Nazi Chic

JXXXL

I also had never heard of Unit 731 so I goggled them.

You're another one that's proved my point but you don't seem to realise it. Most of the Thais who are wearing Nazi regalia and clothing have never heard of Hitler in the same way that you had never heard of Unit 731 until you Googled it. They know as little about Hitler as you know about Unit 731.

Never mind Unit 731, how many people in the West even get educated about the Cambodia Killing Fields, for example.

Therefore, "The Western Education System Is A Joke!" rolleyes.gif

That was after I was out of school and I heard about it in the West.

How many here in Thailand know about it. After all Thailand gave Pol Pot a place to live with out having to face his crimes?

But you are rite in saying that World History in the west does not say much about eastern History. For instance when London had 50,000 resident's Angkor Wat had 1,000,000. They skim over Genghis Khan who killed an estimated 1/4 of the population and his army was ready to invade Europe when he died. There by saving Europe. Yet in China they have statues of the man representing him as a hero for uniting China.

How ever Thailand took part in the second World war and should know of the evil in it. They are probably clueless as to how many of their own citizens died in building the death railroad to Burma.

And to the fact that their Government capitulated to the Japanese--and even then the Japanese killed millions--and enslaved their women as sex-slaves.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hog wash. They have schools that can teach about the Germans. It doesn't take a long time to give them the basics.

Here in Chiang Mai we actually had a school put on a parade dressed in German uniforms and goose steeping. They thought it was a good idea. One hour in the class room would have allowed them to know what they were representing.

What should they teach about the English ? What about England's Genocides. Or do you believe the Thais should be kept in the dark about that and only educate them on what you believe to be correct ?

A challenge to any English teachers out there, who is in favour of educating Thais in History. Start with this Poem and after teaching it and explaining it to your Thai pupils, then move on to other aspects of history.

Lady Jane Wilde (1821 - 1896)

http://www.ballinagree.freeservers.com/famyear.html

I think Thai history would be a better first step. I went to The American embassy today walked past a mural in which was painted Thai/USA 180 years of friendship. I wanted to write under that, "Except for the three years when the US and UK bombed the crap out of Bangkok. I believe the UK started bombing even before Thailand declared against the UK and USA."

Yeah--we don't hang about, mate.

Actually--we had inside info that things weren't going to go our way.

Good topic today... as today is 'Yom Hashoah,' also known as Holocaust Memorial Day 2014

I guess most western adults are aware that to wear Nazi uniforms, swastikas, use a Nazi salute in public anywhere in Germany is grounds for arrest these days.

The world will NOT forget what Hitler did, not just to 6,000,000 Jews, but to 11,000,000 people that he executed, rather more than Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or most of the other dictators put together. One doesn't need to be Jewish, or German, or have relatives who died in the Camps to find the ignorance displayed in Thailand rather sad. As said, most Thais under the age of 40 have no idea who Hitler was, or CSN&Y for that matter. Ignorance is just that... ignorant.

Actually I wonder how much of the world knows of what Hitler and the Nazis did. Thailand I am sure is not the only country to be ignorant of it. I did not know those things were illegal in Germany. Thanks for the info. It just never occurred to me that any one would do it there.

If you are interested in a real mass murderer look up Genghis Khan. When the world had a lot less people he still managed to kill more than any other person in history. His army's were posed and ready to conquer Europe when he died.

Stalin killed 40million of his own people. That is forgotten. 6million Jews and many,millions more gays, political, gypsies and whoever was thought undesirable.

Japan still teaches they did not lose the war. They teach they ended the war to move forwards with different goals.

Thais are not well educated and history and general knowledge goes only so far as to educate about 9 monarchies and how to survive.

They really would not know what they are doing.

Many have Che Gevara tatoos. Do they know what HE stood for? If they did, they would be up on lese majeste

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Careful........

You're another one that's proved my point but you don't seem to realise it. Most of the Thais who are wearing Nazi regalia and clothing have never heard of Hitler in the same way that you had never heard of Unit 731 until you Googled it. They know as little about Hitler as you know about Unit 731.

