5 year old son locked in house with dead British Father in East Pattaya

webfact

I am so sorry to hear about the little boy and his deceased dad.

Please correct me if I am wrong. In our HS English class, we were taught that

the UK include England, Scotland and Wales countries not including Ireland.

The British is a person who was born in the Great Britain: England

We had a Japanese English teacher, so he may have had misinformed

knowledge about the above. My apologies to all.

You are indeed misinformed the British are divided up into Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, English and Cornish (just been given Minority status). There are 4 countries of The United Kingdom.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob is my brother and Luke my nephew. The whole situation makes me feel sick to my core, and I can't even begin to comprehend how some of you think its in any way appropriate to have a debate about racism on the back of a report of his death and the tragic circumstances surrounding it.

My family are grieving. It's difficult enough dealing with news reports and journalists without scummy speculation on top.

But just to clear it up for you all, Rob is from England. Luke has dual nationality but was born in Thailand. And our family is of Danish decent. The comments on Luke's mother are nothing more than fantasy, and this is a woman who is not only grieving, but trying to console her son.

But hey, what do our feelings matter, so long as you all get to gossip about it??

It is a tragic set of circumstances, and I think the majority of people here on TV agree with your statemnt. The whole topi has been hijacked by some spurious racism claim.

Deepest sympathy to your family in this difficult time.

If there is any 'racism' here i think it is the assumption that the child would be 'better off' with his Western family.

There can be quite horrendous British familes and some very responsible and caring Thai families

Unless there is a very compelling reason why the child should not live with it's birth mother then that is where he should be

At this moment in time everything we say is pure speculation including this final comment of mine that the deceased's name sounds much more Scandinavian than British

• Like 1

Now that the deceased's brother has posted, there seem slittle else to speculate on.

The mods may feel it appropriate to close the thread.

and they may not share your opinion. if a story is news - wether on a forum or a newspaper - it is not closed because of someones personal opinion of what is appropriate or not. and i think the mods are quite capable of making such decisions.

anyhow what a terrible situation for all involved. my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

A sad and tragic story...Rest In Peace mate, hope your son will get over it and the right people take care.

More than seven days and nobody missed him shows much about our society.

Indeed a sad and tragic story plus no doubt terrifying

for the child. Don't know if it says much about our sosiety

but, certainly does lean towards the father not being very

socially inclined.

Terrible story, the poor little boy. I guess he and his father lived a quite life and pretty much kept to themselves. I hope English relatives come forward and offer the little guy a real chance in life.

Must have missed it somewhere! Where did it say the father was English? Racism is a funny thing: it's much closer to home than you think!

The original article does describe him as "British". That's close enough, isn't it?

No, not really. Go to Glasgow and call a local English and see what happens. Or you could try going to Dublin and call an Irishman English and the same consequences will arrise.

Or go to France and call a Frenchman English, or go to Germany,,,,, etc, etc,,, silly argument. The point is that it is a common mistake that people think British means English. of course nothing was meant by it. By the way Dublin is not even in the UK, it is the Republic of Ireland so don't even call them British,, that would then be your mistake,, or would that make you racist?

Anway, I won't bother posting on this stuff anymore.. The topic is a very sad story and I hope whatever family the boy does have in Britain (England,Scotland or Wales) or Thailand I hope they don't read this forum and see all this nonsense.

• Like 1

Terrible story, the poor little boy. I guess he and his father lived a quite life and pretty much kept to themselves. I hope English relatives come forward and offer the little guy a real chance in life.

Must have missed it somewhere! Where did it say the father was English? Racism is a funny thing: it's much closer to home than you think!

My apologies, British not English.

To all those offended by what appears as an extremely racist post, my apologies. In no way did racism enter my mind when I wrote it and it was never intended to appear racist. Again my very sincere apologies to all those offended.

May I suggest that the Mods remove my post. I am very sorry.

You were not being racist Chooka, this politically correct nonsense has gone too far. Every foreigner always refers to British as English, I am Scottish and not the least bit offended.

• Like 2

Ever taken in consideration that the mother wasn't there because they are divorced and have shared custody of the child ? Or do you think the father took the 5 year old with him when he went to work offshore.

"Or do you think the father took the 5 year old with him when he went to work offshore" Well anything is possible but I believe that's gotta be about the most stupid 'dumb assed' question I have ever seen on TV

Funny how "English" has become a racist slur, kinda like "gook" or "nigger." We must avoid!

RIP to the Dad and hope the kid gets over this some day and gets a good life either by his mom or by the relatives of his dad.

