Comparing Taiwan and Thailand

RikDao

though i might go spend some time there . never got past the "attitude"' at the two embassies i visited in 2 different countries at years apart. took the hint didnt go. Taiwanese i have occasioned to meet elsewhere have been delightful. reports from falang living the have been vastly positive, but they still come to thai for the goils. was long ago. the goils have changed and havent met any visiting falang from taiwan for a long time either.

these dayz i meet english speaking goils from mainland china traveling alone.

thais? no wouldnt want to meet them.

Edited by Wacoal

Are you for real?

Have you really been to Taipei Taiwan?

Almost no farangs therecheesy.gif

Food fresh and delicious cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Try shit smelling Cho dofu the local delicacy

their pleasant, tidy little island cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Taiwan used to be Portuguese and called Formosa which means beautiful island in less than 40 years Chinese invasion destroyed ALL the fresh water sources, water is now polluted, most of the ecosystems of the coasts have been eradicated, and coastal landscapes defaced, local indigenous people deprived of their land, culture, rights and language. The idea of Chinese architecture is to put metal bars on each and every windows so their house which are cheap looking concrete craps, look like prisons or glorified bunkers. The old indigenous architecture has been destroyed, but the ancient Chinese areas are also torn down. Everything old and cute is replaced by ugly concrete building with bars at windows. There is not one footpath which is occupied by a line of scooters, it's quite difficult to walk in the streets. The pollution generated by scooters is a huge issue. After a fortnight you develop scooter cough

I posted an impolite and negative reply to this comment, which was pulled as inappropriate by the site moderator, which is a good thing, because I regretted the tone and substance of my reply almost immediately after posting. Lol. However, I stand by my comments. Thanks for enlightening me as to the history of the island, I'm eager to learn more about it.

I have friends in the U.S. who can't keep the two places sorted out..

They still think I live in Taiwan....not Thailand!

By the way...the few times I have been to Taiwan, it has been hot, muggy and overcast,

The people seemed unfriendly,

Most of the shops in the airport were vacant

It reminded me of the propaganda photos I saw of Russia in the US as a kid...

Drab, concrete and depressing.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

Ha ha ha... Is this a joke post?
I lived and worked in Taiwan for 6 years before I moved to Thailand 18 years ago.

I know it has gotten more modern since then... But really...

The cost of living there is insanely higher than in Thailand.

The pollution is ubiquitous and insidious.

There are more factories per capita than anywhere else in the world and the highest per capita numbers of cancers and tumors. All of the newest composite materials are developed and used there to make tennis rackets, golf clubs, etc.

In the six years I lived there, I had 3 cysts removed that grew on my body.

There were regular newspaper stories of farmers selling diseased pigs to be eaten rather than destroying them or businesses that took money to remove radioactive rebar from eastern European nuclear sites and sold it cheaply as construction material in Taiwan. Then people living in the new buildings would wonder why their gums were bleeding and their hair was falling out.

I knew the top oncologist in the country who taught at Tai-Da University. He saw so much horror that he took his family and moved to Canada.

If you are an English teacher and want to make way more money than in Thailand, then, by all means go for it. But don't stay too long.

• Like 1

I've never had any desire to go there tbh (and I love all things Asian) loved my visit to Tokyo, for example.

Thanks to the OP for reminding us that it exists.tongue.png

Double post

But I will also add that a former senior colleague of mine who I very much respected lived in Taipei for 6 years during the early 90s, and says to this day that it was the best place he's ever lived and worked as an expat by far. He was extremely well travelled and did very long stints all over Asia, Africa and Europe. now in his 70s retired in the Philippines

Edited by Grindting

Taiwan has known more than its share of political strife and violence, unlike modern Thailand.

Are you sure...you are familiar with Thai politics...where violence and strife are an everyday occurrence...

Edited by ggt
  • Like 1

Have not been to Taiwan,but am interested to know is it very crowded,and you mentioned the weather,so cooler than Thailand?

