Suphanburi: Snake ridden community told to build spirit shrine

webfact

Snake Ridden Community Told To Build Spirit Shrine
By Khaosod English

13986718001398671856l.jpg

SUPHANBURI — A gated community in Suphanburi province suffering from an infestation of cobra snakes has been advised by a necromancer to appease the “angry snake goddess” by building her a shrine.

Somchai Chotiyanon, 41, of Jaranai 2 Village, made headlines in Thai media when hordes of venomous snakes began invading his home last week. Mr. Somchai said that on an average day, his family has encountered 5-6 snakes in their home. In total, he has counted at least 30 snake intruders so far.

Mr. Somchai said he is not sure where the snakes are coming from, or why they are so intent on intruding his property.

The snakes have also invaded the homes of some of Mr. Somchai's neighbours, killing several guard dogs in the process.

At first Mr. Somchai tried to trap and kill the snakes, but after a poisonous snake bite sent him to the hospital, he decided to seek help from authorities instead.

In response to Mr. Somchai's call for help, Suphanburi local authorities dispatched workers to clear a nearby wooded area suspected to be the snakes' lair and seal all of the drainages in the community.

Chantima Phoprae, a self-styled necromancer who claimed she could communicate with a "snake goddess," also arrived to help advise Mr. Somchai on how to stem the invasion of snakes into his home.

Ms. Chantima told Mr. Somchai that the snakes were likely a manifestation of an enraged snake goddess who is seeking "revenge" on his family for the crimes humans have committed against snakes. The necromancer suggested that Mr. Somchai build a shrine dedicated to the snake goddess in his home and surround his property with smaller statues of snakes to symbolise the children of the sacred goddess. Ms. Chantima said a religious ceremony is also needed to appease the snakes’ anger, and to pass good merits to their spirits in the afterworld.

"Whether you will do it is entirely up to you," Ms. Chantima said. "But if you do, I can assure you that your family will be happy."

Mr. Somcha’s 16-year-old daughter Chantima Chotiyanon said her father has decided to conduct the religious service dedicated to the snakes' spirits.

"So we can have peace of mind," Ms. Chantima said.

However, Somphot Weerakul, an snake expert and assistant professor at Khon Kaen University, told Daily News that the incident is unlikely to be caused by anything supernatural.

Mr. Somphot was quoted as saying that he believes the snakes were simply moving to a cooler location in response to the warm weather.

Some of the female snakes Mr. Somchai killed may have also left traces of their blood in his home, which could have attracted more male snakes in the area, Mr. Somphot added.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398671800

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-28

However, Somphot Weerakul, an snake expert and assistant professor at Khon Kaen University, told Daily News that the incident is unlikely to be caused by anything supernatural.

That stupid statement qualifies him to be a tried and true academic 'expert' in LOS! Are they downgrading from third world to the next step?

According to the nonsense of Ms. Chantima, my neighbour must have p###d off the godess of all roaches.

Edited by Lupatria

Ms. Chantima told Mr. Somchai that the snakes were likely a manifestation of an enraged snake goddess who is seeking "revenge" on his family for the crimes humans have committed against snakes. The necromancer suggested that Mr. Somchai build a shrine dedicated to the snake goddess in his home and surround his property with smaller statues of snakes to symbolise the children of the sacred goddess. Ms. Chantima said a religious ceremony is also needed to appease the snakes’ anger, and to pass good merits to their spirits in the afterworld.

Also Ms. Chantima said an advisory fee of 10,000 baht is necessary to avoid angry necromancers descending on the village next.

• Like 1

this sums up the problems of Modern Thailand ..ignorance and stupidity

Yes because believing in a snake god is so much more unbelievable as believing there is an unseen all-powerful god that had his son die for us.

Religions are all crazy.. just because they believe in a different fairy tale as you does not make them any more ignorant as Christians, Muslims ect..

There is NO proof for any any god so all these stories are equally crazy.

