Nazi Chic

JXXXL

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't blame Thais for not learning anout WW2 and Hitler at school. They are not very interested in western history , even if WW2 was a global war.

The swastika symbol has been used as some sort of fashion in Bangkok , and still is. Thais just don't care about what it means for western people.

You do know that the Thais fought in and lost WWII? They declared war on the US and UK in 1942 and surrendered (voided the declaration of war) in 1945.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can't blame Thais for not learning anout WW2 and Hitler at school. They are not very interested in western history , even if WW2 was a global war.

The swastika symbol has been used as some sort of fashion in Bangkok , and still is. Thais just don't care about what it means for western people.

You do know that the Thais fought in and lost WWII? They declared war on the US and UK in 1942 and surrendered (voided the declaration of war) in 1945.

I know as little about Thailand during WW2 as they know about the war in Europe. Thailand was never mentioned when they taught us about WW2 at school. Same in Thailand , Hitler is not a part of the history lessons at the schools here from what I have been told.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know as little about Thailand during WW2 as they know about the war in Europe. Thailand was never mentioned when they taught us about WW2 at school. Same in Thailand , Hitler is not a part of the history lessons at the schools here from what I have been told.

Before college no country really teaches history. In college few majors teach history. If one got a degree in history with a specialty of expertise on WWII one would have received some structured education about WWII.

I'll give you an example. The Bridge Over The River Kwai was a fiction novel written by a Frenchman who had never been there who also wrote The Planet of the Apes. Now be honest, did anyone here know that?

• Like 2

Before college no country really teaches history. In college few majors teach history. If one got a degree in history with a specialty of expertise on WWII one would have received some structured education about WWII.

I'll give you an example. The Bridge Over The River Kwai was a fiction novel written by a Frenchman who had never been there who also wrote The Planet of the Apes. Now be honest, did anyone here know that?

What makes you an authority on the school curriculum of all the countries in the world ?

In my country, history was/is taught from a very early age.National, European and world history

What makes you an authority on the school curriculum of all the countries in the world ?

In my country, history was/is taught from a very early age.National, European and world history

The American Civil War. Years 1 thru 12; ten pages of text 10 hours at best. Maybe a book report or required reading of the Red Badge of Courage. Next the American Civil war taught to an undergraduate as a course; 48 hours in one term. Finally; the Battle of Antietam taught to grad students 48 hours one term. Do you see the difference? 1 thru 12 years taught a few things about the war. College BA taught about the major events of the war. Graduate school taught about every important battle of the war and the consequences.

It is time available. Grade school and high school there simply isn't enough time to get into the issues that one would need for even a basic understanding of history.

For example; for even a basic understanding of Lincoln (President during the American Civil war) one would have to read 10 very long books and attend classes for 4 hours a week for a year.

Edited by thailiketoo

Why are you giving us the American civil war as an example ? Europeans couldn't care less. The history about WW2 you'll find in every school book in most EU countries. I remember learning about it when I was 12 , and then all the stories told by our parents and family members that lost their lifes in the war.

Still I can understand that Thais do not have the knowledge about this,

Why are you giving us the American civil war as an example ? Europeans couldn't care less. The history about WW2 you'll find in every school book in most EU countries. I remember learning about it when I was 12 , and then all the stories told by our parents and family members that lost their lifes in the war.

That was the point. The history of the American Civil War is in every American text book but do you know which side the British were on? Did Thailand offer to help Lincoln fight the American Civil War? Did Lincoln free the slaves to keep Britain out of the war? Just how much detail can be covered in a few hours? Which side was Henry Ford on during WWII? Did American companies get war reparations for being bombed during WWII? How much European history do you think Americans get before college?

Edited by thailiketoo

First of all, you are all wrong about what Thais are taught in school. WW2 is taught and they are taught about Hitler. However they are not taught the same bias that the western world is.

There is a sense of distance and no emotional connection. Though I tend to get offended when I see morons wearing Nazi crap as fashion, I do understand that it really isn't any different than westerners wearing Chez Guevarea shirts or how we romanticize the crusades which was another form of genocide but seeing the templar symbol doesn't seem to piss off the same people that swastikas piss off.

There are ignorant people all over. The best we can do is tollerate others ignorance as they tollerate our own.

First of all, you are all wrong about what Thais are taught in school. WW2 is taught and they are taught about Hitler. However they are not taught the same bias that the western world is.

There is a sense of distance and no emotional connection. Though I tend to get offended when I see morons wearing Nazi crap as fashion, I do understand that it really isn't any different than westerners wearing Chez Guevarea shirts or how we romanticize the crusades which was another form of genocide but seeing the templar symbol doesn't seem to piss off the same people that swastikas piss off.

There are ignorant people all over. The best we can do is tollerate others ignorance as they tollerate our own.

In what grade does this Hitler teaching in Thailand take place?

For example; for even a basic understanding of Lincoln (President during the American Civil war) one would have to read 10 very long books and attend classes for 4 hours a week for a year.

When I was at high school in the UK in the 60s we used to do 3 hours a week of history. The last two years before final exams we did European history 1789-1870. We covered all of Napoleon's campaigns, the unification of Germany under Bismarck and Italy under Garibaldi and all the British history (Waterloo, Trafalgar, the Peninsula War etc.) too. We even tried to understand the Schleswig-Holstein question biggrin.png

We learnt nothing at all about WWII.

