Trying to Build Home in Issan, on a Slab! What a Nightmare!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Back in the late 90's, an acquaintance began building a home outside of Udon and insisted on a cellar. Apparently, he had testicles, because the villagers told him it wasn't a good idea, but he insisted. Mid-way through the build and after the first few weeks of rainy season, he understood his idea wasn't a good one.

My wife and I have built a full-size house and a mid-size bungalow.......years apart....without paying off any village folks. The house still stands after 17 years....the bungalow after 1.

Thats more about the builders than the aim....what do you think about all the basement carparks in Bangkok in swamp country ?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

Go buy some land atleast 30k away from family......or you will be sorry.

• Like 2

Here we go....

You say this..'.I may as well talk to the hand'.

Correctclap2.gif... you may as well.thumbsup.gif...Welcome to building in Issan!!

Building in the village without a professional Thai builder is very very similar to belting your head into a concrete wall. Very painful.

DON'T use these so called village tradesman who say they can do the work....They are full of crap. Waste of time, money, and you will end up hating them, your blood pressure will sky rocket, then hate the village and the idiots that live there, and make you wish you never wanted a house there. Forget trying to build a western style house out there, ever. It won't work. Oh btw, your wife will likely insist these guys she hired know what they're doing, then you will be angry with her, creating more angst, causing you to be convinced 100% all Thais hate westerners, and even your wifes on their side not yours.

Plans!!...HAAAAA...what plans?...welcome to Issan, the only plan there is get lao kao, and drink it, then go work for you the falang and lie to your face, they are terrible liars mind you village 'tradesman'...

After over 20 years of building here in Australia, building a house in an Issan village makes me think why did I start the job? I thought I could, and not that I can't, it's just a slug everyday.

It's too late for me now, come too far, although have considered knocking it down, but you still have time to re asses your build plan.

In hinds sight, I should have just bought a Thai lanna house and dropped it completely built on the land, then hooked up the electrical and plumbing, job done!, no stress, no village idiots, and a beautiful square house. I mean that's all we want right?

Here's a pic of our bricklayers. All drinking at the end of the day. Most wouldn't show up daily, just when they needed a bit more money from sucker falang me. I sacked most, knocked down walls and so it went like that until I could have killed someone. I was fuming. My neighbour Henry threw a brick at one. I just drank a lot of beer.

Anyway, that's our story, perhaps yours will be different, but I really doubt it mate.

I do love an honest post...the Thai apologist are having a hissy-fit reading this...thanks again...!

• Like 2

onionluke, on 30 Apr 2014 - 11:39, said:

The workers like to have the roof on before the slab is poured to protect them from the hot sun whilst toiling.

More like they have no idea how to layout a slab. The "Thai" way leaves, after curing, a very small gap between the slab, the walls and pillars this allows termites in, they also do not put any water barrier down, almost every, brick and concrete Thai house I've been in shows, after a short period, signs of rising damp.

I gave up with all Thai builders even with limited experience I built a much better house than they ever could, did the lot myself.

• Like 1

Paying 50,000 to a village elder for permission to build a home... they must think you are a complete idiot.

I would recommend

1. get away from the in-laws and extended family

2. rent, don't build

Yes rent. Only a fool would pay the 50000 and build

If your going the slab way, make it mighty thick...........thumbsup.gif

That's good advice - and make sure there is more than a "little bit" of aggragate in the pour whistling.gif , as opposed to the usual slurry.

I saw a slab being poured once - at first I thought they were cleaning out the concrete mixer as the liquid emanating from it was as far from concrete as you could get. However, it was self levelling. w00t.gif

• Like 1

onionluke, on 30 Apr 2014 - 11:39, said:

The workers like to have the roof on before the slab is poured to protect them from the hot sun whilst toiling.

More like they have no idea how to layout a slab. The "Thai" way leaves, after curing, a very small gap between the slab, the walls and pillars this allows termites in, they also do not put any water barrier down, almost every, brick and concrete Thai house I've been in shows, after a short period, signs of rising damp.

I gave up with all Thai builders even with limited experience I built a much better house than they ever could, did the lot myself.

Great stuff to hear.......It isnt that hard to do a better job than you pay too much for, hey?

There are many countries as hot if not hotter then Thailand, Vietnam for instance, here thay build many houses on slab, but as I have also pointed out they have been occupied by Ferang, French Belgian USA etc so have learnt other ways of many things, Thailand has not had this advantage, and I have told them in no uncertain terms, as I am paying WILL be my way, but still the Blank Stare!

I was told this morning that I will not find a builder in Issan who will build for me, but have found one in Buriram, who not only reads plans but has email also! Bonus.