Never mind Unit 731, how many people in the West even get educated about the Cambodia Killing Fields, for example.

How many here in Thailand know about it. After all Thailand gave Pol Pot a place to live with out having to face his crimes?

But you are rite in saying that World History in the west does not say much about eastern History. For instance when London had 50,000 resident's Angkor Wat had 1,000,000. They skim over Genghis Khan who killed an estimated 1/4 of the population and his army was ready to invade Europe when he died. There by saving Europe. Yet in China they have statues of the man representing him as a hero for uniting China.

How ever Thailand took part in the second World war and should know of the evil in it. They are probably clueless as to how many of their own citizens died in building the death railroad to Burma.

And to the fact that their Government capitulated to the Japanese--and even then the Japanese killed millions--and enslaved their women as sex-slaves.

Thailand lost 7000 people military and civilian due to WWII. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Thailand lost 7000 people military and civilian due to WWII. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

I accept defeat- I thought it was more- obviously millions was an exxageration considering the population....but only7 k. I'm surprised...Wikipedia never lies, of course.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I accept defeat- I thought it was more- obviously millions was an exxageration considering the population....but only7 k. I'm surprised...Wikipedia never lies, of course.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Check out the Ban Pong incident for an idea of how the Japanese and Thai got along during the war. The Japanese hired Thai laborers to work on the railroads till the Ban Pong incident and then it became a problem. Although the Japanese did pay compensation for people killed and such.

There was a comfort station outside of Bangkok with Indonesian and maybe some Thai women. They weren't paid much and got a little bit on days off for shopping.

The whole thing of trade between Thais and the POW's is an unusual story.

The swastika symbol, minus any reference to Hitler of course,is a major symbol of Hinduism, its meaning, roughly translated, "all is well,it is good ,auspicious" etc.

Explained to us when we were staying at the Swastika Bungalows in Bali,they have chosen to use the word rather than the symbol in all their signs and promotional material.

I'm sure reception had answered my query a million times, to previous guests, and its a 30 year old resort. All there on Wikipedia as I later discovered.

Asking a Thai,under the age of 50, who Hitler was would bring very little response I would imagine.

The Hindu Swastika rotates the opposite way to the Nazi emblem--for some reason, which someone will tell us.

The swastika symbol, minus any reference to Hitler of course,is a major symbol of Hinduism, its meaning, roughly translated, "all is well,it is good ,auspicious" etc.

Explained to us when we were staying at the Swastika Bungalows in Bali,they have chosen to use the word rather than the symbol in all their signs and promotional material.

I'm sure reception had answered my query a million times, to previous guests, and its a 30 year old resort. All there on Wikipedia as I later discovered.

Asking a Thai,under the age of 50, who Hitler was would bring very little response I would imagine.

The Hindu Swastika rotates the opposite way to the Nazi emblem--for some reason, which someone will tell us.

swastika_by_avix.jpg

I personally find it disgusting. Their ignorance and the level of stupidity they have managed to reach.

It is basically forbidden and taboo to talk about for example the man who was the mastermind behind the Thammasat massacre. Everybody acts like it has never happened. A lot of people were killed and the relatives are still in pain to this day. Hitler did something similar, just on a much bigger scale. He started killing millions of people because why not. And these people have the nerve to make fun of it at their so called best university, Chula. Use his pictures in advertisements and also put it on their cars. But the best thing about is that they are so cool, that they don't even know who the hell Hitler was. Are these people for real or is it just a joke and they are going to realize how pathetic it is?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

re

Has anyone seen the Asian guy dressed up as a WWII Japanese foot soldier walking around the old city, rifle strapped to his back and all?

here ya go smile.png

i know nothing about him but hes been a regular visitor to chiang mai for about two years and i saw him yesterday in ksk !

im sure hes harmless but he always looks very confused , bewildered or even frightend to me most of the time and one day i saw him walking round the moat in his uniform carrying a big japanese flag on a pole over his shoulder sad.png

how the bib would or did react to that i dont know

dave2

He is Tojo Suzuki jr, the son of a Japanese war veteran, Tojo Suzuki, that has not been told WW2 is over and still thinks Thailand is under Japanese occupation.

