May 2, 201412 yr I'm married to a Thai woman and want to stay in Thailand for about 9 or more months per year. I have a multiple-entry, non-immigrant O visa presently. Money is not an issue for me, and I'd just like to get some opinions about which extension to get. I'll say right off that I'm tending towards the marriage route, because I might want to do some volunteer work in Chiang Mai, and maybe some other places. Any thoughts? Thanks.
May 2, 201412 yr If you qualify by age an extension of stay could be sought on the basis of retirement or you could go down the route of education. As you wish to work the marriage route would seem appropriate . Do not forget ANY work done requires a work permit. edit spelling ! Edited May 2, 201412 yr by thepool
May 2, 201412 yr You need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days in your name only or 40k baht income to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. For retirement it is 800k in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the two. In extension of stay based upon marriage would allow you to get a work permit and work. It is not possible to do it on an extension based upon retirement.
May 2, 201412 yr The retirement route is far easier and quicker than the marriage route. If you wish to work legally then that may force you down the latter route.
May 3, 201412 yr I am on my 6th extension based upon marriage to a Thai. It just means a few more copies and then a 30 day wait to get the final extension stamp. I could go the retirement route but I feel the extension based upon marriage is the proper one for me because I am here to live with my family.
May 3, 201412 yr You do the math, if your marriage is solid like a rock than go with it, if not, just do the sfae thing and go with the retirement visa...
Create an account or sign in to comment