But the Village Boss says I must have his approval and pay him 50,000Bt, is this normal?

Ignore those on here who know nothing about Isaan village life. The village boss IS the boss. You can cross him if you want, but it will never be forgotten, and it might well come back to bite your ass a long time later.

Oh well with an approach like this the op may as well hand over his ATM cards and all his account details as well

As I said early on in this thread grow some testicles

i've been around and one thing i took very serious from day 1: i do (most) things my way. period. unless the thai way actually is smarter/superior.

i respect thai people and thai customs but anything that involves my personal life(-style) here will not be dictated by thai. if i like sour pineapple it's my choice and they can stuff their salt/sugar/chilly up theirs. if i like to sleep til 11 am it's my choice. if i wanna peel off the skin of a farang (the fruit type that is) it's my choice. if i wanna take a sunbath and get "dam" it's my choice. if i wanna sleep alone in the forest it's my choice (i don't believe in ghosts), etc.

i really don't get it why people come here, spending loads of money on other people (wife and a bunch of freeloaders) and then let those other people dictate their lives. it is silly and one of the main reasons farang are called "stupid farang". don't take this shit. thai are master in checking out how far they can go. in fact, i actually like that mentality but it's equally important to show them your limits. pecking order you know...

From their perspective, you are building the house for them so they probably don't understand why you are so opinionated.

this is very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they probably wont want op around when its done.................lol.

• Like 1

Here we go....

You say this..'.I may as well talk to the hand'.

Correctclap2.gif... you may as well.thumbsup.gif...Welcome to building in Issan!!

Building in the village without a professional Thai builder is very very similar to belting your head into a concrete wall. Very painful.

DON'T use these so called village tradesman who say they can do the work....They are full of crap. Waste of time, money, and you will end up hating them, your blood pressure will sky rocket, then hate the village and the idiots that live there, and make you wish you never wanted a house there. Forget trying to build a western style house out there, ever. It won't work. Oh btw, your wife will likely insist these guys she hired know what they're doing, then you will be angry with her, creating more angst, causing you to be convinced 100% all Thais hate westerners, and even your wifes on their side not yours.

Plans!!...HAAAAA...what plans?...welcome to Issan, the only plan there is get lao kao, and drink it, then go work for you the falang and lie to your face, they are terrible liars mind you village 'tradesman'...

After over 20 years of building here in Australia, building a house in an Issan village makes me think why did I start the job? I thought I could, and not that I can't, it's just a slug everyday.

It's too late for me now, come too far, although have considered knocking it down, but you still have time to re asses your build plan.

In hinds sight, I should have just bought a Thai lanna house and dropped it completely built on the land, then hooked up the electrical and plumbing, job done!, no stress, no village idiots, and a beautiful square house. I mean that's all we want right?

Here's a pic of our bricklayers. All drinking at the end of the day. Most wouldn't show up daily, just when they needed a bit more money from sucker falang me. I sacked most, knocked down walls and so it went like that until I could have killed someone. I was fuming. My neighbour Henry threw a brick at one. I just drank a lot of beer.

Anyway, that's our story, perhaps yours will be different, but I really doubt it mate.

A very good post

• Like 1

Change the village... You don't need approval, never pay 50K to anyone, they will keep coming for more

Village Boss ? which one, villages have many "bosses" SAO ? or ... ?

Stay at your building site, otherwise it will be build their way...

I am planning to build a soil house (baan din).

Check this out:

Chiang Mai

www.pupunthailand.org

http://www.punpunthailand.org/?page_id=887

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0FkwRux7rw

Well he did say " it doesnt take ability"................. i couldnt possibly say anymore

Thanks for sharing...had to watch the entire clip...always wondered how those earth homes have been built for centuries...

That's good advice - and make sure there is more than a "little bit" of aggragate in the pour whistling.gif , as opposed to the usual slurry.

I saw a slab being poured once - at first I thought they were cleaning out the concrete mixer as the liquid emanating from it was as far from concrete as you could get. However, it was self levelling. w00t.gif

Davo....Heed these words from GSXRNZ.....That is exactly what happened to me...BUT ONLY ONCE !....My main slab is now 8 inches thick, as i made them pour it again. Funny enough the floor turned out level with the extra concrete

I am trying to build a home in Issan Ferang Style with a touch of Thai, high ceilings, long eaves etc, BUT I am being told by everybody you MUST use poles and Cement Blocks, no Slab floor done later.

Every body is in the act, Mama, Sister, Brother inlaw, Village Boss, Potential Builders, who I do not think can read a Plan,

, why do they build these houses on poles all the same but maybe higher then your next door neighbor,5 Meter poles,etc how do the oldies get up these steep stairs. They also bring more sand in so that any drainage goes into next door, why do the neighbors put up with it ?

