Trying to Build Home in Issan, on a Slab! What a Nightmare!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

Never heard of this before. The wife has built a few places and the only charges have been small govt charges.

Latest extension on an established commercial building in a town cost B4,000 to the Tessaban. That was the cost for the tessaban architect to draw up plans and included planning permission.

Our local tessaban has free building plans available to anyone.

Crossy has free house plans on this website http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html His website includes a link to the Thai govt website http://www.dpt.go.th/download/PW/house_model/framehome.html which can be a bit hit and miss at times.

• Like 1

DP25, on 30 Apr 2014 - 11:36, said:DP25, on 30 Apr 2014 - 11:36, said:
QuoteQuote

I have shown them all of the 7 Homes I have Built in Australia, including in Port Douglas which has survived Cyclones, I have told them that if Thailand ever had a Cyclone, they would be wiped off the Map, I may as well talk to the hand.

Thailand does get cyclones, they cause a lot of damage down in the south along the coast, but Isaan is pretty far inland. They like to build on poles because of floods, which you may remember from 2011 is a serious threat that can result in stagnant water a meter or two deep for weeks on end.

In days gone by, at least in Isaan, houses were built high off the ground for a few reasons, flooding, storage, sleeping outside when hot, and often to house the water buffalo.

Edited by Rorri

onionluke, on 30 Apr 2014 - 11:39, said:

The workers like to have the roof on before the slab is poured to protect them from the hot sun whilst toiling.

More like they have no idea how to layout a slab. The "Thai" way leaves, after curing, a very small gap between the slab, the walls and pillars this allows termites in, they also do not put any water barrier down, almost every, brick and concrete Thai house I've been in shows, after a short period, signs of rising damp.

Find a house in the region you think looks like a good job,knock on the door and ask who built it.

Thais are pretty friendly bunch most times I've found.

I couldn't live in a Western House again, but that's me, so you'll pay more for everything, but I have seen some great places built, oddly all these farmers sitting around the open fires often work on construction sites and have some decent ideas, not all,, no one has.

Good luck, best places I have seen oddly owned by Thais with some houses that in Oz would win an award for originality.

• Like 1

Raised houses are good for two things ventilation as well as the potential for the land to flood , my neighbour built his property on a slab he is sick to death of finding snakes in his laundry room and kitchen my property is raised I have never had any problems with unwanted guests there is a method to there madness but it's your house build as you want and good luck

• Like 1

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry mate, I really can't help it!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder who is getting a cut of the farangs 50k.................coffee1.gif

I am in the process of negotiating a deal with these folks, who are a European managed building company in Thailand They will build to your exact specifications. We are building in Isaan, but our house is 1/2 meter above ground with a block foundation and concrete slab floor. It looks like they may be the answer to your dilemma. You might want to check out this link.

http://www.thaihousebuilder.com/

Edited by The Usual Suspect

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

Ignore those on here who know nothing about Isaan village life. The village boss IS the boss. You can cross him if you want, but it will never be forgotten, and it might well come back to bite your ass a long time later.

• Like 2

The village boss is a thief! don't pay him 1 baht.

And yes they want to build "high", the higher, the more important...is how they think (like Chinese). I built a few years ago, also in Isaan and faced this same problem; they didn't listen but I made them cut the poles to a reasonable height...they didn't appreciate it. When you are building stay around and keep an eye on the works. They don't stick to the plan if you're not in control.

I bought all the materials myself and paid the workers every week. If you're not around they really "take it easy"...Don't allow them to work out their "fantasy", for the roof of my carport I made this mistake...it took one week to make it and the roof was leaking...and to high too. Think and inform about flood during the rainy season. I put up the land 90cm (above the road-level and this seemed more than well ).

Where do you build?

Good Luck!

It sounds like The Usual Suspect and I might be neighbors. I too am building a house in Isaan that's 1/2 meter above ground with a block foundation and concrete slab floor. The developer lives across the street in the same little gated community, I've been in a few houses there that are a couple years old, they seem to be well-constructed and our house is progressing nicely. There was a push to get the roof on before the rainy season so they could work protected from the sun and rain and could complete it on time but they managed to meet the deadline.

I wanted a higher foundation like they have on the single story houses and at first they said they couldn't but they did it anyway.

My advice would be: Bulid it the way you want it and tell the inlaws to wait until it's finished before they form an opinion, and bring the workers cold drinks.

If you are paying for it...build it as you like.

The fixation with raising land...even when not needed is just crazy here......think everyone either wants to be higher than everyone else...or the mentality of just follow everyone else....either way crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Trouble is, if one does it guess where the rain water goes........

a chap i knew spent his life savings building a house after first buying the land off mum (why would you do that? it still not 'your' land) he got some great local experts in that could *read* plans so off they went and built it.

........problem was the plan was in feet n inches and not metres.........its the best looking dog kennel in issan now........

• Like 2

Didnt pay our village guy a thing.

If I had time over again, I would rent NOT buy or build, nightmare and only one benefitting is Thai.

why is it better to rent?

Perhaps you haven't been around TV long enough to read the tales of woe from farangs that built a house and the wife/ GF kicks them out. Sad tale but common as the sunrise in LOS.

• Like 1

I'll probably be lambasted for this but anyway I personally reckon a better forum for the sort of challenge that you have, I have found, is the Buriram Expats. I joined it as I am now living in Isaan as well and the practical and sensible advice I have since I joined is excellent and relevant and has never gone off on a tangent.

I think I saw that you have found a builder in Buriram anyway, which I hope convinces you that it is "horses for courses'. Please feel free to PM me if I am still allowed to be a member of TVF after suggesting that this forum is not necessarily for everyone but does provide a service if certain areas.

Regards & good luck

Back in the late 90's, an acquaintance began building a home outside of Udon and insisted on a cellar. Apparently, he had testicles, because the villagers told him it wasn't a good idea, but he insisted. Mid-way through the build and after the first few weeks of rainy season, he understood his idea wasn't a good one.

My wife and I have built a full-size house and a mid-size bungalow.......years apart....without paying off any village folks. The house still stands after 17 years....the bungalow after 1.

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

normal for him maybe, but i would offer this repeatedly