Busy city, Taipei, 7 million people, but not particularly congested. They have a great subway system, super clean and organized, passengers were polite, standers get on the right side of the escalators so the people in a hurry can get by on the left. People seemed to cross the street at lights, and when the blinking sign said it was OK to walk. A red line on each side of the narrow old city lanes (which are like the sois in Chiang Mai), ALL the motorbikes were parked behind the line on each side, out of the right-of-way areas.

It was cool last week, maybe 80 for high, 65 low, but it's supposed to be unpleasant when it's hot and humid. The island is definitely not as warm as Thailand.

Are you for real?

Food fresh and delicious cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Try shit smelling Cho dofu the local delicacy

their pleasant, tidy little island cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Taiwan used to be Portuguese and called Formosa which means beautiful island in less than 40 years Chinese invasion destroyed ALL the fresh water sources, water is now polluted, most of the ecosystems of the coasts have been eradicated, and coastal landscapes defaced, local indigenous people deprived of their land, culture, rights and language. The idea of Chinese architecture is to put metal bars on each and every windows so their house which are cheap looking concrete craps, look like prisons or glorified bunkers. The old indigenous architecture has been destroyed, but the ancient Chinese areas are also torn down. Everything old and cute is replaced by ugly concrete building with bars at windows. There is not one footpath which is occupied by a line of scooters, it's quite difficult to walk in the streets. The pollution generated by scooters is a huge issue. After a fortnight you develop scooter cough

I don't know when you've been to Taiwan and what you did there, but you seem to have a lot of anger issues with the place.

While food preferences are matter of personal taste, Chinese food is far more diverse than any other cuisine. Chou doufu is actually a delicacy from Hong Kong. For one, I love it. I wonder, just how is it worse than smell of fish sauce or blaraa??

Taiwanese actually take care of their environment much better than Thais. There are still large areas of the island covered with a thick jungle. Air is much cleaner than in Thailand, probably due to it being an island and winds blowing smog away. Beaches are immaculate compared to those in Thailand.

Chang Khai Shek did mistreat indigenous people as well as ethnic Chinese who went there a few hundred years before, but Americans eradicated the whole population of indigenous people, so what? It does not make it an ugly place to live in.

There are many motorcycles, just like in Thailand, but saying that there is no place to walk in Taiwan compared to Thailand is certainly the single biggest nonsense of this post.

I suggest you find some way to deal with you hatred buddy

I lived and worked in Taiwan for 6 years before I moved to Thailand 18 years ago.

There are more factories per capita than anywhere else in the world and the highest per capita numbers of cancers and tumors. All of the newest composite materials are developed and used there to make tennis rackets, golf clubs, etc.

There were regular newspaper stories of farmers selling diseased pigs to be eaten rather than destroying them or businesses that took money to remove radioactive rebar from eastern European nuclear sites and sold it cheaply as construction material in Taiwan. Then people living in the new buildings would wonder why their gums were bleeding and their hair was falling out.

I knew the top oncologist in the country who taught at Tai-Da University. He saw so much horror that he took his family and moved to Canada.

If you are an English teacher and want to make way more money than in Thailand, then, by all means go for it. But don't stay too long.

I think the place changed a lot since you've been there. My friend there lives off 20 000 baht per month. It depends on the city you choose to live in. Taipei is much more expensive than other cities. Subway is cheaper than skytrain in BKK. Food is more expensive than in Thailand but if you take into account the serving size it may actually be cheaper. Gasoline is cheaper. Houses, other than in Taipei, are on par or can even be cheaper than in Thailand (and you can actually buy it in your name).

THere is a high incidence of mouth/throat cancer. It is caused by some form of tobacco man like to chew there. Thailand seems far more polluted nowadays.

Nope, not a joke post, I genuinely liked the place, and will go back someday, after I've checked out a few other Asian spots, like Korea, Japan, and China. But I never expected this innocent little post of mine to stir up so much "stuff" for some people, my word! I'm sorry you had cysts and tumors there, but the people in the streets looked healthy enough, and the roads were fine. Life expectancy there is 75 for men, 82 for women. All companies are compelled to pay for health insurance for their employees. Per capita income is high...