A cry for help please guys, why am I being told what to do by people who still cook on open fires, when Thailand has the highest incidence of Lung Complaints, in the world ! I have shown them all of the 7 Homes I have Built in Australia, including in Port Douglas which has survived Cyclones, I have told them that if Thailand ever had a Cyclone, they would be wiped off the Map, I may as well talk to the hand.

My suggestion grow a pair of testicles

Although your suggestion may have some merit, it appears to lack constructive suggestions as well as a degree of civility.

Davo....Heed these words from GSXRNZ.....That is exactly what happened to me...BUT ONLY ONCE !....My main slab is now 8 inches thick, as i made them pour it again. Funny enough the floor turned out level with the extra concrete

why on earth do you need it 8 inch thick. surely you have a ring beam and then a slab about 4 inches thick all poured at the same time

mate, due to the amount of fill they put on the land before building they need to have what is equivent to deep peerage/floating slab in Australia so that the house doesnt sink and has foundations on something solid. Are you also looking at a truss roof with framed walls so that there are not cement coloumns all through the house and more open style rooms. Have to admit I hate the concrete columns as it restricts what you can do with the rooms, roof trusses let you have bigger rooms

Why not make a 'floating structure' for a foundation, whether or not you are floating on water or not? Then skirt it to block out the floats.

If I had time over again, I would rent NOT buy or build, nightmare and only one benefitting is Thai.

Thought about that idea recently for the inland areas of Thailand. If your 'house' was 'floating capable' it might have made out better in those really bad floods they experienced this year. I'm over here now and I see many villages that experienced really high waters as the result of the dams up north having to release waters to lessen their overwheming loads....and many facilities that were located on the lakes formed by those dams.

Also since foreigners can't own land in Thailand, many times they build a house there and have to give it up for a total lose as they don't own the land it is built on. (in Thailand foreigners can't own the land, only with majority Thai nationals...girl-friend, wife, family) Now if the 'house' was mobile...as in floatable, or sectional...or....they just might salvage part of their investment in the event of a break-up....and it happens quite often in Thailand

Besides if your house could 'float' you might have this garden/pond scene without all of the foundation problems associated with being right next to water,...and you could rise and fall with the flood water much like a spud barge, or floating docks at a marina.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/145005-post23.html

I think you could adapt this same idea to a floating foundation....a prefab house structure onto a floating platform

I am in the process of negotiating a deal with these folks, who are a European managed building company in Thailand They will build to your exact specifications. We are building in Isaan, but our house is 1/2 meter above ground with a block foundation and concrete slab floor. It looks like they may be the answer to your dilemma. You might want to check out this link.

http://www.thaihousebuilder.com/

Now I like this approach. I've thought about the same idea to market 'floating capable homes/cottages' in Thailand

why do they build these houses on poles

I know of high set houses near the Khmer border including some built in the past 10 years that are done that way for security.

In the not too distant past villages suffered from cross border raids by armed gangs. At the top of the staircase these houses have big metal grilles that close down flat in line with the floor to prevent unwanted entry.

I would not build on a slab, unless it is a very deep one. The soil here is more sand than soil. So very soft, expect a lot of movement/ settlement when complete.

jb1

Jeezus wept. What a bunch of depressing posts, from the OP to the majority of whinging replies. This no good, that no good, Thais not got a clue. Rip off. Builders drink at the end of a working day (!?) blah blah.

Are any of you actually happy here?

(house built in 2005 and still standing, and have seen lots of well built homes out in the sticks).

If you are not, why are you still here?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, think a daft post..............facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I allready build a home here 2 years ago , but the smoke around me force me to leave somewhere in time!

In the meantime I bought a 3 m gasmask because some super wise farnmer burn Up there Field 2 km ago!

When i walk with my Gasmask Beat the Fire , for a silent protest People maybe believe Iam a man from another world maybe ding thong or what ever!

Indonesians build much more higher

Then here, and half a lot of steps!

If I angry about the smoke my wife's says you think to much don't be so sensitive, we have a handful people here with nearly 100 years old and the also not die!

Not think to much my lovkey far rang the time will heal the wounds!

What makes me sad is the rising number of farang homes in the village ,emty no people inside

Farang go and not come back !

The ex wife try to sale the 3 million building but no customer , no one want buy !

But the also not let local nabours live inside , living in or under the wood house ,we all must think the worst case scenario can hit everyone!

Then our builded Homes are a part of building history or a ghost house where only live spiders inside for free!