The Lord of hosts is with us

• Like 1

In response to Mr. Somchai's call for help, Suphanburi local authorities dispatched workers to clear a nearby wooded area suspected to be the snakes' lair

Quite. Destroy their natural habitat further and force them to find nice gated communities to terrorise. It's no wonder Thais aren't interested in voting or politics when those in power make such imbecilic steps.

This one is for Terry the moderator.

What's up with you?

You give me a warning for misuse of Shinawatra family names which you said was a post which uses aberrant spellings of politician's names and for insulting the intelligence of other members (Farang) on Thai Visa (Called a poster an idiot).

But at the same time you and many of the moderators on ThaiVisa continuously ignore posts such as Terry's above stating that all Thai's are ignorant and stupid.

Everything I said about Thaksin is true and most intelligent people know it and agree but you would not allow me to say that a Farang's comment was idiotic but Farangs on this site can continuously say that Thais are stupid and ignorant as if it was understood and true.

As you and other moderators continuously accept comments like these about Thai people you have established by default that ThaiVisa accepts the idea that speaking about Thais in this manner is the accepted standard on ThaiVisa which I have noticed for a very long time is the case.

As a moderator, in my opinion, you must ask yourself if one....you are being fair and equitable to both members on this site and Thais who have allowed your residence here....two....did you stop me for what I said or because you responded emotionally and felt I should be stopped (power trip)....and three....treat Thais who you are a guest of in their nation with a little more respect than that they are all stupid and ignorant.

I think that this is a fair and honest response to you and this ThaiVisa forum and worth sharing with the members and the public as a whole.

Let's see if you have the balls and integrity to leave it up for the other posters here to judge.

• Like 1

What's up with you?

You give me a warning for misuse of Shinawatra family names which you said was a post which uses aberrant spellings of politician's names and for insulting the intelligence of other members (Farang) on Thai Visa (Called a poster an idiot).

But at the same time you and many of the moderators on ThaiVisa continuously ignore posts such as Terry's above stating that all Thai's are ignorant and stupid.

Everything I said about Thaksin is true and most intelligent people know it and agree but you would not allow me to say that a Farang's comment was idiotic but Farangs on this site can continuously say that Thais are stupid and ignorant as if it was understood and true.

As you and other moderators continuously accept comments like these about Thai people you have established by default that ThaiVisa accepts the idea that speaking about Thais in this manner is the accepted standard on ThaiVisa which I have noticed for a very long time is the case.

As a moderator, in my opinion, you must ask yourself if one....you are being fair and equitable to both members on this site and Thais who have allowed your residence here....two....did you stop me for what I said or because you responded emotionally and felt I should be stopped (power trip)....and three....treat Thais who you are a guest of in their nation with a little more respect than that they are all stupid and ignorant.

I think that this is a fair and honest response to you and this ThaiVisa forum and worth sharing with the members and the public as a whole.

Let's see if you have the balls and integrity to leave it up for the other posters here to judge.

Good post

well, I just got home on a 2 week break from saudi and found that a big area to the rear of our house had been bulldozed (previously undeveloped with bull rushes from the runoff from an adjacent klong that has no direction)...and the wife said that there was a fire and that the fire brigade came out and later built a 'fire break' next to the adjacent houses (local chinese are neighbors and have influence at the tesseban who are next door)...

if anything woulda spooked them snakes then the fire or the bulldozers woulda but I don't see none around here...the MiL is in th back barefooted lookin' after the fruit trees she's planted and when I say 'look out fer the nguu' she just laughs and goes about her business...

she knows something that I don't...maybe because every year when her house gets flooded the monitor lizards come and hang around her doorstep...but she's 70 something years old and a healthy, sexy old lady an' ain't got no reason to worry about nuthin'...

• 4 years later...
On 4/29/2014 at 5:40 PM, The Boz said:

What's up with you?

We shalt not comment about moderation