Middle-Easterner wanted for theft from Central Pattaya Money Exchange Booth

webfact

Was there a CCTV camera there ? If not it would be a worthwhile investment . It would certainly go along way to prove guilt or innocence of those involved .

Edited by xen

What other foreign currency is larger in value than a $100 bill? Because if they were hundred dollar bills she showed them there would be 31 of them to make 100,000B. We don't issue $500 dollar bills. So what did she show them. Gold coins?

You do have Singapore 1000 dollars which is about 26,000Baht, so only 4 of those possibly.

What other foreign currency is larger in value than a $100 bill? Because if they were hundred dollar bills she showed them there would be 31 of them to make 100,000B. We don't issue $500 dollar bills. So what did she show them. Gold coins?

As example; 1000 Swiss Frank bill = 1140 USD. 500 Euro bill = 690 USD

Didn't know that...thanks. Learn something every day.

Francs are obsoleted aren't they? You use Euros now. So it still doesn't add up unless they were one ounce Kruger-rand's.

My, my, you don't travel very much. The Swiss franc is still the currency of Switzerland. They have not joined the EU at this point and only accept Euros as a convenience to their customers.

The $US is not the largest, but the most common large denomination note in regular use. I had no problem changing $100AUD in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago, currently not as valuable as the US$ currently (but it was at several points in the last year). It is a LOT harder to forge than the US$100.

• Like 1

The UK £100 and Euro 100 is worth a heap more than that your shitty easily faked USD$100. You only need 18 UK £100 notes. In my business we transact over a billion baht a year and not one $1 in USD now.

Have you seen the latest issue US $100 note? It is greatly improved, and would be very difficult to counterfeit. Not impossible, of course. Due to the ever-declining purchasing power of the US dollar, it seems likely that the $500 note will make a re-appearance soon. Hundred bucks ain't no big thing no more!

This story...the guy must have had very small and quick hands, to reach under that slot and grab notes off the counter. Surely she didn't drop the bills into the tray???? Or did she?

You do have Singapore 1000 dollars which is about 26,000Baht, so only 4 of those possibly.

They have even 10 000 Singapore dollars = 8000 USD or 260 000 Baht.

They have even 10 000 Singapore dollars = 8000 USD or 260 000 Baht.

When I worked in Singapore I regularly bought 1000 sing notes over with me and no problems changing them.

I have seen a 10k sing note but I wouldn't risk one of those. Imagine if you damaged it or lost how peeved you would be.

As for the exchange teller's story well cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I gather you can be approached by supposedly newly arrived visitors and asked if you can show them what Thai money looks like. You then take out your wallet to show them and then.....

I would be perplexed by such a request.

I have been asked to show people other country's money before, and I believe I handed over 1 note.

This trick whereby they persuade someone working in a money exchange booth to hand over a brick load keeps coming around and always surprises me. You would think the teller would be more wary, and have been warned. It appears they are quite dumb.

I did get done by the Bali money changer's quick hands swapping one or two large denomination notes for their many hundreds of low denomination ones, distracted by a partner of his as the piles were on the counter.

No surprise there, more foreigners more crimes, Pattaya attract all sort of "tourist" from the

well hilled to the down right scum bags, thieves and petty criminals, add to the equation lack

of abilities to police all this mayhem compounding with the fact that you can bribe your self

out from almost any crime and you have a hot house conditions for crimes...

It seems like you are one of the few that believe this woman's story. I've got go with the majority who feel it's unlikely that she would hand a large pile of foreign currency to a stranger, but who knows? it would be interesting to find out how this actually plays out over the next week or so.

BTW, I could not find a reference to "well hilled". The only thing I could think of was very well-endowed woman like Dolly Parton or Pamela Anderson. I think you may want the term "well-heeled", which refers to people who have lots of money, but I think we should try to get "well-hilled" into mainstream vocabulary. It works for me!