Unfriendly Farangs

AussieSteve

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Steve but if you were talking to me at the gym just as i was getting changed at my locker i would ignore you too. Its a bit suss champ haha.

My favourite of the fellow farangs at the gym is when they walk in slow motion it cracks me up.. Put a mirror there and its ultra slo-mo maybe even rewind.

Sent from my c64

• Like 1

mate, there are always those that think they are above everyone else and that their sh*t dont stink.You probably arent wearing trendy enough clothes for them, strangely enough most around here will smile and acknowledge you but if they dont I dont really give a rats, they arent worth it anyway. They probably wouldnt realize if their ar*e was on fire with their noses that far up in the air, I find "well f*** you too" generally gets a look or if in close proximity "did you fart or just sh*t yourself", especially if others are around, bit of embarrasment does wonders.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Why would Thais great (sic) you with a wai at the gym?... Yes, the receptionists maybe (SOP) but the other gym goers?.... do you spend a lot of time looking at yourself in the mirror?

I see that around my neighborhood, too. It doesn't bother me anymore, though; I think they're mainly just sad and miserable and maybe even afraid. If I'm nice to them, regardless, that's how I want to be. On the other hand, I've heard bits of their conversations now and then, and...

No, no need to go into it.

I've been going to the gym for about 3 months and usually see the same faces there. I often see farangs but for some reason most avoid eye contact.

In the gym today I had the locker next to a farang again he avoided eye contact I even said "how are you". Nothing................. as if I wasn't even there. Same last week met this guy that I see all the time, at the entrance, said hi he just looked at me.

There are exceptions, one guy returned my greeting and we had a bit of a conversation.

Yet the Thai's often great me with a wai.

Why do these people do that? Are they so caught up in their little world of avoiding talking to anyone that they ignore anyone trying to be friendly.

It's not as if I'm trying to be their best friend, just a friendly hello would be nice. I always wait until I have seen them a couple of times before I say anything.

I posted this on another forum first by mistake, so if anyone has seen it there, sorry to make you read it twice.

Sorry it was me. I am shy and I don't speak english. How can I make it up to you? Well, I have an idea....and I will bring Costa Cordalis!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I try to avoid making friends at the gym or it will become a hassle having to greet people everyday. Hate it bring troubles most the times. But in your case I think he wants to blend in with the Thai not another tourists or foreigner.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

Why would Thais great (sic) you with a wai at the gym?... Yes, the receptionists maybe (SOP) but the other gym goers?.... do you spend a lot of time looking at yourself in the mirror?

It is a time till I went into public gyms back in Farangistan, but than everyone was very focused on what they were doing and wai while bench pressing seems a bit difficult. The best you could get from a friend was a friendly "grmpf"....

with constant people coming and going you would be too busy with wai-ing to get anything done.

In my culture whenever one enters a lift one looks at everyone in the eye and says hello and everyone says hello back.

The same when we enter a room in a public place. The rules of politeness are very strict and almost everyone respects them.

When I first arrived in Thailand I did the same as I would in my culture and this caused me years of misery.

I know someone will insult me for saying this but I will say it all the same:

There are so many farrang pedophiles, cheap whore chasers, drunks, fakes, perverts and the mentally ill I avoid contact with any foreigner until i know who/what they are.

My ex wife and I knew a very nice, cultured British gentleman. He seemed to be the best of people so we wondered why he would take such a pay cut to work in Thailand when he had such a successful life in Britain.

One night we stopped for a late dinner at an all night restaurant in Siam Square and in the corner, in the dark was this man and he was being intimate with a 16 year old boy. We then understood why he was here.

There have been so many disappointments, so many times stabbed in the back, so much pain that I finally accepted to do what most other Europeans do here and not make contact until I know enough about the other farrang.

All those who like to pretend that all is perfect here may now feel free to throw their insults.

My god that would freak me out. What culture says hello to everyone in the elevator?

In my culture it would seen more as a bit rude to speak to unknown people without reason.....I would also like to know which friendly culture is greeting everyone? Maybe a friendly place for holidays....