Road-rage Bangkok bus driver lynched, stabbed

webfact

Increasingly Thailand seems to be following in the foot steps of China , some of the most bizarre things you can't imagine happen up there, from a bus driver reversing up a freeway 2klms because he over shot the turn off to 150 T (would believe) on a truck , falling through a bridge, bizarre incidents in Thailand are on the increase the police are useless at whatever they do ,so these out bursts will likely increase over time, as the country falls gradually into moral decline.coffee1.gif

That may be true but driving standards in China are generally better than in Thailand from my own observations (I drive in both countries and hold licenses for both). Chinese drivers are generally slower and saner than Thai drivers, though they are more impatient and use their owns quite liberally.

Chinese drivers are generally slower and saner?? Not as I observed them in several years I lived there. To a Chinese driver, the pedestrians don't exist for example.

Mind you, and that's one thing I like about China, if you're a laowai, the driver will let you slowly pass/walk in front of him/her. Laowais get preferential treatment usually. Probably the exact opposite from here.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is setting a very dangerous precedent where a lynch mob get away scot free, today it this deranged

young man, whose to say that tomorrow it going to be just a normal citizen who would be involve

in a similar accident albeit innocent? would he lynched too? how about a farang being lynched?

where dose it end?

Precedent was set a long long time ago.

you're right there ezzra,

and was it not a Farang who attacked one of the most popular Shrines in Bangkok with a sledgehammer and was(literally,not figuratively)torn apart by the "mob" if you want to call them that?(I could be wrong,it was around 2010 or so)

Hi Qualitytourist,

You're referring to a event that occured in March 2006 and the shrine in question was the Erawan Shrine, dedicated to the Hindu god Brahma (the 'Creator', called Phra Phrom in Thailand), in front of Grand Hyatt Erawan. Built in 1956 by the state-owned Erawan hotel (demolished in 1987 to be replaced by Grand Hyatt) in order to shoo off bad luck, this shrine has been attracting people who believe that if you make a wish there, you have a good chance that it will be granted. As always with this kind of place, it generates biiiiiig bucks.

The guy who attacked the statue was not a farang, I don't know where you got that idea, but yes, he did it with a hammer and yes he was torn to pieces by the wishers and the merchants around.

No one ever really found out why he did it, but it was established that the guy was 'not 100%' as Thais would put it. The statue was rebuilt and in no time at all, it was business as usual. The strange coincidence here is that the lynching of the young guy a few days ago occured in the very same perimeter (the Ratchaprasong crossroad). That's also where the Red Shirts set fire to Central World Plaza in May 2010. My Thai friends tell me that this intersection was once used for public executions and /or displaying convicted criminals to the public.

Thank you for setting that straight Yann,I appreciate it,made me think back,

I think I initially heard it was a Farang from a Thai friend who said "no Thai would do this",

and then said exactly as you quoted "not 100%" when he found out it was.

This is setting a very dangerous precedent where a lynch mob get away scot free, today it this deranged

young man, whose to say that tomorrow it going to be just a normal citizen who would be involve

in a similar accident albeit innocent? would he lynched too? how about a farang being lynched?

where dose it end?

One of the reasons I have resisted for years my Wife's chats about moving to LOS.

I've been telling people for years on this forum - if involved in an accident NEVER stop.

When I once had the necessity to follow your advice I did so, without harming anybody further. I was not responsible for the incident anyway

and it kept me out of bigger trouble. whistling.gif

I think both outcomes could be dangerous. First one is hanging around and doing the right thing and risk getting a mob beat you and your family to death for no reason at all or fleeing an accident and having the police track you down and put you behind bars for years on end. To me, this is a sign of a country with serious issues.

Seems like the junction with the Erewan shrine is becoming a hub of lynching and public outrage.

Wasn't it a few years ago that some poor unfortunate man was beaten to death at the shrine. Turned out he was mentally unbalanced. I can't remember exactly what he did that enfuriated the crowds there to inflict such violence on him.

"The Erawan Shrine was built in 1956 as part of the government-owned Erawan Hotel to eliminate the bad karma believed caused by laying the foundations on the wrong date.

The hotel's construction was delayed by a series of mishaps, including cost overruns, injuries to laborers, and the loss of a shipload of Italian marble intended for the building. Furthermore, the Ratchaprasong Intersection had once been used to put criminals on public display.

An astrologer advised building the shrine to counter the negative influences. The Brahma statue was designed and built by the Department of Fine Arts and enshrined on 9 November 1956. The hotel's construction thereafter proceeded without further incident. In 1987, the hotel was demolished and the site used for the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel."

Ref: Wiki - Erawan Shrine

Could happen to any innocent-bystander, law-abiding intersection in Bangkok, IMHO.

Edited by MaxYakov

Hi Qualitytourist,

You're referring to a event that occured in March 2006 and the shrine in question was the Erawan Shrine, dedicated to the Hindu god Brahma (the 'Creator', called Phra Phrom in Thailand), in front of Grand Hyatt Erawan. Built in 1956 by the state-owned Erawan hotel (demolished in 1987 to be replaced by Grand Hyatt) in order to shoo off bad luck, this shrine has been attracting people who believe that if you make a wish there, you have a good chance that it will be granted. As always with this kind of place, it generates biiiiiig bucks.

The guy who attacked the statue was not a farang, I don't know where you got that idea, but yes, he did it with a hammer and yes he was torn to pieces by the wishers and the merchants around.

No one ever really found out why he did it, but it was established that the guy was 'not 100%' as Thais would put it. The statue was rebuilt and in no time at all, it was business as usual. The strange coincidence here is that the lynching of the young guy a few days ago occured in the very same perimeter (the Ratchaprasong crossroad). That's also where the Red Shirts set fire to Central World Plaza in May 2010. My Thai friends tell me that this intersection was once used for public executions and /or displaying convicted criminals to the public.

Thank you for setting that straight Yann,I appreciate it,made me think back,

I think I initially heard it was a Farang from a Thai friend who said "no Thai would do this",

and then said exactly as you quoted "not 100%" when he found out it was.

He was a Muslim http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/world/20060322-0253-thailand-shrinedestroyed.html

I've been telling people for years on this forum - if involved in an accident NEVER stop.

When I once had the necessity to follow your advice I did so, without harming anybody further. I was not responsible for the incident anyway

and it kept me out of bigger trouble. whistling.gif

I think both outcomes could be dangerous. First one is hanging around and doing the right thing and risk getting a mob beat you and your family to death for no reason at all or fleeing an accident and having the police track you down and put you behind bars for years on end. To me, this is a sign of a country with serious issues.

I had, at it seems nobody who read my number plate, the guy who was responsible for the accident got up, after falling from the motorbike, seen in my mirror.

That incident was on a main Highway in broad daylight, he had not to wait for help to the hospital.whistling.gif