Members of the public, especially Americans, are warned not to approach this man. The BiB have not made any attempts to apprehend this imperial Japanese soldier in fear of damaging trade relations between Japan and the Asien communities.

Are you serious?? With a WW2 Japanese rifle slunfg on his shoulder and the BIB do sweet FA?

That's ridiculous--a looney with a dangerous weapon wondering around--you must be having a laugh?

Mind you--some of the BIB are non-too well endowed in the sanity stakes--take the murdering officers in Pai or Kanchanaburi--and they have live weapons.

I personally find it disgusting. Their ignorance and the level of stupidity they have managed to reach.

It is basically forbidden and taboo to talk about for example the man who was the mastermind behind the Thammasat massacre. Everybody acts like it has never happened. A lot of people were killed and the relatives are still in pain to this day. Hitler did something similar, just on a much bigger scale. He started killing millions of people because why not. And these people have the nerve to make fun of it at their so called best university, Chula. Use his pictures in advertisements and also put it on their cars. But the best thing about is that they are so cool, that they don't even know who the hell Hitler was. Are these people for real or is it just a joke and they are going to realize how pathetic it is?

I have a musicassette by a Thai musician and his band who sung about the Thammasat tragedy--so, it's not completely forgotten by any means.

I imagine your on your way out to book your flight home. Disgusting, ignorant, stupid, and pathetic .... if I felt the same way about the Thais as you do, that's what I'd be doing.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good topic today... as today is 'Yom Hashoah,' also known as Holocaust Memorial Day 2014

I guess most western adults are aware that to wear Nazi uniforms, swastikas, use a Nazi salute in public anywhere in Germany is grounds for arrest these days.

The world will NOT forget what Hitler did, not just to 6,000,000 Jews, but to 11,000,000 people that he executed, rather more than Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or most of the other dictators put together. One doesn't need to be Jewish, or German, or have relatives who died in the Camps to find the ignorance displayed in Thailand rather sad. As said, most Thais under the age of 40 have no idea who Hitler was, or CSN&Y for that matter. Ignorance is just that... ignorant.

Some say ignorance is bliss! There's some truth in that because some people are so concerned about Global warming, save the whale, help the poor, racism, animal rights, corporate greed and god knows what else that they spend their lives being serious, angry or miserable.

Plenty of Thais don't worry about such issues, much like most people pre-sixties in the west, maybe because they're too concerned with either getting by and paying the bills, or because they don't like to think about serious topics and are too busy enjoying life. Their ignorance may offend some, but generally no offence is intended.

Hog wash. They have schools that can teach about the Germans. It doesn't take a long time to give them the basics.

Here in Chiang Mai we actually had a school put on a parade dressed in German uniforms and goose steeping. They thought it was a good idea. One hour in the class room would have allowed them to know what they were representing.

What should they teach about the English ? What about England's Genocides. Or do you believe the Thais should be kept in the dark about that and only educate them on what you believe to be correct ?

A challenge to any English teachers out there, who is in favour of educating Thais in History. Start with this Poem and after teaching it and explaining it to your Thai pupils, then move on to other aspects of history.

Lady Jane Wilde (1821 - 1896)

http://www.ballinagree.freeservers.com/famyear.html

Thanks for including the link--a very moving poem--no wonder her son was so gifted.

It's not often something like this gets linked to on TV, thanks.

I imagine your on your way out to book your flight home. Disgusting, ignorant, stupid, and pathetic .... if I felt the same way about the Thais as you do, that's what I'd be doing.

I agree with A1Str8.

It is ignorant and stupid to the level they have reached. But that is only in the one area of world history not their whole life.

Why do you assume it is their whole life?

Are you just basing your post on your own ideas?

http://rabble.ca/toolkit/on-this-day/us-secret-bombing-cambodia

On March 18, 1969, the United States began a four year long carpet-bombing campaign in the skies of Cambodia, devastating the countryside and causing socio-political upheaval that eventually led to the installation of the Pol Pot regime.

