Unesco warns Australia over Great Barrier Reef

webfact

Unesco warns Australia over Great Barrier Reef

(BBC) Unesco has threatened to list the Great Barrier Reef as a World Heritage in Danger site, amid controversy over a plan to dump dredged sediment.

Reef authorities granted permission for the dumping in January as part of a project to create one of the world's biggest coal ports.

But scientists have warned that the sediment could smother or poison coral.

Unesco said given "significant threats" to the reef, it should be considered for inclusion on the danger list.

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral structure, rich in marine life. It stretches for more than 2,600km (1,680 miles) along Australia's eastern coast.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27233810

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-01

Mining companies move profit off shore and pays minmal tax but the squeeze is being put on disable people and aged pensioners. And now they want to risk our greatest tourist asset and retirement playground. Criminals.

The biggest mystery is why no government anywhere will ever defend their weakest citizens.

I guess you need to have a heart first.

I think when I retire I will become an activist.

Why wait until you retire?

• Like 2

Between mining, politicians, financial institutions and the elite nothing can or will be protected and no ones rights will be respected, if you have share investments you are part of the problem.

• Like 2

Between mining, politicians, financial institutions and the elite nothing can or will be protected and no ones rights will be respected, if you have share investments you are part of the problem.

This is missed by so many. People who would march in a rally because it looks good and pick up share dividends in coal mining. . .

We are either a part of the problem or part of the solution, but not both.

• Like 2

Australia also has a lot of coal. . . Not good for their squeaky clean image. Is it?

And there has been a massive oil field find, that is potentially big enough to make Australia an exporter.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

The sooner the imbeciles Abbott, Newman and their cronies are out of politics, the better.

just as many fools with short visions voted them in. Everyone looks at today, not tomorrow

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 2

I just saw a 1 hour video which mostly showcased a Uranium mine in South Australia. It takes millions of liters of water/day from some giant aquifer (for free) and radioactive water from the mine - seeps back in via runoff from radioactive tailings. It's the, or one of the largest U mines in the world, and they want to quadruple its size.

Who are UNESCO - just bureaucrats with their snouts in the trough of taxpayers money. Go have a look at the reef, there will always be plenty for everyone. Remember the base of the reef is made up of dead coral that died naturally.