i become a daddy!

Crazy chef 1

I was told by experts with PhDs in Bilingual Language Acquisition that I speak to my kids ALWAYS in English and my wife speak to them ALWAYS in Thai.

Years later, I have stuck to English but my wife does speak English sometimes like at dinner when it is English only. As it happens they speak Chinese as well by going to classes at the weekends.

Ignore the idiots who talk about your wife's sexual wants. Never happened with mine. ANyways, Im sure your child will be more important than your own selfish needs.

Congrats.

• Like 1

congratulations, just enjoy the pleasure it will bring you to have a beautiful baby to raise

He didnt even know if baby is HIS. Buddha please help this child.

Sorry i thought op lady was from Pink Pussy bar...................................lol.

Anyways, i doubt you need to worry about a tri-lingual baby. Everyone except you is THAI! get it?

Edited by choochoo

"How to rise a child?"

Personally I'd let the wife take care of it. They are after all women and have rised kids for a very very long time, and they are good at it.

Its been shown kids raised wo heavy father influence end up in jail or worse.

Congratulations. My children are the light and centre of my life (along with my Chihuahuas).

Make sure your wife is getting all the nutrition she needs. Make sure she is getting a lot of protein but avoid milk and fish. Do not let her eat soy or soy products. The idea is to insure the fetus has as much exposure to testosterone as possible.

Choose your hospital wisely and the doctor with even more caution.

We made our home as baby safe as we possibly could; no sharp corners, took out the bed and slept on a mattress on the floor so there was no risk of the baby falling. Be careful when the child learns to walk but still crawls most of the time as he/she will crawl under a table and then stand up hitting his/her head.

Start hiring nannies now because you might need to go through many before finding a good one.

In our home we spoke Thai, Mandarin, French and English, My kids had no difficulty learning all of them and even as young toddlers knew the difference between the French bebe and the English baby.

You will need to find a good pediatrician. The best we found were at Samitivej and Thai Nakaren.

Get ready to go a long time without much sleep and accept that you will have to forget yourself and focus all your energies on the child for several years to come.

Don't neglect your wife.

I don't want to sound as it I'm preaching but I would be happy if you could avoid the mistakes I made. You will make mistakes too but as long as you are doing your best learn to forgive yourself.

• Like 1

Congratulations !!! I have a three old daughter here.

1. Get a passport as soon as you can from your home country. If you are run over by

a bus before you do that, your child cannot get one.

2. Be sure your internet connection works well, as you will have a lot of questions.

3. Keep the child rearing advice from the village relatives to a bare bones minimum.

They believe a lot of really strange stuff......

4. Be patient.

5. Speak your native language to your child, and your wife should speak clear Thai. ( no tinglish)

At the age of two or three, they easily sort it out. My daughter will ask me something

in English, then turn to her mother and ask in Thai.

6. Thai children are taught from an early age to be terrified of ghosts, which seem to be a

critical part of Thai culture. When fears are started early, it is not easy to make them go away.

So I have an iron clad rule, that the word ghost is NEVER EVER to be mentioned.....

There is a lot of good advice on the Family and Children forum here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/96-family-and-children/

you are quiet right with the strange/quirky beliefs.her mum gave the best advise to sleep after giving birth beside a char coal fire WITH the baby for about a week.sorry MIL that ain't gonna happen- we are living 2014/2558... i already found a great doc who will take care now i just have to convince the family that i will be a caring father and will not act Thai style( MIL's biggest concern). there are quiet a few things which will be not easy but i am looking forward to it.

dam'n i am happy.

congratulations, just enjoy the pleasure it will bring you to have a beautiful baby to raise

He didnt even know if baby is HIS. Buddha please help this child.

Sorry i thought op lady was from Pink Pussy bar...................................lol.

Anyways, i doubt you need to worry about a tri-lingual baby. Everyone except you is THAI! get it?

reading,riding and understanding skills need to be improved my friend...

Congratulations! I think you will find that your Thai-wife will be an amazing mother (most are). Besides that, just enjoy the experience and responsibility. Speak your own language to your kid all the time, english with your girlfriend and she Thai. Sounds confusing, but in reality quite easy and the kid will only benefit from it :-)

Good luck with everything!

Crazy chef 1 said

"my wife is not Noy from the pink pussy bar"

I should hope not, seeing as Noi (with an 'i' btw) has promised to marry me as soon as Mrs T kicks it. This is the only reason I eat right and exercise - so's I can outlive Mrs T and marry the second love of my life without cheating on the first.

