Nazi Chic

JXXXL

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Jewish and had many relatives killed in the holocaust and think anybody who says basically it's ok because they are not also a Jew must be either a racist, ignorant or both!

How do you feel about the actions of Unit 731?

Speaking of Genocide, in their book "Why Not Kill Them All?: The Logic and Prevention of Mass Political Murder" professors Daniel Chirot and Clark McCauley write that it isn't just a matter of pointing at bad people and condemning them. They write: "given the right circumstances, normal human beings are all too ready to kill by category."

We are all potential monsters, which is why the refrain "never forget" is important. This is also why we should bristle whenever Thais or any other group is depicted as a monolith and disparaged, because these are the first steps in dehumanizing others.

T

Good topic today... as today is 'Yom Hashoah,' also known as Holocaust Memorial Day 2014

I guess most western adults are aware that to wear Nazi uniforms, swastikas, use a Nazi salute in public anywhere in Germany is grounds for arrest these days.

The world will NOT forget what Hitler did, not just to 6,000,000 Jews, but to 11,000,000 people that he executed, rather more than Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or most of the other dictators put together. One doesn't need to be Jewish, or German, or have relatives who died in the Camps to find the ignorance displayed in Thailand rather sad. As said, most Thais under the age of 40 have no idea who Hitler was, or CSN&Y for that matter. Ignorance is just that... ignorant.

Some say ignorance is bliss! There's some truth in that because some people are so concerned about Global warming, save the whale, help the poor, racism, animal rights, corporate greed and god knows what else that they spend their lives being serious, angry or miserable.

Plenty of Thais don't worry about such issues, much like most people pre-sixties in the west, maybe because they're too concerned with either getting by and paying the bills, or because they don't like to think about serious topics and are too busy enjoying life. Their ignorance may offend some, but generally no offence is intended.

Good topic today... as today is 'Yom Hashoah,' also known as Holocaust Memorial Day 2014

I guess most western adults are aware that to wear Nazi uniforms, swastikas, use a Nazi salute in public anywhere in Germany is grounds for arrest these days.

The world will NOT forget what Hitler did, not just to 6,000,000 Jews, but to 11,000,000 people that he executed, rather more than Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or most of the other dictators put together. One doesn't need to be Jewish, or German, or have relatives who died in the Camps to find the ignorance displayed in Thailand rather sad. As said, most Thais under the age of 40 have no idea who Hitler was, or CSN&Y for that matter. Ignorance is just that... ignorant.

Actually I wonder how much of the world knows of what Hitler and the Nazis did. Thailand I am sure is not the only country to be ignorant of it. I did not know those things were illegal in Germany. Thanks for the info. It just never occurred to me that any one would do it there.

If you are interested in a real mass murderer look up Genghis Khan. When the world had a lot less people he still managed to kill more than any other person in history. His army's were posed and ready to conquer Europe when he died.

There's a difference between the "cute" stuff and the heroic Hitlerian images. The above graphic shows the "cute" stuff.

Your idea of cute is different than mine.

Nothing cute about Hitler.

to each their own.

I would hate to see what you call good looking.

I'm Jewish and had many relatives killed in the holocaust and think anybody who says basically it's ok because they are not also a Jew must be either a racist, ignorant or both!

I will go with both. I am not of the Jewish faith how ever I am of German decent.

I think what they did was beyond atrocious.

• Like 1

Some say ignorance is bliss! There's some truth in that because some people are so concerned about Global warming, save the whale, help the poor, racism, animal rights, corporate greed and god knows what else that they spend their lives being serious, angry or miserable.

Plenty of Thais don't worry about such issues, much like most people pre-sixties in the west, maybe because they're too concerned with either getting by and paying the bills, or because they don't like to think about serious topics and are too busy enjoying life. Their ignorance may offend some, but generally no offence is intended.

Hog wash. They have schools that can teach about the Germans. It doesn't take a long time to give them the basics.

Here in Chiang Mai we actually had a school put on a parade dressed in German uniforms and goose steeping. They thought it was a good idea. One hour in the class room would have allowed them to know what they were representing.

Actually I wonder how much of the world knows of what Hitler and the Nazis did. Thailand I am sure is not the only country to be ignorant of it. I did not know those things were illegal in Germany. Thanks for the info. It just never occurred to me that any one would do it there.

If you are interested in a real mass murderer look up Genghis Khan. When the world had a lot less people he still managed to kill more than any other person in history. His army's were posed and ready to conquer Europe when he died.

Stalin killed 40million of his own people. That is forgotten. 6million Jews and many,millions more gays, political, gypsies and whoever was thought undesirable.