History

During the Vietnam War, the Vietnamese Liberation Front and the PAVN used a network of supply routes that partially ran through Laos and Cambodia. As the War progressed, the U.S. ostensibly invaded both Cambodia and Laos in order to disrupt these routes.

The Bombing

The initial operation was authorized by then President Richard Nixon, but without the knowledge or approval of U.S. Congress. The bombings became public knowledge in 1973, after which they were stopped.

The United States dropped upwards of 2.7 million tons of bombs on Cambodia, exceeding the amount it had dropped on Japan during WWII (including Hiroshima and Nagasaki) by almost a million tons. During this time, about 30 per cent of the country's population was internally displaced.

Result

Estimates vary widely on the number of civilian casualites inflicted by the campaign; however,as many as 500,000 people died as a direct result of the bombings while perhaps hundreds of thousands more died from the effects of displacement, disease or starvation during this period.

The Khmer Rouge, previously a marginalized guerrilla group, propagandized the bombing campaign to great effect; by the CIA's own intelligence estimates, the US bombing campaign was a key factor in the increase in popular support for the Khmer Rouge rebels. After their victory in 1975, the Khmer Rouge oversaw a period in which another one-to-two million Cambodians died from execution, hunger and forced labour.

After it became public, the bombing campaign was a subject of contention within the U.S. as opposition to the U.S. military project in Indochina intensified.

• Like 2

On March 18, 1969, the United States began a four year long carpet-bombing campaign in the skies of Cambodia, devastating the countryside and causing socio-political upheaval that eventually led to the installation of the Pol Pot regime.

History

During the Vietnam War, the Vietnamese Liberation Front and the PAVN used a network of supply routes that partially ran through Laos and Cambodia. As the War progressed, the U.S. ostensibly invaded both Cambodia and Laos in order to disrupt these routes.

The Bombing

The initial operation was authorized by then President Richard Nixon, but without the knowledge or approval of U.S. Congress. The bombings became public knowledge in 1973, after which they were stopped.

The United States dropped upwards of 2.7 million tons of bombs on Cambodia, exceeding the amount it had dropped on Japan during WWII (including Hiroshima and Nagasaki) by almost a million tons. During this time, about 30 per cent of the country's population was internally displaced.

Result

Estimates vary widely on the number of civilian casualites inflicted by the campaign; however,as many as 500,000 people died as a direct result of the bombings while perhaps hundreds of thousands more died from the effects of displacement, disease or starvation during this period.

The Khmer Rouge, previously a marginalized guerrilla group, propagandized the bombing campaign to great effect; by the CIA's own intelligence estimates, the US bombing campaign was a key factor in the increase in popular support for the Khmer Rouge rebels. After their victory in 1975, the Khmer Rouge oversaw a period in which another one-to-two million Cambodians died from execution, hunger and forced labour.

After it became public, the bombing campaign was a subject of contention within the U.S. as opposition to the U.S. military project in Indochina intensified.

Nice one--you do post some interesting stuff. I was familiar with this part of history but some might not have been. In fact, the Plain of Jars is still littered with UXBs.

re

Are you serious?? With a WW2 Japanese rifle slunfg on his shoulder and the BIB do sweet FA?

That's ridiculous--a looney with a dangerous weapon wondering around--you must be having a laugh?

what bj posted about this man is nothing to do with me but for my part in this can i just clear this up

my file name of the pic i posted yesterday is

man. in japanese uniform with plastic gun 19 jan 14

note ... it says plastic !

anyone here can see it if they download it

ive seen him and his gun quite a few times and its obviously a kids toy gun and couldnt be mistaken for a real one by anyone !

maybe hes not quite all there but hes just playing at being a soldier thats all !

i think soi dogs pose more of a threat than he does !

dave2

no pic

• Like 2

One thing this post illustrates is how little thought most people give to their judgements. If you're going to live in a different country, with a different culture then it's very easy to assume that because someone does something different to you or reacts differently than you would in certain circumstances then it must be because they are stupid or ignorant.

