Strong 6.0-magnitude quake rattles northern Thailand: USGS

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have Tat got hold of this yet,i would like to see how they spin this one

Come to Thailand, where the earth REALLY WILL move for you....

Come to Thailand, we make you shake....

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felt it in Bangkok! 15th floor..., it felt more like a slow wave movement than that of a shake.

The funniest part..., I joined friends last night for a get together that last entirely too long and resulted in a nice hangover today. When first I felt it, I hesitated saying anything to my GF who was cooking dinner. Figured she'd call me Ting Tong and say it was my hangover. When I did say something, she came over to the dining room table where I was sitting with notebook, sat down and agreed..., we were definitely wobbling.

Interesting..., and we both agreed on this...., it seemed to last at least 30 seconds..., maybe more.

Bangkok 19th floor....until I read this I was unaware of the quake, but i remember at that time a really weird sensation.

I have a bad cold and had just blown my nose when I felt like I was moving to and fro...thought I had blown too hard and scrambled what little grey matter I have.

Little did I know it was the building moving, not me!

Hope everybody up there is ok, but equally happy I don't have a brain anurism (yet!)w00t.gif

Had a darned powerful mover and shaker out here in Mae Onn. Went on for about a minute, followed by a smaller after shock. No damage as my builings are all one storey only.

Second photo looks scanned from a printed source, so doubt the veracity.

And the shadows show it to have been taken around mid-day.

The first photo is scanned too. If you look closely, you can see the tell-tale vertical stripes.

Ignore these photos; they've got nothing to do with this quake.

Well the Mrs and Myself felt it here in Bangkok at 6.15,we are on the 29th floor so was probably amplified but we were both feeling quite disoriented and knew straight away it was a tremor.

For this very reason I would not live in your condo for one day.

Umm, I'm in Chiang Mai, and to me it lasted about 30 seconds. Scary as s***! I live in a 15 story bldg, 4th floor, so we went outside. Farangs all lined up outside, about 15 feet from the building. My wife went over to stand with them, and I told her to come with me over to the wat across the street, about 50 meters away with a few other structures in between, where there was less chance of a 15-story bldg coming down on top of us. Holy cow! It was freaky! My wife's tip-toeing around now. Lol.

Excuse me, but going outside is the biggest mistake of those who die in earthquakes... killed by falling debris, cut by broken glass etc etc Net time, stay inside beneath a solid structure e.g. table

Strong earthquake shakes northern Thailand

CHIANG RAI: A strong and shallow earthquake rattled northern Thailand this evening (May 5), shaking tall buildings in Bangkok hundreds of miles to the south, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

1399298171_1-org.jpg
A road severely cracked by the quake.

The 6.0-Richter-magnitude quake, at a depth of just 7.4 kilometres struck just after 6 pm (1100 GMT), the US Geological Survey said.

The epicentre was around 27 kilometres from Chiang Rai.

Residents said they had seen cracked building facades, broken shop windows and damage to roads. An offical said power had been cut in Phan district where the epicentre was.

"So far there are no reports of injured or dead," said Manat Khamtai, head of the Disaster Mitigation Department in Chiang Rai province.

"In Phan there's a report that a school building has been cracked and the power is still out across the district," he said.

As darkness fell another official warned residents in the province to brace for aftershocks.

"This is the most powerful earthquake to strike the country in recent times," Burin Wechbunthung, a seismologist at the Meteorological Department, said, adding there have been five aftershocks within a 150-kilometre radius of the epicentre.

A resident in Chiang Rai reported around 10 seconds of vigorous shaking, followed by several aftershocks.

"It was a very big quake... but hopefully the damage is not too bad," Tuenjai Deetes said.

"I heard that the head of a Buddha statue at a temple in Phan district fell off in the earthquake and parts of the ceiling at Chiang Rai airport collapsed," she added.

The area is a remote mountain retreat near the border with Myanmar and Laos and popular with foreign tourists.

Another official from the Meteorological Department said the quake had a 6.1-magnitude.

"The earthquake occurred on the Phayao fault line. This fault line covers Phayao and Chiang Rai provinces. Officials are checking how bad the damage is," Sophon Chaiya told reporters.

The quake was felt in the city of Chiang Mai 160 kilometres (100 miles) southwest of Chiang Rai and as far away as Bangkok, 800 kilometres to the south, where tall buildings shook for several seconds.

It was also felt in Myanmar's commercial centre of Yangon, an AFP reporter there said.

Major earthquakes are rare in Thailand, although tremors often strike the north of the country.

A 6.8-magnitude quake hit Myanmar's eastern state of Shan in March 2011, leaving dozens dead near the border with Thailand and Laos and reducing homes and government buildings to rubble.

The area hit in 2011 is close to Chiang Rai and prompted the then-government to call for a review of Thailand's preparedness for a major seismic event.

Chiang Rai province is dotted with national parks which draw droves of tourists, many of them travelling from Chiang Mai.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/strong-earthquake-shakes-northern-thailand-46110.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-05

Strongest ever quake strikes Chiang Rai

Bm35yLFCcAAhnVM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- A 6.1 magnitude quake struck Chiang Rai province at 6.08 p.m. Monday night, causing extensive damage to properties in the northern provinces.

The earthquake with its epi-center in Phan distric at the depth of 10 kilometers was felt by people living on high-rise buildings in Bangkok with many of them reporting objects falling from shelves and people and tourists in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai provinces running out to the streets from hotels.

Authorities warn people in the earthquake areas to stay in safe places as there might be aftershocks in one or two days.

The National Disaster Warning Center will keep providing updates on the situation

Heavy damages were reported in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai.

Many roads, such as the Mae Lao – Mae Sruai highway, suffered major damage and many homes developed cracks as a result of the quake. Authorities are in the midst of assessing the extent of the damage caused by the quake.