Congratulations on the kid. Your life will not be the same.

Catch the latest Freaknomics podcast. Here's a synopsis:

Parenting

On average, having kids makes you less happy than not having kids. But it is parents who make *themselves* unhappy by stressing out about anything and everything.

Parental makeover step one:

Get rid of the stuff nobody likes and is stressing everyone out. If the kids don't want music lessons, get rid of music lessons.

Be after a different kind of parenting prize. It's not achievement you should be after. It's warmth. Be kind to your kids.

Obsessive parenting is over rated. It makes the parent less happy and it turns out that the best parent is a happy parent. So stop obsessing. The thing that matters most is love. If they feel unloved, they won't turn out well.

Bruce Sacerdote, whose research on adoption is featured prominently in the show, talks about some of the areas where nurture beats out nature:

You see that children are picking up their parents smoking and drinking habits with a very high degree of correlation, and its the same with the adoptees and the non-adoptees, they really pick up their parents habits, those type of habits explicitly. Another thing thats undoubtedly contagious is that behavior of how you interact, how you treat other people, how you treat employees at a restaurant, or a retail store or something. I think those things are probably highly contagious as well.

Bryan Caplan on the startlingly slim effect that parents seem to have on their childrens lifetime income:

the very best studies of the nature and nurture of income find that parents do have a moderate effect on your early income when youre in your twenties, but basically zero for the rest of your life.

Bryan Caplan (the blogger and author of Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Parenting is More Fun and Less Work Than You Think.

If you are like me, you will: learn a lot; gnash your teeth a lot; and laugh a lot.

Lots of luck and cheers

T

• Like 1

1. Get a passport as soon as you can from your home country. If you are run over by

2. Be sure your internet connection works well, as you will have a lot of questions.

3. Keep the child rearing advice from the village relatives to a bare bones minimum.

4. Be patient.

5. Speak your native language to your child, and your wife should speak clear Thai. ( no tinglish)

At the age of two or three, they easily sort it out. My daughter will ask me something

6. Thai children are taught from an early age to be terrified of ghosts, which seem to be a

critical part of Thai culture. When fears are started early, it is not easy to make them go away.

So I have an iron clad rule, that the word ghost is NEVER EVER to be mentioned.....

If he never hear he word 'ghost' , he might be even more scared. I talked about ghosts to my kids from an early age, telling them that there's nothing to be afraid of. I believe in( and have seen) ghosts and actually took them to Crathes castle in Scotland to see one.

4. Be patient.

If he never hear he word 'ghost' , he might be even more scared. I talked about ghosts to my kids from an early age, telling them that there's nothing to be afraid of. I believe in( and have seen) ghosts and actually took them to Crathes castle in Scotland to see one.

Well be sure to tell the Thai people in your life there is nothing to be afraid of, since they seem to be truly terrified of them. Because..........this fear was created at a young age so it would be believed. .

Take your child, never use the word ghost, and when they are 16 tell them all about ghosts.

They would most likely drop to ground in a fit of laughter.... :-) I left my Thai girlfriend alone for a long time while I was on a motorcycle trip. When I came back, most of the ceiling lights were burned out. When I politely asked why, she said when alone she would leave on the lights at night because she was afraid of ghosts coming. Anyway I feel it is great cruelty to tell a child an ongoing lie, and will diminish whatever else you say. And as soon as I see a ghost, I will be sure to change my position. In the meantime, I will stick with facts when I teach my daughter about the world.....

Congratulations!

My only word of advice would be that the sooner you understand you have little or nothing to say about it the happier you'll be.

Pick your fights VERY carefully!

Not in all cases, depends if the man has a set or not.

Edited by Banshee
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Congratulations!

Advice is get as much sleep as you can now.

Second thing is there is no real advice to be given. You just work it out as you go.

Ahh, one more thing, just go with the flow. It makes it all much easier on yourself.(you'll get what I mean at a later date)

Junior is already here-now the real job has startedw00t.gif

Well done that man!

Your life will never be the same... and I hope you did get a lot of sleep these past 9 months.

There's very little 'me' time any more but all things being equal, you should be pretty much free of encumbrances in about 24 years or so... unless he gets conscripted first of course.

Congratulations..... But I suspect your wife and MIL have already got full plans on bringing up your child, and no matter how good the advice you get here, it'll be of little use. If you want more influence, you'll need to move back to your country.

Children, are, without doubt, the best thing that'll ever happen to you.