Try this.... assume that it's not because they're stupid or ignorant and instead try to think of other reasons that might explain their actions. Assuming that just because somebody acts differently than you would is because they are stupid and ignorant is just that........ stupid and ignorant.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

re

Has anyone seen the Asian guy dressed up as a WWII Japanese foot soldier walking around the old city, rifle strapped to his back and all?

here ya go smile.png

i know nothing about him but hes been a regular visitor to chiang mai for about two years and i saw him yesterday in ksk !

im sure hes harmless but he always looks very confused , bewildered or even frightend to me most of the time and one day i saw him walking round the moat in his uniform carrying a big japanese flag on a pole over his shoulder sad.png

how the bib would or did react to that i dont know

dave2

I've seen this guy many times. He reminds me of the Japanese commander of the prison camp in "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" I figured he was just really into the movie and playing the part.

There is not much to add here, don't worry about the Hitler stuff until you see a farang displaying it. There are certainly some of those types here. One (British) I ran into at a drinking establishment started spouting outrageous conspiracy theories to me including that the Windsors are secretly Jewish. So purposely to antagonize him I said "Wow, so am I ". You should have seen his face.

No, They don't read or comprehend roman lettering on the T-shirts as anything but decoration. Two of the funniest I have seen worn obliviously by young girls were "HOT MILK" and "Cxxxksucking". I am not joking. Clothing designers of this stuff must be laughing their asses off.

Edited by arunsakda

There is not much to add here, don't worry about the Hitler stuff until you see a farang displaying it. There are certainly some of those types here. One (British) I ran into at a drinking establishment started spouting outrageous conspiracy theories to me including that the Windsors are secretly Jewish. So purposely to antagonize him I said "Wow, so am I ". You should have seen his face.

No, They don't read or comprehend roman lettering on the T-shirts as anything but deciration. Two of the funniest I have seen worn obliviously by young girls were "HOT MILK" and "Cxxxksucking". I am not joking. Clothing designers of this stuff must be laughing their asses off.

Even this Windsor ?

post-163165-0-79783200-1398945574_thumb.

I remember that. A sophomoric/immature act by a young bloke who is educated and should know better, but not mean spirited at all. Harry's immediate ancestors, some of who were actually supporting Hitler before the war, fought a real life and death battle with Naziism. I think he was trying to be ironic. Certainly Granny gave him quite the verbal hiding for this stunt.

Thai kids who display Nazi regalia have no understanding of 20th century history whatsoever. None.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

History

The Bombing

Result

Nice one--you do post some interesting stuff. I was familiar with this part of history but some might not have been. In fact, the Plain of Jars is still littered with UXBs.

Was that not made into a movie. Of course the amount of damage was not disclosed.

One thing this post illustrates is how little thought most people give to their judgements. If you're going to live in a different country, with a different culture then it's very easy to assume that because someone does something different to you or reacts differently than you would in certain circumstances then it must be because they are stupid or ignorant.

Try this.... assume that it's not because they're stupid or ignorant and instead try to think of other reasons that might explain their actions. Assuming that just because somebody acts differently than you would is because they are stupid and ignorant is just that........ stupid and ignorant.

Would it make you feel better to say there school system is stupid and ignorant and they just don't have the knowledge I do?

That can work two ways. I know my western education tought me nothing about the eastern history. Other than Genghis Khan and little of that. It did in passing mention Marco Polo.

History

The Bombing

Result

Was that not made into a movie. Of course the amount of damage was not disclosed.

Operation, "Barrel role." The Plain of Jars and Thai mercenaries. It's an interesting story if you can find anyone to tell you the truth. There are those here, who were there and still have not forgotten. smile.png

Would it make you feel better to say there school system is stupid and ignorant and they just don't have the knowledge I do?

That can work two ways. I know my western education tought me nothing about the eastern history. Other than Genghis Khan and little of that. It did in passing mention Marco Polo.

You're on the right path, keep it up.

And probably the only reason you were taught about them was the fact that Polo was Italian and the Khanate empire reached as far as Poland and Hungary.

You can't blame Thais for not learning anout WW2 and Hitler at school. They are not very interested in western history , even if WW2 was a global war.

The swastika symbol has been used as some sort of fashion in Bangkok , and still is. Thais just don't care about what it means for western people.