German govt disowns ex-chancellor Schroeder after he is pictured in bear-hug with Putin

webfact

German government disowns former chancellor Gerhard Schroeder after he is pictured in bear-hug with Putin despite tensions over Ukraine
Government has distanced itself from Gerhard Schroeder following picture
Former chancellor was seen embracing Russian President Vladimir Putin
Pair spotted in St. Petersburg after Schroeder's 70th birthday celebration

By EMMA GLANFIELD

pt.jpg
Source: File photo

BERLIN: -- The German government has distanced itself from former chancellor Gerhard Schroeder after he was pictured embracing Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The picture of the pair locked in a ‘bear-hug’ in St. Petersburg comes at a time of high tension between the West and Russia over Ukraine.

In the photo, the former Social Democrat chancellor can be seen smiling as he embraces Putin on the steps of Jussupov palace in the Russian city.

A spokesman for Schroeder confirmed he was in the city on Monday for a shareholders' meeting of Nord Stream AG - the Russian-German pipeline joint venture he chairs.

But spokesman Albrecht Funk would not say why Schroeder met Putin.

German media reports said the grainy picture of the pair was taken late on Monday evening after a belated celebration in honour of Schroeder’s 70th birthday on April 7.

However, the picture has caused a stir among German government representatives.

‘He does not represent the German government,’ a senior German government official said when asked about the pictures.

‘It should be clear to everyone that Mr. Schroeder left active politics some time ago.’

Germany - which relies heavily on Russia for natural gas supplies - has been trying to defuse tensions over Ukraine and is seen as reluctant to ratchet up sanctions against Moscow.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616177/German-government-disowns-former-chancellor-Gerhard-Schroeder-pictured-bear-hug-Putin-despite-tensions-Ukraine.html

[dmail]2014-04-30[/dmail]

I know this should be a serious topic but the photo made me laugh as it appears Schroeder is the huggee rather than the hugger, which in these legalistic times surely makes a difference. He also has that desperate expression on his face which proclaims, "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!"

The German government should not comment about the relationship between a former politician who works for the interest of the company he is employed with, and President Putin.

It would have been more diplomatic and smarter to stay mum and keep in mind, there is at least one person with a good relationship with him, they may need such a person in the future...

• Like 1

I know this should be a serious topic but the photo made me laugh as it appears Schroeder is the huggee rather than the hugger, which in these legalistic times surely makes a difference. He also has that desperate expression on his face which proclaims, "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!"

I couldn't possibly take it seriously because it's all so ridiculous how some in the West suddenly expects even former leaders such as Schroeder to suddenly isolate someone he obviously admired and was friends with.rolleyes.gif

(Reuters) - Former German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has come under fire in Germany for defending his close friend Vladimir Putin and warning of the perils of isolating the Russian president over the crisis in Ukraine.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/27/us-ukraine-russia-schroeder-idUSBREA2Q16220140327

Edited by Asiantravel

Even more blatant and pathetic anti-Putin propaganda than usual from a servile Tory rag whose journalists (sic) probably can't even spell objectivity, let alone practice it.

No wonder newspapers are dying.

Edited by Krataiboy

Don't take it seriously. They are only politicans doing and saying what politicians do.

Slam one of their own, for the publicity, but, behind the scenes, business as usual.

Yes Sir, Mr Putin Sir. More of your lovely oil and gas, bitte.

We just cannot dig our own highly polluting brown coal fast enough, Mr Putin, Sir.