Why do so many TV users dislike Thailand so much and yet stay?

beb

We all, love, Thailand.......Thailand doesn't love us.

I know this will annoy, but i believe it's true: The second part of your statement is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

How painful it must be for you to be here, assuming you really believe what you said. Feel sorry.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is chocked full of foreign owned businesses and investors and foreign managers and people who have gained permanent residence.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Perhaps you can enlighten me about this huge number of permanent residents, as I haven't met any of them yet. Everyone I know has to renew his visa at least once a year.

As for businesses, I am aware there are multinational companies here, but I am not on that scale yet.

As for successful small businesses, owned by foreigners, I haven't encountered them, although I assume some do exist. And most are either registered on the wife's name, or some Thai partner's name, or otherwise work outside the law, and this is just not my style...

There are enough places where they let you do business and compete fairly, without putting all those obstacles in front of you...

I listed the permanent residence link above. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

The American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand has 700 members. I don't know how many the British Chamber has but they have been here since the 1940's so I assume a lot.

As far as I know you can own a business but not the land except in some circumstances but that's another discussion. Since I'm an American I use the Treaty of Amity.

I know hundreds of people who own their own business. Take a ride through an industrial estate sometime. An American named Bill did pretty well with a $2,000 loan 30 or so years ago. Now his company is called Minor international I think. It's called Minor because he wasn't 21 when he started the company.

I read the permanent residence thread:

It does not give you the right to work in Thailand, or own land, and actually doesn't give you any real advantages from my POV. You just pay 190K baht and go through many hoops, but at the end of day you have practically the same rights as a guy on retirement or marriage visa.

According to this thread, only 200-300 people per year to go through this process, and it sometimes takes years to be approved (people that done it in 2006, got approved in 2012...).

On the other hand, my cousin, which has a Canadian passport thanks to her mom (which was born there), is now getting a Canadian PR permit for her husband. After he gets it, he will be able to work, own a business, own land, and have similar rights to Canadian citizens, with the exception of voting.

My aunt (the one which was born in Canada), has moved to Vancouver a year ago with her husband. He wasn't born in Canada, but he is now a Canadian citizen thanks to his wife.

As for businesses, I read the info 3+ years ago, when I moved here. The ownership laws, business culture, judicial system, corruption, quality of work force - everything I read led to one conclusion: do your business elsewhere.

But again - if your mind is set to telling us what a great country this is - so be it, to each his own...

But the question isn't whether Thailand is a great country or not, it is why, if you dislike Thailand as much as many people here do, you continue to live here. I've never tried to deny the many problems of Thailand, in spite of some claims that I'm with the Thailand Booster's Club, I'm just trying to understand why people remain while miserable.

Financial reasons: don't have to pay taxes, and the cost of living is about 50% less than my home country.

Saved enough money in the past 3.5 years to live comfortably another 3.5 years.

If the financial reason is gone, I might look for another place, barring some unforeseen incident...

It does not give you the right to work in Thailand, or own land, and actually doesn't give you any real advantages from my POV. You just pay 190K baht and go through many hoops, but at the end of day you have practically the same rights as a guy on retirement or marriage visa.

According to this thread, only 200-300 people per year to go through this process, and it sometimes takes years to be approved (people that done it in 2006, got approved in 2012...).

On the other hand, my cousin, which has a Canadian passport thanks to her mom (which was born there), is now getting a Canadian PR permit for her husband. After he gets it, he will be able to work, own a business, own land, and have similar rights to Canadian citizens, with the exception of voting.

My aunt (the one which was born in Canada), has moved to Vancouver a year ago with her husband. He wasn't born in Canada, but he is now a Canadian citizen thanks to his wife.

As for businesses, I read the info 3+ years ago, when I moved here. The ownership laws, business culture, judicial system, corruption, quality of work force - everything I read led to one conclusion: do your business elsewhere.

But again - if your mind is set to telling us what a great country this is - so be it, to each his own...

Do you know how dumb it is to compare Thailand with Canada?

Wow, you are annoying as an mosquito while trying to sleep, aren't you?

If you have anything relevant to what I wrote - let's hear it. Otherwise - go on with your silly life and let me be...

