Ko Samui

y2k

I am visiting Patong soon and plan to spend a few days in Ko Samui with a love interest. We've been texting and she has agreed to go with me though the sceptic in me says that there may be a hiccup along the way. That being the case I would prefer not to book and pay up front for the flights and accommodation until I get there.

Once there and I get the green light I would book the accommodation online which leaves just the travel. I see that flights are fairly cheap and take just an hour.

Other than flying is road and ferry a reasonable option without becoming a backpacker and slumming it?

Roughly how long is the road trip to the ferry and would we need to leave early in the morning?

Bus but a real pain as you are shunted around in Surat for hours befor getting on the ferry. What should be a 5 hour journey turns into 10 or more. Fly, then you have to contend with the taxis of course another story. Rent a car and drive is an option

If you get a direct bus to Samui, you don't get shunted around in Surrat city.... See if you can book through Seatran, from Phuket on the bus, that should get you right on the boat, without the stops

The ferries are not that bad ... although not western standards.... this time of year not so busy anyway, they leave every hour from Donsak to Nathon...

If you drive, yourself, it should not take more than 6 or 7 hours, depending on "pit stops" .... roads are good.... once out of Phuket, virtually no traffic on most of the highway across .... (by pass Surrathanni city) ...wink.png

Just to add to your question about renting a car, you will probably need to go through a major agency, like Avis.... small companies (mom and Pop shops) don't let you drive out of province (usually... at least that is the case on Samui! ) Sorry don't know costs of Avis etc car rentals .....Google it! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Gosh I thought it would be less at 350km doing an average of 80

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Depends on "pitt stops" yes could be done in less time! wink.png I was being generous! tongue.png

Ferry is one and a half hours once it leaves.... add that too! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Bus but a real pain as you are shunted around in Surat for hours befor getting on the ferry. What should be a 5 hour journey turns into 10 or more. Fly, then you have to contend with the taxis of course another story. Rent a car and drive is an option

Actually if you go with the transport company or Sombat you will get there right away.

If you go through an travel agency you probably end up in minibus hell.

Just go to the bus terminal and by your ticket there.

Rule of thumb is that if you are the only foreigner on the bus then you are on the right bus.

If there are no Thais on the bus, you have been scammed.

• Like 1

If I go the plane option is it roughly the same price at the airport as buying online?

And what about hotel accommodation at Ko Samui - is it better to book online as is the case in most other hotel destinations?

If I go the plane option is it roughly the same price at the airport as buying online?

And what about hotel accommodation at Ko Samui - is it better to book online as is the case in most other hotel destinations?

Buy online at Bangkok airways site, they usually have weboffer prices.

Only time of year you need to pre-book accommodation on Samui is around Christmas-New year.

Plenty of free rooms now.

I like free

biggrin.png Not free of money.... tongue.png .... But lots of choices around in all price ranges and areas.... from 299 baht a night to over 30,000 baht...a night... w00t.gif .... how much do you want to spend.... ?

Do you want "party type" places .... Chawang or parts of Lamai, ..... or quieter just beach type places Maenam, Ban Tai, or Ban Por (north end) .... other choices too.... Chong Mong etc...wink.png

Poorsucker is correct about the buses / mini vans too.... much nicer riding with local Thai's who behave them selves on the buses .... thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Looking for places in between I guess. Bars and restaurants but not rowdy with lager louts from Australia, Britain or Russia.

Looking for places in between I guess. Bars and restaurants but not rowdy with lager louts from Australia, Britain or Russia.

Well avoid Chawang, although probably not as bad as this time of year.... with those types... but they do come out of the wood work some times! w00t.gifbiggrin.png Avoid if you can times around the Full Moon Party, many people go from here to KP just for the evening of the party... wink.png (more likely those types would stay in Chawang! )

You can find some decent, places in the 800 - 1000 baht range.... 1000 to 2000 baht too....up to you.... varies a bit depending if you want Aircon etc.... some have fridge etc .... in Maenam .... The bars are generally fairly civalized and a fairly good mix of restaurants.... Others will probably say other wise! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Buy online at Bangkok airways site, they usually have weboffer prices.

Only time of year you need to pre-book accommodation on Samui is around Christmas-New year.

Plenty of free rooms now.

Is it cheaper to buy online than at airport?

If buying online I'm likely to buy just the day before flying.