Why do so many TV users dislike Thailand so much and yet stay?

beb

Then why did you comment? Why not live your own life not mine? No offense. But seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Because there is a distinct difference between our two positions:

If I see hate speech I report it using the report function provided, and in my report I state why I have made my report. - End of story.

You, and you are not alone in this, shout down people expressing views you simply don't like and in doing so you restrict other members expressing their frustrations about life in Thailand within one of the only forums open for them to do so.

No fair minded person can possibly claim that life in Thailand is a bed of roses, there are real problems with life in Thailand that expats face on a daily basis, some trivial, some very serious.

The more an expat commits to life in Thailand the more these problems can become something they need to discuss.

A parent of a young child who can only afford local Thai schooling, is of course going to be concerned about educational standards in schools.

A parent who's child is injured at at Thai schools is of course going to concerned about safety at that school - if faced with denial and dodging responsibility from the staff, of course that parent is going to be concerned about accountability.

The list goes on, doing business in Thailand, building a home in Thailand, relationships in Thailand, getting involved with the law in Thailand.

Real concerns of real people.

If you feel a comment is breaking the rules - report it.

But please don't profess to be the arbiter of what other expats can and cannot say about life in Thailand. By doing so you are doing a expats who trying their best to make a good life in Thailand a disservice - denying them the opportunity to express frustrations about a place they have committed to, may be raising a family (perhaps raising other people's children) - people make the best of life in a place they very likely love.

Because with commitment comes a sense of ownership, belonging and responsibility - the faults start to matter.

These are the people you are denying a voice.

Pay them less attention and live you own life. You'll be doing them and yourself a favour.

Commitment allows for expressing critizism. Edited by benalibina

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Not quite.

Rather commitment extends the range and depth of concerns.

I recall very well a member renowned for ranting against anyone expressing a negative view about Thailand squirming in post after post trying to not answer the question 'Do you accept that somebody might make a negative comment out of a genuine concern for Thailand and Thai people?'.

He incidentally has disappeared of late.

Because there is a distinct difference between our two positions:

If I see hate speech I report it using the report function provided, and in my report I state why I have made my report. - End of story.

You, and you are not alone in this, shout down people expressing views you simply don't like and in doing so you restrict other members expressing their frustrations about life in Thailand within one of the only forums open for them to do so.

No fair minded person can possibly claim that life in Thailand is a bed of roses, there are real problems with life in Thailand that expats face on a daily basis, some trivial, some very serious.

The more an expat commits to life in Thailand the more these problems can become something they need to discuss.

A parent of a young child who can only afford local Thai schooling, is of course going to be concerned about educational standards in schools.

A parent who's child is injured at at Thai schools is of course going to concerned about safety at that school - if faced with denial and dodging responsibility from the staff, of course that parent is going to be concerned about accountability.

The list goes on, doing business in Thailand, building a home in Thailand, relationships in Thailand, getting involved with the law in Thailand.

Real concerns of real people.

If you feel a comment is breaking the rules - report it.

But please don't profess to be the arbiter of what other expats can and cannot say about life in Thailand. By doing so you are doing a expats who trying their best to make a good life in Thailand a disservice - denying them the opportunity to express frustrations about a place they have committed to, may be raising a family (perhaps raising other people's children) - people make the best of life in a place they very likely love.

Because with commitment comes a sense of ownership, belonging and responsibility - the faults start to matter.

These are the people you are denying a voice.

Pay them less attention and live you own life. You'll be doing them and yourself a favour.

Your premise that I shout down or deny anyone a voice is false. We all post under the same rules.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Sounds to me that you would like to factor in truth or motivation into degrading or overly negative.

OK by me. But I'm not the person to talk to about it.

I am concerned that criticizing Thailand will become a self fufilling prophecy. Someone said if you think you can do a thing or can't do a thing you are right.

I feel you fall on the side of cursing the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

I feel you fall on the side of cursing the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

I've made my views very clear, they include resorting to the use of the report view if posts are grossly offensive.

Otherwise, I'm in favour of people being to express what opinion they wish. Positive, Negative or Indifferent... because I know life is a mixture of Positive, Negative and Indifferent experiences.

AND..... Because I can get out of bed, enjoy my day exactly as I find it without being at all affected by the opinions others have of how they find their day.

Try it, you might find its not a self fulfilling prophecy that bothers you but your own attachment to telling others the limits of the views you wish to allow them.

Don't let other people's views bother you .... live your own life... Not theirs.

