Thai Driver License: 2nd five year renewal

I am on to my 2nd 5 year Thai Drivers License renewal. I would like to know requirement of testing and documents?

Do I need to take that test again where I measure distance between candles and step on a wooden box when I see a green light?? (last time the box was not bolted in and when I slammed on the breaks it shot a few feet ahead of me, which result in failure and a 30 minute wait to retake the test). In Ubon they said I only had to sit for a training, but my wife's house registration is in Phuket.

Also do I need anything beside my passport, current un-expired thai drivers license and certificate of current residence?

I am on to my 2nd 5 year Thai Drivers License renewal. I would like to know requirement of testing and documents?

Do I need to take that test again where I measure distance between candles and step on a wooden box when I see a green light?? (last time the box was not bolted in and when I slammed on the breaks it shot a few feet ahead of me, which result in failure and a 30 minute wait to retake the test). In Ubon they said I only had to sit for a training, but my wife's house registration is in Phuket.

Also do I need anything beside my passport, current un-expired thai drivers license and certificate of current residence?

When I did mine in Rayong, eye tests only and a road safety video

Paper work wise.....PP, expired 5 year licence and work permit

When I did mine in Rayong, eye tests only and a road safety video

Paper work wise.....PP, expired 5 year licence and work permit

In Phuket, did eye and reaction test, watched road safety video, supplied expired 5 year license and Work Permit.

When I did mine about 9 months ago for the second 5 years I had to see a film with English subtitles, do a eye and color test along with a reaction test. Also it was a requirement that you wore long pants no shorts.

When I did mine about 9 months ago for the second 5 years I had to see a film with English subtitles, do a eye and color test along with a reaction test. Also it was a requirement that you wore long pants no shorts.

No shorts - will remember that. Also I guess I was referring to the reaction test (watching candles etc.) in Phuket.

And I guess expired or not expired license - still need to go through reaction test, video and eye test with long pants?

I also have switch to a 1 year multiple entry visa (non-immigrant Thai family) - is that acceptable to apply for driver's license renewal?

No shorts - will remember that. Also I guess I was referring to the reaction test (watching candles etc.) in Phuket.

And I guess expired or not expired license - still need to go through reaction test, video and eye test with long pants?

I also have switch to a 1 year multiple entry visa (non-immigrant Thai family) - is that acceptable to apply for driver's license renewal?

If you wait until the license is expired ... by one day is enough ... you will then get six years (less a day) as it goes to your birthday.

• Like 1

I just renewed my Car license a few days ago in Fang, Chiangmai.

I had to do the 'stamp on the brake' test... and the 'align the two poles' test ... and the periferal vision test... then I had to sit through an hour of lecture and videos ...then I had to do the e-test on their video game machine ...30 questions. I chose to do it in Thai and got 23 out of 30 ..a pass.

Perhaps some of the steps were given because my old license was out of date by over a year (forgot to check since when i was a monk I didn't drive.)

A non-o visa will allow you you get a 5 year licence, I got that in Pattaya when I switched from 1 year to 5 years with that visa.

In Pattaya no long pants needed but do dress a bit nicely and be polite, it all helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to get my license in Phuket. It was quite hassle free. Note that you must arrive before 9:30AM. First you take the reaction test. No more candles just a mini traffic light and a breaking test (which they have now bolted to the floor) There is video (in English) starts at 10am. Very boring but informative. Then you go downstairs around 11am. Pay 550 Baht for a renewal (5 year license) and 110 Baht as a photo fee (??). Make sure to prepare copies of your visa (non-immigrant for 5 year) and copies of passport, entry stamps and TMcard. Most importantly, have original of certificate of residence (issued at immigration for 300 Baht). I was out of there by noon! And staff was very courteous.

I just renewed my 5 year license in Bangkok (Minburi) . Passport, and copies of data page and visa and address verification letter from either embassy or immigration. This was my second renewal. Did same tests as mentioned above and sat through a 45 min video. Took exactly 4 hours counting from arrival time, 08:30 until I received the new license at 12:30. Cost, B605.

Similar to Spaniel's experience, 4 hours today in Chiangmai. Two copies (one for car, one for motorbike licence) of Immigration address letter, passport data page, extension of stay page and last entry/departure card page. 960 baht total fee for the two licences. About an hour of video watching (I seem to have graduated to the Thai version) and a lot of waiting in a quite full (but not overflowing) centre.