I Let A Thai Person Borrow Money From Me

sprocket

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask for your money back in front of his friends....... in a nice way. :D

But make it clear (to his friends) how long you have waited.

Dangerous.

You are making the person loose face.

You may get a violent response, when you are not looking.

Reason enough not to lend out money in the first place :o

I lent money several times to family members of my thai wife.

they always paid back. not immediately, but after a few phone calls.

several 100'000s of baht.

if you mix with the right people, you should not have any problems.

too easy to say they're all brain-numb once they got money in their hands.

but only 7'000 baht lost is a cheap lesson.

chose your friends more wisely.

or learn to say: no!

Edited by danone

I lent money several times to family members of my thai wife.

they always paid back. not immediately, but after a few phone calls.

several 100'000s of baht.

if you mix with the right people, you should not have any problems.

too easy to say they're all brain-numb once they got money in their hands.

but only 7'000 baht lost is a cheap lesson.

chose your friends more wisely.

or learn to say: no!

Wow!! Several 100K bhat loaned & got it back? You should try your odds in Las Vegas.

I let a Thai person (someone who I thought was a friend and could trust) borrow 7000 baht. I was supposed to be repayed several weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

Borrow ฿7,000 from someone who trusts you and refer them to your 'friend' when they come to collect...? :o:D

I think there might be some misinterpretation of the meaning of this loan. For us farang, the loan is a specific cash favour meant to be repaid on time. For some Thais, the loan might actually mean the patronage you are dispensing in return for their loyalty/kreng jai. If you lent money to someone who is not very familiar with farang concepts, this may be the way they are thinking, and they may not be aware there is any other way to look at it. Referring to it as a "loan" softens the transaction, which might otherwise look like "begging."

If this is the case, the question then becomes if you want to deal with Thais on a Thai basis or not. Remember that villages survive by mutual sharing: you share what you have when others need it so that they are obligated to you when you are in need. This way no one gets rich, but everyone survives.

If there is little likelihood that you will ever need something from this person, then maybe making a loan of this size is a bad bet. On the other hand, you never know when you'll need a Thai friend from an unexpected quarter, and this friend's friends will also indirectly share the obligation. Your mileage may vary.

"Steven"

I let a Thai person (someone who I thought was a friend and could trust) borrow 7000 baht. I was supposed to be repayed several weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to get my money back? 7000 baht is not that much but I don't want to just let the person get away with stealing my money so easily.

If it was expected back several weeks ago there is little chance of confusion ...

Sprocket ... got your $$ yet?

After some consideration i have come up with the best way to get your money back:

Follow these steps carefully:

Step 1) Go to your friends house/appartment just to say "hi"

Step 2) Invite yourself in and start a conversation

Step 3) Scope out the area and try to find something of 7,000 baht value which is portable

Step 4) Make up a reason that you need to borrow the item ("I'm have some people over this weekend, do you think i can borrow your rice cooker/TV/stove/DVD Player/etc...?")

At this point they know they *Must* lend you the item because you lent them the 7,000 baht. They also know at this point that they will not see the item again until they give back the 7,000 baht.

So they must choose whether they have the item or the money. There will be one of 2 outcomes:

1) They lend you the item and you never hear from them again. You sell the item and get your money.

2) They show up the next week to pick up the item, with your money in their hand.

Either way you get your money, without so much as mentioning it.

I really do like that idea :o - the crux is it will only work if the person in question has something worth close to 7,000 baht..

I let a Thai person (someone who I thought was a friend and could trust) borrow 7000 baht. I was supposed to be repayed several weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to get my money back? 7000 baht is not that much but I don't want to just let the person get away with stealing my money so easily.

Send Stewie

Ask for your money back in front of his friends....... in a nice way. :D

But make it clear (to his friends) how long you have waited.

Dangerous.

You are making the person loose face.

You may get a violent response, when you are not looking.

You catch on fast. :D:o

Thais borrow constantly

Repayment is only made by priority being

1.people who are likely to lend again.

2.people who harrass the most.

3.people who can cause them embarassment...loss of face.

If you dont fit these categories you will be low on the repayment list.

From personal observation of my missuses network of friends,and some personal experience as the lender.

This darn Bluecoat Filter on my network won't let me view 'Stewie' :D

I also learnt the hard way about loaning money not just once either but then I am a slow learner. My Thai friend tells me that he never loans money to any of his friends as he would lose not only his money but the friend.

I once lent a Thai 10,000 baht; after six months I expected never to get it back, however after nine months they paid me back, because they won the lottery.

After a few more months; the original borrower asked if she could borrow 20,000 and explained how she had paid back the original sum of 10,000 baht.

So I lent her 20,000 baht; she has not been seen since. Changed mobile, non of her friends know where she is and I am not the only person she owes.

Beware of this trick. Smaller sums may be returned, but that final big 'ask' will be the ultimate scam, plus as someone mentioned before, it is not only farangs, that some Thais rip off, it is their fellow Thai friends and family and 'best friends'.

The lessons are clear.

So in your case, write it off now; but don't be so overjoyed if you get it back that you lend money again.

Take a pair of rusty pliers and pull 1 tooth out for every day that he doesn't pay you back. Once he has lost all his teeth, take a crowbar to his face.

...adds kind of a Western twist to "saving face" or "losing face." :o

I once lent a Thai 10,000 baht; after six months I expected never to get it back, however after nine months they paid me back, because they won the lottery.

After a few more months; the original borrower asked if she could borrow 20,000 and explained how she had paid back the original sum of 10,000 baht.

So I lent her 20,000 baht; she has not been seen since. Changed mobile, non of her friends know where she is and I am not the only person she owes.

Jesus wept, Blind Benjamin whilst pissed as a fart would have seen through that. :D

I am not sure which was the most stupid, being suckered under such circumstances or admitting to it on the worldwide web... :D:o

Take a pair of rusty pliers and pull 1 tooth out for every day that he doesn't pay you back. Once he has lost all his teeth, take a crowbar to his face.

Are you fcking serious? What about if its 700,000 baht? Do the power tools and bolt cutters come out?

But seriously if you lend money to a thai and you have white skin it will 9 times out of 10 vanish into the blackhole where all falang dosh is!

Its worrying now is that 'turned' falangs with thai wives are getting in on the action and trying the borrow money line!

A new trend emerging is 'oh you need that bike / car registering? Sure we can do it!' And making up some excessive amount.

Sorry OT a touch.

Edited by JimsKnight

I lent my aussie mate $500 and he did the runnerr because he couldnt pay me back, I really dont care about the cash, if he came and told me he cant pay me back I would of accepted it as he was one of my closest mates.

I borrow alot of money off this Thai girl in Thailand, a couple of 100k baht at a time, I pay her back about every 3 months or so. She trusts me with it completely.

Not paying money back to people is not just a Thai thing as alot of posters are trying to imply.

Its a world wide thing. But the number 1 rule is you should never lend money to anyone that you dont really know. Even my best mate did the runner on me shows that money can do funny things too people.

If you don't like being abrupt by just saying 'No' to loan requests, try saying that you would love to lend them some money but all your spare cash is tied up in investments overseas that you cannot tap at the moment.

If you insist on loaning money, ask for collateral. If they don't have anything they can or will give to you as collateral (DVD player, TV, Camera, important documents-anything they would want back) then they obviously have no intention of paying you back.

Once you make loans you will be known as an easy 'mark' and you will get hit on for loans all the time. Some might be repaid, most will not. Not just in Thailand--anywhere.

brilliant...........!!!!..havent bothered reading the rest....but i bet theres a few keeping quiet.... :o