Japan still teaches they did not lose the war. They teach they ended the war to move forwards with different goals.

Thais are not well educated and history and general knowledge goes only so far as to educate about 9 monarchies and how to survive.

They really would not know what they are doing.

Many have Che Gevara tatoos. Do they know what HE stood for? If they did, they would be up on lese majeste

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

There's a difference between the "cute" stuff and the heroic Hitlerian images. The above graphic shows the "cute" stuff.

Your idea of cute is different than mine.

Nothing cute about Hitler.

to each their own.

I would hate to see what you call good looking.

You misunderstand me. I am only saying there is a big difference between funny images of Hitler looking like Charlie Chaplin and actual Nazi, Heroic Hitler images. The latter are worse is all I'm saying.

Who is Hitler?

I asked this question to my 18 and 20 year old Thai nephews.

Blank expression on their faces and then the answer.

Relative of yours in Greece?

Don't think Hitler ever bothered Thailand and of course this current generation wouldn't have much idea about him, they'd probably be more worried about a return visit by the Japs.

I fail to see what the fuss is about, this is Thailand....NOT Israel.

For once, Hillary Clinton may be right.... "What difference does it make"?

• Like 1

I just don't get the fuss over past atrocities and how they continue to dictate opinion. These were events in history that all had evil hated figureheads.

Yes,Germany had Hitler, Iraq had Hussein, Libya had Gadaffi, AlQuida had Bin Laden, then there were the atrocities of the Japanese thro the wars, the Polpots in Cambodia, idiot Amin in Africa, the Romans, the Vikings, the Huns, then Bush from the states and Blair from the 51st state.

England had its fair share throughout history having conquered 90% of the world at some point.....but all forgotten I think......except Jimmy Saville.

All these people created shame against humanity in some way shape or form.

It happened,its over now, move on, and most will be forgotten in the next generation.

My opinion,apologies to anyone who is currently directly affected by past atrocities of the aforementioned.

So if it happened yesterday it shouldn't matter because it is history? Perhaps we should forgive the mass murderer that takes out your family or let Brevic off because that was like ages ago?

I don't what irks me more, the Thais' shameful ignorance or frivolous tripe from Westerners who should know better. Suggest having a proper think about things (take a look at the movie Grey Zone), perhaps then you won't be so smug once you take yourself out of your easy life and wake up a bit. Good day.

Not Israel huh?
How do you think most modern GERMANS feel about their country STILL being associated with Nazism? Do you think most of them are happy to see images glorifying Nazis and Hitler?

How about RUSSIANS?

There are MANY groups and nationalities who are justifiably offended by glorification of Hitler.

The weird thing about the Thais though is that it's fair to conclude most of the time it's not done as any kind of pro Nazi expresion, just lack of sensitivity to people who aren't Thai.

Because obviously Thais mostly really don't care.

I'm not really bothered by the Thai Hitler/Nazi fashion because there isn't really a Nazi movement in Thailand. They do EMBARRASS themselves though in the eyes of the world, but that's their business I reckon.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Here we go again.i wish I could post my kids' fb post for tgeir grandma today ...and all evening yesterday nd today its just holacaust movies...hubby calls it Hitler day because that was the easiest way to explain why at 10:00 a.m.we had the damn bomb shelter go off with its drawn out siren for day of mourning and why everyone stops in the middle of what u r doing to stand in silence. ..most thais that work here add yoday to their list of bizarre israeli days (day of fasting..days u dont eat bread...day we dress funny nd get drunk etc)..

He has learned mire hustory from movies here nd seeing oeople with tatood numbers than any history kesson.we ve yet to go to yav'shwm I out it off every year...however there is an obsession here nd I do think people shoul remember not just this shoah...nd the thais r familiar with khmer dang atrocities..but as a people thais do not show interest in history or death but in today nd possibly tomorrow...an aspect I like...hitler to them is just a figure that sticks out and exagerated in look so makes for good fun...

And hubby really doesn't want to know...he tunes out much of today...but each year he learns a bit more when he hears actual stories from people he sees on our sidewalks daily or hears my children tell their grandmother's story. (He knows her so it makes it real to him).the best way to teach thai kids would be this way...but frakly we gave a cat named hitler because she has that mustache nd she's a devilish garbage dumpster cat nd noone us bothered by it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not Israel huh?

How do you think most modern GERMANS feel about their country STILL being associated with Nazism? Do you think most of them are happy to see images glorifying Nazis and Hitler?

How about RUSSIANS?

