to Wolfgang Puck's in Las Vegas came away very disappointed, and about 300 USD poorer. Meanwhile, everyone, who did the 7.99 steak special at New York New York said it was great.

I also read a lot of the statements about the "Sunday Roasts," and after seeing the photos I am thinking they call it that because you would have to be baked or "roasted" on some KGB to actually think it was good.

I'll give Dave the title of Best American Restaurant in Northern Thailand. I'm not a regular, as that is what I eat a lot of, when I am in the US, and my property in Arizona was a part of a massive cattle ranch. It doesn't get me real excited at restaurant prices. If I was on a company expense account, or someone else's, we would probably go at least once a day.

Any nominations for the best British Restaurant in The North?

Now that you mention Las Vegas I WILL name and shame. Last year we dined at Daniel Bouluds' DB bistro Moderne at the Venetian Hotel. We had a booking so got a nice table, in an absolutely empty restaurant. I wanted the famous 150 dollar burger but it is only available during truffle season so we had to order other item. Complete waste of time food served by attractive looking young people. I had a some appetizer plate. You could tell it had been sitting in a refrigerator for hours and the juices leaked out in a way that was very unattractive. Even an idiot cook would have wiped the scum away before service.

It was of course extremely expensive anyway.

Edited by arunsakda

No files???

The top 50 restaurants

9. Alinea, Chicago, USA

15. Central, Lima, Peru

50. Waku Ghin, Singapore

It never mattered in the 200 times posters here have mentioned that only 10% of US Citizens have passports...but yeah, land wise, US is 65 times bigger than England.

It never mattered in the 200 times posters here have mentioned that only 10% of US Citizens have passports...but yeah, land wise, US is 65 times bigger than England.

That 10% mentioned is very old. As of 2013 its estimated that it is 33% now have a passport. http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2012/01/30/record-number-of-americans-now-hold-passports/ Not bad for country of 318.9 million as of 2014.

No files???

No, it says 'flies'. I wondered too about that. Assume something to do with the aroma of Marmite and its attraction for flies, ala, fresh manure.

But your guess as good as mine.

At least you two are consistent and confirms my quote which was made sarcastically. I rest my case.