Road-rage Bangkok bus driver lynched, stabbed

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai vigilante activity will be significantly increased. This is what happens when you have in ineffective or nonfunctional police.

This is a sign of extreme stress in society. No compassion, no care, no fear of the law, just revenge and violence..

Not a good omen.

"Not a good omen."

It's a single incident. The only thing it portends is a concentration of Thai Visa drama queens exposing themselves.

tumblr_m8zg1sbcoy1qatq26o1_500-e13774346

You don't have a feeling that Thailand is getting just a little.more violent every month.

Or is it that, it was always that violent, in which case, it was always a bloody violent place?

Neither.

Overall Thailand is not a violent country. There is however a short-fuse undercurrent which does lead to violent incidents.

It is a lawless country which allows violence to break out far too often especially with some instigators that we know only too well.

Vigilante 'justice' is not justice. Yes, the courts are far too lenient with allowing bail and suspended sentences but that's a different matter.

'The bus hit at least two taxis in front of the Gaysorn Plaza ... sped away to the Chidlom intersection and hit a fruit vending cart ... then made a turn down Rajdamri Road and hit another taxi ...'

Geography has never been my strong point, but Gaysorn Plaza to Chidlom should have been taking him away from Rajdamri, so unless he turned into Soi Tonson and did a circuit, he must have u-turned.

Strange thing is, when the real bus drivers cause death and mayhem, they go scott free. (14 or more deaths)

This non bus driver gets lynched, stabbed, and kicked to death. (One serious Injury)

Well, I will just wait for the typical "T.I.T" responses...that explains it.

As savage as this mob's action were, the kid was beaten and stabbed to death, nowhere in other reports does it say he was lynched. But makes yet another nice headline for TV.

Lynch doesn't mean just hanging:

Lynch: To punish (a person) without legal process or authority, especially by hanging, for a perceived offense or as an act of bigotry. So the title fits

http://www.tfd.com/lynch

This is setting a very dangerous precedent where a lynch mob get away scot free, today it this deranged

young man, whose to say that tomorrow it going to be just a normal citizen who would be involve

in a similar accident albeit innocent? would he lynched too? how about a farang being lynched?

where dose it end?

" whose [sic] to say that tomorrow it [sic] going to be just a normal [sic] citizen who would be involve [sic]

in a similar accident albeit innocent? would he [sic] lynched too? how about a farang being lynched?

where dose [sic] it end?"

Outside of your imagination it's a single incident. The border between reality and your delusional imagination seems a bit blurred. Most of your posts seem to verge on the hysterical ... in both senses of the word.

"a similar accident albeit innocent?"

Similar? Stealing a minibus and taking out 12 vehicles and injuring people? Innocent?

Do you sit at your computer trying to manufacture bizarre scenarios to fuel your seemingly permanent outrage?

...In the early hours of 21 March 2006, the shrine was vandalised by a Thai man believed to be mentally ill. After smashing the statue with a hammer, 27-year-old Thanakorn Pakdeepol was himself beaten to death by angry bystanders. Two street sweepers who worked for the Pathum Wan district office were arrested and charged with the fatal beating...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erawan_Shrine

In the news story, it says that "dozens" of citizens were involved in the fatal attack. That's really disturbing. I can see how there might be a few people in the crowd who were so angry and mentally geared to savagely take another human being's life, but when dozens spontaneously get involved like that, it is huge statement about real "Thainess" and a reminder of what a seriously dangerous country this is becoming.

Edited by Brevity

Where were the BIB? Either to stop/limit the carnage the driver was committing, or to prevent the mob from lynching/stabbing him? This incident must have lasted some considerable time, surely at least one BIB must have seen or been aware of it happening.

Useless Pratts!

They were waiting for somebody with a camera to come along so they could be photographed pointing meanfully at something

What you don't understand is that the M/C taxi drivers are the right hand of the Police. They are run by the Police or Military. How do you think they get a corner and operate with impunity? They have to pay. Why do you think they all wear shirts with their number? Because they will be left alone by other M/C taxi drivers. If someone runs a Police road block etc. the Police send the M/C guys to hunt him down. They are the eyes and ears of the Police.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where were the BIB? Either to stop/limit the carnage the driver was committing, or to prevent the mob from lynching/stabbing him? This incident must have lasted some considerable time, surely at least one BIB must have seen or been aware of it happening.