Also, I did some research regarding food before I went, and Taipei is currently one of the most popular foodie destinations in Asia, competing well with Singapore and Hong Kong, which are supposed to be the best. Yep, I heard about the stinky tofu before I got there and I avoided it, but everything I ate there was delicious and I never had the same thing twice. Didn't eat much pork there, it's so common in Thailand, but I ate a lot of yummy beef, in soups and stir-fries. But pork in those sizzling dumplings? OH MY! Food in restaurants is more expensive than in Thailand, but the servings are about twice as big.

servings are about twice as big.

Taipei reminded me of New York, people seem confident and busy and they were ALL nice to me. But gee, I was only there for a week, right?

Are you for real?

I lived there 14.5 years and thank you for setting it straight!! He also stayed in Taipei only with the recycling laws along with the mandatory helmets but that's just the city. Once you leave the city it's crap and it's the wild west for driving and no helmets whatsoever. The street dogs where moved out of the city to the country too. And the cops????.......you will see them when you get your wallet out when you want something done.....witnessed that enough times!!!! You didn't see them as they just sit in the station counting their "tea money". Guess the OP wasn't in one of the clubs when the music got cut off and they looked around for the manager for their "brown envelope" as it wasn't at the door waiting for them.......can testify to that too !! Could go on about the rude, obnoxious, nosey people and their "me-first" attitude but there isn't enough room here!! Had enough of those people and soooooo glad I'm here now!!

"Lastly, check out the roads in Taiwan, holes everywhere. I've travelled around the world, this is the only country who is not capable of making flat roads without holes".

You've never been to the UK have you - Thailands back road farm tracks would be a brits dream !!

Never been there other than the airport. Was interested in his post as there is two sides to the story. I was thinking he was dissing it a bit strongly until I came to the

"Lastly, check out the roads in Taiwan, holes everywhere. I've travelled around the world, this is the only country who is not capable of making flat roads without holes".

​At that point I realized the guy was just trolling. Probably never even passed through it on an airplane.

Taiwan - Beautiful, mostly unspoiled countryside, friendly people.

Taipei - Ugliest city in Asia, an architectural desert with the odd oasis of style here and there. Expensive place to live as an ex-pat, go local and it's much cheaper but still not as cheap as Thailand

The OP's post concerned his reflections on a weeks visit and I felt much the same on mine. Later I went to work there; of the 6 countries in Asia that I have lived and worked in Asia, this was the only one I didn't enjoy my time.

The truth is, most majority are unfriendly and selfish. Warm hearted friendliness will exist mostly on country sides, where locals will go as far as to offer you to eat with them in their house even if you are a tourist.

However, I am not too impressed with the new generation society. Harsh for me to say this, but the truth. They all follow similar principles and will not dare to be different. They criticize people who are different. They don't think through knowledge or concept, but through remembering and SOPs. Try meeting a few of them, you will realize, they think alike, and say the same things.

As far as the girls go, they are trained by the media to act childish and cute. Most will say looks is okay, but no, they go even further, even their mind will purposely act like a 15 year old and the way they say things. Thai women on the other hand, learn to grow up and be mature. From the way they dress and attraction. Whether you go do business or go to the local banks, even 30-40 year old girls will talk to you in a cute curly tone as if they are little girls, gross. And the men? Dark rim glasses, sit in any bus or train, you'll see clones everywhere.

Taiwan is the only country whose international airport you'll see 90% locals. They just don't adapt internationally, they are very self centered. Banks will not accommodate you and make the forms in English for the customer's point of view. "YOU, the customer, has to adapt to us." That's their mentality. When you ask for help, they will frown at you and say it's your fault. Whereas in Thailand, they will smile and help you out.

Lastly, check out the roads in Taiwan, holes everywhere. I've travelled around the world, this is the only country who is not capable of making flat roads without holes.

OK, whatever. I'm getting carpal tunnel replying to all these negative posts, for crying out loud! I know, now someone will tell me I don't have to reply.