There are MANY groups and nationalities who are justifiably offended by glorification of Hitler.

The weird thing about the Thais though is that it's fair to conclude most of the time it's not done as any kind of pro Nazi expresion, just lack of sensitivity to people who aren't Thai.

Because obviously Thais mostly really don't care.

I'm not really bothered by the Thai Hitler/Nazi fashion because there isn't really a Nazi movement in Thailand. They do EMBARRASS themselves though in the eyes of the world, but that's their business I reckon.

Here we go again.i wish I could post my kids' fb post for tgeir grandma today ...and all evening yesterday nd today its just holacaust movies...hubby calls it Hitler day because that was the easiest way to explain why at 10:00 a.m.we had the damn bomb shelter go off with its drawn out siren for day of mourning and why everyone stops in the middle of what u r doing to stand in silence. ..most thais that work here add yoday to their list of bizarre israeli days (day of fasting..days u dont eat bread...day we dress funny nd get drunk etc)..

He has learned more history from movies he's seen here nd seeing people with tatood numbers than any history lesson.we have yet to go to yad'v'shem. I put it off every year...however there is an obsession here nd I do think people should remember not just this shoah...nd the thais r familiar with khmer dang atrocities.

.but as a people thais do not show interest in history or death but in today nd possibly tomorrow...an aspect I like...hitler to them is just a figure that sticks out and exagerated in look so makes for good fun...

And hubby really doesn't want to know...he tunes out much of today...but each year he learns a bit more when he hears actual stories from people he sees on our sidewalks daily or hears my children tell their grandmother's story. (He knows her so it makes it real to him).the best way to teach thai kids would be this way...

Schindler list

Avia's summer

And quite a few others

Has anyone seen the Asian guy dressed up as a WWII Japanese foot soldier walking around the old city, rifle strapped to his back and all? Wondering I anyone knows what the deal is with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

re

Has anyone seen the Asian guy dressed up as a WWII Japanese foot soldier walking around the old city, rifle strapped to his back and all?

here ya go :)

i know nothing about him but hes been a regular visitor to chiang mai for about two years and i saw him yesterday in ksk !

im sure hes harmless but he always looks very confused , bewildered or even frightend to me most of the time and one day i saw him walking round the moat in his uniform carrying a big japanese flag on a pole over his shoulder :(

how the bib would or did react to that i dont know

dave2

post-42592-0-31874600-1398738117_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure exactly what this has to do with it but no I didn't until Goggling it after your mentioning it. Many bad people have done terrible things and we can learn from them all.

For the other poster that I responded indirectly to in my first post I've quoted above who has again implied that ignorance is an admirable trait I would like to quote "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

• Like 2

re

Has anyone seen the Asian guy dressed up as a WWII Japanese foot soldier walking around the old city, rifle strapped to his back and all?

here ya go smile.png

i know nothing about him but hes been a regular visitor to chiang mai for about two years and i saw him yesterday in ksk !

im sure hes harmless but he always looks very confused , bewildered or even frightend to me most of the time and one day i saw him walking round the moat in his uniform carrying a big japanese flag on a pole over his shoulder sad.png

how the bib would or did react to that i dont know

dave2

He is Tojo Suzuki jr, the son of a Japanese war veteran, Tojo Suzuki, that has not been told WW2 is over and still thinks Thailand is under Japanese occupation.

Members of the public, especially Americans, are warned not to approach this man. The BiB have not made any attempts to apprehend this imperial Japanese soldier in fear of damaging trade relations between Japan and the Asien communities.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

We're talking about Hitler yet again? Oh well, might as well find some humor in this. There's tons of parodies off of this movie clip. This was one of my favorites:

I wonder how many people have actually seen the movie from which this clip is taken?

It's excellent, although you'll obviously need English subs if you don't speak German.

biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure exactly what this has to do with it but no I didn't until Goggling it after your mentioning it. Many bad people have done terrible things and we can learn from them all.

For the other poster that I responded indirectly to in my first post I've quoted above who has again implied that ignorance is an admirable trait I would like to quote "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

You've managed to misinterpret both of my posts , but I understand why, so I won't be offended.

We're talking about Hitler yet again? Oh well, might as well find some humor in this. There's tons of parodies off of this movie clip. This was one of my favorites:

I wonder how many people have actually seen the movie from which this clip is taken?

It's excellent, although you'll obviously need English subs if you don't speak German.

I have. It's called 'Downfall' (Der Untergang)

But many people mistake it for Inglourious Basterds, which wasn't as good. (Save for some very memorable scenes)