Useless Pratts!

No bribes to collect from a 19 year old lunatic whistling.gif

What you don't understand is that the M/C taxi drivers are the right hand of the Police. They are run by the Police or Military. How do you think they get a corner and operate with impunity? They have to pay. Why do you think they all wear shirts with their number? Because they will be left alone by other M/C taxi drivers. If someone runs a Police road block etc. the Police send the M/C guys to hunt him down. They are the eyes and ears of the Police.

Most of the replies to these kind of topics are by those who simply don't understand the way this society works. They don't understand and immediately criticize to feel better about themselves not knowing what's going on or not speaking Thai or whatever.

• Like 2

Thailand is lawless, It does not even have a Govt. It is descending into anarchy.

no, people are beginning to NOT PUT UP WITH BS.

i have no problems with some public displays of affection.

the young boy touched their lives... so they reached out and touched his.

just imagine the hatred inthe hearts of people for corruption. does a politician dare get caught? no, they will deny,deny, deny.

Most of the replies to these kind of topics are by those who simply don't understand the way this society works. They don't understand and immediately criticize to feel better about themselves not knowing what's going on or not speaking Thai or whatever.

ramulglahumdinger billy poodayypop. humminy heemina hoobbblie booblie. khap.

I've been telling people for years on this forum - if involved in an accident NEVER stop.

So , what to do then , drive to nearest Police station or what ?

the people that killed this driver ,will never be clear who did,, this case will die down unsolved.. either idiot deserved it or not..

When are the public going to realize that the police are there to investigate crimes, and not to prevent them. They can not be everywhere, at all times. Wake up! This is why it is important in the U.S. to be able to own and carry a gun. The tow trucks do not change your tire before it goes flat, but afterwards. Prepare yourself for goodness sake.

• Like 2

Thailand is lawless, It does not even have a Govt. It is descending into anarchy.

My wife, who always professed to love Thailand, now hates it and wants to move out. Anyone want to buy our house? But as I said to her, where can we go to that's as cheap as Thailand but socially and politically stable? I have seen a deterioration in Thailand over the past few years and it seems that it has become a lawless and ungovernable land.

Very sad story, the boy was probably full of yabaa and no driving license , a disaster waiting to happen . I am surprised there are no more tragic events like this.

Edited by balo

I've been telling people for years on this forum - if involved in an accident NEVER stop.

So , what to do then , drive to nearest Police station or what ?

the people that killed this driver ,will never be clear who did,, this case will die down unsolved.. either idiot deserved it or not..

The reply before this (the one beginning "ramulglahumdinger...") makes a lot more sense than your reply. Neeranam makes a very important and valid point, what on earth are you trying to say?

My wife, who always professed to love Thailand, now hates it and wants to move out. Anyone want to buy our house? But as I said to her, where can we go to that's as cheap as Thailand but socially and politically stable? I have seen a deterioration in Thailand over the past few years and it seems that it has become a lawless and ungovernable land.

What are you talking about? This incident wouldn't even make the news in the States. Anyway in the States he probably would have died in a hail of Police gunfire anyway. So what's the difference? If you go postal you deserve to die. Thai people don't kill indiscriminately, you will probably find out later that this guy had a knife or some weapon. Name me one Western country where you can walk around in the city at 3.00 am without fear of your safety. As far as Political Instability it's just growing pains as more and more people are becoming politically aware.

It looks like there's more to this story than meets the eye.

I believe the guy was fleeing for his life, got in the bus and attempted to escape the people coming to kill him.

He couldn't drive which is what caused the resulting madness on the roads, he was being chased by some gang who were intent on killing him and this was his only chance to escape.

The people giving chase caught up with him when he crashed and did what they intended to do to him from the outset...kill him.