Whores. Or the ability to meet an attractive women. Or the luxury of having a GF who is half-a-century younger than himself.

Or maybe he doesn't hate Thailand, just the fact that they don't seem to understand that there should be a queue when getting on or off a bus! Or a lift.

And it is not OK to jump out in front of someone walking on the street and then play dead while standing upright. Or block doors.

And maybe he thinks that when he, the customer, is waiting to order a coffee, that he should be acknowledged before the finishing of some food, a gossiping conversation, or just that the standing around and pretending not to see him should have ended about 4 mins ago.

Rant over......passifier.gif

P.S. just to clarify: only the latter 3 paragraphs refer to me, lol

Edited by Water Buffalo
  • Like 1

Do you know how dumb it is to compare Thailand with Canada?

Wow, you are annoying as an mosquito while trying to sleep, aren't you?

If you have anything relevant to what I wrote - let's hear it. Otherwise - go on with your silly life and let me be...

Comparing Canada to Thailand is like comparing a Ferrari to a Jeep. You remind me of an old guy driving along in a jeep mumbling this sure ain't a Ferrari. Of course it's not. The two are not comparable.

I don't think you like me but you would probably admit I'm smarter than the smartest Thai politician. But that sure isn't saying anything. A first year econ student could do a better job with the economy and a kindergarten nurse could improve the sanitation laws. So? Compare the Canadian military with it's protector the USA? Can't? It's because they are not comparable. When comparing things for a reasonable comparison one should compare apples to apples. Canada and Thailand is not apples to apples.

If you want a "real" cesspool, just visit Soho in London. No country is innocent from P4P.

Casting the first stone springs to mind while reading some of the replies on here, and it reminds me that some people despise for the benefit of others what they secretly wish to have in their own life.

Seriously..you think those of us that talk down about certain sides of Thailand really infact secretly wish to have it in our own lives..?

Are you on planet earth or what...?

Laura are you really that naive?

http://rollingout.com/culture/15-religious-leaders-who-were-caught-in-sex-scandals/

15 Religious Leaders Who Were Caught in Sex Scandals

YOu dont think i can walk out my door right this second and get sex? I wouldnt even need to pay..like some.

I could hope into a bar, give a guy a nice smile, whisper in his ear that im horny, and id be on my back (or whatever position i fancy) in a heartbeat.

..no, im not envious that others choose to live a debauched lifestyle. If i wanted it, i could have it.

Stop being so naive.

C'mon, you know this thread isn't about women using P4P.

Besides, I guarantee that when you're a lot younger than 60, overweight and look old, you WON'T be able to get it in that way. No normal guy wants sex with someone looks like granny.

Of course, when you are in that position, you will be able to go to the Carribean and pay for it biggrin.png

Thailand has so much to enjoy.

It also has a very big cesspool which attracts the flies of the world.

Sadly the smell of shit can sometimes permeate and invade the senses, making it hard to enjoy good things when overcome by it.

If you want a "real" cesspool, just visit Soho in London. No country is innocent from P4P.

Casting the first stone springs to mind while reading some of the replies on here, and it reminds me that some people despise for the benefit of others what they secretly wish to have in their own life.

Seriously..you think those of us that talk down about certain sides of Thailand really infact secretly wish to have it in our own lives..?

As it's impossible for any man to understand women, and visa versa, I speak only for men, but yes.

Thailand is chocked full of foreign owned businesses and investors and foreign managers and people who have gained permanent residence.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Perhaps you can enlighten me about this huge number of permanent residents, as I haven't met any of them yet. Everyone I know has to renew his visa at least once a year.

As for businesses, I am aware there are multinational companies here, but I am not on that scale yet.

As for successful small businesses, owned by foreigners, I haven't encountered them, although I assume some do exist. And most are either registered on the wife's name, or some Thai partner's name, or otherwise work outside the law, and this is just not my style...

There are enough places where they let you do business and compete fairly, without putting all those obstacles in front of you...

I listed the permanent residence link above. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

The American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand has 700 members. I don't know how many the British Chamber has but they have been here since the 1940's so I assume a lot.

