Nazi Chic

JXXXL

Was driving in the city today and spotted a Fortuner and on the spare tire cover was Hitler's mug with a swastika in the background.

What are these people thinking? Tourists seeing that shot must be in utter disbelief.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a popular punk style T-shirt in Chiang Mai that says "f... you nazi w@&kers". I've seen it worn by sweet 12 year old girls holding their mother's hand. Quite the opposite meaning to the hitler tyre cover , but much the same In that they are probably both unaware of it's meaning. Since they're not intending to offend then there is no need to be offended, especially if it's on someone else's behalf, ie if you're not a Jew or a nazi w@#nker. I'm not Jewish or a Nazi. The third option, depending on it's context, is a matter of opinion.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

There is a popular punk style T-shirt in Chiang Mai that says "f... you nazi w@&kers". I've seen it worn by sweet 12 year old girls holding their mother's hand. Quite the opposite meaning to the hitler tyre cover , but much the same In that they are probably both unaware of it's meaning. Since they're not intending to offend then there is no need to be offended, especially if it's on someone else's behalf, ie if you're not a Jew or a nazi w@#nker. I'm not Jewish or a Nazi. The third option, depending on it's context, is a matter of opinion.

Well I am not a Jew or a Nazi wan&er but I had a father who died prematurely because of what he went through in the war. So unlike you I take a dim view of the Nazis. Even if he hadn't been involved I do not support in any way shape or manor what he did and I believe the world should be made aware of his atrocities.

• Like 2

I wish I could have got a picture of this thing. I've seen kids wearing nazi t-shirts, stickers on scooters and the "cute" little statuettes of Adolf. But, this image on the truck was a 36" diameter tribute to the Fuhrer on the back of a car driving around the city for all of Chiang Mai's visitors to see. Certainly one of the most glaring examples of this terrible fad that I've seen.

The swastika symbol, minus any reference to Hitler of course,is a major symbol of Hinduism, its meaning, roughly translated, "all is well,it is good ,auspicious" etc.

Explained to us when we were staying at the Swastika Bungalows in Bali,they have chosen to use the word rather than the symbol in all their signs and promotional material.

I'm sure reception had answered my query a million times, to previous guests, and its a 30 year old resort. All there on Wikipedia as I later discovered.

Asking a Thai,under the age of 50, who Hitler was would bring very little response I would imagine.

• Like 1

On highway 21 just north of Saraburi I saw a sight that totally took me breath away AND it was colorful. 2 foot by 3 foot flags spaced every meter for 100 meters on both sides of a small shop selling camouflage kit. That's 200 meters of the

UNION FLAG, OLD GLORY AND The NAZI FLAG. Man was it a site. I'll have to get a photo next time.

There's a difference between the "cute" stuff and the heroic Hitlerian images. The above graphic shows the "cute" stuff.

Oh I guess that makes it OK then.

Not as bad anyway.

Yeah, a Nazi salute couldn't possibly offend anyone if it's being done by a cute Thai bird, eh?

rolleyes.gif

There's a difference between the "cute" stuff and the heroic Hitlerian images. The above graphic shows the "cute" stuff.

Oh I guess that makes it OK then.

Not as bad anyway.

Yeah, a Nazi salute couldn't possibly offend anyone if it's being done by a cute Thai bird, eh?

rolleyes.gif

sacred_heart_nazi_parade_1.jpg

Good topic today... as today is 'Yom Hashoah,' also known as Holocaust Memorial Day 2014

I guess most western adults are aware that to wear Nazi uniforms, swastikas, use a Nazi salute in public anywhere in Germany is grounds for arrest these days.

The world will NOT forget what Hitler did, not just to 6,000,000 Jews, but to 11,000,000 people that he executed, rather more than Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or most of the other dictators put together. One doesn't need to be Jewish, or German, or have relatives who died in the Camps to find the ignorance displayed in Thailand rather sad. As said, most Thais under the age of 40 have no idea who Hitler was, or CSN&Y for that matter. Ignorance is just that... ignorant.

• Like 2