Running and dog frustrations

atpeace

Water pistol filled with vinegar - one squirt in the face and they'll run yelping, probably never to return.

Only problem is that most water pistols leak a bit, and you'll end up smelling like fish and chips.

Just how long a range has a water pistol got.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

About 4 miles judging by the huge things I've seen at Songkran.

Ha Ha.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been said the problem is the OP's aura:-) Dogs can detect your insecurity.

Carry and empty 600ml water bottle and if a dog advances towards you give it a squeeze so it makes a crackling sound that and wave it at them.

Dogs are territorial.

There are two kinds of dogs you'll meet on the road: The ones whom you are running through their territory, and the ones whom are out and about, away from their territory.

The first kind will put you through the gauntlet and be cause for all these posts. You are coming on their territory!

The second kind may challenge you (MAY), but not likely. They are off territory and most likely will cross the street away from you and bark or growl to warn you against attacking them.

So here is what you do: It is likely when you are out on a long run that every so often you need to slow to a walk to catch your breathe or to prepare for a good sprint. With this in mind, time your slow-downs and walks to the areas where the territorial dogs are, and simply walk through that 100 meters of territory, and then pick up the pace again.

Problem solved.

And if you are the kind who wants to rip through a 10K run, then I'll wager you do not do this every time you go out. You probably do this once a week for a timed run. If this is the case, then save those special timed runs for a vicinity where it is more peaceful and less populated.

If you are in a city center, then by all means take a song taew to a local public school and run on the track, and go further for those special days.

Merely my thoughts.

EDIT: One final thought. When slowing down in these territorial areas (probably no more than a 50 or 60 meter stretch) then would be the good time to throw down some kibble to the Alpha dog.

My experience with packs is to accurately select the Alpha dog and feed ONLY THAT DOG. do not feed the other dogs. ONLY THE ALPHA DOG.

Win that Alpha dog, and he will be your friend and snap at any other dog who is stupid enough to make friends with you or to come at you. In a strange sense, you will be his, and since he won his superiority through strength, he will let the other dogs know you are his.

Pick that dog, and only feed that dog, and you will have personal security when in his territory. Just watch how fast he comes running to you with his tail wagging and ears alert to get some kibble. He will push to the front and snap the others away.

Good luck when catching your breathe.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

Giving them treats to distract them will only reinforce their behaviour. You will condition them to chase you every time you come past. You want the dogs to associate you with pain, or discomfort, so they avoid you. There are lots of ways you can do this. Pepper spray sounds a little overboard, a wooden cane or swift kick would be just as effective.

You may try to sound convincing but you are obviously not an expert in animal behavior nor does it appear you are doing anything more than speculating with no real experience. Positive reinforcement has long been proven to have superior results to the negative reinforcement you suggest.

Additionally, your suggestion the OP kick the dog is very dangerous. The OP risks serious injury from a Soi dog with a high risk of exposure to the Rabies virus and a dog bite that will curtail any running career if she attempts to kick the dog.

The OP might also consider receiving the simple and non-painful Rabies vaccination from a local clinic. It only requires 3 quick visits to a clinic and a cost of about 300 Baht per visit.

I am an avid runner and involved directly with animal rescue campaigns in developing countries.

Run towards the dogs and they will back off.

One danger of this method is that when the OP turns back around to run, the dogs are likely to chase the OP again and its typical behavior for a fearful and protective dog to attack from behind and bite at the runners calves.

Edited by ClutchClark

So here is what you do: It is likely when you are out on a long run that every so often you need to slow to a walk to catch your breathe or to prepare for a good sprint. With this in mind, time your slow-downs and walks to the areas where the territorial dogs are, and simply walk through that 100 meters of territory, and then pick up the pace again.

This is what I do and it has worked for me for the last 20 years. Never got attacked or bitten.

I run most days with my labrador, who feels in addition to being pace setter, he should also protect the boss from any four legged fiends and will willingly have a go at them. Whilst this sounds like a good solution, as most dogs back down, particularly as this is accompanied by me shouting BYE, a couple of times (Thai for go away). I did come across one very persistant fella, who was built like the preverble brick what not, and did not appear to be prepared to back down. He was still about 15 meters away and the ruse of picking up a stone, seemed to have little effect, so I lobbed it at him missing him by about a meter, but the damn stone bounced and hit him between the eyes. He stood looking very shocked and as if to say, "Hey mate, that wasn't necessary, was it?" We ran past him whilst he was still in shock and pleased to say have not seen him since. I did feel bad afterwards, but hey ho life must go on.

So I'm not the only one crossing the street to avoid these feral beasts! If it's just the odd one then I'll slow down to a non-threatening, slightly crouched, walk until I'm off their turf. A pack of them and I'll do a volte face and pick another route! The bane of anyone travelling khon diaow on foot!

There are two kinds of dogs: Dead dogs and Live dogs. All the rest is anthropomorphic BullSh_t.

A most abstract way of commenting on a much larger challenge; running and not having your run interrupted by canines.