As far as I know you can own a business but not the land except in some circumstances but that's another discussion. Since I'm an American I use the Treaty of Amity.

I know hundreds of people who own their own business. Take a ride through an industrial estate sometime. An American named Bill did pretty well with a $2,000 loan 30 or so years ago. Now his company is called Minor international I think. It's called Minor because he wasn't 21 when he started the company.

But the question isn't whether Thailand is a great country or not, it is why, if you dislike Thailand as much as many people here do, you continue to live here. I've never tried to deny the many problems of Thailand, in spite of some claims that I'm with the Thailand Booster's Club, I'm just trying to understand why people remain while miserable.

I can only assume you don't read their posts properly. Just because one finds one or more aspects of Thailand poor to bad, does not mean that one is "miserable". If I don't want to have a problem in Thailand, I just walk into our house and close the door.

Back home, even in my house, the ex made my life miserable.

I could make a list of the things that I don't like about Thailand, and then I could make a much longer list of the things I don't like about "home".

To be concise, the main things I do like about LOS are: my wife, pretty girls in short shorts or miniskirts, it's inexpensive, it's warm to hot most of the time and second most important, it's ( so far ) NOT PC.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Just wondering why the female of the species get so uptight when men are enjoying themselves.

That's an unexplainable mystery for men, because, as I said, it's impossible for men to understand women, and visa versa.

However, I can guess why single western women in LOS are uptight. IMO it's because they are not sought after like they were in their own country, and they see western men out with the local women. No man is calling to offer them a free dinner, movies or nightclub in order to possibly get to sleep with them. If they go to a bar or nightclub on their own, no guy is offering to buy their drinks for them. In other words, they have become irrelevant to a western man that wants sex.

I find it rather humerous to the extent that western women in Thailand despise western men that are going out with much younger and very attractive Thai women. I took my Thai GF to Kanchanaburi on a tour, and when we got back to Bkk, a couple of middle aged western women made a big show of saying goodbye to a young western guy on his own, while obviously ignoring me rolleyes.gif .

• Like 1

Perhaps it's not that LOS is "bad" for not giving the same "rights" to people of an alien culture, but that western countries are insane for doing so.

London is certainly not an "English" city any more, given that there are so few "English" people actually living there now. In the NHS hospital I worked at, the number of English people that worked there was a tiny fraction of the staff, and the patient demographic was probably more foreign than British.

According to the news over the past couple of days us British are not to look at the UK as an homogenous mix of different nationalities rather we are now advised to re-think and consider ourselves all the same "race". PC again.

Just another reason to stay in Thailand.

According to the news over the past couple of days us British are not to look at the UK as an homogenous mix of different nationalities rather we are now advised to re-think and consider ourselves all the same "race". PC again.

Just another reason to stay in Thailand.

So true.

Mind you I did find that Britain is hostage to a virulent strain of PC, but now it seems that the patients have taken over the insane asylum.

• Like 1

Just wondering why the female of the species get so uptight when men are enjoying themselves.

That's an unexplainable mystery for men, because, as I said, it's impossible for men to understand women, and visa versa.

However, I can guess why single western women in LOS are uptight. IMO it's because they are not sought after like they were in their own country, and they see western men out with the local women. No man is calling to offer them a free dinner, movies or nightclub in order to possibly get to sleep with them. If they go to a bar or nightclub on their own, no guy is offering to buy their drinks for them. In other words, they have become irrelevant to a western man that wants sex.

I find it rather humerous to the extent that western women in Thailand despise western men that are going out with much younger and very attractive Thai women. I took my Thai GF to Kanchanaburi on a tour, and when we got back to Bkk, a couple of middle aged western women made a big show of saying goodbye to a young western guy on his own, while obviously ignoring me rolleyes.gif .

LOL, there's even a blog or two about the issue of western women having trouble getting laid here. Some of them try the lesbian route, but the majority of those abandon that and admit they much prefer having sex with men. Apparently they don't last too long in Thailand, the really horny ones anyway. Sometimes they'll have a fling with an adventurous Thai guy, but he never calls back. Bleak state of affairs for them, indeed, because as we all know, there are some very horny women back Stateside, and I'm sure it's the same for them here.