Residents in Chiang Mai said the tremor was felt for around two to three minutes.

Group Captain Somsak Khaosuwan, the director of the National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC), stated that Monday’s earth quake was the largest ever recorded in Thailand.

He also warned that people living in or close to the Phan district fault line as well as residents in the north to be extra careful and be ready for possible after-shocks which may occur in the next one to two days.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/strongest-ever-quake-strikes-chiang-rai/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=strongest-ever-quake-strikes-chiang-rai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-05

I felt it at 6:08. Am less than 20 miles from epicenter. I'm from California, and get a thrill when experiencing earthquakes. I built a house here with 6 inch thick solid masonry walls with so much re-bar I can't use a cell phone from within the house. So, I'd like to see how strong an earthquake this place could withstand. Hope no one got hurt. A few dogs started howling, but other than that and a few ferral cats scampering, the animals around here didn't mind the earth shaking.

"move on over baby, there's a whole lot of shakin' goin' on"

- Jerry Lee Lewis

• Like 2

Felt it very strong here in Hang Dong area in CM. I could see houses going up and down. As if the earth was pushing up. It was scary. My car was shaking that the car alarm went off.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We had a similar experience here in San Sai Noi. Two distinct jolts. The second one longer and stronger than the first.. The second one lasted about 15 seconds. Sleep lightly tonight.

• Like 1

Nothing here in Sukhothai as far as I know. I was on the balcony of our two story house at the time prepping the camera and tripod for some astro photography and I didn't notice anything. My kids were down in the garden at that time too and nothing was noticed.

Chiang Rai: -- A 6.1 magnitude earthquake happened in Thailand’s Phan district of Chiang Rai province at about 6.10 p.m. causing widespread damages to property of residents in many districts of Chiang Rai.

The earthquake was felt by people staying on high-rise buildings in Bangkok. Residents living on Baiyok Tower reported swinging of hanging lamps and falling objects from shelves.

A Teseco Lotus superstore in Chiang Rai also reported falling ceiling and goods from display shelves.

Another resident of Chiang Rai told JS 100 Radio Statin that a four-story building has four supporting poles cracked and a hundred years old pagoda in Chiang Rai also inclined.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/39753/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=39753

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-05

Strong earthquake shakes northern Thailand

CHIANG RAI: A strong and shallow earthquake rattled northern Thailand this evening (May 5), shaking tall buildings in Bangkok hundreds of miles to the south, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

1399298171_1-org.jpg

A road severely cracked by the quake.

The 6.0-Richter-magnitude quake, at a depth of just 7.4 kilometres struck just after 6 pm (1100 GMT), the US Geological Survey said.

The epicentre was around 27 kilometres from Chiang Rai.

Residents said they had seen cracked building facades, broken shop windows and damage to roads. An offical said power had been cut in Phan district where the epicentre was.

"So far there are no reports of injured or dead," said Manat Khamtai, head of the Disaster Mitigation Department in Chiang Rai province.

"In Phan there's a report that a school building has been cracked and the power is still out across the district," he said.

As darkness fell another official warned residents in the province to brace for aftershocks.

"This is the most powerful earthquake to strike the country in recent times," Burin Wechbunthung, a seismologist at the Meteorological Department, said, adding there have been five aftershocks within a 150-kilometre radius of the epicentre.

A resident in Chiang Rai reported around 10 seconds of vigorous shaking, followed by several aftershocks.

"It was a very big quake... but hopefully the damage is not too bad," Tuenjai Deetes said.

"I heard that the head of a Buddha statue at a temple in Phan district fell off in the earthquake and parts of the ceiling at Chiang Rai airport collapsed," she added.

The area is a remote mountain retreat near the border with Myanmar and Laos and popular with foreign tourists.

Another official from the Meteorological Department said the quake had a 6.1-magnitude.

"The earthquake occurred on the Phayao fault line. This fault line covers Phayao and Chiang Rai provinces. Officials are checking how bad the damage is," Sophon Chaiya told reporters.

The quake was felt in the city of Chiang Mai 160 kilometres (100 miles) southwest of Chiang Rai and as far away as Bangkok, 800 kilometres to the south, where tall buildings shook for several seconds.

It was also felt in Myanmar's commercial centre of Yangon, an AFP reporter there said.

Major earthquakes are rare in Thailand, although tremors often strike the north of the country.

A 6.8-magnitude quake hit Myanmar's eastern state of Shan in March 2011, leaving dozens dead near the border with Thailand and Laos and reducing homes and government buildings to rubble.

The area hit in 2011 is close to Chiang Rai and prompted the then-government to call for a review of Thailand's preparedness for a major seismic event.

Chiang Rai province is dotted with national parks which draw droves of tourists, many of them travelling from Chiang Mai.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/strong-earthquake-shakes-northern-thailand-46110.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-05-05

Oh my goodness that photo is terrible..............just look how thin the tarmac is!!

I felt it at 6:08. Am less than 20 miles from epicenter. I'm from California, and get a thrill when experiencing earthquakes. I built a house here with 6 inch thick solid masonry walls with so much re-bar I can't use a cell phone from within the house. So, I'd like to see how strong an earthquake this place could withstand. Hope no one got hurt. A few dogs started howling, but other than that and a few ferral cats scampering, the animals around here didn't mind the earth shaking.

"move on over baby, there's a whole lot of shakin' goin' on"

- Jerry Lee Lewis

Flexibility is the key not thick concrete. Japans wooden buildings etc

Bm35yLFCcAAhnVM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Glad that guy didn't lose his pointing finger.

They're in urgent need of some twigs. Gonna be some fun on those roads tonight. :rolleyes:

My heart goes out to the less fortunate people of Lao and Burma who may be effected in worse ways without much hope of genuine help.

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1