Although I agree, I posed my solution simply because it works.

In this case (or your case), you cannot make the mountain come to you.

Fair enough. Personally I never had a problem in 20 years of cycling and running in SE Asia but if I had, I would go the vinegar way. Pepper spray on a dog's sensitive nose sounds pretty cruel, never mind tazers and batons.

Where do you live? If you run any faster than a fast walk, dogs are an issue in Isaan. Not life threatening but definitely a pain in the butt. Nothing worse than when you are running a fast tempo and in a zone that is interrupted by a dog that won't leave you alone. Easy enough to run at them once or twice to back them down but screws up the experience.

The vinegar would do the trick if it wasn't for the owners nearby. on second thought, most instances the owners aren't around with exception of my favorite route. Might do a 5 am run past the dogs when the owner is sleeping and douse them vinegar.

OP

I sympathize completely...this issue of dogs in Thailand is so annoying (that and the driving here are the 2 things that make me despair of my hosts, all other things I can accept).

Clearly you must be upcountry somewhere? Stray dogs chasing people in Bangkok and Pattaya doesnt sem to happen (at least in my 10 years experience of running everyday in Thailand). I only experience this issue when upcountry (meaning anywhere outside of Changmai, Bangkok or Pattaya).

I simply do not run anymore where there are dogs as its just too nerve wracking...BUT what does work is to carry 2 big stones in your hands and if a dog comes for you then FIRST pretend to bend down like you are picking up a stone (and they will usually run away at that point) and then throw the stone at them..this always works....but honestly its still all too much hassle.

Anyways the ones that are barking and running at you are seldom a problem...its the ones that are silent and coming at you in full attack mode that worry me (not the ones that are barking in warning mode).

Fair enough. Personally I never had a problem in 20 years of cycling and running in SE Asia but if I had, I would go the vinegar way. Pepper spray on a dog's sensitive nose sounds pretty cruel, never mind tazers and batons.

Where do you live? If you run any faster than a fast walk, dogs are an issue in Isaan. Not life threatening but definitely a pain in the butt. Nothing worse than when you are running a fast tempo and in a zone that is interrupted by a dog that won't leave you alone. Easy enough to run at them once or twice to back them down but screws up the experience.

The vinegar would do the trick if it wasn't for the owners nearby. on second thought, most instances the owners aren't around with exception of my favorite route. Might do a 5 am run past the dogs when the owner is sleeping and douse them vinegar.

Lived 15 years in Vietnam and 5 years in Cambodia but am in Thailand at least once a month. The only place I do not run outside is BKK as the curbs are murder. I havr run in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai. Krabi and a couple of other places. Not in Isaan admittedly.

Lived 15 years in Vietnam and 5 years in Cambodia but am in Thailand at least once a month. The only place I do not run outside is BKK as the curbs are murder. I havr run in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai. Krabi and a couple of other places. Not in Isaan admittedly.

I don't understand your statement about the curbs in BKK, could you elaborate?

You really need to run in Lumpini Park on a Sunday morning. Its a memorable experience and allows for an excellent connection with the Thai culture. (Atleast now that the protesters are gone).

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

I don't understand your statement about the curbs in BKK, could you elaborate?

You really need to run in Lumpini Park on a Sunday morning. Its a memorable experience and allows for an excellent connection with the Thai culture. (Atleast now that the protesters are gone).

I have run in Lumpini, but it is a little to crowded for me and too may walkers dragging along 10 across.

Where I usually stay (at the Narathiwas), the curbs are monstrous and I find it hard to get a rhythm going. Plus traffic is pretty heavy, even st 4am.

• 2 months later...

Best option: small water gun. I always carry one when I run (there can be some pretty aggressive dogs in my neighbourhood) and this puts them right off. They keep their distance and it's easy for your to keep running and shoot them at the same time so not as annoying on your run.

• Like 1

OP,

I run every day and never have a problem with dogs.

Get a Pitbull, they love running and stray dogs disappear rapidly.

In my neighbourhood running with a dog actually makes me MORE of a target. But there are a LOT of dogs in my neighbourhood and they're usually not alone....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

OP,

I run every day and never have a problem with dogs.

Get a Pitbull, they love running and stray dogs disappear rapidly.

In my neighbourhood running with a dog actually makes me MORE of a target. But there are a LOT of dogs in my neighbourhood and they're usually not alone....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mate. Get a scary dog. They really work. Shedloads of dogs where I am too, in packs also.

They scatter like rabbits when the pitbull appears.

There is a dog in my Soi that has bitten 4 people that I know of, including 2 children. I was trying to work out the most humane to kill it, strychnine or ripping its throat out with my bare hands. The owners attitude is just "<deleted> off, its not my problem", If it comes at me again i was wondering whether the self-defense card would stand up?.... "it came at me and looked rabid"

If I had a car I would actually try to hit it, a bit to risky on the bike.

Sniper rifle with telescopic sights so you can eliminate the bastard without even leaving your house.