As for the comments about Racism, I am sorry, but for most people outside the UK, you are all English, sorry if that hurts you, but just so much easier than to differentiate smile.png

And ps, since when is calling you by another country Racism? If it is, it happens to me on a weekly basis, people calling me American, German, Belgium, English!!!, etc etc etc...... sorry it just all just sounds funny to me, i actually think and hope the first posters was just making a joke

There is nothing to joke about in this thread, and if anyone starts, I hope the Mods remove it.

Some interesting questions occur. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. What did he die from? What was that "offshore" work that he recently pursued? I didn't know Thailand has oil platforms... Sorensen is not a very British name. Could be Danish or Norwegian, in which case the offshore stuff makes sense.

The original article does describe him as "British". That's close enough, isn't it?

Not for some of the #@^&* posters nowadays obviously..

Rob is my brother and Luke my nephew. The whole situation makes me feel sick to my core, and I can't even begin to comprehend how some of you think its in any way appropriate to have a debate about racism on the back of a report of his death and the tragic circumstances surrounding it.

My family are grieving. It's difficult enough dealing with news reports and journalists without scummy speculation on top.

But just to clear it up for you all, Rob is from England. Luke has dual nationality but was born in Thailand. And our family is of Danish decent. The comments on Luke's mother are nothing more than fantasy, and this is a woman who is not only grieving, but trying to console her son.

But hey, what do our feelings matter, so long as you all get to gossip about it??

I wish you and your family a lot of energy in this hard time.

Soro 86, My sincere apologies and condolences on your loss! My intention was only to point out an error which is all too common. This thread unfortunately became proof of why the English are so disliked around the world. I did not realise that such a small correction would incite such venomous response! Again I apologise for any small part I played.

You don't give up do you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

My apologies, British not English.

To all those offended by what appears as an extremely racist post, my apologies. In no way did racism enter my mind when I wrote it and it was never intended to appear racist. Again my very sincere apologies to all those offended.

May I suggest that the Mods remove my post. I am very sorry.

Why? Why should your valid comments be removed just because some people chose to interpret your post as "racist"?

It was not. Retain the post and keep posting!

I suppose the PCists would have jumped on "Western" (vs "Eastern") too. There seems to be a underused word (or concept) in the English language: culturalism

FWIW, culturalism is defined by one site as:

"Culturalism is the more accurate assessment of the bias instinct human beings have toward someone who is different in any from themselves. Since, biologically speaking, there is not such thing as race ..."

Ref: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_definition_of_culturalism?#slide=1

I would be classified as a culturalist (i.e. biased against) several cultures (i.e. those that are extremely violent or drug-driven, to cite only a few examples).

Some interesting questions occur. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. What did he die from? What was that "offshore" work that he recently pursued? I didn't know Thailand has oil platforms... Sorensen is not a very British name. Could be Danish or Norwegian, in which case the offshore stuff makes sense.

Many offshore platforms and drilling rigs in the Gulf of Thailand, many expats also base themselves in Thailand whilst working in the South China, seas, Vietnam, Myanmar etc.

Not if you are Scottish

OK, what about "most foreigners outside Thailand refer to British as English" and they do, and I say as a Scot, I am not the least bit offended.

Absolutely, they just misunderstand, no one would call you English when they meet you right. These people need to disappear and have a day off.

• Like 1

What an incredible amount of self centred clowns there are among the posters here. A truly sad story being being over shadowed by numpties debating if the word "English" as opposed to "British" is racist. Get a life.

Let's hope relatives (of any nationality or "race") get to know about the lad and can step up to help

Or any "culture" as well?

• Like 1

A sad and tragic story...Rest In Peace mate, hope your son will get over it and the right people take care.

More than seven days and nobody missed him shows much about our society.

Very sad event, and horrible for the child.

However

I don't think it demonstrates anything about society.

It's school holiday time, and Songkran just past, father an offshore worker.

Many possible reasons for not being found in 7 days.

Just as many possible ways to die at 36, some entirely innocent, some not.

With so little detail, blaming anyone is pointless for this unfortunate death.

What an incredible amount of self centred clowns there are among the posters here. A truly sad story being being over shadowed by numpties debating if the word "English" as opposed to "British" is racist. Get a life.

Let's hope relatives (of any nationality or "race") get to know about the lad and can step up to help

Or any "culture" as well?

Any culture appropriate for the lad, absolutely!

My sincere condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Good to know Lukes mother and family are there for him.

Ever taken in consideration that the mother wasn't there because they are divorced and have shared custody of the child ? Or do you think the father took the 5 year old with him when he went to work offshore.

Pure conjecture; all I will say is I hope whoever takes responsibility for the child has it's best interests at heart.

RIP Robert.

This is none of your business.Would you like people sticking their nose in your private business after you died,showing no respect what so ever for the grieving family.