Can I get a Thai id and passport?

My parents are both laos and they came to Thailand to Nakhon phanom where I was born inside the refuge camp. I have the original birth certificate and was wondering am

I able to get a Thai nationality being Laos? I went to America when I was 3 years old. I am currently a USA citizen now here in Thailand for the past year.

Place of birth doesn't matter here one parent has to be Thai

Not true. Under the Nationality Act of 2008, section 23, people born in Thailand before 1992 can acquire Thai citizenship. No need for a Thai parent. The OP doesn't state his age, so this may not be helpful.

• Like 1

Not true. Under the Nationality Act of 2008, section 23, people born in Thailand before 1992 can acquire Thai citizenship. No need for a Thai parent. The OP doesn't state his age, so this may not be helpful.

yes, but the caveat is that he people in that situation have to show an ongoing link to Thailand.

I'm just here for any help. I am sure there are plenty of Laos people born in Thailand and have moved to USA or another country during my era as born in the refuge camp in the 1980s. I'm sure someone out there has direct answer to what I'm asking or been in the same situation I am that's all

I'm just here for any help. I am sure there are plenty of Laos people born in Thailand and have moved to USA or another country during my era as born in the refuge camp in the 1980s. I'm sure someone out there has direct answer to what I'm asking or been in the same situation I am that's all

the relevant law has been sent to you. Having read it it is clear that you'd need to have been registered in Thailand having a domicile here (ie tabieen baan).

But here it is again:

"Section 23 All persons previously used to be of Thai nationality because of having been born in the Kingdom of Thailand but their Thai nationality were revoked in accordance with Clause 1 of the Revolutionary Party Announcement No. 337, dated 13 December 1972 and persons born in the Kingdom of ThaiIand but have not been given Thai nationality in accordance with Clause 2 of the Revolutionary Party Announcement No. 337, dated 13 December 1972, including descendants of such persons born in the Kingdom of Thailand prior to the date on which this Act has come into force and have not been given Thai nationality in accordance with paragraph one of Section 7 his of Nationality Act, B.E. 2508, which has been revised by Nationality Act, (No.2), B.E. 2535, if those persons have actually and consecutively been living in the Kingdom of Thailand by having evidences being the Civil Registration Documentation, citing them as persons of good conducts, doing things beneficial to sociality or Thailand, Thai nationality shall be given to such persons from the date on which this Act has come into force except the persons having already attained the Thai nationality by virtue of the Minister's orders prior to this Act has come into force."

http://www.ilo-phuket.com/nationality.html

I don't think you fall into that category.

Edited by samran

I have a successful online business working from home. Also a business in America where I have a family member managing it. Income isn't a problem for me living in Thailand as it is affordable for anyone who retires here for what they get as a pension. It's just I don't want to marry a women yet to entrust me staying here or putting a house under her name and so on for reasons u all know can turn into a bad ending. The past year I have traveled to many provinces in Thailand and figure where I want to settle in with doing business wise also. My age shouldn't matter it's my worth ethic that got me to where I'm at now. I seen plenty of people who are way older than me living in Thailand as a English teacher as we all know that income isn't as high to live a nice and luxury life...that's all

Have you tried to get Lao citizenship?

It seems like if both parents were Lao, that might be possible.

At least it would save money when doing visa runs.

"I have a successful online business working from home"

Do you have a work permit for that? If not, I wouldn't mention it on an open forum.

• Like 1

You are going to need to start a business, pay yourself a salary and work towards PR and citizenship like anyone else. In the meantime doing the company properly will get you work permits will allow you to stay in Thailand without visa runs. Americans under the treaty or amity can own 100% of their company.

Success does not come from nay sayers. The only to advance is to move forward.

As you have papers, you should apply at the Amphur nearest the birth location. If that fails, see a lawyer in Bangkok.

Speaking Thai/Lao will get you farther along, so if you do not speak the lingo, take a translator with you to the Amphur.

Success does not come from nay sayers. The only to advance is to move forward.

As you have papers, you should apply at the Amphur nearest the birth location. If that fails, see a lawyer in Bangkok.

Speaking Thai/Lao will get you farther along, so if you do not speak the lingo, take a translator with you to the Amphur.

We that say nay are doing it because we have read the nationality act are somewhat familiar with the issue.

Most Amphoes will not have a clue about it.

A lawyer might say yes and then later no after taking his money.

Thanks everyone for the information it has been helpful as this is an expat forum.

Hi There!

Just a thought, but if it is easy for you to get a Laos Passport by virtue of your parental link, then with the impending AEC which will allow freedom of movement within the pact countries, you would be able to live in Thailand with no problem. I am, however, unsure as to the future requirements for the citizens of the area regarding visas. You'll have to refer to the AEC documents to gain this information.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the information it has been helpful as this is an expat forum.

Hi There!

Just a thought, but if it is easy for you to get a Laos Passport by virtue of your parental link, then with the impending AEC which will allow freedom of movement within the pact countries, you would be able to live in Thailand with no problem. I am, however, unsure as to the future requirements for the citizens of the area regarding visas. You'll have to refer to the AEC documents to gain this information.

There is no freedom of movement clause in AEC. It is mostly just a free trade agreement.

• Like 1

Hi There!

Bad info. I hope you aren't a real teacher.

• Like 2

I think you stand a damn good chance of getting both the ID and citizenship. You need a good friend in a Thai lawyer and some contacts at immigration. Where are you? Chiang Mai or BKK? Good luck to you.

Hi There!

Bad info. I hope you aren't a real teacher.

I will just take my documents to the amphoe and speak Thai and see what happens. If I get denied so be it but it doesn't hurt trying or attempting since I have a lot of free time in my hands why not go visit my hometown where I was born. Ajarnmartin even Lao passports are here on visas or 30 day stamps i know cause I met one with it before so I'm not giving up my USA citizens for a Laos citizens is ridiculous. Laos doesn't offer dual citizenship anyway

Samsaiexpat I have spoken to a good friend of mines pretty high ranking. He has a colleague in immigration that says there are ways around this as long as u have $$$. Well thanks everybody for the legal advice. I'm sure posting something illegal on this forum would be improper

I think you stand a damn good chance of getting both the ID and citizenship. You need a good friend in a Thai lawyer and some contacts at immigration. Where are you? Chiang Mai or BKK? Good luck to you.

Immigration has nothing to do with getting Thai nationality. ID cards and etc. It is done by the interior ministry.

awful, awful advice.

If you were potentially eligible via section 23 route, then you'd be dealing with the ampur where you were born. But seeing you've never had been on the house register, there goes that idea....

Othewise, immigration doesn't have any sway over citizenship issues. It is special branch of the police and the Ministry of Interior. Lawyer will just take your money to say 'can not'.

• Like 1

Correct.