I've made my views very clear, they include resorting to the use of the report view if posts are grossly offensive.

Otherwise, I'm in favour of people being to express what opinion they wish. Positive, Negative or Indifferent... because I know life is a mixture of Positive, Negative and Indifferent experiences.

AND..... Because I can get out of bed, enjoy my day exactly as I find it without being at all affected by the opinions others have of how they find their day.

Try it, you might find its not a self fulfilling prophecy that bothers you but your own attachment to telling others the limits of the views you wish to allow them.

Don't let other people's views bother you .... live your own life... Not theirs.

When I post on GuesthouseVisa.com I will scrupulously conform to your posting guidelines.

Edited by thailiketoo

When I post on GuesthouseVisa.com I will scrupulously conform to your posting guidelines.

Given up on the intellectual debate then.

Given up on the intellectual debate then.

First we would have to agree on the rules. Don't get me wrong I like your rules. As you wrote, "

Otherwise, I'm in favour of people being to express what opinion they wish. Positive, Negative or Indifferent... because I know life is a mixture of Positive, Negative and Indifferent experiences."

Those are not the rules I use for debate. I use, "11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

So I'm afraid we are at an impasse. Sorry.

Those are not the rules I use for debate. I use, "11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

No we are not at an impasse, you've finally cottoned on to the rules. Now all you have to do is use the report button instead of shouting people down.

Within a short time of making a report you'll know if you interpretation of a post breaking their rules is correct or not - either way freeing you to enjoy the rest of your day rather than prowling the forum looking for stuff that offends you.

Alternatively, to return to an argument you made later, you could set up ThailiketooVisa.com and enjoy complete control over what is and is not allowed to be said.

Step away from the keyboard and ask yourself 'Is my day any different because of what someone else said about their day?'

Whatever the answer to that is, ask yourself about your own motives and actions. Spending life telling people what is/is not acceptable for them to say is a very strange way to enjoy life anywhere let alone Thailand.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Funny this, I know a thai that has lived in Europe for 10 years and now he thinks Thailand stinks, and when he visits family he only stay for a short time.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

They cant "live their own life", because "thailiketoo" and all the other Thai apologists have not got a life to live

No we are not at an impasse, you've finally cottoned on to the rules. Now all you have to do is use the report button instead of shouting people down.

Within a short time of making a report you'll know if you interpretation of a post breaking their rules is correct or not - either way freeing you to enjoy the rest of your day rather than prowling the forum looking for stuff that offends you.

Alternatively, to return to an argument you made later, you could set up ThailiketooVisa.com and enjoy complete control over what is and is not allowed to be said.

Step away from the keyboard and ask yourself 'Is my day any different because of what someone else said about their day?'

Whatever the answer to that is, ask yourself about your own motives and actions. Spending life telling people what is/is not acceptable for them to say is a very strange way to enjoy life anywhere let alone Thailand.

You wrote, "Spending life telling people what is/is not acceptable for them to say is a very strange way to enjoy life anywhere let alone Thailand."

In case you didn't realize it you are telling me what is or is not acceptable about my life in your opinion.

You are just bickering. Bye.

Edited by thailiketoo

They cant "live their own life", because "thailiketoo" and all the other Thai apologists have not got a life to live

Munger, you are clearly obsessed with attacking these so-called "Thai apologists"...or pretty much anyone who would defend the Thais or speak positively of Thailand. That seems to be all you ever do. If anyone should "get a life," it would be you.

Munger, you are clearly obsessed with attacking these so-called "Thai apologists"...or pretty much anyone who would defend the Thais or speak positively of Thailand. That seems to be all you ever do. If anyone should "get a life," it would be you.

Wrong, "thailiketoo" has approx. 4,000 posts, in 7 months. I have approx. 400 posts in 3 years. That is because I have a life. It is the Thai apologists that should get a life, and stop trying to defend things that even Thais dont want to defend, ie corruption, bus/road accidents, etc. etc.

• Like 1

Wrong, "thailiketoo" has approx. 4,000 posts, in 7 months. I have approx. 400 posts in 3 years. That is because I have a life. It is the Thai apologists that should get a life, and stop trying to defend things that even Thais dont want to defend, ie corruption, bus/road accidents, etc. etc.

You are not telling the truth. Please post proof that I have ever defended corruption, bus/road accidents and the like. With 4000 posts they should be easy to find.biggrin.png Unless you are telling a lie.

I've seen many 'apologists' posting on Tv, never thought of Thailiketoo as one of them.

His posts seem fairly even handed to me.