Useless Pratts!

No. 1 They were protecting suthep

no. 2 They do not have the experience in chase procedures.

No. 3 Why should they bother?

Strange thing is, when the real bus drivers cause death and mayhem, they go scott free. (14 or more deaths)

This non bus driver gets lynched, stabbed, and kicked to death. (One serious Injury)

Well, I will just wait for the typical "T.I.T" responses...that explains it.

They go free just like their true love suthep. he is walking around free as a bird.

Edited by diehard60

The mob did not murder the driver ,the delivered justice on him .

In a very effective way,congratulations.

No. They murdered him. I hope whoever was responsible is caught and spends a long time in gaol. Mob rule and vigilantism is no justice at all.

To say the least whistling.gif

mob rule and vigilantism are more effective than a failing justice system ,the Ferrari-runner would not be on the loose now ,as 1000 others that bought their way out of justice .This time they were on time ,spotless.

After reading and re-reading the article, the question that nags me is: what happened at the depot ? I can’t help but think that this has to be yet another case of an Asian person losing his screws and going on a killing rampage as a result of repeated frustration and humiliation in his work place. I have seen it happen again and again in Asia (not just Thailand), this ‘pressure-cooker syndrome’, where the violence of the explosion is directly proportional to the amount of accumulated pressure.

The wonderful ‘Land of Smiles’ where (say the travel brochures and Thais themselves) people are so polite, good-humored and soft spoken... the Land of Smiles has a dark side, and more often than not we see its scary face popping up, maiming and killing indiscriminately, especially in the context of driving (and politics).

Both aspects are real, very real, and as tightly linked as heads and tails.

Thai society may be mostly Buddhist but the social fabric is held together, for better and worse, by a Confucian set of values (as old as Buddhism itself) at the core of which lies the concept of ‘Harmony’. Anyone who is familiar with this country knows for example how difficult it is to have a Western-style ‘open hearted discussion’ with a Thai, because disagreement threatens his/her perception of (and craving for) Harmony. The conversation may start, but as soon as the ideas get even a trifle controversial, most Thais will laugh it off, abruptly (and comically sometimes) change the subject, say ‘mai pen rai’ or come up with some good old cliché like ‘oh well, there are many different ways of thinking’.

In the name of sacrosanct Harmony, Asians are conditioned from a very early age not to question the authority of parents, teachers, elders, hierarchical superiors. Of course they don’t always agree, because they are human, but they learn not to voice their disagreement. There are other ways to come around conflicts, and for one thing you won’t need to tell an Asian what ‘passive-aggressive’ is all about because they invented it! Using the mediation of a third party is another very common choice and it can work wonders. Sometimes the other ways don’t work though, and that’s where the ‘pressure-cooker syndrome’ comes in. The individual will just store his unsolved frustration/anger within himself and when this negative energy eventually accumulates to a very dangerous level, the explosion can, and will happen.

This kind of behavior may irritate Westerners, but avoiding conflict is a very respectable and interesting approach to the eternal question: ‘how do we humans live together and avoid carnage?’ I’m not saying it’s the best answer, but it’s one that seems to work as long as the level of frustration/humiliation remains within a reasonable scope.

Westerners brought up in a context where the key idea is now ‘don’t keep it in, talk it out’ are easily exasperated when they settle in Asia. They forget, however, that the ‘express yourself’ approach is relatively new, initiated by S. Freud around 1895 and reaching full bloom in the late 1960s. Until then our Western societies were extremely repressed, highly hierarchical and people who let out their individual feelings were in most cases considered foolish, rude and uneducated. We must also admit that the new trend has reached some utterly ridiculous levels in the West, where we are so intent on leaving nothing unsaid that we end up splitting hairs and giving absurd importance to insignificant events. It is particularly obvious in the corporate world where ‘meetings’ are held so often (in the name of sharing ideas, feelings, information etc.) that finding time to actually work in your working place becomes a challenge.