Taiwan/Taipei weren't perfect, nowhere is, except maybe L.A. (RELAX, I'M KIDDING!!!), but I don't remember the bad stuff, and I could write a mid-length essay about all the good stuff I saw, heard, smelled, ate and felt there. So, kids, I've said enough, bye-bye, I'm out!

• Like 2

Are you for real?

I don't know when you've been to Taiwan and what you did there, but you seem to have a lot of anger issues with the place.

While food preferences are matter of personal taste, Chinese food is far more diverse than any other cuisine. Chou doufu is actually a delicacy from Hong Kong. For one, I love it. I wonder, just how is it worse than smell of fish sauce or blaraa??

Taiwanese actually take care of their environment much better than Thais. There are still large areas of the island covered with a thick jungle. Air is much cleaner than in Thailand, probably due to it being an island and winds blowing smog away. Beaches are immaculate compared to those in Thailand.

Chang Khai Shek did mistreat indigenous people as well as ethnic Chinese who went there a few hundred years before, but Americans eradicated the whole population of indigenous people, so what? It does not make it an ugly place to live in.

There are many motorcycles, just like in Thailand, but saying that there is no place to walk in Taiwan compared to Thailand is certainly the single biggest nonsense of this post.

I suggest you find some way to deal with you hatred buddy

There is no space for hatred in my life it's a waste of time and energy,but your post is a joke

I lived in Taipei for 2 years

1/Chodofu or stinky dofu is from China and not from Hong Kong where it used to be banned when under British government.

2/ You are really talking non sense about the environment in Taiwan:

- Any doctor will tell you that anyone staying over 2 years there has the lungs of a 10 years old smoker, so no the air is not cleaner than Thailand.

- Beach culture is not developed so yes there is not as much rubbish left on the shore, but that does not mean it's not polluted!

- There are way more motorcycles in Taiwan that in THL,as said previously, they cause respiratory diseases.

I lived in Taipei for 3 years before I moved full time to Thailand. Taipei is OK, great subway, most things work (unlike Thailand), great HSR connecting Taipei & Kaoshiung. The east of the island is pretty attractive, unlike most of the western coastal strip where most of the population live & where the majority of the industry is. That's the good stuff. The bad stuff; the climate sucks, really really hot and humid in the summer, very cold and wet in the winter, far more extreme than here in Thailand. Mandarin for me, although a tonal language was far harder to master than Thai or Lao, and I found English abilities of the locals worse than in Thailand for the most part. In general its not a pretty place, and this may be a little unkind, certainly my Taiwanese friends hate this, although I suspect they believe it; you can tell it was once a Japanese colony, same urban planning nightmare, but a helluva lot dirtier.

it's good to hear other sides... but you are the first person I have met who is negative about Taiwan.

(apart from the "It's not as good as it used to be" people)

Ferangs (...compared to "quality tourists"/retirees in Thailand)

Fresh food - They export excellent fruit and vegatables , because it is good (Better than in supermarkets in Thailand)

Yes the Chinese tend to destroy everything - like ants, but just like ants... they are "succesful"

Are you for real?

It's about 4 years since I was in Taiwan, but I have no negative feelings about the place.

Have spent some months in Taipei, but my last visit was in Taichung, half way down the West coast.

Whilst there, my work colleague had a heart attack. (just a painful chest, not a collapsing attack)

The manager of the hotel had him immediately taken to hospital.

The CEO of the company we were visiting arranged to have one of their staff stay at his bedside all waking hours.

They brought in food from outside, knowing my colleague would not like the hospital food.

The CEO guaranteed the hospital bill with his own credit card until my colleagues medical insurance was verified.

His hospital care was excellent and saved his life (cleared the offending blocked artery).

Have not had reason to go back since, but would be happy to do so.

• Like 1

I've got a few Taiwanese friends who regularly come to Bangkok for business. They say Bangkok is like Taipei was in the 80s, in terms of dirty, poor infrastructure/urban planning, etc. But also say business opportunities are better in BKK.

For me personally, both are just hot, big, and busy. Like all Asian cities.