• Like 1

LOL, there's even a blog or two about the issue of western women having trouble getting laid here. Some of them try the lesbian route, but the majority of those abandon that and admit they much prefer having sex with men. Apparently they don't last too long in Thailand, the really horny ones anyway. Sometimes they'll have a fling with an adventurous Thai guy, but he never calls back. Bleak state of affairs for them, indeed, because as we all know, there are some very horny women back Stateside, and I'm sure it's the same for them here.

Never even look at western women now.

As it's impossible for any man to understand women, and visa versa, I speak only for men, but yes.

You don't speak for all men. You certainly don't speak for me.

• Like 1

However, I can guess why single western women in LOS are uptight. IMO it's because they are not sought after like they were in their own country, and they see western men out with the local women.

LOL listen to you two jokers

Sitting there putting your micro-world to rights while ignoring the fact anyone with even a toe immersed in the real world knows without a shadow of a doubt that 99% Western women won't even acknowledge the existence of the typical Western man over here.

They didn't back in the West even when you were younger, fitter and had more going for you, so why on earth would they now?

Never even look at western women now.

Wow, I can hear a legion of Western women slitting their wrists right now

laugh.png

And how would you know..?

You don't speak for all men. You certainly don't speak for me.

Where do I say that I speak for ALL men?

OOh a "blog or two"... gotta be true then.

whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Jesus guys, does being so deluded make you feel good?

Ok take a moment to consider what western women in her right mind would actually want the average monger western males that come here. Cmon now, be honest with yourself.

Now second, consider what western women who CHOOSES to live in thailand (such as myself) would do so willingly if they were not enjoying themselves here?

Personally i have no shortage of male attention (of all nationalities).

Im talking regular guys here btw...not ones who are walking down the street looking like a limb might fall off at any given moment, and who has a curled up venomous look on his face if he sees a western women (could the chip BE any bigger..!).

Get a grip....

<the average monger western males that come here.>

Which is? They range from good looking young fit guys looking to score with as many girls as possible in a two week holiday to old crocks that like living where it's hot, with a bit of young crumpet thrown in occasionaly.

<who has a curled up venomous look on his face if he sees a western women (could the chip BE any bigger..!).>

There is a reason for that, if you think about it.

I think you are deluding yourself that western women are so desirable. Many western men want nothing to do with them, preferring SE Asian/ Chinese women.

There are several web sites devoted to why men hate western women. I personally don't hate western women, and have some really good female platonic friends, but western women on the whole are way to PC for me to be attracted to them.

<i have no shortage of male attention (of all nationalities).>

Which proves nothing. If any woman, of any nationality is even half way attractive, and giving it away for free, of course they are going to get male attention. That goes without saying.

However, when a woman reaches a certain age, they aren't going to be gettin' it any more. Just in case you didn't realise it, mongers aren't going out with old women. However, back in the west, if an old guy is rich or powerful enough, he has NO problem getting young women to sleep with him, which is exactly what the monger is in LOS ( rich enough ).

Carly Simon - The Right Thing To Do

And it used to be for a while

That the river flowed right to my door

Making me just a little too free

But now the river doesn't seem to stop here anymore

• Like 1

Personally i have no shortage of male attention (of all nationalities).

Yeah, right.

LOL, there's even a blog or two about the issue of western women having trouble getting laid here.

But most of the western men only get laid here with prostitutes, and say they are their girlfriends.

• Like 2

LOL, there's even a blog or two about the issue of western women having trouble getting laid here.

But most of the western men only get laid here with prostitutes, and say they are their girlfriends.

Ah, but back "home" where sex is allegedly "free" if a western "girlfriend" doesn't sleep with her "boyfriend" for any reason, she won't be the "girlfriend" for long, LOL.

Ah, but back "home" where sex is allegedly "free" if a western "girlfriend" doesn't sleep with her "boyfriend" for any reason, she won't be the "girlfriend" for long, LOL.

More nonsense from you

"For any reason"??!!

Seriously??

I'm stunned you didn't retire here a virgin.