Whenever I try to brooch the topic with Thai friends, they inevitably invoke ‘cultural difference’... to which I no less inevitably reply that cultures/traditions can (and indeed must) be altered, and that the West did change a lot on this particular issue. They’re usually surprised to hear that, because most of them assume that the West has always been very outspoken and unbridled by etiquette. Of course I’m not telling them that they should ‘become like us’, perish the thought, because we all see the disastrous results of extreme individualism and blatant ‘self-affirmation’ which, interestingly, can lead to the same murderous results as self-repression.

What I’m saying is that somewhere in Utopia (where I’m planning to relocate as soon as I find out where it is), perhaps there is a kind of ‘middle way’ where the two models can merge into a social system where individuals are encouraged to voice disagreement, frustration, fear, and such ‘negative’ feelings without being frowned on, yet keeping in mind that asserting one’s individuality doesn’t make one become the center of the world, and that sacred Rights come along with no less sacred Duties.

• Like 2

It looks like there's more to this story than meets the eye.

I believe the guy was fleeing for his life, got in the bus and attempted to escape the people coming to kill him.

He couldn't drive which is what caused the resulting madness on the roads, he was being chased by some gang who were intent on killing him and this was his only chance to escape.

The people giving chase caught up with him when he crashed and did what they intended to do to him from the outset...kill him.

The above post isn't speculation - it's what happened according to Thai language news on TV. Form a third party but she's usually pretty reliable.

He knew his killer and was trying to escape them. Something to do with a motorbike gang and a 'girl' from what I heard although it was a bit vague.

Edited by ukrules

This is setting a very dangerous precedent where a lynch mob get away scot free, today it this deranged

young man, whose to say that tomorrow it going to be just a normal citizen who would be involve

in a similar accident albeit innocent? would he lynched too? how about a farang being lynched?

where dose it end?

Precedent was set a long long time ago.

you're right there ezzra,

and was it not a Farang who attacked one of the most popular Shrines in Bangkok with a sledgehammer and was(literally,not figuratively)torn apart by the "mob" if you want to call them that?(I could be wrong,it was around 2010 or so)

The mob did not murder the driver ,the delivered justice on him .

In a very effective way,congratulations.

No. They murdered him. I hope whoever was responsible is caught and spends a long time in gaol. Mob rule and vigilantism is no justice at all.

To say the least whistling.gif

mob rule and vigilantism are more effective than a failing justice system ,the Ferrari-runner would not be on the loose now ,as 1000 others that bought their way out of justice .This time they were on time ,spotless.

Mob rule and vigilantism are symptoms of a failing justice system, not an alternative. They are the antithesis of justice and those who take part in them should be punished. The laws are there. They need to be enforced.

• Like 1

where dose it end?

Precedent was set a long long time ago.

you're right there ezzra,

and was it not a Farang who attacked one of the most popular Shrines in Bangkok with a sledgehammer and was(literally,not figuratively)torn apart by the "mob" if you want to call them that?(I could be wrong,it was around 2010 or so)

Hi Qualitytourist,

You're referring to a event that occured in March 2006 and the shrine in question was the Erawan Shrine, dedicated to the Hindu god Brahma (the 'Creator', called Phra Phrom in Thailand), in front of Grand Hyatt Erawan. Built in 1956 by the state-owned Erawan hotel (demolished in 1987 to be replaced by Grand Hyatt) in order to shoo off bad luck, this shrine has been attracting people who believe that if you make a wish there, you have a good chance that it will be granted. As always with this kind of place, it generates biiiiiig bucks.

The guy who attacked the statue was not a farang, I don't know where you got that idea, but yes, he did it with a hammer and yes he was torn to pieces by the wishers and the merchants around.

No one ever really found out why he did it, but it was established that the guy was 'not 100%' as Thais would put it. The statue was rebuilt and in no time at all, it was business as usual. The strange coincidence here is that the lynching of the young guy a few days ago occured in the very same perimeter (the Ratchaprasong crossroad). That's also where the Red Shirts set fire to Central World Plaza in May 2010. My Thai friends tell me that this intersection was once used for public executions and /or displaying convicted criminals to the public.

• Like 2