When I was at high school in the UK in the 60s we used to do 3 hours a week of history. The last two years before final exams we did European history 1789-1870. We covered all of Napoleon's campaigns, the unification of Germany under Bismarck and Italy under Garibaldi and all the British history (Waterloo, Trafalgar, the Peninsula War etc.) too. We even tried to understand the Schleswig-Holstein question biggrin.png

Because it was still going on at the time?

• Like 1

They might learn the history but for the exam. How much do farang care about Thai Burmese war anyway

They might learn the history but for the exam. How much do farang care about Thai Burmese war anyway

America and the UK cared very much about the Thai Burmese war in 1942

Well ever since Hitler chic has hit town I have grown one of those little mustaches, the Thai ladies love it, I always hear them say "oh sexy hitler man" as I walk by. On the occasions I am confronted by farangs over it, I just say it is Charlie Chapen style and do that funny walk outa there.

• Like 2

Interesting.

In the United States we learned world history. the East was not part of it.

I think it comes down to the different school systems. the same country can have several different systems.

That was the point. The history of the American Civil War is in every American text book but do you know which side the British were on? Did Thailand offer to help Lincoln fight the American Civil War? Did Lincoln free the slaves to keep Britain out of the war? Just how much detail can be covered in a few hours? Which side was Henry Ford on during WWII? Did American companies get war reparations for being bombed during WWII? How much European history do you think Americans get before college?

What does any of this have to do with your inaccurate statement.

"Before college no country really teaches history."

Not enough class time. Compare the hours spent by a graduate student and a grade school and high school student.

Not enough class time. Compare the hours spent by a graduate student and a grade school and high school student.

Like any subject, you start off by building a base and add continually through your school years and beyond. To follow your point, then you would also need to apply it to all school subjects. Your argument would suggest that unless someone goes to college, then they have no education. No Maths, No Languages, No sciences etc. This is ridiculous. I was taught history up until I was 18, after that it was not a subject I continued with.

So, as a person with no history education, I will take an uneducated guess and say that Britain was on Britains side and no one elses. Just as the USA was on USA's side when Ireland invaded Canada.

This conversation has become very interesting.

Many have complained about how little history students are being taught in Thai schools. Some posters were apparently relatively well-taught and some obviously were not taught very much. I should say, perhaps, that they didn't "learn" very much. The point really is that none of us should stop learning.

And learning is not simple. People generally are taught and learn through a prism of (generally) national aspirations reflected in the culturally or administratively prescribed history curriculum. Sometimes we are fortunate as students to have teachers who help us seek out more and more information to develop our thinking and opinions beyond what is offered in any "official" history curriculum."

I do not understand why people carp about the innocent ignorance of some Thai adolescent students when some of the complaints posted here are so ethnocentric and chauvinistic! How much did YOU learn about Asian history, let alone SE Asian history, back in Kansas, Yorkshire, Ontario, or NSW? Or at Princeton, Cambridge, et cetera? Probably not very much. I didn't, but I have studied since and still do.

Edited by Mapguy

Because it was still going on at the time?

Really? WWII lasted into the 1960s?

thai are stupid, they dont know nothing about Hitler I guess, they would be the first one cleaned out even before jews I think because of dark skin. Just my opinion. I cant beleive the whole germany agreed with Hitler still after so many years, germans were such clowns.....to believe a crazy person wiping people out, and nobody resisted.....

Was driving in the city today and spotted a Fortuner and on the spare tire cover was Hitler's mug with a swastika in the background.

A thread about a spare tyre cover with Hitler's embossed image and background swastika.

I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Why would that be?

This conversation has become very interesting.

Many have complained about how little history students are being taught in Thai schools. Some posters were apparently relatively well-taught and some obviously were not taught very much. I should say, perhaps, that they didn't "learn" very much. The point really is that none of us should stop learning.

And learning is not simple. People generally are taught and learn through a prism of (generally) national aspirations reflected in the culturally or administratively prescribed history curriculum. Sometimes we are fortunate as students to have teachers who help us seek out more and more information to develop our thinking and opinions beyond what is offered in any "official" history curriculum."

I do not understand why people carp about the innocent ignorance of some Thai adolescent students when some of the complaints posted here are so ethnocentric and chauvinistic! How much did YOU learn about Asian history, let alone SE Asian history, back in Kansas, Yorkshire, Ontario, or NSW? Or at Princeton, Cambridge, et cetera? Probably not very much. I didn't, but I have studied since and still do.

"How much did YOU learn about Asian history, let alone SE Asian history, back in Kansas, Yorkshire, Ontario, or NSW? Or at Princeton, Cambridge, et cetera? Probably not very much. I didn't, but I have studied since and still do."

Yes, that is the crux of the matter. How many foreign residents of Thailand, many long-time, have bothered to learn anything of its history, can even name the nine kings of the current dynasty, in order? How many can name just the past half dozen Chinese dynasties, or any of its more than 2,000 years of emperors, other than perhaps the last, thanks to a movie?

Despite having a history degree from a prominent university, I knew virtually nothing of the history of this part of the world before WWII when I moved to Asia more than 30 years ago. Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Asian history were specialized subjects in the '70s.

Westerners are culturally arrogant and chauvinistic, thinking the world and its history revolves around them, and have been since at least the Age of Discovery. Few of them recognize this, but everyone else in the world does.

• Like 2

Ten very long books and a year of study?

You never heard of The Reader's Digest?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

thai are stupid, they dont know nothing about Hitler I guess, they would be the first one cleaned out even before jews I think because of dark skin. Just my opinion. I cant beleive the whole germany agreed with Hitler still after so many years, germans were such clowns.....to believe a crazy person wiping people out, and nobody resisted.....

Are you in the PR business?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app